Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324...LastNext
Current Page: 19 of 28
Re: OT - U2 Arena Tour
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 4, 2018 10:53

Saw them at US Festival83 and they were great - hard to believe that was 35 years ago.
Really liked their first few albums, but after that no except a song here and there.
Beautiful Day was probably the last one I liked, and that's already 18 years old.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: May 4, 2018 15:02

Palace Revolution 2000
keefriff99
Palace Revolution 2000
U2's time is over. I really did think that the big wheel was going to turn for them again, but it is almost by their own doing. They have just become too unbearable. I don't know what is more meandering nowadays; the music or the words.
But at their best U2 was awesome.
And I think it is way ballsy to do a setlist like that. It shows that there is some kind of itch they still need to scratch.
This is like a Stones show without "Brown Sugar, Jumpin jack Flash, Miss You, Satifaction".
They sold out stadiums all over America last year. They're fine as a heritage act.

If you mean "over" in terms of new music, then I think almost all the bands we like are "over"...nothing penetrates anymore in this new musical landscape. I look at iTunes and I'm completely ignorant of what's popular now...and that's fine. I'm not maligning it...I'm almost 40 and pop music isn't meant for me anymore, but the idea that new rock'n'roll music is going to resonate in 2018 the way it was capable of occasionally doing even 15-20 years ago is not realistic.

Maybe the word 'over' made you think I was saying something that I wasn't intending. Heritage act is a good description. Almost every act over 20 years old is that. But there still are some out there who are not. And I think U2 has been believing that they are one of those. Which I think they are not.

Far as anyone believing rockn roll has the impact it did in 60's, 70's, ..I;m not sure what to say about that. It's like that Japanese soldier they found on a remote island one day who was still fighting WWII.
What I will say, and have said countless times in this forum is that rock music as a life force is very much alive. Great bands out there.
I know what you're saying...I still find plenty of great music out there. I thought when you said "over", you meant irrelevant, which honestly applies to just about every band their age and older in this current musical marketplace.

But my point is that albums like The Rising and All That You Can't Leave Behind resonated, especially after 9/11, and that was "only" 16-17 years ago. I just don't see music having that kind of reach or unifying feel the way the marketplace is so fractured by the internet, Spotify, YouTube, etc.

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: May 4, 2018 15:44

Zero songs from Joshua Tree, very gutsy.

Posted by: rev20 ()
Date: May 4, 2018 16:17

mnewman505
very gutsy.

yeah, guess he didnt have time for his usual liposuction

just watched 3 songs from opening nite. edge and the bass player as
usual very good, those two should start another band with some equally
talented musicians, some kind of neo-psychedelic thing

but bono omg. painful.

the belly the fake hair the fake emotions the 3-second-long granddad "dancing" the "poetry" interludes

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-04 16:43 by rev20.

Date: May 4, 2018 16:22

mnewman505
Zero songs from Joshua Tree, very gutsy.

Didn't they just tour the whole JT-album? smiling smiley

Posted by: shack1 ()
Date: May 4, 2018 17:42

'Streets' is a pivotal moment of any U2 gig, that's some big boots to fill with its omission. I can take or leave the other JT classics, but the whole crowd, die hards or casual fans go mental for it.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: May 4, 2018 18:47

Wonder if they'll play Joshua Tree songs tonight in St. Louis, since they cancelled their JT show in STL last year.

Date: May 4, 2018 18:53

The setlist was great....mixed new with the old....finished with some classics.

The stage was cool...the whole show was intense.

U2 has been and is one step ahead of most groups for the stage etc.

They make every seat in the arena a good seat for a part of the concert.

This show was way better than last years.

Get a floor seat last minute $76....then come back here and tell me what you think.

They are firing on all cylinders.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: May 4, 2018 19:22

Why is everyone starting their tour in Tulsa now? Weird. Do they give you the arena for free if you start there?

Date: May 5, 2018 08:10

shack1
'Streets' is a pivotal moment of any U2 gig, that's some big boots to fill with its omission. I can take or leave the other JT classics, but the whole crowd, die hards or casual fans go mental for it.

Exactly. That song more than others is when the lights go bright, the fists and voices raise up; it's a monumental song. It's like Arcade Fire doing "Wake Up" - it is the actual reason many people even go to the show at all. And then not to play it...Haha..

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 5, 2018 17:28

Palace Revolution 2000
shack1

Exactly. That song more than others is when the lights go bright, the fists and voices raise up; it's a monumental song. It's like Arcade Fire doing "Wake Up" - it is the actual reason many people even go to the show at all. And then not to play it...Haha..

They have enough hits to fill the rest of the show. I get it, the song does the same thing for me and next to Bad is my favorite U2 song. But everyone that wanted to see them had the opportunity and should have last tour. I don't begrudge them for dropping anything from that album, even something like Streets, and actually admire them for it. I adore Brown Sugar but if I went to a Stones show and it wasn't played I'd live. There are more than enough hits in the U2 show to make fans go home happy.

