Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728Next
Current Page: 24 of 28
Re: OT: U2 stuff
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 14, 2023 01:11

Tate
treaclefingers
bam
Hairball
Sounds like elevator music, but maybe that's what they were going for?
Something you might here at dentists office, or at a grocery store...bland and harmless background music.

The power — of a tremendously powerful song - is gone. To me, it’s just a fading echo of what was once great.

Perhaps unintentionally, an analogy of the band itself?

Remember, those old songs still exist in their happy original form. The new takes are not intended to better the old ones. They're just new interpretations. U2 covering U2 at 62. A fun project for band members that aligns with Bono's book (which I enjoyed quite a bit). If the new version of 'Pride' sounds weird or void of emotion in comparison to the 1984 version, maybe it's because the 62 year-old band members are simply different humans than they were at 24. Different artists even. It's ok to not be swept off your feet by these new takes. I'm still looking forward to hearing them.

It reminds me of Sinatra rerecording a lot of his catalogue at an older age...I always felt it a bit sad. If people are digging it though, that's great.

OT: U2 stuff
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: February 12, 2023 14:27

U2 teases MSG Sphere in Super Bowl ad

By John Katsilometes
February 10, 2023

A screenshot of the U2 ad to run on Super Bowl Sunday (Full Coverage Communications)

[www.reviewjournal.com]

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: February 12, 2023 17:21

Anyone have a prediction for ticket prices for the Vegas residency?

Will Bono and co. demand that the purchased tickets are non-transferable as a goodwill gesture to their denizens of loyal followers in order to keep prices reasonable?

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: February 12, 2023 17:55

JimmyTheSaint

Will Bono and co. demand that the purchased tickets are non-transferable as a goodwill gesture to their denizens of loyal followers in order to keep prices reasonable?

Many, many dollars. It should be interesting to see if Larry plays these shows or if they have another drummer. Recovery for back surgery isn't easy (from personal experience).

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: February 13, 2023 05:06

Oh my. Achtung Baby Live @ the Sphere. That could be worth going to.

Date: February 13, 2023 05:26

Extended trailer:

[www.u2xsphere.com]
--

U2 Announces ‘Achtung Baby’ Concerts at New Las Vegas Venue — Without Drummer Larry Mullen Jr.

by Jem Aswad
February 12, 2023

[variety.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-13 05:30 by bye bye johnny.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 13, 2023 05:31

Gonna guess a contract was signed before Larry decided.

Well... it's only rock'n'roll.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: February 13, 2023 06:16

crholmstrom
JimmyTheSaint

My prediction is they will run between $150 and $1500, with VIP packages going higher.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-13 18:45 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: February 13, 2023 07:10

TornAndFried
crholmstrom
JimmyTheSaint

Many, many dollars. It should be interesting to see if Larry plays these shows or if they have another drummer. Recovery for back surgery isn't easy (from personal experience).

It was announced that Larry Mullen will be skipping the Las Vegas residency, presumably to recover from his shoulder/elbow surgery. They will be using a drummer named Bram van den Berg for those shows. No word yet on whether Larry will join them when they tour in 2024.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: February 13, 2023 07:20

I will be in for a couple.

Date: February 13, 2023 09:40

that is the drummer of a (mediocre) only dutch known band called krezip who had their fame around 2000.

Suprising to say at least.

Posted by: DiamondDog7 ()
Date: February 13, 2023 11:16

PaintMonkeyManBlack
that is the drummer of a (mediocre) only dutch known band called krezip who had their fame around 2000.

Suprising to say at least.

Agreed! A big suprise! I really don't like Krezip. Annoying Dutch band! Overhyped here, but they had hits. Lousy songs though.

But how did that drummer got the U2 gig?? I'm happy for him. But I'm so suprised. LOL

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: February 13, 2023 18:27

Really @#$%& hate it won't be Larry. For a band thats had all its members all this time, sad to see this'll be the first time they break from those 4.

Date: February 13, 2023 18:58

Not the first time. Adam Clayton went missing in Australia in 1993 and was replaced by his bass tech for a show in Sydney.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: February 13, 2023 19:02

bye bye johnny
Not the first time. Adam Clayton went missing in Australia in 1993 and was replaced by his bass tech for a show in Sydney.

For a significant run of shows. Adam did get drunk once, yes.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 13, 2023 20:13

Seems a bit odd to go back in time and base entire shows and a residency on an album that's over three decades old - maybe they're recognizing their latter era output has been inferior?
Definitely has a Vegas vibe to it all...like a musical/theatrical cirque de soleil show. Strange days for U2...they used to be a pretty good band in the early-mid '80's.
Sucks they're doing this without Larry Mullen Jr.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-13 20:14 by Hairball.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: February 13, 2023 21:06

Hairball
Seems a bit odd to go back in time and base entire shows and a residency on an album that's over three decades old - maybe they're recognizing their latter era output has been inferior?
Definitely has a Vegas vibe to it all...like a musical/theatrical cirque de soleil show. Strange days for U2...they used to be a pretty good band in the early-mid '80's.

They were supposed to be an Achtung Baby tour in 2021-ish. Also from what I understand a lot of the interior resembles the Zoo TV stage which is why they really wanted U2.

