Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 28
Re: OT: U2
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 29, 2018 18:50

U2's Adam Clayton Talks 'Experience' Tour, Possible Plans for 2019

The bassist explains why the group isn't doing 'Joshua Tree' songs this time around and their "radical" ideas for their upcoming Apollo Theater show

Kamil Krzaczynski/AFP/Getty

[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: May 29, 2018 19:49

bye bye johnny
U2's Adam Clayton Talks 'Experience' Tour, Possible Plans for 2019

The bassist explains why the group isn't doing 'Joshua Tree' songs this time around and their "radical" ideas for their upcoming Apollo Theater show

Kamil Krzaczynski/AFP/Getty

[www.rollingstone.com]
That is a good-looking man...I wish my hair would go completely white like that.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 30, 2018 19:03

U2 - Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way” | Live at Third Man Records

[www.youtube.com]

U2 2018 tour
Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: October 19, 2018 04:16

Has anybody seen U2 recently?If so what was the show like?Where were you located in the Arena?Recomendations where to be in the Arena?
I am contemplating going to the show tonight at Manchester Arena.Thanks in advance.

Re: U2 2018 tour
Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: October 19, 2018 05:22

Saw the US leg - was a great show although so far the Euro leg has a much better setlist. The screen setup ensures that pretty much everywhere is a good spot, although I've seen it about half way back on the floor on Edge's side both times, and had a brilliant time.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: October 19, 2018 06:35

I’m going to the Manchester show, too, on Saturday though. My seat is lower stand, opposite side of the main stage but very close to the B stage. Looking forward to it.
Of recent years, I saw London first night 2015 and Dublin 2017, both great and satisfying enough for this non-hardcore. I haven’t followed their tour activities closely on the internet, know very little about the current set except that nothing is played from the Joshua Tree album, which is brave yet understandable after the JT revisited tour last year but frustrating nonetheless — they should play the first three, best known songs on the album, at least (and that’s enough IMHO). I miss warhorses.eye rolling smiley

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: October 19, 2018 08:18

I prefer sitting on the side. That's where the best view of the awesome screen, which is the focus in my opinion. The b-stage is also great. There's a lot of technology that should impress you. Don't want to give it all away, but if you like them at all you should be very happy.

Date: October 19, 2018 15:51

YES this tour and last tour ..... GO good stuff

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: October 19, 2018 16:08

No, but it got terrible reviews here in DK. Too much talk and too little music. They have peaked musically (just like most bands) and are now in comfort zone with little desire for development.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 19, 2018 17:17

mtaylor
No, but it got terrible reviews here in DK.

As far as I know it got mixed/bad reviews everywhere the tour landed : Bon's shot voice, Bono's extended preaching (yawn!), a new album that doesn't quite deliver, expensive tickets...
Basically consensus is the band's tired, they've been touring for far too long and they need a BIG break.

Otoh, if you get a ticket from the touts for 10 quid... GO! tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-19 19:31 by dcba.

Date: October 19, 2018 18:37

Saw it and they were great.

As always

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: October 20, 2018 00:11

i never thought i would ever ditch u2, they were my favourite band from when i discovered them in 1983, till i discovered the stones in 1987, never thought it possible anyone could top u2, how wrong i was, loved u2 early stuff, 1980-84, and still dig it occasionally through youtube, but havent been to see them since my first and last u2 gig in 1987, i loved the joshua tree, now havent played it in 20 years, a u2 gig with the unfamiliar set lists of recent years just dosent get me excited.

maybe i will see them again for old times sake, just wished i could pick the setlist.

does anyone dig u2 after the 1987 period. they didnt progress after that in my opinion.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 20, 2018 00:55

buttons67
does anyone dig u2 after the 1987 period. they didnt progress after that in my opinion.

I only like U2 after the 87 period. Personally, and I've tried so many times, but I genuinely just can't get into them pre-Joshua Tree. Even Unforgettable Fire to me is just a lot of filler stuff, though I know hardcore fans feel so different. I love I Will Follow, Sunday Bloody Sunday, New Years Day, Pride In The Name of Love, and Bad (my all time fav) but other than that I've just never been able to get into the other stuff. I did enjoy the Electric Co when they played it live on the Vertigo tour, gave me a new appreciation for that song. Otherwise, tried so many times but it just doesn't click with me. Joshua Tree though, then Rattle and Hum and Achtung Baby, I think all 3 are flawless records. Some hit or miss stuff after, but overall more hit. I know there's a big divide in the two camps though.

