Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1718192021222324252627...LastNext
Current Page: 22 of 28
Re: OT: U2
Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: October 24, 2018 21:11

keefriff99
Is that more or less integrity? Eh...I'm rather ambivalent. Rush is a band that prided itself on technical dexterity, while U2 is more about evoking emotion and mood with their sound.

I think if they denied Dallas or Terry's existence then that would be a lack of integrity, but they've always been pretty open about it even if they don't have them on stage. As you said, U2 isn't the "come see how well we play our instruments" show. It's somewhere between rock and theatre (in a good way).

A lack of integrity would be hiding an extra drummer behind Mick Fleetwood, to take a purely hypothetical example.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 25, 2018 01:44

Happy24
Hairball
I read on a Led Zeppelin facebook page of all places, that there's been some debate on whether Bono is lip-synching or not this tour.
I remember it was mentioned here last tour that he was doing it minimally on maybe one song, but can anyone shed more light on the current situation?

There was a debate that he was lip-synching the opening song on the US part of the current tour. Judging from the YT videos, he did. God knows why, it is not a difficult song by any means. Anyway, I am pretty sure he doesn't lip-synch other than that. I have seen enough of shows and the singing is different each night. Also, I was in Berlin this year when Bono lost his voice and the show was canceled after 5 songs. His voice was totally shot after three songs, which was a sad experience for those of us who had to leave that evening after 5 songs, but it can serve as an ultimete proof that the show was live :-) Just watch some YT footage of the Red Flag Day or Beautiful Day from 01/09

There are enough live videos of Love Is All We Have Left when he sings something different to show that he isn't lip syncing.

Posted by: podiumboy ()
Date: October 25, 2018 15:22

[www.youtube.com]

This is a pretty good video of what everybody is talking about. He's clearly singing live, along with the album version of himself. He's wearing one of those tiny little microphones that rest on the side of your face. Depending on your angle and proximity, you might not notice that little mic.

When he reaches the 2nd verse, the album version goes into the falsetto "Now, you're at the other end of the telescope... seven billion stars in our eyes" and "Live Bono" does not sing these lines live... nor does he pretend to. Then he comes back in and harmonizes with his recorded self, singing "so many stars, so many ways of seeing that this is no time not to be alive." Just like it is on the album version.

Also, the "oooh-oooh's" during Elevation are prerecorded, but Bono also sings them live. It's just that in a live setting, it's hard to hit those loud falsetto OOOOH's as loud as they need to be, so the recording of them from the album is inserted to fill out the sound live. Plus, Bono is 58 now, and his falsetto is not as good as it was when Elevation was recorded. This is a recent pro-shot version of Elevation. You can hear Bono singing that part live, but you can also hear "recorded Bono" singing the "oooh-oooh" part.
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-25 15:22 by podiumboy.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: October 25, 2018 16:09

It's just like when Sting performs Synchronicity II...I don't believe the "Yooo-oooo-oowww"s he does are 100% live. They're too consistent and clean to be all him.

Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: October 25, 2018 19:32

keefriff99
It's just like when Sting performs Synchronicity II...I don't believe the "Yooo-oooo-oowww"s he does are 100% live. They're too consistent and clean to be all him.

See also the scream at the end of Won't Get Fooled Again, on tape since '12.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 25, 2018 20:10

tommycharles
keefriff99

See also the scream at the end of Won't Get Fooled Again, on tape since '12.
That one killed me when I learned that.

Date: October 27, 2018 00:34

podiumboy
[www.youtube.com]

This is a pretty good video of what everybody is talking about. He's clearly singing live, along with the album version of himself. He's wearing one of those tiny little microphones that rest on the side of your face. Depending on your angle and proximity, you might not notice that little mic.

When he reaches the 2nd verse, the album version goes into the falsetto "Now, you're at the other end of the telescope... seven billion stars in our eyes" and "Live Bono" does not sing these lines live... nor does he pretend to. Then he comes back in and harmonizes with his recorded self, singing "so many stars, so many ways of seeing that this is no time not to be alive." Just like it is on the album version.

