Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728Next
Current Page: 23 of 28
Re: OT: U2 stuff
Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: December 9, 2022 20:42

Also, here's a remastered video just released of One from 1993. [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 10, 2022 03:57

frankotero
Also, here's a remastered video just released of One from 1993. [www.youtube.com]

That was a fantastic show.

Posted by: podiumboy ()
Date: December 10, 2022 18:24

I wish I could've seen the Zoo TV Tour!! However, I was only 10-11 during that time, and at the time U2 were just one of the bands my parents owned a few of their CDs. My first concert ever was U2's Popmart Tour in 1997, and my 2nd concert was The Rolling Stones Cleveland 1999. I have my parents to thank for my first 2 concerts being so awesome.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 10, 2022 18:38

podiumboy
I wish I could've seen the Zoo TV Tour!! However, I was only 10-11 during that time, and at the time U2 were just one of the bands my parents owned a few of their CDs. My first concert ever was U2's Popmart Tour in 1997, and my 2nd concert was The Rolling Stones Cleveland 1999. I have my parents to thank for my first 2 concerts being so awesome.

I saw an arena Zoo TV show early in the tour. Pixies opened. Fantastic show! U2 always end up blowing me away live even in a stadium.

Date: December 10, 2022 18:44

Frankfurt Festhalle 1992 was my first U2 gig. Missed them everytime in the 80s starting with 1985 very close to my childhood home in Florida, except I was in Japan. But I've seen them every time since. These last tours had incredible stages and videos. Hope they pull it together and Larry is okay.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-12-10 18:52 by frankotero.

Date: December 10, 2022 19:07

frankotero
Frankfurt Festhalle 1992 was my first U2 gig. Missed them everytime in the 80s starting with 1985 very close to my childhood home in Florida, except I was in Japan. But I've seen them every time since. These last tours had incredible stages and videos. Hope they pull it together and Larry is okay.

I'm sure if this Vegas Sphere happens it will be mindblowing. U2 would be the perfect band to inaugurate the venue.

Date: December 10, 2022 19:29

Yeah, I think Las Vegas would be a great gig. Let's see, sometimes they want us to believe things are worse than they are. Think they were going to break up a couple times along the way because they always want to change it up. Maybe it's hard to re-invent.

Date: December 11, 2022 05:23

frankotero
Yeah, I think Las Vegas would be a great gig. Let's see, sometimes they want us to believe things are worse than they are. Think they were going to break up a couple times along the way because they always want to change it up. Maybe it's hard to re-invent.

Well, look at it this way: they've been a band for 46 years and we're just now finding out about how they've had issues during and making records and tours more than just what happened in 1990.

Not much different than anytime Charlie would say after every tour he quit the band other than Charlie being Charlie, not 4 people considering ending a band.

Also, with exception to one show, it's always been the 4 members.

Hopefully Larry gets his surgery sooner than later if it's going to take that long to heal but if they're working on a new album...

Date: December 11, 2022 09:14

Yeah, but it seems odd if they put out an album without a tour. Although I wouldn’t mind it personally. It is cool that the same four guys have lasted this long. I say keep going!

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: December 11, 2022 13:14

U2 is one of the 5greatest bands everwith a great sound. I like how they credit their songwritings

Date: December 11, 2022 13:32

Taylor1
U2 is one of the 5greatest bands everwith a great sound. I like how they credit their songwritings

Bands that evenly split the publishing seem to be more stable. No resentment over 1 or 2 people getting wealthier than the rest.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: December 11, 2022 17:53

frankotero
Yeah, but it seems odd if they put out an album without a tour. Although I wouldn’t mind it personally. It is cool that the same four guys have lasted this long. I say keep going!
I feel like more aging bands are doing it these days. Bruce hasn't toured his last like 3 albums. Personally, I'd rather U2 stay the same 4 guys and they tour if and when they're ready, but put out music when you've got it. Even though U2 do it better than most, its not like the new music being "currently released" is going to be the reason it doesn't go over well live. If they do it well, doesn't matter if it just came out 3 months ago or 3 years ago, IMO. U2 have a show that they present; either its works or it doesn't, and usually it does.

Date: December 12, 2022 06:15

frankotero

They, like the Stones, have toured without a new album before.

However, they are not touring in 2023. Supposedly a kind of ZOO TV nod. Which, ha ha, would be amazing in the MSG Sphere. Although U2 has officially not acknoeldged it, MSG Sphere says they will be the opening act for the dome.

If that's the case, and it being a ZOO TV new boot, should be a show experience that is above any previous show for anyone ever.