Posted by: nobodyimportant ()
Date: May 5, 2018 19:19

RollingFreak
But everyone that wanted to see them had the opportunity and should have last tour.

Not really. There weren't that many shows, only 2 shows in the UK and they clashed with the BST Hyde Park shows, which many people already had tickets for when the U2 shows were announced. It was very disappointing.

I really wanted to go, but couldn't get a ticket for the Saturday and couldn't do the Sunday as I was going to HP. (Which turned out to be my last chance to see Tom Petty so ...)

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 5, 2018 19:29

nobodyimportant
RollingFreak
But everyone that wanted to see them had the opportunity and should have last tour.

Not really. There weren't that many shows, only 2 shows in the UK and they clashed with the BST Hyde Park shows, which many people already had tickets for when the U2 shows were announced. It was very disappointing.

I really wanted to go, but couldn't get a ticket for the Saturday and couldn't do the Sunday as I was going to HP. (Which turned out to be my last chance to see Tom Petty so ...)
I'll give you that. There are people in America saying it and they played everywhere in America. All stadiums, multiple nights. I know there are extenuating circumstances but in America at least for most people they gave as much of a chance for people to see their hits as they could.

Re: OT: U2
Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: May 6, 2018 00:44

Stones should take a page from their set list.

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: May 6, 2018 01:11

they were good about 30 years ago Then bongo became jesus They suck big time now

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 6, 2018 01:27

Awesome set list.

OT: U2 @ United Center, $41 first row upper deck
Date: May 19, 2018 05:11

Purchased for Tuesday night, $41 is a reasonable price for 1st row upper deck in an arena. The best things come to ticket buyers who wait.

Sec 319, Row 1, Seats 19-20, Total charge $100.00

[www1.ticketmaster.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-19 05:15 by mnewman505.

Re: OT: U2 @ United Center, $41 first row upper deck
Posted by: rev20 ()
Date: May 19, 2018 05:55

with a new album and hi-tech arena show, the lack of demand is kinda stunning

bono vox and edge have been reduced now to doing talk shows in the middle
of the tour, including ellen

bono's literal message on these talk shows: "u2 saved my life"
bono's implied message: "so u2 can save your life too"
my reply to bono is: not permitted on IORR, and with good reason
keith's reply: "you're lucky, pal. the rolling stones almost took mine." (joke)

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-19 06:39 by rev20.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 19, 2018 06:29

"$41 is a reasonable price for 1st row upper deck in an arena"

That's about $35 more than I'd be willing to pay to be anywhere inside of a U2 show.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: May 19, 2018 09:14

i was surprised to see a poster advertising the Chicago show taped to a street lamp near Clark/Diversey tonight

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 19, 2018 09:37

i'd see them again for this price, but the 'desire' has left me since the lemon tour.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: May 19, 2018 11:48

mnewman505
Purchased for Tuesday night, $41 is a reasonable price for 1st row upper deck in an arena. The best things come to ticket buyers who wait.

Sec 319, Row 1, Seats 19-20, Total charge $100.00

[www1.ticketmaster.com]

Shows have been repriced downward for most shows.

After doing The Joshua Tree last year, no one cares.

I saw the show Wednesday at the Forum. It was good. No one around me seemed disappointed which I took to mean it's mainly just the hardcore fan base this time around.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: May 19, 2018 14:15

I'm on the back nine, as it were. At this point, time spent at a U2 show is time on Earth that I can't get back. So any amount of money spent on U2 tickets is too much.

I was a big fan from about 1981 to 93 and have seen them five times. But I've been underwhelmed by nearly everything since. Call it Bono fatigue. Just can't stand him.

Posted by: BOW2007 ()
Date: May 23, 2018 10:00

The stage and all this visual things is nothing new.
Sade did this already on her tour in 2011.

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: May 23, 2018 21:25

There's a great IEM recording of their April 20th rehearsal in Quebec, as close as you can get to a soundboard these day...brilliant sound!

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 23, 2018 21:52

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 24, 2018 00:46

BOW2007
The stage and all this visual things is nothing new.
Sade did this already on her tour in 2011.

Uh... the stage isn't exactly since they used it in 2015 but other things about it are new.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-24 00:52 by GasLightStreet.

Date: May 24, 2018 01:05

They had problems with the screen last night in Chicago which caused the show to be delayed by about 45 minutes.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: May 24, 2018 04:27

RollingFreak

Dude, like 5 bands have done this same thing. GNR, Bruce Springsteen, Metallica.

Yup...McCartney too.

Posted by: mrjones ()
Date: May 24, 2018 04:39

Dylan played there in 2004. Did one song. A change is gonna come. I think it was 70th anniversary of the Apollo. Nothing wrong with that right?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324...LastNext
Current Page: 19 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1910
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home