Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920...LastNext
Current Page: 15 of 28
Re: OT. U2 Joshua Tree Tour
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: June 20, 2017 15:09

HMS
These guys really should retire. Playing their most successful album live is not very innovating. They are just like all the others, trying to grab all the money they can get. The last remarkable album was released about 25 years ago, nowadays they are a radio-pop-band, repeating themselves over and over again. They´re done.
So what does that say about the Stones, who played an album that was 44 years old?

@#$%&' troll.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: June 20, 2017 15:23

U2 is another generation than the Stones or The Who, they are not in their seventies like Jagger/Richards/Daltrey/Townshend but behave the same. Even Deep Purple is more adventurous than U2. I used to like U2 but their last string of albums, oh my goodness.

Re: OT: U2
Posted by: Tate ()
Date: June 20, 2017 16:37

U2's last three (or so) albums were not AS STRONG as their previous efforts, but they are by no means lazy or weak efforts. One criticism is that they are overproduced somewhat, and the band acknowledges that to some degree. But there is still some great songwriting going on, some great playing, and great singing. That just can't be denied. I'd say what the recent albums lack is glue.. They have been more collections of songs than actual albums. But I'd say if anything, they've been more adventurous than most bands that have been around as long as they have. They're not rehashing old formulae for success, and they're not resorting to recording old standards or 12 bar blues, and they're not playing with any less ferocity than they did 20 or 40 years ago.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-20 16:39 by Tate.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: June 20, 2017 17:12

Tate
U2's last three (or so) albums were not AS STRONG as their previous efforts, but they are by no means lazy or weak efforts. One criticism is that they are overproduced somewhat, and the band acknowledges that to some degree. But there is still some great songwriting going on, some great playing, and great singing. That just can't be denied. I'd say what the recent albums lack is glue.. They have been more collections of songs than actual albums. But I'd say if anything, they've been more adventurous than most bands that have been around as long as they have. They're not rehashing old formulae for success, and they're not resorting to recording old standards or 12 bar blues, and they're not playing with any less ferocity than they did 20 or 40 years ago.
U2 literally can't win. They put out All That You Can't Leave Behind, people bash them for being too radio friendly. That they were trying too hard to get back into everyone's good graces. They put out How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb. More bare bones, rock, less "stadium rocker". People call it lazy and unoriginal. Their last two albums aren't as bare bones cause people didn't seem to like that, and they continue to get criticized. I'm far from the biggest U2 fan, but they get an unnecessary bad rap. People don't really want new music, thats more the bottom line of it. Their last albums have been good but people will always find ways to complain about them. I don't like them all, but they are at least trying, and in fact I didn't like the last album but thought the live show they structured behind it was excellent. NO ONE is doing an album live I don't like and making me enjoy it so props to them.

U2 are always made fun of but good on them for just continuing on as best they can. They try to take the criticism constructively but then when they put out a new album people have all new types of problems. If you want they can stop putting out new records altogether! But then they'll be called lazy for living off their legacy. It seems the most butthurt people are the ones that hate that they changed their sound after the 80s, but thats simply what happens with bands. They can't make another album like War or October or Unforgettable Fire. That would be impossible.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 20, 2017 19:07

Living about 25 miles south of Santa Barbara, the local station from there plays the tune 'Santa Barbara' seemingly at least once a day.
Have to confess it has kind of grown on me, but maybe I've been brainwashed due to overexposure.
Whatever the case, probably the only U2 tune I can name since Beautiful Day which also grew on me due to being overplayed.
It's almost like the minute you start to like it, you're already sick of it.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: June 20, 2017 19:18

Their last big shot imo was Achtung Baby. The following records aren´t bad really (partly) but you only listen to them once or twice and you would never include them in any deserted-island-survival kit. Of course, U2 aren´t the only ones to face that kind of problem, but their glory days are definitely behind them. Now they´re touring their most successful album, a safe bet financially, but there is no real reason for it. Dylan never did such a thing, because he knows it´s silly. You tour an album when it´s fresh to promote it but not only because it is 20, 25 or 30 years old. That´s just uninspired, the Stones did Sticky Fingers live only once in 2016. U2 behave like boring old farts indeed. They milk the last drop out of that album, there was the 20th anniversary reissue, now the 30th anniversary reissue and of course there will be a Joshua Tree-BlueRay/DVD/CD-Live set ready for christmas´ eve. And the 40th anniversary edition will include another never- before-released show recorded in 1987. How boring.

