Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617...LastNext
Current Page: 12 of 28
Re: OT: U2
Posted by: Tate ()
Date: January 27, 2017 20:07

Bjork. Bjork made it big as a solo artist after leaving the Sugarcubes. Natalie Merchant did too, after leaving 10,000 Maniacs. Both produced their best work after leaving their bands too, in that they were set free as creative artists.

I think in the 80's, Mick Jagger assumed he'd have a huge hit with STB, on par with Michael Jackson and Madonna, but he was older than those two, and his fan base was not as interested in his thinned-out, more shallow and dance-based solo sound. I still bought the album and played it to death, but I was not in love with it and quite critical of it. STB --> DW --> PC was like a trio of albums that just left me disappointed each time in how hollow the music was compared to all Stones records prior.

Bono really has no need to do a solo project, I suspect, in that he is such a major frontman with U2. Maybe some day he'll have that need, but it appears as though he is satisfied with his bandmates being his band.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 28, 2017 18:01

Hairball
You're right he did - maybe it was a wise choice?
Was never really a fan of the Police aside from a few early tunes, and never liked any of his solo stuff, so....

Stevie Nicks is another who made it big!

Solo artists have the same issues that bands have - they do really outstanding albums and piss poor albums.

Sometimes they coincide. Here's a perfect example of a band and a solo artist having piss poor albums: SHE'S THE BOSS, DIRTY WORK, PRIMITIVE COOL.

What Sting did was quite brilliant, really, because it really was different than anything he did with The Police. His best solo song in my ears is Fortress Around Your Heart. All This Time is pretty good. Those tuneful songs he did are great. There's stuff he did I don't care for but he knows how to write some catchy tunes.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: January 28, 2017 18:10

GasLightStreet
Hairball
You're right he did - maybe it was a wise choice?
Was never really a fan of the Police aside from a few early tunes, and never liked any of his solo stuff, so....

Stevie Nicks is another who made it big!

Solo artists have the same issues that bands have - they do really outstanding albums and piss poor albums.

Sometimes they coincide. Here's a perfect example of a band and a solo artist having piss poor albums: SHE'S THE BOSS, DIRTY WORK, PRIMITIVE COOL.

What Sting did was quite brilliant, really, because it really was different than anything he did with The Police. His best solo song in my ears is Fortress Around Your Heart. All This Time is pretty good. Those tuneful songs he did are great. There's stuff he did I don't care for but he knows how to write some catchy tunes.
Sting is an amazing musician. I'm not sure why he gets so much hate...he single-handedly wrote almost all of the Police's best songs. Of course Stewart and Andy provided brilliant instrumentation and chemistry, but the vast majority of the songs came from Sting.

Their output post-breakup should tell you who had the writing talent.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-28 18:11 by keefriff99.

Posted by: dennycranium ()
Date: January 28, 2017 22:52

Tried to buy U2 tickets for Fenway Park this year.
No luck.
I saw U2 perform at Massey Hall in Toronto in 1984 during the Unforgettable Fire Tour.
Amazing...
Fast forward to 1987 and I saw the Joshua Tree Tour at Exhibition Stadium in Toronto.
Yawn..... Haven't seen them since.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 29, 2017 03:50

dennycranium
No luck.
I saw U2 perform at Massey Hall in Toronto in 1984 during the Unforgettable Fire Tour.
Amazing...
Fast forward to 1987 and I saw the Joshua Tree Tour at Exhibition Stadium in Toronto.

joshua tree tour was amazing...but you missed the best one, Achtung Baby!

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: January 29, 2017 04:02

treaclefingers
dennycranium
No luck.
Amazing...

U2 Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...............

Only one song comes to mind: WHEN LOVE COMES TO TOWN live with Keith in 1988.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 29, 2017 07:00

RipThisBone
treaclefingers
dennycranium
No luck.
Amazing...

it takes a certain low bred personality to troll a thread about a band they find boring, just to let everyone know they find them boring.

i find your comment boring...at least if you're going to p*ss on the thread, show us a little imagination for the love of all that is sweet and good.

Date: January 29, 2017 16:45

RipThisBone
treaclefingers
dennycranium
No luck.
Amazing...

Wow...someone thinks U2 is boring on IORR??

