Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT - Blues Harmonica
Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: December 21, 2016 15:43

Been playing harp on and off for forty years and it's a lot of fun. It adds loads to jams, particularly when there are too many guitarists. As stated earlier here, learn cross harp style for blues and related music. Most useful are a C (crossed to G) and an A (crossed to E). Don't buy a cheap harp as it's a waste of money. Get a mid-price Hohner or better. Try to keep it clean to stop the reeds clogging (OK, at least tap out the saliva before you put it away after a play and don't snack between songs). Most harps can be opened up and cleaned, but it's tricky and best avoided if you're not sure what you're doing.

My current favourites are the Suzuki Manji and various Seydel harps (including the Session Steel which I prefer to some of the more expensive harps they produce).

Once you can get that "train" noise on the lower draw holes, you're on your way. It's like riding a bike. Once you learn that, you'll never forget it and can start building round it. I would recommend learning to play by ear along with some good blues recordings (get a friendly guitar player to work out the keys for you if you can't yet do that yourself). Instruction books, etc, tend to be a bit technical for such an organic sounding instrument - develop your own style at your own pace and make sure you listen to some of the Chicago greats (basically anyone that was in Muddy's band).

Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: December 22, 2016 06:15

Was looking at Pignose amps, any thoughts? Best amp for a beginner?

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: December 23, 2016 05:29

JohnnyBGoode
Was looking at Pignose amps, any thoughts? Best amp for a beginner?

Very nice tone from a Pignose.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 23, 2016 05:37

Zappa used a Pignose, so certainly not only for beginners!

Posted by: ab ()
Date: December 23, 2016 06:48

Not to hijack the thread, but here's the link to Zappa playing through a Pignose.

[www.youtube.com]

In the hands of the right player, even a little beginner amp can make beautiful music.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 23, 2016 07:22

I love so much harmonica on Stones records from "Honest I Do" and "Look What You Done" in the early days to "Midnight Rambler" on YA-YA's to "Stop Breaking Down" on EXILE. Mick plays very differently in modern times, but "Deep Down Under" from his MTV Australia special in 1988, "Fancy Man Blues" and "Break the Spell" from the STEEL WHEELS sessions would be my favorite moments of recent vintage.

Posted by: dadrob ()
Date: December 23, 2016 17:39

any small fender amp like a blue jr make nice harp amps. the mic matters too of course. I use a shure bullet.

Posted by: alexisjagger ()
Date: December 23, 2016 23:38

JohnnyBGoode
Just bought a harmonica today, going to watch youtube videos all weekend and try to play something good before Christmas. Any harp players here? I want to get obsessed with it!

Please share what you know with me! I have an Harmonica and I also want to learn how to play it!

Greetings!

Posted by: dadrob ()
Date: December 24, 2016 00:05

Joe filisko
or
jason ricci and ronnie shellist

Youtube is a lot easier for guitar lessons since one can see the fingers moving. you cannot see a tongue behind the harp

Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: December 24, 2016 00:13

You can get a lot out of any microphone, a harmonica and an Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer pedal. Lee Oskar harmonicas are the best for the money. The plastic reeds don't get gummed up. For cross-harping, like was said above, get a decent harp in A, and try to play along with any blues song in the key of E. Turn the gain down on the TS-9, and you can dial-in a warm, natural blues harp sound.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-24 07:23 by Socrates1.

Date: December 24, 2016 07:20

You'll probably need one of these things:

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-24 09:05 by Socrates1.

Date: December 27, 2016 01:51

Came across The London Howlin' Wolf Sessions that Charlie Watts plays on in the local record store today and bought it. Haven't listened yet, but those who have, what are your thoughts?

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: December 27, 2016 04:48

JohnnyBGoode
Came across The London Howlin' Wolf Sessions that Charlie Watts plays on in the local record store today and bought it. Haven't listened yet, but those who have, what are your thoughts?

I liked this album a lot back in the day. The Wolf isn't at the peak of his powers, but the young limeys do a great job backing him up. They include Bill Wyman and Ian Stewart as well (and Clapton, and Steve Winwood, and Ringo....). Hubert Sumlin appears also. Some great takes on Wolf's classics, and a few interesting arrangements.

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: December 27, 2016 04:55

JohnnyBGoode

I have this album, but haven't listened to it in probably 20 years! I will have to dig it out and listen to it again.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 27, 2016 06:31

Came across The London Howlin' Wolf Sessions that Charlie Watts
plays on in the local record store today and bought it. Haven't listened
yet, but those who have, what are your thoughts?

Good but nothing like the sheer slaughter-house power of those first Sun/Bihari Brothers recordings from August 1951 .... Willie Johnson's guitar ...
then the Chess stuff kickin' off around 1954 ....

Howlin' Wolf - Memphis Days - The definitive edition vol1 - Bear Family
...guitar on Come Back Home is fuckiiiin lethal ....
Howlin' Wolf - Memphis Days - The definitive Edition Vol2 - Bear Family
Howlin' Wolf - Rides Again - Ace CDCHD 333

Howlin' Wolf - The Chess Box - CDH3-9332

ROCKMAN

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: December 27, 2016 21:45

Hasn't Charlie Musselwhite also got an instruction book with a CD ?

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: December 27, 2016 22:46

JohnnyBGoode

The great harp playing on that album was provided by the legendary Jeff Carp. An amazing player who, not long after recording the London Sessions, jumped overboard during a fight on a cruise ship and was never found. He also played with Muddy, John Lee & Earl Hooker, & Lightnin Hopkins. Sad story, talented dude!

Edit: To answer your question, I always loved it! I've read some negative responses from blues purists that didn't think all of those British white boys were authentic, but I always thought it rocked!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-27 22:55 by Ross.

Date: December 28, 2016 06:28

I remember liking the Muddy Waters London Sessions over the Howlin' Wolf London Sessions. Two albums I used to play harmonica to.

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: December 28, 2016 15:27

Years ago I got a copy of "Country & Blues Harmonica for the musically hopeless" by Jon Gindick,which came with a Hohner blues harp(E).It was fun /helpful to check out..still have it ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-28 15:30 by detroitken.

Date: December 30, 2016 18:24

Bought a Hohner Special 20 yesterday as the other one I had was a Hohner Blues Band harp. Starting to get a decent feel for playing, I love it!

Posted by: MidnightPeanut ()
Date: December 30, 2016 21:28

Winslow is a huge talent and a fine man.

[www.amazon.com]

[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: TheBadRabbit ()
Date: December 31, 2016 22:22

JohnnyBGoode

One of my favorite discs! Check out "Do the Do" and "Wang Dang Doodle"

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1456
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home