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: June 20, 2017 19:55

You know, the Rolling Stones never did tour behind Dirty Work. Would it be cheating if they did it now?

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: June 20, 2017 21:17

I agree with the 'U2 can't win' comment. They try something experimental (Pop, Zooropa) people complain it's too weird. They do something more mainstream, they're pandering.
I had GA tix to Foxboro (near Boston) this weekend, and wound up selling them - reluctantly - I need money for seeing the Stones in Amsterdam!
I've seen them many times (since Boy came out in '81) and I still like them a lot, and think they put on a great show. And you have to give them credit - how many bands are still around for that long with NO changes to the original line-up? Sure, Bono can be a bit - whatever - and their last few LPs have been a bit dull (IMO) but they're a great band.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 23, 2017 01:19

Happy24
HMS
These guys really should retire. Playing their most successful album live is not very innovating. They are just like all the others, trying to grab all the money they can get. The last remarkable album was released about 25 years ago, nowadays they are a radio-pop-band, repeating themselves over and over again. They´re done.

There is of course some truth in what you say, since it all depends on the point of view, but writing it on this particular message board is hilarious!

Especially considering what his idea of "good music" is.

Date: June 23, 2017 01:20

HMS
U2 is another generation than the Stones or The Who, they are not in their seventies like Jagger/Richards/Daltrey/Townshend but behave the same. Even Deep Purple is more adventurous than U2. I used to like U2 but their last string of albums, oh my goodness.

That's fantastically ignorant! Go smoke some pastel weed ya crank.

Date: June 23, 2017 01:22

HMS
Their last big shot imo was Achtung Baby. The following records aren´t bad really (partly) but you only listen to them once or twice and you would never include them in any deserted-island-survival kit. Of course, U2 aren´t the only ones to face that kind of problem, but their glory days are definitely behind them. Now they´re touring their most successful album, a safe bet financially, but there is no real reason for it. Dylan never did such a thing, because he knows it´s silly. You tour an album when it´s fresh to promote it but not only because it is 20, 25 or 30 years old. That´s just uninspired, the Stones did Sticky Fingers live only once in 2016. U2 behave like boring old farts indeed. They milk the last drop out of that album, there was the 20th anniversary reissue, now the 30th anniversary reissue and of course there will be a Joshua Tree-BlueRay/DVD/CD-Live set ready for christmas´ eve. And the 40th anniversary edition will include another never- before-released show recorded in 1987. How boring.

How about you go and get every live release by the Stones from 2012-2015 and give praise to how they all sound the same!?

Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: June 23, 2017 02:49

Hairball
Living about 25 miles south of Santa Barbara, the local station from there plays the tune 'Santa Barbara' seemingly at least once a day.
Have to confess it has kind of grown on me, but maybe I've been brainwashed due to overexposure.
Whatever the case, probably the only U2 tune I can name since Beautiful Day which also grew on me due to being overplayed.

I'm glad that one is getting played somewhere, it's a great tune. But I could imagine it being annoying if overplayed. "Raised by Wolves" from that record is a monster track though.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: June 23, 2017 03:13

tommycharles
Hairball

I'm glad that one is getting played somewhere, it's a great tune. But I could imagine it being annoying if overplayed. "Raised by Wolves" from that record is a monster track though.

But what's with the weird effect on Bono's voice? I like the track a lot too(RBW), but somebody made a boneheaded decision to make his voice sound like he's simultaneously singing and eating yogurt.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-23 03:14 by Tate.

Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: June 23, 2017 04:02

Tate
tommycharles
Hairball

But what's with the weird effect on Bono's voice? I like the track a lot too(RBW), but somebody made a boneheaded decision to make his voice sound like he's simultaneously singing and eating yogurt.

Agree completely. Bono's vocal insecurity rivals Lennon's at times. You can mix it relatively dry... it will still work. My least favorite part about their otherwise excellent live album from 360 tour is how processed B's voice is.

Date: June 29, 2017 20:19

Saw the show last night. A lot of fun. Hard not to like anything. Its a hit shows with their biggest selling album in the middle. If you were EVER a U2 fan and never saw them this is the tour for you. Cool show, they played everything great but even if you don't like their newer albums I find their other newer tours far more interesting. This is as by the book nostalgic as you can get, which they do well, but part of what's been great about U2 live is its "show" aspect. Going back to the ZooTV tour, they basically go all out on a show, and you either like it or don't. Its a big risk, but I think when its good the reward is even better. And when its not, honestly I just walk away saying "they took a shot, and its not like I've seen anybody ELSE do a show like that." I see no downside to those types of shows they've now been doing for 30 years. This is basically the total antithesis of that, which I do think effects them or would long term if they continued down this format or had been doing this for years. But for one tour its fun and probably worthless to overanalyze. I got Bad and side 2 of Joshua Tree. I'm an easy customer.