Also, the "oooh-oooh's" during Elevation are prerecorded, but Bono also sings them live. It's just that in a live setting, it's hard to hit those loud falsetto OOOOH's as loud as they need to be, so the recording of them from the album is inserted to fill out the sound live. Plus, Bono is 58 now, and his falsetto is not as good as it was when Elevation was recorded. This is a recent pro-shot version of Elevation. You can hear Bono singing that part live, but you can also hear "recorded Bono" singing the "oooh-oooh" part.
[www.youtube.com]

Certainly U2 draws from their album recordings to use as backing vocal samples but they most likely record new vocals as well during rehearsals so they have content for the triggers that are cued.

Posted by: podiumboy ()
Date: October 27, 2018 16:07

Quite true. Watch a live version of Beautiful Day. The Edge is singing, but the band are also playing over a blanket of prerecorded backing vocals. It’s either that, or have a bunch of backup singers singing “Daaaaaaaaaay”. They first started using trigger samples during the first live performances of “Bad” in 1984. Since then it’s been a regular thing for them. Watch a live version of “One Tree shill” from the 80’s... lots of samples being used. I don’t see why some people get so bent out of shape by this.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: October 27, 2018 16:09

Again, going back to Rush...Alex Lifeson can't sing to save his life, but he mimics backing vocals while manually triggering Geddy's backing vocal tracks from the album version of the songs.

It's a silly exercise ultimately.

I know the Edge is actually a very good singer but his vocals are usually layered with Bono's tracks when he's doing backup vocals.

Date: October 27, 2018 17:35

podiumboy
[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Yes, there is obviously some reasoning going on here that we don't know about. He makes no bones about the fact that he is not singing; seems that is part of the performance. It's odd to me, because this seems such an easy song to sing; even the falsetto.
With a show as sophisticated and modern as U2 puts on, it is a no-brainer that they would need to employ some gadgets to bolster the sound. U2 prides themselves on having a big sound, but also on being a real live band. I prefer their way. At least they don't have the usual trio of BU singers, and some keyboard wiz hiding. They either adapt the song for their 4-some; or they trigger their own patches. What if they did not do it? You'd have an audience who spent $200 per ticket, complaining about the songs sounding empty.
I bet another reason they use the samples is technical. In a show that big, there must be hundreds of cues that they have to stay on top of. They are probably concentrating on where they are standing at times, where the next mike is. And the distances have got to be very hard to deal with. Just staying in time with each other while one guy is playing or singing 100 ft away.

Date: October 27, 2018 19:23

The falsetto in Love Is All We Have Left is from the vocoder, where the modulator is split up - it's all the same track.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: October 27, 2018 19:37

Palace Revolution 2000
podiumboy
[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Yes, there is obviously some reasoning going on here that we don't know about. He makes no bones about the fact that he is not singing; seems that is part of the performance. It's odd to me, because this seems such an easy song to sing; even the falsetto.
With a show as sophisticated and modern as U2 puts on, it is a no-brainer that they would need to employ some gadgets to bolster the sound. U2 prides themselves on having a big sound, but also on being a real live band. I prefer their way. At least they don't have the usual trio of BU singers, and some keyboard wiz hiding. They either adapt the song for their 4-some; or they trigger their own patches. What if they did not do it? You'd have an audience who spent $200 per ticket, complaining about the songs sounding empty.
I bet another reason they use the samples is technical. In a show that big, there must be hundreds of cues that they have to stay on top of. They are probably concentrating on where they are standing at times, where the next mike is. And the distances have got to be very hard to deal with. Just staying in time with each other while one guy is playing or singing 100 ft away.

U2 have had an off stage keyboard player for many years and the same guy since 2001. He has repeatedly declined the invitation to appear onstage during live shows, presumably because he likes the anonymity. I believe his name is Terry.

[www.terrylawless.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-27 19:48 by grzegorz67.

Date: October 27, 2018 23:24

grzegorz67
Palace Revolution 2000
podiumboy
[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

U2 have had an off stage keyboard player for many years and the same guy since 2001. He has repeatedly declined the invitation to appear onstage during live shows, presumably because he likes the anonymity. I believe his name is Terry.

[www.terrylawless.com]

Ok, tht's it then. No more U2 for me. winking smiley I am done with the lies, lies!