Shocked you didn't see them on the Joshua Tree 2016 tour. Thats as greatest hits as you'll get from them and it was the full Joshua Tree album. If you ever wanted to see them and "pick the setlist", that was the tour for you.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: October 20, 2018 01:23

i lost interest with rattle and hum, was getting into the stones by then and then with achtung baby they seemed to lose power, after that it was all pop and stuff they said they would never do.

post joshua tree songs i do like are

lady with the spinning head
beautiful day
angel of harlem
a couple of others, not sure the names

but not much more

pre joshua tree favourites are

gloria
jerusalem
i threw a brick through a window
the electric co
11 o clock tick tock
i will follow
new years day
like a song
two hearts beat as one
rejoice
surrender
bad
wire
the unforgettable fire

nothing they did post 1987 could match the early period.

strange how my interest in u2 declined at the same time my interest in the stones grew, its like eating a nice curry regularly, getting to like it then discovering some better more tasty curry.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 20, 2018 03:31

buttons67
i lost interest with rattle and hum, was getting into the stones by then and then with achtung baby they seemed to lose power, after that it was all pop and stuff they said they would never do

Same here. I liked those first few albums, saw them at US Festival 83 giving an intense performance, and thought they were great.
Their last good album was Joshua Tree, with the best tune from it being In God's Country imo.
While there have been some sporadic decent tunes throughout the years, their albums became totally inconsistent and watered down.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: October 20, 2018 08:49

Thanks for the comments guys.I didn’t get to the show last night ,however I am determined to try and bag a general admission ticket for the second show tonight.

I had a ticket for the Zoo Tour at Roundhay Park in 1993.I split with my girlfriend before the gig and in a stupid act of guilt/pity gave her the ticket and never saw the show.Always wanted to see them!Tonight might be the night!

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: October 21, 2018 14:22

The 1987 tour would've been great because they were just reaching 'the top' and still hungry with lots of youthful energy. As well, Bono's voice was still in good shape with lots of power.

The 1992/93 tour would've been excellent visually, and I really liked 'Achtung Baby' album, although Bono's voice took a bit of a dive when he started smoking cigarello's and was doing a lot of falsetto singing, instead of going for it.

Saw opening night of The Joshua Tree tour last year in Vancouver and was pretty impressed, although it kinda fizzled near the end. Don't think I've ever seen a arena/stadium band end a show with an unheard new (and kinda slow) song. Took some cajones to do that.

Date: October 21, 2018 18:53

I really love the 'Pop' album. And I don't say that just because there always has to be some wise ass who has to pipe up with "Dirty Work!' or 'Pop'. But a) I thought the production was tight and loud, and the songs at core were strong. I never did get the hate for that album.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: October 21, 2018 18:59

Palace Revolution 2000, nice comparison. After "Pop" it was hard for U2 to regain their greatness for me. They never did, exactly for me. There's been great moments of course. Achtung Baby was their last masterpiece though I remain a fan.

Date: October 21, 2018 19:10

Palace Revolution 2000
I really love the 'Pop' album. And I don't say that just because there always has to be some wise ass who has to pipe up with "Dirty Work!' or 'Pop'. But a) I thought the production was tight and loud, and the songs at core were strong. I never did get the hate for that album.

pop is the last album the band seemed to try imo. after that a lot of it has been u2 by the number s

Date: October 21, 2018 19:23

keefriffhard4life
Palace Revolution 2000

pop is the last album the band seemed to try imo. after that a lot of it has been u2 by the number s
I very much agree with that. Although I loved "All that you can leave behind" and some of "Atomic Bomb".
It really is a fascinating phenomenon how this works with a creative artist mind; or a group: that they run out of gas at some point. I think we can all agree that U@ did have incredible ambition, hunger, and drive to make an impact - in essence to contribute to world of art. And that at one point they ran out of steam.
What is that? It can be only age itself. Is it knowledge coupled with cynicism that finally becomes so much that you can not find enough innocence to write a good song? Or is it something as mundane as growing weary from the endless touring? Do families come in and insist on part of your world?
So - if you stayed single, did not tour much, stayed out of pop world - could you keep creating? Tom waits? Picasso?

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: October 21, 2018 19:28

keefriffhard4life
Palace Revolution 2000

I also absolutely love POP. My second most favourite U2 album after Achtung Baby. As for the later albums - I think All That You Can Leave Behind was also great. Kind of a return of the old U2, but it sounded fresh and I never took that album as U2 playing it safe. Even though it was a return to the old formula, it sounded new after the experimental nineties.

No Line On The Horizon was also an album where they wanted to experiment and not to be that commercial and again, it flopped commercially. It is nowhere near POP, but I like it anyway.

The Atomic Bomb and the last two albums are (I think) U2 playing it safe, but I still like those. The Bomb has some great tuines on it - Original Of The Species is absolutely magical and I really dig the last album.

Date: October 21, 2018 19:32

Happy24
keefriffhard4life
Palace Revolution 2000

I also absolutely love POP. My second most favourite U2 album after Achtung Baby. As for the later albums - I think All That You Can Leave Behind was also great. Kind of a return of the old U2, but it sounded fresh and I never took that album as U2 playing it safe. Even though it was a return to the old formula, it sounded new after the experimental nineties.

No Line On The Horizon was also an album where they wanted to experiment and not to be that commercial and again, it flopped commercially. It is nowhere near POP, but I like it anyway.

The Atomic Bomb and the last two albums are (I think) U2 playing it safe, but I still like those. The Bomb has some great tuines on it - Original Of The Species is absolutely magical and I really dig the last album.