Date: June 29, 2017 21:31

RollingFreak
Saw the show last night. A lot of fun. Hard not to like anything. Its a hit shows with their biggest selling album in the middle. If you were EVER a U2 fan and never saw them this is the tour for you. Cool show, they played everything great but even if you don't like their newer albums I find their other newer tours far more interesting. This is as by the book nostalgic as you can get, which they do well, but part of what's been great about U2 live is its "show" aspect. Going back to the ZooTV tour, they basically go all out on a show, and you either like it or don't. Its a big risk, but I think when its good the reward is even better. And when its not, honestly I just walk away saying "they took a shot, and its not like I've seen anybody ELSE do a show like that." I see no downside to those types of shows they've now been doing for 30 years. This is basically the total antithesis of that, which I do think effects them or would long term if they continued down this format or had been doing this for years. But for one tour its fun and probably worthless to overanalyze. I got Bad and side 2 of Joshua Tree. I'm an easy customer.
I'm leaving in an about an hour or so for Metlife Stadium. Looking forward to it...

Date: June 29, 2017 21:54

keefriff99
I'm leaving in an about an hour or so for Metlife Stadium. Looking forward to it...
Where are you sitting? My whole plan was to buy a cheapie and upgrade via their guest services because at Metlife they're actually very good about that. I took a risk, but they're playing the stadium two nights and its both on weekdays so I figured the chances were good. I ended up getting row 2 side stage so worked out better than expected. I learned it when I saw GNR last year: go to the 300 level (its a shlep but its worth it) and go to one of their guest services stations. Walked right up last night and the guy had a stack of unsold tickets, couldn't have been easier. Just some advice if you'd rather be closer and not in GA.

Hope you enjoy the show! Really fun night.

EDIT: just realized if you're leaving in an hour you're probably GA lol but if it helps anyone else its very easy and seems to be a reliable venue for that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-29 21:54 by RollingFreak.

Date: June 30, 2017 00:42

Recent quote from Roger Waters on U2:

"So, I started in the mid-’70s of exploring the possibilities of the inflatables and stuff like that and making something larger. Most of the big rock ’n’ roll bands of the world have followed. U2, back in the early days, if you read what they used to say when they were young, ‘We don’t belive in shows like Pink Floyd who’ve sold out. We’re just going to stand there and play our music. Our songs speak for themselves.’ Oh, really. They’ve just rebuilt my Desert Trip show that we did. They’ve been doing that for years. Whenever I do anything, they copy it almost immediately. Which is fine. It’s flattering. I don’t mind".

Gotta give Roger credit for being a pioneer with stage design, etc. and calling out all the copycats! cool smiley

Date: June 30, 2017 01:48

RollingFreak
keefriff99
Where are you sitting? My whole plan was to buy a cheapie and upgrade via their guest services because at Metlife they're actually very good about that. I took a risk, but they're playing the stadium two nights and its both on weekdays so I figured the chances were good. I ended up getting row 2 side stage so worked out better than expected. I learned it when I saw GNR last year: go to the 300 level (its a shlep but its worth it) and go to one of their guest services stations. Walked right up last night and the guy had a stack of unsold tickets, couldn't have been easier. Just some advice if you'd rather be closer and not in GA.

Hope you enjoy the show! Really fun night.

EDIT: just realized if you're leaving in an hour you're probably GA lol but if it helps anyone else its very easy and seems to be a reliable venue for that.
Im in Sect 115C...perfect view. Just got here...i didnt want tto go through the GA hassle but it looks like they worked out the kinks.

Date: June 30, 2017 18:48

RollingFreak
Definitely a fantastic show! A flawless song selection, a jaw-dropping hi-res video screen, tasteful and moving video packages, and inspired playing from the entire band.

It was definitely U2's equivalent of a Stones' greatest hits tour, but U2 has never really done that before, so they can't be faulted for doing that after 41 years together.

The only minor criticism I have is that Bono has gotten into that singer habit of changing up his inflection on many of their most iconic songs...I guess out of boredom or "artistic license". It's certainly his choice, but it's a bit distracting when you're singing along and he's changed how he holds out certain notes or the inflection of the words.

Other than that...an A+ show for sure.

