Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 28
Re: OT: U2
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 17, 2017 13:21

for doubters i suggest viewing "it might get loud". interesting film & edge more than holds his own with jimmy page. likewise jack white. good movie.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 17, 2017 13:22

DandelionPowderman
In many ways The Edge is great the same way Keith is great, imo. It's the sounds he's making, the riffs, how he affects the song and last but not least how he uses his instrument to write songs.

And he doesn't need effects to do that. He's a curious and exploring guitarist, though, so no wonder he has tried out and implemented effects etc into his playing.

I'm not a big fan, but I recognise a great guitar player when I see one smiling smiley

Ditto thumbs up

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: January 17, 2017 15:33

Hairball
I wonder how many kids have learned to play the guitar by 'jamming' along with recordings from U2 and the Edge?
I supposed they'd first need a room full of special effects which probably limit's the number close to zero.
Take away all the effects, and you have a few simple chords and strumming techniques.
I like the unique sound of the first few of albums, but as a guitar player the Edge would land nowhere on my list of greats.
That's an interesting point.

I'm no guitar expert, but isn't the delay pedal really the key to his classic sound? If that's all a kid would need to get started in terms of learning his style, that's not too bad in terms of cost.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 17, 2017 19:47

2nd shows added for MetLife Stadium and Soldier Field.

Date: January 17, 2017 20:23

tatters

Hopefully Dallas / Arlington also tickets flew out the door

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: January 18, 2017 00:32

Natlanta
well to be fair there's worse things to be than Chuck Berry of the internet age.

this is a Christian band though, right?

Don't know if it is "Christian" to hide in tax shelters... winking smiley

Date: January 18, 2017 18:24

Any U2 Insiders out there? Or in here?

Are there any rumors of other dates being announced.

Are there any chances of a 2nd date for Arlington / Dallas Tx?

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: January 18, 2017 19:09

No inside info here, jump, but it does look like there is room for adding dates to most shows. I am hoping for a 2nd Boston (Foxboro) date, as I am at a festival on the 25th of June.. Stay tuned.. We'll see!

Posted by: MononoM ()
Date: January 18, 2017 21:04

they got people under the stage playing for them
going to brussels to check

Life's just a cocktail party on the street

Date: January 18, 2017 21:15

tatters
Starting to think about going to the 2nd MetLife show...got my presale password for tomorrow at noon.

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: January 18, 2017 21:38

boring band

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: January 18, 2017 21:46

I've always just hated eberything about them personally.
Everything about everything this band pretends to represent and what they sound like has always struck me as bad noise and a bad pose.
I know they're wildly popular obviously. Bobo is like the Jerry Lewis of rock. Edge an outright wildly destructive habitat destroying mega developer; it's all just such pure bullshit and sound like it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-18 21:59 by hopkins.

Date: January 18, 2017 21:54

Millions and Millions of people think they are just great. And I am one of them.

U2 always has great crowd interaction and I think there a several things they did

first and the Stones Copied.

Like the B stage out in the middle of the crowd. U2 did this before the Stones

The stage where there is a walkway around the crowd and there is a place

for the crowd in the middle...yep U2 did first.

And Bono was on Micks solo...so if Mick can like him they cant be all that bad.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-18 21:55 by jumpontopofmebaby.

Date: January 18, 2017 22:09

jumpontopofmebaby
Millions and Millions of people think they are just great. And I am one of them.

U2 always has great crowd interaction and I think there a several things they did

first and the Stones Copied.

Like the B stage out in the middle of the crowd. U2 did this before the Stones

The stage where there is a walkway around the crowd and there is a place

for the crowd in the middle...yep U2 did first.

And Bono was on Micks solo...so if Mick can like him they cant be all that bad.
Well Michael Cole and Mark Fisher were involved with the Stones and U2's massive tours from the late '80s/'90s, so there's no surprise that there would be some overlap in terms of stage design.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 18, 2017 22:39

hopkins

You know them all personally?

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: January 18, 2017 23:59

naw but my grammar duz.
she hates em too. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-18 23:59 by hopkins.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 19, 2017 01:12

hopkins
Everything about everything this band pretends to represent and what they sound like has always struck me as bad noise and a bad pose.
I know they're wildly popular obviously. Bobo is like the Jerry Lewis of rock. Edge an outright wildly destructive habitat destroying mega developer; it's all just such pure bullshit and sound like it.

Bobo? smiling smiley

Now wondering when and why they came up with their nicknames Bono and The Edge. Why not Bongo? Or Bingo? Was 'Bono' a childhood nickname? And if so, what does it mean?
As for The Edge, maybe it's referring to his 'cutting edge' guitar playing? Or did he used to carry a sharp knife?

