Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Stones first drummer
Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: December 13, 2016 14:59

During the first gig at Marquee in '62 who was the drummer:Mick Avory or Tony Chapman...What is the thrut?!

Re: Stones first drummer
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 13, 2016 15:01

KOK : It is said that you had played several gigs with the Rolling Stones before you joined The Kinks. Did you have any doubts about joining and have you ever had any regrets that you decided to play with The Kinks.

MA : No, I didn't actually play a gig with the Stones. I just rehearsed to do a gig with them, but it never happened. They told me they were looking for a permanent drummer, but I had a day job the other side of London and didn't envisage playing in a band for a living.

It was two years later that I joined the Kinks and it was quite an adjustment for me, but I had no regrets, certainly not musically.

[kastoffkinks.co.uk]

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: December 13, 2016 15:24

Yeah, first line up was Mick, Keith, Brian, Stu, Tony Chapman and Dick Taylor.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: December 13, 2016 15:49

from Tony Chapman they learned about Bill Wyman...

smiling smiley

Posted by: VideoJames ()
Date: December 14, 2016 10:25

mailexile67
During the first gig at Marquee in '62 who was the drummer:Mick Avory or Tony Chapman...What is the thrut?!

Tony Chapman was the first drummer at the first gig (July 12, 1962). I interviewed him many years ago. I also spoke with Mick Avory. Chapman was rehearsing with the band but disappeared. So the band panic and tried to find another drummer quickly.. So they contacted a guy named Syd Payne (he was a drummer that advertised a lot in Melody Maker back then) I spoke with him also, Mick Avory was recommended by Payne (they wanted Payne but they didn't realize he was much older and wouldn't fit the bands image) Avory had played drums in his son's band at the time, so he said try using him.
They placed an ad in Jazz News announcing who would be in the band at the time Avory agreed to play. But the very next day Chapman was in contact with the band and Stu called Avory and said they got a hold of their drummer and he was not needed anymore..That's why Avory's name was listed in the line up in the July 11th issue of Jazz News. Avory told me the first time he had seen the Stones play live was when the Stones & the Kinks were on the same bill together on a RSG show... FYI...Another drummer that played many gigs with the Stones back than was a drummer named Colin Golding. (first mentioned in my book on the Stones) Golding was a drummer in the band "The Presidents' Who's front man was Glyn Johns. Stu and Glyn were flat mates back then. It was Glyn who helped the Stones get their first gigs at the Red Lion. (that's a whole other story). Carlo Little was another drummer who played with the Stones in 1962 & early 63 years. Micky Waller
played drums for one gig on March 15th, 1964 when Charlie went missing (He got married) and could not make it back for the gig. I hope that helps clear things up.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: December 14, 2016 11:52

@ Videojames
Your info has been very precious, thanks a lot!

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: December 14, 2016 12:07

...James Karnbach..??

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: December 15, 2016 08:54

James Phelge. Do you recall the first Stones gig you saw?

Date: December 15, 2016 10:25

VideoJames is not Phelge smiling smiley

Both are posting on IORR.

Posted by: JamesPhelge00 ()
Date: December 17, 2016 19:15

DGA35

I was at their first gig at the Marquee July 1962 - Where they performed a chaotic electric racket in place of music - but they had attitude.

I didn't know them then - and I had just moved out of 10 British Grove where I was born as the 100 year old house was being demolished. Blue & Lonesome was recorded at 20 British which used to be a laundry adjoining a foundry/blacksmiths. Milkman delivered with a horse and cart in those days..... One side of British Grove is in Chiswick and the other side - where the studio is - is in Hammersmith. We had different garbage collection people etc for each side of the street,

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: December 18, 2016 06:01

Thanks for the informations VideoJames!

Posted by: varilla ()
Date: December 18, 2016 09:10

do you know if there is any recording of this gigs with other drummers?

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: December 18, 2016 20:05

VideoJames, are you 100% sure that Tony Chapman (and not Mick Avory) played drums at the first gig on the 12th of July? From what I've read and understood, Tony responded to this advert in Melody Maker from 18th of August 1962:

"DRUMMER required for Rhythm and Blues Band, knowledge of idiom preferred. Phone – Dartford 20187 (evenings)"

Dick Taylor recalls that Tony Chapman then rehearsed with the band at the Jagger family house in Denver Road, Dartford, the next day and got the job.

From that moment on, Tony was their main drummer until they started looking for a replacement in November 1962, and he was finally sacked on January 10th 1963 before or after the gig at Marquee.

His first gig might have been at Ealing on 18th of August, but I've never heard that he played with the band before that advert was issued in Melody Maker on the same day.

There has also been mentioned a drummer called Steve Holmes that supposedly played a gig or two. I don't know if that's true, but it seems certain that Carlo Little played a few gigs with The Stones.

And one more thing: Are you sure Colin Golding played drums? I was sure he played bass, not drums. (Ricky Fenson/Brown was another bassist who played a few gigs before Bill was hired as an official member.)

Of course, I might be wrong, as I have been many times before. Please correct me with details and facts!

Date: December 18, 2016 20:37

Avory stated himself that he never played a gig with the Stones.