I have to hand it to them, they held out for a long time before giving into the nostalgia trip. I was underwhelmed by Joshua Tree compared to both 2015 and 2018 tours. Superior material, inferior performance and presentation.

Then as far as whether or not contacts were signed prior to Larry bowing out ... he is still a quarter owner of a multimillion corporation, I am sure some cash will still be rolling his way.

There's a reason the Spinal Tap joke holds true today, drummers are often the first go. Just look at all those punk bands with 60 year old members and 20 year old drummers.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 13, 2023 21:10

Hairball

Agreed. That would be like The Stones basing an entire show at The Fonda Theater around, I don't know, say STICKY FINGERS or carrying on without Charlie.

I kid, of course. These are veteran bands. If you're still around it's because your seminal work is in the past. Whether it's Roger Waters or The Who or The Stones or U2, nostalgia is the main selling point.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 13, 2023 21:14

Dan
Hairball

They were supposed to be an Achtung Baby tour in 2021-ish. Also from what I understand a lot of the interior resembles the Zoo TV stage which is why they really wanted U2.

I have to hand it to them, they held out for a long time before giving into the nostalgia trip. I was underwhelmed by Joshua Tree compared to both 2015 and 2018 tours. Superior material, inferior performance and presentation.

Then as far as whether or not contacts were signed prior to Larry bowing out ... he is still a quarter owner of a multimillion corporation, I am sure some cash will still be rolling his way.

There's a reason the Spinal Tap joke holds true today, drummers are often the first go. Just look at all those punk bands with 60 year old members and 20 year old drummers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-14 15:02 by bv.

Date: February 14, 2023 06:05

Rocky Dijon
Hairball

Agreed. That would be like The Stones basing an entire show at The Fonda Theater around, I don't know, say STICKY FINGERS or carrying on without Charlie.

I kid, of course. These are veteran bands. If you're still around it's because your seminal work is in the past. Whether it's Roger Waters or The Who or The Stones or U2, nostalgia is the main selling point.

Since A BIGGER BANG U2 has released 3 albums, two in the Twenty Teens. Their recent output is only inferior to those that innately hate them or don't want to listen.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 14, 2023 06:11

Hmm. I'd yell in all caps that YOU KNOW ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ABOUT ANYTHING! but it's already been done to gotdablouse.

Date: March 6, 2023 17:18

U2 at the Crossroads: Inside the Band’s Ambitious Reinvention for 2023

The Edge discusses their new album of reimagined classics, their Las Vegas show, the guitar-based album they're working on next, and Larry Mullen Jr.'s temporary replacement drummer

By Andy Greene
March 6, 2023

The Edge (shown in 2017) was the lead producer on U2's new album of reimagined classics Taylor Hill/FilmMagic/Getty Images

[www.rollingstone.com]

Date: March 6, 2023 17:22

Rocky Dijon
Hmm. I'd yell in all caps that YOU KNOW ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ABOUT ANYTHING! but it's already been done to gotdablouse.

Well, it's true I know nothing about absolutely anything, errrr, absolutely nothing about anything, but that's the joy of absolutes.

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: March 6, 2023 18:38

I love Achtung Baby and hope they will take it to Europe as well.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: March 6, 2023 21:37

It seems that their new album could be their DirtyWork.
Rockandroll,
Mops

OT: U2 revamping their songs on Songs of Surrender
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: March 23, 2023 04:53

I am sure there's an U2 thread here this could be added to, but I am too lazy to look. I really like their revamping/remaking of songs on Songs Of Surrender, it renewed my interest in the band. It made me think how the Stones could remake a number of their songs, perhaps spark some new sense of creativity for themselves, rather than regurgitating what they think they/we want to hear as a Stones album. They were once leaders. WTF happened?

Re: OT: U2 revamping their songs on Songs of Surrender
Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: March 23, 2023 09:09

I’d love to see the look on Mick and Keiths faces when someone presented the idea of remaking their songs to them.

There’s an old saying “ if you’re digging yourself deeper and deeper into a hole , put the shovel down.”
If you can’t make good records anymore, just stop recording until you come up with something good again.
U2 have enough great songs for ten careers but they’re now in their Bigger Bang phase. If you go back and chrome plate dogshit it’s still dogshit.

Re: OT: U2 revamping their songs on Songs of Surrender
Date: March 27, 2023 18:13

dmay
I am sure there's an U2 thread here this could be added to, but I am too lazy to look. I really like their revamping/remaking of songs on Songs Of Surrender, it renewed my interest in the band. It made me think how the Stones could remake a number of their songs, perhaps spark some new sense of creativity for themselves, rather than regurgitating what they think they/we want to hear as a Stones album. They were once leaders. WTF happened?

They already did that.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: March 27, 2023 19:15

Stripped is really great. I wonder if there's some more tracks laying around, other than what's on bootlegs. Always loved this one.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: March 30, 2023 00:43

I love the Stones "Stripped" but, it's only them doing things mostly acoustically for a change, IMHO. I'd like to hear what they can do with songs in terms of rearrangement, beats, perhaps added sounds, etc. For example, check out these versions of Stones songs.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728Next
Current Page: 24 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1917
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home