Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1314151617181920212223...LastNext
Current Page: 18 of 28
Re: OT: U2
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: November 4, 2017 04:28

GasLightStreet
keefriff99
GasLightStreet
Palace Revolution 2000
Poor U2 - they can't get that coolness wheel to turn their way again. 80's and 90's have already come and gone with their nostalgia resurgences.
Janes' A. Guns & Roses Chili Peppers have all been and gone a few times. I think the problem with U2 is they never went away. They needed to "break up" for a while, stoke the fires and return in a blaze. A Bono Blaze.

So is that why... they blew the Stones' A BIGGER BANG record for attendance and money out of the water with their 360 tour and their last 2 tours have been beyond successful?

Saw THE JOSHUA TREE tour in New Orleans - absolutely incredible.
Hey GLS, where ya been?

In state of severe mental recovery, which is far from over, with dealing with the death of my wife in mid September. Only the past few days have I felt any sort of sense of normalcy mentally, which includes getting back to work.

For whatever reason I decided to start checking back in on here and... well, I dunno. I really don't know.
I am SO sorry to hear...my sincere condolences.

You're a big part of this little community...take your time and know we're here for you. I know it might not mean much now, but the people on IORR do try to help each other through life's obstacles in their own small ways.

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: November 5, 2017 21:17

I love U2 but the last few "theme" albums weren't of interest to me.

Weird, but the titles "Songs of Innocence, or Experience or whatever" just turned me off, too self indulgent sounding.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: November 6, 2017 17:35

In the end even Bono is a greedy bastard.
His halo is finally damaged:
[www.theguardian.com]

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: November 6, 2017 20:47

11 o clock tick tock..one of their earlier songs comes to mind. Watch your money Bono..never mind about Africa ..right.
Jeroen

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: November 6, 2017 20:54

TooTough
[www.theguardian.com]

He can do whatever he wants with his taxes.

But, he shouldn't pretend to be the very caring person - caring about poor people, fairness in sharing global wealth among all people etc.

In the end of the day, he is a big Capitalist with a big C.

Date: November 6, 2017 21:26

mtaylor
TooTough
[www.theguardian.com]

He can do whatever he wants with his taxes.

But, he shouldn't pretend to be the very caring person - caring about poor people, fairness in sharing global wealth among all people etc.

In the end of the day, he is a big Capitalist with a big C.

He can do whatever he wants with his money after paying his full taxes in Ireland.

Posted by: Hanns Rainsch ()
Date: November 6, 2017 21:46

beachbreak
I love U2 but the last few "theme" albums weren't of interest to me.

Weird, but the titles "Songs of Innocence, or Experience or whatever" just turned me off, too self indulgent sounding.

Absolutely agree, haven't listened to a single bit of it. But I saw some videos from the recent tour and stage, atmosphere and song selection seemed to be pretty. Crowd anticipation is also a whole different thing at U2 shows it seems. Guess because their fans are 10-15 years younger than those of the Stones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-06 21:47 by Hanns Rainsch.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 7, 2017 01:05

keefriff99
GasLightStreet
keefriff99
GasLightStreet
Palace Revolution 2000
Poor U2 - they can't get that coolness wheel to turn their way again. 80's and 90's have already come and gone with their nostalgia resurgences.
Janes' A. Guns & Roses Chili Peppers have all been and gone a few times. I think the problem with U2 is they never went away. They needed to "break up" for a while, stoke the fires and return in a blaze. A Bono Blaze.

So is that why... they blew the Stones' A BIGGER BANG record for attendance and money out of the water with their 360 tour and their last 2 tours have been beyond successful?

Saw THE JOSHUA TREE tour in New Orleans - absolutely incredible.
Hey GLS, where ya been?

In state of severe mental recovery, which is far from over, with dealing with the death of my wife in mid September. Only the past few days have I felt any sort of sense of normalcy mentally, which includes getting back to work.

For whatever reason I decided to start checking back in on here and... well, I dunno. I really don't know.
I am SO sorry to hear...my sincere condolences.

You're a big part of this little community...take your time and know we're here for you. I know it might not mean much now, but the people on IORR do try to help each other through life's obstacles in their own small ways.

Very sorry to learn of this skippy...my thoughts are with you as well through this tough time.

OT - U2 Arena Tour
Date: May 3, 2018 18:53

I saw the opening show of their new tour last night in Tulsa Ok

They know how to blow the roof off a place .

The setlist was way cool.

They did not play a ton of their big hits. Played quite a few new songs.

I was not sure if I needed to go because I had just seen them twice last year.

Man I am glad I did.

Go if you can.

I kept watching Ticketmaster and last Friday they dropped more floor seats for $76

They do not over sell the floor. Lots of room.

Anywhere between the main stage and the small stage is a great place.

Re: OT - U2 Arena Tour
Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: May 3, 2018 19:22

They played almost only songs from 1997 onwards. Hard to believe. That's like if the Stones had played almost only Undercover-onwards-material on the Licks Tour.
Tell Jagger about that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-03 19:24 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Date: May 3, 2018 19:27

Saw them at the Kölnarena with i&e and it was way overblown and pathetic...
like always. But it had some great moments, I must admit.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: May 3, 2018 19:28

going to a u2 gig and getting nothing pre 1987 would be bad enough never mind 1997.

most of u2,s best stuff came between 1980 and 1984.

winking smileyRe: OT - U2 Arena Tour
Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: May 3, 2018 19:28

I know someone that will be going and I wish him the best

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: May 3, 2018 19:37

Thought they were great between 1979 and 1987.
After 192 i lost interest in them.
Jeroen

Date: May 3, 2018 19:49

corriecas
Thought they were great between 1979 and 1987.
After 192 i lost interest in them.
Jeroen

You mean 1792..? grinning smiley

Date: May 3, 2018 19:50

27 songs 2 1/2 hours.