OT : U2 suicide
Posted by: Massimo68 ()
Date: January 11, 2023 19:45

First extract from the boxset 'Songs of Surrender' (4CD or 4LP) with 40 re-imagined and re-recorded U2 songs.

Pride, released 38 years ago, is a classic of the band.

The most embarrassing part happens at 2'25''.

[www.youtube.com]

Re: OT : U2 suicide
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 11, 2023 19:54

Can't tell why in any way you HAD to title the thread that way beyond shock factor lol.

Date: January 11, 2023 20:07

Great! Didn't know it was songs re-done. Now I'm excited about it. Thought it was another greatest hits cash grab.

Posted by: angieburden ()
Date: January 11, 2023 20:39

LOL, same RollingFreak

Looking forward to the music

Posted by: Matt1984 ()
Date: January 11, 2023 20:40

Looking forward to this.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 11, 2023 20:41

RollingFreak
Can't tell why in any way you HAD to title the thread that way beyond shock factor lol.

Yes, please change your click bait title. At least capitalize and put parentheses around the word "Suicide".

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: January 11, 2023 21:43

That version of 'Pride' is certainly different, but I certainly wouldn't call it "suicide," or "embarrassing." A band can do anything they want with its songs. In my mind, this version is much less anthemic, obviously more intimate. The high harmony on the chorus sounds like it came from the original 1984 recording... Bono has shown he can still hit those notes in his 60s, so I'm not sure why they didn't re-record that part (unless I'm wrong about that edit). Anyway, I think this release will be a fun listen... Better than the originals? I'm guessing that was not the point. They're just new interpretations. I'm cool with that.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: January 11, 2023 22:53

I recall the name U2, but didn't realize they are still playing.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: January 11, 2023 23:18

I’ve seen U2 4 times, going back to the Joshua Tree tour. IMHO that was dreadful. The new version doesn’t fit the lyrics/subject of the song.

I’d been mildly looking forward to hearing the new album. Now — not so much.

Re: OT: Great read on U2's Bono
Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: January 12, 2023 14:56

crholmstrom
I read that Larry Mullens Jr said that if U2 tour in 2023 it won't be with him. Interesting as U2 was Larry's band originally. He says he has some physical stuff to sort out. There has been a rumor about U2 opening the new concert only arena in Vegas next year. I wonder what this announcement means for that.

Yeah on the face of it, I can't see them touring sans Larry either but then again, they haven't toured a few years now. No one would have ever thought the Stones would tour without Charlie but here we are.

Date: January 12, 2023 15:02

Not dreadful at all. I liked it thumbs up

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 12, 2023 15:51

Nothing wrong with this at all (though I was a little concerned right before the vocals started).

I thought of a couple of things while I was listening.

First, like Clapton redoing Layla, it felt like a completely different song that you could like or dislike on it's own merits. I grew to dislike the more 'neutered' Layla over time so we'll see about this.

Second, I wondered whether I would have even noticed or cared about this, had it been released in this style originally, absent all the angst and tension of the original. In other words, but for the '85 (?) original version would this version even be interesting?

Will never have an answer to that of course.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 12, 2023 19:35

Sounds like elevator music, but maybe that's what they were going for?
Something you might here at dentists office, or at a grocery store...bland and harmless background music.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: January 12, 2023 19:50

U2 - Songs of Surrender: a collection of acoustic & re-imagined recordings from their back catalogue, featuring 40 tracks.

17-Mar-2023 - [SuperDeluxeEdition.com] - also as 2LP Color-Vinyl (orange) - [SuperDeluxeEdition.com] - blue Vinyl: [www.jpc.de] .

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-30 18:15 by Irix.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: January 12, 2023 22:40

Hairball
Something you might here at dentists office, or at a grocery store...bland and harmless background music.

The power — of a tremendously powerful song - is gone. To me, it’s just a fading echo of what was once great.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 13, 2023 20:20

bam
Hairball

The power — of a tremendously powerful song - is gone. To me, it’s just a fading echo of what was once great.

Perhaps unintentionally, an analogy of the band itself?

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: January 13, 2023 21:36

treaclefingers
bam
Hairball

Perhaps unintentionally, an analogy of the band itself?

Remember, those old songs still exist in their happy original form. The new takes are not intended to better the old ones. They're just new interpretations. U2 covering U2 at 62. A fun project for band members that aligns with Bono's book (which I enjoyed quite a bit). If the new version of 'Pride' sounds weird or void of emotion in comparison to the 1984 version, maybe it's because the 62 year-old band members are simply different humans than they were at 24. Different artists even. It's ok to not be swept off your feet by these new takes. I'm still looking forward to hearing them.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728Next
Current Page: 23 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1858
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home