Date: June 30, 2017 18:55

keefriff99
RollingFreak
Definitely a fantastic show! A flawless song selection, a jaw-dropping hi-res video screen, tasteful and moving video packages, and inspired playing from the entire band.

It was definitely U2's equivalent of a Stones' greatest hits tour, but U2 has never really done that before, so they can't be faulted for doing that after 41 years together.

The only minor criticism I have is that Bono has gotten into that singer habit of changing up his inflection on many of their most iconic songs...I guess out of boredom or "artistic license". It's certainly his choice, but it's a bit distracting when you're singing along and he's changed how he holds out certain notes or the inflection of the words.

Other than that...an A+ show for sure.

Glad you enjoyed it! And yeah, thats a great seat, I've been there before for Springsteen. As you say, its hard to fault anything this tour is, although its definitely a one and done type of thing. Which it probably will be cause this has never been their style and if they want to cash in after nearly 40 years, as you say its more than fair. But I hope they go back to standard U2 type shows after this, because I really got renewed interest in them after the last concert video where they played the whole new album, which I didn't like, and I came away thinking the concert was fantastic. They're one of the best at that so I hold it dear. But yup, this show is great, had the same reactions as you. Definitely worth seeing this tour and knew I wouldn't regret it.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: June 30, 2017 20:59

Hairball

"So, I started in the mid-’70s of exploring the possibilities of the inflatables and stuff like that and making something larger. Most of the big rock ’n’ roll bands of the world have followed. U2, back in the early days, if you read what they used to say when they were young, ‘We don’t belive in shows like Pink Floyd who’ve sold out. We’re just going to stand there and play our music. Our songs speak for themselves.’ Oh, really. They’ve just rebuilt my Desert Trip show that we did. They’ve been doing that for years. Whenever I do anything, they copy it almost immediately. Which is fine. It’s flattering. I don’t mind".

Gotta give Roger credit for being a pioneer with stage design, etc. and calling out all the copycats! cool smiley

That all said - and I love both U2 and Waters/PF - BUT that's a bit ironic coming from him at the moment as his current Us and Them tour (which I saw and it's stunning) DOES borrow, IMO, the idea of the screens in the middle of the arena which U2 did first on their last tour.

Date: July 1, 2017 02:22

DEmerson
Hairball

That all said - and I love both U2 and Waters/PF - BUT that's a bit ironic coming from him at the moment as his current Us and Them tour (which I saw and it's stunning) DOES borrow, IMO, the idea of the screens in the middle of the arena which U2 did first on their last tour.

Yes, very ironic - he should be thanking U2! thumbs up

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: July 1, 2017 02:27

thumbs down

Bugger off please.

U2 can't swing or roll at all. thumbs down

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-01 02:36 by RipThisBone.

Date: July 1, 2017 03:01

RipThisBone
thumbs down

Bugger off please.

How about you stay the @#$%& out of this conversation if you have nothing to contribute? No one is forcing you to read this...it's clearly marked "OT", so YOU can @#$%& off and go talk about something that interests you.

Date: July 1, 2017 04:19

RipThisBone
thumbs down

Bugger off please.

Well they used to be able to rock a bit! In God's Country was a damn fine tune c.'87.
And the albums prior to that - thought hit and miss - had some great tracks on them! thumbs up

Date: July 1, 2017 05:38

Hairball
RipThisBone
thumbs down

Bugger off please.

Well they used to be able to rock a bit! In God's Country was a damn fine tune c.'87.
And the albums prior to that - thought hit and miss - had some great tracks on them! thumbs up
You should have seen them last night...they nailed all the blues tunes from Joshua Tree and played with a fantastic sense of groove. I contend that Larry and Adam are a very underrated rhythm section. Simple, but very pocket-oriented.

And the Edge was on fire...Bullet the Blue Sky, Exit...amazing stuff.

Date: July 1, 2017 06:06

All the blues tunes from Joshua Tree?

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: July 1, 2017 12:13

keefriff99
RipThisBone
thumbs down

Bugger off please.

How about you stay the @#$%& out of this conversation if you have nothing to contribute? No one is forcing you to read this...it's clearly marked "OT", so YOU can @#$%& off and go talk about something that interests you.

smiling bouncing smiley smiling smileygrinning smileythumbs up

Sorry Bono.

Date: July 1, 2017 17:44

Hairball
All the blues tunes from Joshua Tree?
Trip Through You Wires, Red Hill Mining Town, Running to Stand Still and Mothers of the Disappeared all have some strong blues/roots influences.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920...LastNext
Current Page: 15 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1837
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home