The one I really really love on 'Atomic Bomb' is towards the end. It has kind of a circulating riff; great melody. There is a lead guitar phrase at the end of the song that rises like a bird - it is so freakin gorgeous - what is that song's title? I will be back. Ok it's 'Crumbs from your Table" and the part is at 4:21

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-21 19:34 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: October 21, 2018 19:58

Oh yeah, Crumbs From Your Table is great. Another one is Yahweh. Even though the Atomic Bom doesn't belong to the best U2 albums, it contains a number of truly great tunes and the album is fun to listen to once in a while.

Date: October 21, 2018 20:02

imo the band started to play it safe because of the flop of POP. I don't think the creative energies left their mind. they simply wanted to see a lot of albums again

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: October 21, 2018 20:20

keefriffhard4life
imo the band started to play it safe because of the flop of POP. I don't think the creative energies left their mind. they simply wanted to see a lot of albums again
They definitely got spooked by the public bewilderment to Pop. They returned to their classic '80s sound for ATYCLB...which I absolutely love, but it's a safe retro album for sure, and they've pretty much stayed there since.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: October 21, 2018 20:48

I'm looking forward to seeing U2 at the O2 on Tuesday night.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: October 21, 2018 22:06

Seen them once when they played at Twickenham Stadium many years back.

Liked the way tix were priced ,and first 500-1000 or so in line at the gig, got to the FOS and inner area for the GA price.

That was before all this Platinum,Gold,Silver tix were on sale ,at huge prices for big name gigs.

Enjoyable show on a nice sunny Sunday , but wouldn't go out of my way to see them again.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: October 22, 2018 03:08

Manchester second night. Great — but not so mind-blowing. That’s how I felt.
Titled as Experience + Innocence Tour, this is essentially pt. 2 of 2015’s Innocence + Experience Tour (confusing eh?). Same stage set, different songs. I was every bit impressed by 2015 London first show. As much as I enjoyed the Joshua Tree show in Dublin last year (that gigantic projector screen!), it was basically a retro-tour and didn’t match the innovative show presentation delivered on the previous tour, let alone surpass that. Nostalgia is not enough.
I can’t help but get the impression that this is more or less a rehash of their 2015 tour. Been there, done that. We are not innocent or inexperienced anymore.
The major difference from 2015 is, as I mentioned in the previous post, the total omission of the Joshua Tree repertoire. As many opinionate, this is a big mistake. There is a fine line between reducing the songs from a certain album and none whatsoever. Just one song, e.g. Where The Streets Have No Name, if not three, would have made a difference.
For whatever reason, we got Achtung Baby-heavy set list (6 out of 22 songs) instead. Did that contribute some significance to the current tour? I don’t think so.

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: October 22, 2018 22:29

Hello,

I was at their first-night Manchester show last Friday...here are my ramblings, hah-hah!

P1220088 by

My fourth U2 show and I left it right up to the last minute to decide whether to shell-out £80 on a standing ticket. In the event, touts had no spare 'uprights' going, and the cheapest seat that they had was half-way back in the upper tier for £40. F**k that!

If this band was a recently-retired Prem footballer, they’d be Gary Neville. Hard-worker, made the very most out of what was available. Although I don't think they'd be much cop at punditry!

I get the impression that they are tired. Bono looks it, definitely. His voice was strong and clear though and in no way am I saying that they 'phoned it in': not at all...the effort was clear over the 2 hours 15 mins. During that time I didn't see T'Edge crack anything remotely close to a smile: maybe he was just looking forward to these last shows and taking a long break. Fair enough, my perma-milinered pal. As an aside, Adam Clayton looked like he really was enjoying it all!

The sound was loud and clear enough: a fair chunk of the high-ish ticket price was spent on the PA and especially the light show. The arena was divided down the middle at times, with a b-stage at the other end, which was used to great effect in an attempt to involve everyone of the 17,000 in there. And it worked really well- for the majority of the show, everyone was standing and singing! Love him or not, you cannot deny that Bono knows exactly how to work his crowd and they love him, pontifications (there were two or three that you could do without) and all.

U2 are never gonna be my go-to band but I appreciate what they can do and how much they mean to an awful lot of people: it was great to hear quite a few different accents and nationalities in the arena last night too. I hope that this doesn't sound too harsh or negative or that I did not enjoy or get anything out of it at all.

Perhaps...I should've mentioned the thrill of hearing the songs from 'Achtung', or getting to see them up close-ish on the b stage when they played 'Vertigo' and 'Elevation'. There were two Italian ladies in front of me who clearly had died and gone to Heaven: they were far from being the only ones...that is who this show was for, not tourists or casuals like me!

The Blackout
Lights of Home
I Will Follow
Gloria / Gloria (snippet)
Beautiful Day
Zoo Station
Stay (Faraway, So Close)
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
The Fly

iNTERMISSION: Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me

Elevation
Vertigo / Rebel, Rebel (snippet)
Even Better Than The Real Thing
Acrobat
You're The Best Thing About Me
Summer of Love
Pride (In the Name of Love)
Get Out Of Your Own Way
New Year's Day
City of Blinding Lights

One / Invisible (snippet)
Love is Bigger Than Anything in its Way
13 (There is a Light)

P1220099 by

P1220077 by

Cheers,

Simon.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1223
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home