And as for the other two, why no nicknames?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 19, 2017 02:16

DGA35
treaclefingers
DGA35
treaclefingers
DGA35
Looking at tickets for the Vancouver show, tickets go on sale to the public on Monday. There is a map of BC Place which shows available tickets. The concert is already almost sold out due to presales of fan club members, etc. There are probably not even 1000 tickets left out of approximately 50,000.
A news report said ticket re-sale sites are already advertising tickets for re-sale! Monday the remaining tickets will be gone in just seconds. I was planning on trying to get tickets but I'm not even going to bother.

do you think they may play Prospera Centre while they're here?

They can hit Langley Event Centre, Abbotsford Event Centre then Prospera in Chilliwack! I'm sure they'll be doing the tour rehearsals at the Coliseum like last time.
I hope they play Hope too...they deserve it.

My Hometown!!! We definitely deserve it!

Then we can only Hope!

Date: January 19, 2017 03:08

Hairball
hopkins

Bobo? smiling smiley

Now wondering when and why they came up with their nicknames Bono and The Edge. Why not Bongo? Or Bingo? Was 'Bono' a childhood nickname? And if so, what does it mean?
As for The Edge, maybe it's referring to his 'cutting edge' guitar playing? Or did he used to carry a sharp knife?

Bono comes from Bono Vox, meaning good voice, named after a hearing aid store in Dublin.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-19 03:11 by Koen.

Posted by: Roscoe ()
Date: January 19, 2017 05:33

Koen
Hairball

Bobo? smiling smiley

Bono comes from Bono Vox, meaning good voice, named after a hearing aid store in Dublin.

I always thought it was an homage to his hero, Sonny Bono. eye popping smileygrinning smiley

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: January 19, 2017 05:47

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-26 00:15 by HankM.

Date: January 19, 2017 05:48

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-26 00:15 by HankM.

Date: January 19, 2017 10:37

Roscoe
Koen
Hairball

Bobo? smiling smiley

I always thought it was an homage to his hero, Sonny Bono. eye popping smileygrinning smiley

I believe it was indeed.

Date: January 19, 2017 11:15

-

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-26 00:14 by HankM.

Posted by: superglen ()
Date: January 19, 2017 11:57

jumpontopofmebaby

the schedule in N.A. (20 shows including Bonnaroo fest) and Europe (12 shows) is now apparently complete.

chances of a couple Mexico shows in late may, and around 15/20 shows in NZ, Australia, Japan, Argentina, Brasil, Chile, in the fall.

the fist 23 shows that went on sale, sold an amazing 1.1 million tickets in 24 hours!!!

Date: January 19, 2017 14:38

DandelionPowderman
Roscoe
Koen
Hairball

Bobo? smiling smiley

I believe it was indeed.

Nope: [www.atu2.com]

On the same site you can find where the name The Edge comes from.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: January 19, 2017 14:45

This will save some trouble with clicking the link above:

It was not long after his mother's death that Paul also got his new name. Originally 'Steinhegvanhuysenolegbangbangbang,'
it evolved to 'Bonavox of O'Connell Street' after a hearing aid store in the centre of Dublin,
before eventually being shortened to 'Bonavox,' 'Bono Vox' – cockeyed Latin for 'good voice' – and finally 'Bobo.'

Date: January 19, 2017 15:10

crholmstrom
for doubters i suggest viewing "it might get loud". interesting film & edge more than holds his own with jimmy page. likewise jack white. good movie.
AWESOME movie. Really great exploration of the guitar.

Date: January 19, 2017 15:10

superglen
jumpontopofmebaby

the schedule in N.A. (20 shows including Bonnaroo fest) and Europe (12 shows) is now apparently complete.

chances of a couple Mexico shows in late may, and around 15/20 shows in NZ, Australia, Japan, Argentina, Brasil, Chile, in the fall.

the fist 23 shows that went on sale, sold an amazing 1.1 million tickets in 24 hours!!!

Man I hope you are wrong and they add one more night to Arlington.

And you have to think there would still be a strong possibility they do the

Desert Trip weekends.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: January 19, 2017 17:46

Isn't there a thread where all the people who hate U2 can gather and hate together? In all seriousness, trolling a U2 thread just to trash U2 when you KNOW there are loads of U2 fans posting, who also happen to also be big RS fans if they are frequently on this site, is such a waste of time. I hate Guns and Roses, find Axl to be an atrocious singer and their music to be very lame commercial pop-metal, but I know there are lots of GnR fans on this Stones board who love them, so I'm not going to go trash them on a GnR thread just to be a jerk. Just sayin'.. Spread the love y'all. I am sad to miss U2's JT show in Foxboro this year, and look forward to their new album... whenever that comes out. Cheers.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1787
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home