It was a very good night.

And a good change up in song selections

Date: May 3, 2018 19:56

TooTough
Overblown, pathetic, and great?

O...k...

Date: May 3, 2018 19:57

from u2tour.de:

eXPERIENCE + iNNOCENCE Tour

Leg 1 (North America)

Mittwoch, 02. Mai 2018

USA Tulsa (Oklahoma) BOK Center

Love Is All We Have Left
The Blackout
Lights Of Home
Beautiful Day / Many Rivers To Cross (Snippet)
All Because Of You
I Will Follow
The Ocean
Iris (Hold Me Close)
Cedarwood Road
Song For Someone
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Raised By Wolves
Until The End Of The World
Pause / Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me (Taped)
Elevation
Vertigo
Desire
Acrobat
You're The Best Thing About Me (Acoustic)
Staring At The Sun (Acoustic)
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
Get Out Of Your Own Way
American Soul
City Of Blinding Lights

Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
One
Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way
13 (There Is A Light)

Date: May 3, 2018 20:03

keefriff99
TooTough

O...k...

I wrote some great moments.
Until The End Of The World for example.

Date: May 3, 2018 20:07

TooTough
keefriff99
TooTough

O...k...

I wrote some great moments.
Until The End Of The World for example.
I know, I know, just kidding.

Honestly, that set list doesn't excite me much. I could potentially go to the Mohegan Sun show in July, but I saw them in 2015 and last year...I don't know that I need to see them again so soon, although a small arena show COULD be very exciting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-03 20:07 by keefriff99.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: May 3, 2018 21:05

Maybe Stones will soak up some courage from this, seeing it as a trend. However, I was thinking about seeing this show tomorrow and, based on the setlist, I won't. I don't think U2 has done much of note this century and I have no interest in hearing their 21st century output. (I do like post-Tattoo Stones tho!) The hits issue is always a balancing act - The Black Crowes used to tilt too much to the side of NOT playing hits.

Posted by: hilary ()
Date: May 3, 2018 21:19

What do you mean with pathetic?

Date: May 3, 2018 22:01

U2's time is over. I really did think that the big wheel was going to turn for them again, but it is almost by their own doing. They have just become too unbearable. I don't know what is more meandering nowadays; the music or the words.
But at their best U2 was awesome.
And I think it is way ballsy to do a setlist like that. It shows that there is some kind of itch they still need to scratch.
This is like a Stones show without "Brown Sugar, Jumpin jack Flash, Miss You, Satifaction".

Date: May 3, 2018 23:01

Palace Revolution 2000
U2's time is over. I really did think that the big wheel was going to turn for them again, but it is almost by their own doing. They have just become too unbearable. I don't know what is more meandering nowadays; the music or the words.
And I think it is way ballsy to do a setlist like that. It shows that there is some kind of itch they still need to scratch.
This is like a Stones show without "Brown Sugar, Jumpin jack Flash, Miss You, Satifaction".
They sold out stadiums all over America last year. They're fine as a heritage act.

If you mean "over" in terms of new music, then I think almost all the bands we like are "over"...nothing penetrates anymore in this new musical landscape. I look at iTunes and I'm completely ignorant of what's popular now...and that's fine. I'm not maligning it...I'm almost 40 and pop music isn't meant for me anymore, but the idea that new rock'n'roll music is going to resonate in 2018 the way it was capable of occasionally doing even 15-20 years ago is not realistic.

Posted by: Healy52003 ()
Date: May 3, 2018 23:15

Going to the 2nd night in Dublin in November. Love the setlist

Really going to be odd not hearing the JT songs but if heard them live last year and on the 2015 I&E tour

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: May 3, 2018 23:24

I liked most of their stuff until 1991 (1991 included of course, "Achtung Baby" is an excellent album IMO). But since then, no...

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: May 4, 2018 00:41

I’ll catch them in London with a late ticket. I’ve seen them on every tour since 1987. They filled stadia all over Europe too on the JT 30th anniversary tour. Their albums all sold very well until How to dismantle an atomic bomb in 2004 but they’ve struggled since. But at least they keep trying to make new music which is to their credit imho. JT30 is the first time they’ve ever toured without new material to promote and even then they tried out a couple of as yet unreleased songs from their forthcoming album.

Date: May 4, 2018 05:42

keefriff99
Palace Revolution 2000
They sold out stadiums all over America last year. They're fine as a heritage act.

If you mean "over" in terms of new music, then I think almost all the bands we like are "over"...nothing penetrates anymore in this new musical landscape. I look at iTunes and I'm completely ignorant of what's popular now...and that's fine. I'm not maligning it...I'm almost 40 and pop music isn't meant for me anymore, but the idea that new rock'n'roll music is going to resonate in 2018 the way it was capable of occasionally doing even 15-20 years ago is not realistic.

Maybe the word 'over' made you think I was saying something that I wasn't intending. Heritage act is a good description. Almost every act over 20 years old is that. But there still are some out there who are not. And I think U2 has been believing that they are one of those. Which I think they are not.

Far as anyone believing rockn roll has the impact it did in 60's, 70's, ..I;m not sure what to say about that. It's like that Japanese soldier they found on a remote island one day who was still fighting WWII.
What I will say, and have said countless times in this forum is that rock music as a life force is very much alive. Great bands out there.

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: May 4, 2018 08:15

I saw U2 kick off their War Tour in Chapel Hill NC in 83. Have not seen them since but would luke to at least before they ‘retire’.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: May 4, 2018 09:45

Take your time, StonedAsia... I think you have enough time. My impression is that U2 will follow the example of the Stones. No retirement before old age...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1314151617181920212223...LastNext
Current Page: 18 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2012
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home