Haven't seen THAT before! Well done! That's true ingenuity.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 29, 2017 18:33

I never would have even thought of Bono going solo. I guess it could work. I do give U2 credit that they've remained a BAND and that its the same 4 guys the entire time. We all know thats so incredibly rare and its a feat that shouldn't go unnoticed. Also, I don't really feel they'll be done anytime soon. You make a good point that they'll be 60 in a bit and its when the age starts showing, but there is still this youthful energy about them. I could see that being a reason they want to end it early, to keep that unvarnished, but I don't know. I think all these other guys going so long and staying so good is gonna push them. Say they retire in 5 years when, presumably, the Stones, McCartney, etc retire or can't play anymore around the same time, I just feel thats gonna look weird. They like being at the top of their game, but they also seem to like longevity, so I think its gonna be interesting to see where they go in the next 10 years.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 29, 2017 18:40

RollingFreak
I never would have even thought of Bono going solo. I guess it could work. I do give U2 credit that they've remained a BAND and that its the same 4 guys the entire time. We all know thats so incredibly rare and its a feat that shouldn't go unnoticed. Also, I don't really feel they'll be done anytime soon. You make a good point that they'll be 60 in a bit and its when the age starts showing, but there is still this youthful energy about them. I could see that being a reason they want to end it early, to keep that unvarnished, but I don't know. I think all these other guys going so long and staying so good is gonna push them. Say they retire in 5 years when, presumably, the Stones, McCartney, etc retire or can't play anymore around the same time, I just feel thats gonna look weird. They like being at the top of their game, but they also seem to like longevity, so I think its gonna be interesting to see where they go in the next 10 years.

Maybe they'll eventually release a blues covers album when they run out of solid original ideas. winking smiley

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: January 29, 2017 19:04

I hope everyone who wants to go gets to

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-29 21:21 by HankM.

Date: January 30, 2017 15:48

One reason for not scoring tix for U2 at Fenway is there appears to not be any U2 show at Fenway. Not finding any info anywhere on U2 at Fenway. Is this even a rumor?

Date: January 30, 2017 17:56

RollingFreak

It's been hinted at by them. Of course if they choose to go on into their 60s and 70s then so be it. However I tend to think that Bono would not be able to hit the notes he somehow still manages to hit. So that may be part of why he hinted at them not going for much longer.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: January 30, 2017 17:57

I saw the Fenway park mention also. They ARE playing at Gillette Stadium in Foxboro MA on June 25 (I managed to get GA tix). I've heard no rumors about Fenway and it sounds like the dates that are out there now are all there are.

Date: January 30, 2017 18:22

Tate
One reason for not scoring tix for U2 at Fenway is there appears to not be any U2 show at Fenway. Not finding any info anywhere on U2 at Fenway. Is this even a rumor?

I have no idea why someone would think that. They're playing Gillette Stadium.

Date: January 30, 2017 18:23

dennycranium
No luck.

I'm trying not to laugh but...

Date: January 30, 2017 21:15

Man...I would have bet on a 2nd show in Arlington / Dallas.

The first show sold out as fast as the orders could be filed and the secondary market is slim on tickets.

Also there is about a week gap between Dallas and Chicago.

Will PIZZ me off if I buy tickets now and the next show is annouced

Date: January 31, 2017 20:58

Ok...so they added a date in Louisville KY...and that is Kentucky not jelly

Only big gap left is between Dallas / Chicago

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: February 1, 2017 01:04

OT but I just booked a trip to see Roger Waters in Louisville KY as I have 2 states I have yet to be in (Kentucky and ND). Looking forward to it!

Date: February 1, 2017 05:10

Bono needs to keep that hair dark though. What is with this new red-blond look?

Posted by: superglen ()
Date: February 1, 2017 11:24

jumpontopofmebaby
Ok...so they added a date in Louisville KY...and that is Kentucky not jelly

Only big gap left is between Dallas / Chicago

that gap is probably just a week-long tour break

it's possible, anyway, that they'll add a couple of Mexico City shows in that week

US and Canada itinerary if now officially complete (20 stadium shows + 1 festival)

2017-05-12 - Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada - BC Place Stadium
2017-05-14 - Seattle, Washington, USA - CenturyLink Field
2017-05-17 - Santa Clara, California, USA - Levi's Stadium
2017-05-20 - Pasadena, California, USA - Rose Bowl
2017-05-21 - Pasadena, California, USA - Rose Bowl
2017-05-24 - Houston, Texas, USA - NRG Stadium
2017-05-26 - Dallas, Texas, USA - AT&T Stadium
2017-06-03 - Chicago, Illinois, USA - Soldier Field
2017-06-04 - Chicago, Illinois, USA - Soldier Field
2017-06-07 - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - Heinz Field
2017-06-09 - Manchester, Tennessee, USA - Bonnaroo Festival
2017-06-11 - Miami, Florida, USA - Hard Rock Stadium
2017-06-14 - Tampa, Florida, USA - Raymond James Stadium
2017-06-16 - Louisville, Kentucky, USA - Papa John's Cardinal Stadium
2017-06-18 - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - Lincoln Financial Field
2017-06-20 - Landover, Maryland, USA - FedEx Field
2017-06-23 - Toronto, Ontario, Canada - Rogers Centre
2017-06-25 - Foxborough, Massachusetts, USA - Gillette Stadium
2017-06-28 - East Rutherford, New Jersey, USA - MetLife Stadium
2017-06-29 - East Rutherford, New Jersey, USA - MetLife Stadium
2017-07-01 - Cleveland, Ohio, USA - FirstEnergy Stadium

even the short Europe leg (only 12 shows in 8 countries, their shortest euro leg since...almost forever) has been dubbed as "finalized":