Date: December 18, 2016 23:33

Hi Worst... Yes,you are correct Colin Golding played the bass..I should not post at 4 AM any more. I was thinking of the less known people who played with the Stones in 62 at the time and but was still on the drummer mode..DUH! Thanks for the correction. BTW..Golding is in my book as the bass player and not a drummer..

I have never heard of a Steve Holmes as a drummer? I think you might have meant Steve Harris as another possible drummer.He has been mention in various articles and books. But I have never been able confirm that. I do know he played drums for I believe (full name slips me) John Williams big band or something like that in 1962. But as far as Chapman on drums 100% sure as he told me himself (I interviewed him a couple of times many years ago).
I have spoken with Mick Avory and he also confirmed he did not ever play with the Stones "live".
Carlo Little who I interviewed many time and he kept a diary which helped me out a lot as to when he played with the Stones and he always played with Ricky (Brown) Fensen on bass.
Keith has said in his book "Life" that Charlie Watts played the drums at their first gig. But Charlie was playing with Alexis Korner that same night on the radio show "Jazz Club" (Which is why the Stones got their break to play at the Marquee).
BTW there is a tape recording of that whole radio show. One track from that radio session was legally released on one of Alexis's L.P. also.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: December 19, 2016 00:12

VideoJames
BTW there is a tape recording of that whole radio show. One track from that radio session was legally released on one of Alexis's L.P. also.
[www.youtube.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 19, 2016 00:17

Deltics
VideoJames
[www.youtube.com]

thumbs up

Date: December 19, 2016 00:27

Thanks for Your answer VJ.
I must have meant Steve Harris I guess.
When we're at it, do you know anything about the claim that Paul Jones sang on September 8th 1963 at Ealing instead of Mick Jagger - the one rare occasion when Mick didn't sing for The Rolling Stones? Is it true or false?

Date: December 19, 2016 01:02

Yes,this is true. Dick Taylor told me this when we spoke years ago. Also when I spoke with Keith Richards he confirmed Mick missing a gig. The date is not 100%, but very close if it is off. As you know Brian had wanted Paul Jones to be the singer in the Stones. When the Stones had the demo tape rejected because they sounded "to colored". Jones told the guy we can replace the singer. So most likely Jones contacted Paul Jones to fill in for Mick. Remember at that time almost no one really knew who was in the Stones, plus they were still playing old blues songs so the set list would not be a problem for someone like Paul Jones to do. Hope that helps.

Date: December 19, 2016 01:55

Thanks again for your answer.
PS: I wrote 1963 in my text above, but obviously I meant 8th of Sept. 1962.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: December 19, 2016 02:11

JamesPhelge00
DGA35

I was at their first gig at the Marquee July 1962 - Where they performed a chaotic electric racket in place of music - but they had attitude.

I didn't know them then - and I had just moved out of 10 British Grove where I was born as the 100 year old house was being demolished. Blue & Lonesome was recorded at 20 British which used to be a laundry adjoining a foundry/blacksmiths. Milkman delivered with a horse and cart in those days..... One side of British Grove is in Chiswick and the other side - where the studio is - is in Hammersmith. We had different garbage collection people etc for each side of the street,

Nice to see a posting from Phelge. (Great book!)

Strangely I spent my youth in that area (having moved there from disturbingly close to Edith Grove) - living in Chiswick and working Saturdays at my aunt's shop in the Goldhawk Road. Must have walked past that area a thousand times.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: j.b.goode ()
Date: December 23, 2016 04:05

wishfull thinking by brian:
earl phillips was american blues drummer, who played and recorded with
howlin' wolf, jimmy reed, john lee hooker, eddie taylor and many others.......

Posted by: bengigan ()
Date: July 12, 2022 15:48

60 years ago today Charlie played with Blues Incorporated

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: July 13, 2022 05:02

So who was Earl Phillips?

Date: July 13, 2022 10:50

Cooltoplady
So who was Earl Phillips?

A joke in this context, as they didn't have a drummer at that point.

Phillips was Howlin' Wolf's drummer.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: July 15, 2022 05:13

I’m just rereading Keith’s book and it’s at the paragraph about this show! I then remembered seeing this thread....

Keith says Mick Avory.
I would defer to what Wyman says on the subject though....

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 15, 2022 05:52

Clearly before Charlie they went through a few people looking for a drummer. So some individuals were fortunate enough to play drums with the Stones, but Charlie was the first drummer.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: July 15, 2022 06:53

Paddy
I’m just rereading Keith’s book and it’s at the paragraph about this show! I then remembered seeing this thread....

Keith says Mick Avory.

Bill wasn't there, so will not join in these sorts of discussions.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: July 15, 2022 08:37

CaptainCorella
Paddy

Keith says Mick Avory.

Tony Chapman apparently “introduced” Bill Wyman to the Stones. The two were musically engaged sharing the same band for some time. The Stones may have been part of their musical conversations during that time. Bill knows more than he has been credited for. Interesting is the circulation of a photo taken in Demcember 1962 showing Brian, Keith and Mick with Bill Wyman (no Charlie off course).

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: July 15, 2022 11:59

CaptainCorella
Paddy

Keith says Mick Avory.

Yeah I know Bill wasn’t there, but I do think he’d know. He’s the most reliably detailed of them that I’ve come across in their books.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1637
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home