OT: Great read on U2's Bono
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: November 3, 2022 16:33

What an interesting read. Whether you like U2 or not, it's leaves you with a great sense of the man and the band, IMHO.

[www.theatlantic.com]

Re: OT: Great read on U2's Bono
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 3, 2022 16:50

Yes, thanks for sharing that dmay.

Posted by: ukcal ()
Date: November 3, 2022 19:00

BBC news are reporting that old Bono fell asleep at a Whitehouse dinner, musta stayed up late when he hung out with Mick n Keef!

Posted by: kkhoranstoned ()
Date: November 4, 2022 17:48

Very well written
On chapter 5
If you're a fan it's a must

Date: November 5, 2022 05:03

Only through the third.

Excellent.

Will read through, then... start over, discern what to sink in.

Fantastically revealing. It's nice to read the articulation of what an artist has done and why, the drive. The beauty of the absurdity of doubt and how heavy that is. A driving force.

For some.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 5, 2022 05:23

On chapter 5

Yeah pray tell ... what happens in chapter 5 ?????

ROCKMAN

Date: November 5, 2022 06:01

Rockman
On chapter 5

Yeah pray tell ... what happens in chapter 5 ?????

If you have the book you'll know.

Otherwise, pray none!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 5, 2022 06:03

... too drunk ta read ....

ROCKMAN

Date: November 6, 2022 17:55

Cheers..afew names dropped from politics

Date: November 6, 2022 17:57

I'm wondering what is Berlin like

Compared to miami..
Some day I'd like to see it

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 7, 2022 15:19

I read that Larry Mullens Jr said that if U2 tour in 2023 it won't be with him. Interesting as U2 was Larry's band originally. He says he has some physical stuff to sort out. There has been a rumor about U2 opening the new concert only arena in Vegas next year. I wonder what this announcement means for that.

Posted by: bobo ()
Date: December 7, 2022 16:21

crholmstrom
I read that Larry Mullens Jr said that if U2 tour in 2023 it won't be with him. Interesting as U2 was Larry's band originally. He says he has some physical stuff to sort out. There has been a rumor about U2 opening the new concert only arena in Vegas next year. I wonder what this announcement means for that.

He’s up for back surgery

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 7, 2022 17:46

bobo
crholmstrom

He’s up for back surgery

Eesh, I know all about that. I need some serious back surgery but the surgeon doesn't want to do it until things get more dire as he doesn't think I would survive it. Hope Larry does ok with it.

U2
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: December 7, 2022 18:23

crholmstrom
I read that Larry Mullens Jr said that if U2 tour in 2023 it won't be with him.

Mullen's comments are from a recent Washington Post interview.

U2 has stayed together since 1976. It hasn’t always been easy.

By Geoff Edgers
November 28, 2022

[www.washingtonpost.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-12-07 19:51 by bye bye johnny.

Re: OT: U2 stuff
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: December 7, 2022 19:02

Doubt there's any way they tour without Larry and call it U2 at this point. I think they'll wait or tour under a different name, but I'd be very surprised if they tour with 4 people, call it U2 and it doesn't involve Larry.

Date: December 7, 2022 19:19

RollingFreak
Doubt there's any way they tour without Larry and call it U2 at this point. I think they'll wait or tour under a different name, but I'd be very surprised if they tour with 4 people, call it U2 and it doesn't involve Larry.

They've hinted at playing the Sphere next year but have not been concrete about it. Without Larry... can't see them playing at all as U2. Unless he gave the nod to his drum tech, I would imagine.

Then again, if the contract with MSG has been signed and there's that huge clause about backing out that made Angus hire Axl... and the Stones tour without Charlie (regardless)... who knows. Larry's news shouldn't be a surprise to the band - they've been working on a new album!

Whatever they end up doing, pushing everything back to 2024, the new album could very well be their last album (and who knows if they'd tour), if you read between the lines of what Bono and Larry says, anyway.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: December 9, 2022 20:41

I've got to say I've been off with Bono for a very long time, though a fan since the mid 80s. Until I watched this recent interview that is. I hope you guys will enjoy it as much as I did. Cheers! [www.youtube.com]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1718192021222324252627...LastNext
Current Page: 22 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1777
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home