2017-07-08 - London, England - Twickenham Stadium
2017-07-09 - London, England - Twickenham Stadium
2017-07-12 - Berlin, Germany - Olympiastadion
2017-07-15 - Rome, Italy - Stadio Olimpico
2017-07-16 - Rome, Italy - Stadio Olimpico
2017-07-18 - Barcelona, Spain - Estadi Olimpic Lluis Companys
2017-07-22 - Dublin, Ireland - Croke Park
2017-07-25 - Paris, France - Stade de France
2017-07-26 - Paris, France - Stade de France
2017-07-29 - Amsterdam, Netherlands - Amsterdam ArenA
2017-07-30 - Amsterdam, Netherlands - Amsterdam ArenA
2017-08-01 - Brussels, Belgium - King Baudouin Stadium

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-01 11:31 by superglen.

OT: U2 tour
Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: May 14, 2017 04:21

U2 opened their 30th Anniversary Joshua Tree tour last night in Vancouver. They've been set up at BC Place since late April and were doing regular rehearsals inside the stadium the past couple weeks. U2 also started their last tour in town back in 2015 doing 2 shows at Rogers Arena across the street.
Big problems getting into the stadium last night due to a new system to try to stop scalpers. People had to show their credit card that the tickets were purchased with and that caused huge delays, many missing the opening act Mumford and Sons. U2 actually delayed the start of their performance by 20 minutes.
Tickets for the show sold out in a few minutes and many people complained about it, especially when resale tickets were being listed online immediately. News reports interviewed fans who flew in from out of town, whether it be from other provinces in Canada, across the States and even other continents!
I didn't go to the concert, actually glad I didn't with all the confusion and thousands of pissed off fans waiting outside. From what I've heard, the concert itself was excellent.

Re: OT: U2 tour
Date: May 14, 2017 07:19

Seeing them next month. Looking forward to it.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: May 14, 2017 10:48

I'm seeing them tonight. I haven't heard that Century Link Stadium is using that system but I have reserved ADA seats. I can use a special gate. Wish I couldn't. You know, the last time I went to BC Place was the Stones show that was a reschedule when Mick's dad died. There were very similar problems back then. I missed Bonnie Raitt because of it. Luckily, she came out & played with the Stones. I would've been really angry if it had been the original show with Van Morrison (cancelled on the redo). It was a fiasco back then. Indicates to me that at least some of the issues are with the venue not only the new anti scalping system. The clips I've seen of U2 from Friday are fantastic. I'm hoping they change up the sets some with the non Joshua Tree stuff but don't have high hopes given the films & such.

PS: Don't really care for Mumford, so if I miss them won't be the end of the world. Heading down to stadium early for parking purposes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-14 10:50 by crholmstrom.

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: May 14, 2017 11:37

I was there Friday night and it was a total clusterf#*k. They had signs at some gates saying 'Credit Card Entry' but not for GA floor - so some people waited an hour in the wrong line. There was only one entrance for GA and there were actually 2 lines merging at one place. One line moved much faster than the other, so I was lucky to get in in about 35 min, while others waited 2+ hours.

The concert itself was excellent, with good sight lines, a B-Stage and a huge screen. Sound was so-so, compared to other shows I've been to at BC Place. Vocals were muddy sometimes.

You could tell the warhorses from the less played (or unplayed) songs from Joshua Tree, as they were a bit loose around the edges, but I'm sure they'll tighten up as the tour goes...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-14 11:38 by mosthigh.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: May 14, 2017 12:28

I'm seeing them at Twickenham Stadium, London on July 8th with my brother and nephew. Looking forward to it, even though we're in the very back row of the side stand!

Date: May 14, 2017 17:45

Flying across the country to see them with a friend a week from today. Very excited.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: May 14, 2017 23:09

treaclefingers
dennycranium
No luck.
Amazing...

I don't like Bono and U2 but Mysterious Ways is their best...great catchy tune. Love the wah wah guitar on it.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: May 15, 2017 23:12

U2 were incredible last night. Totally stunning show musically & the production. Better set list than Vancouver (Bad & I Will Follow included) & guest shot from Mr Eddie Vedder.

Date: May 15, 2017 23:44

I still have not bought tickets for the Dallas / Arlington Show

Floor Seats are cheap and there are good side seats about face value even with fees.

So how would the floor be? Do they sell a ton of floor seats?

I am on the bubble for this one.

If I pull the trigger side seats about at the b stage or floor?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-15 23:44 by jumpontopofmebaby.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617...LastNext
Current Page: 12 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1588
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home