Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 28
Re: OT: U2
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: January 11, 2017 08:07

Pecman
The fact is...If the Edge took the stage with an electric guitar, a cable and an amp...he wouldn't be able to play most of his songs without all those effects which started from day one with "I Will Follow"...on Keith's side of the street...there would be no issue...that's why U-2 is always chasing The Stones.

I do believe U-2 are good song writers and have unnecessarily have relied on effects and technology to write songs instead of writing songs with acoustic guitars and pianos and adding effects after the songs have been written.

Pecman
But what's wrong with that? Technology evolves...he developed an incredibly unique style using the technology available to him.

That's like saying the Stones wouldn't exist if Paul Tutmarc hadn't invented the guitar amp.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: January 11, 2017 10:41

keefriff99
Pecman
The fact is...If the Edge took the stage with an electric guitar, a cable and an amp...he wouldn't be able to play most of his songs without all those effects which started from day one with "I Will Follow"...on Keith's side of the street...there would be no issue...that's why U-2 is always chasing The Stones.

I do believe U-2 are good song writers and have unnecessarily have relied on effects and technology to write songs instead of writing songs with acoustic guitars and pianos and adding effects after the songs have been written.

Pecman
But what's wrong with that? Technology evolves...he developed an incredibly unique style using the technology available to him.

That's like saying the Stones wouldn't exist if Paul Tutmarc hadn't invented the guitar amp.

Absolutely agree with you.thumbs up

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: January 11, 2017 11:10

Does anyone got presale tix?

Posted by: mariannerl ()
Date: January 11, 2017 13:21

I did get 4 GA tickets Berlin for friends who live there. I saw that tour back in 1987 but I don't want to travel from Zurich for U2.

Posted by: alfstone ()
Date: January 11, 2017 13:48

mariannerl
I did get 4 GA tickets Berlin for friends who live there. I saw that tour back in 1987 but I don't want to travel from Zurich for U2.

How many tickets can you get per code........ 4? One code per show? or mutiple shows (single tickets) per code?.......Do you konw?
Thanks

Date: January 11, 2017 14:20

alfstone
mariannerl

How many tickets can you get per code........ 4? One code per show? or mutiple shows (single tickets) per code?.......Do you konw?
Thanks

Alfstone, I was emailed a single code, which I assume is a single use code, which would limit you to four tickets. Ticketmaster requires you to select the specific show before you use the code. I could be wrong - maybe check with Ticketmaster?

Posted by: mariannerl ()
Date: January 11, 2017 14:43

Father Ted
alfstone
mariannerl

Thanks

Alfstone, I was emailed a single code, which I assume is a single use code, which would limit you to four tickets. Ticketmaster requires you to select the specific show before you use the code. I could be wrong - maybe check with Ticketmaster?

I know a bit tooooo much quoting but it makes sense.

Here... mail of today from U2.com

Your code can be used to purchase up to FOUR (4) tickets. (For example, you might want to buy four tickets for one show or you might want to buy two tickets for one show and two for another. Once you’ve purchased four tickets the code is no longer valid.)

Posted by: alfstone ()
Date: January 11, 2017 15:21

mariannerl
Father Ted
alfstone
mariannerl

Thanks

Your code can be used to purchase up to FOUR (4) tickets. (For example, you might want to buy four tickets for one show or you might want to buy two tickets for one show and two for another. Once you’ve purchased four tickets the code is no longer valid.)

That´s right, i´ve just verified that.....the code is for 4 tickets...up to four different shows....once you get 4 tickets the code will be invalid

Thanks

Date: January 11, 2017 15:49

anyone have a code for Dallas they are not going to use?

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: January 12, 2017 05:40

GasLightStreet

Yes. I understand your point about DIRTY WORK and the lunacy of that but R&H is disturbingly bad. It was probably more of a move from Island Records than U2. It's just a weird album. It's as if they caught the beginning of the headache of a hangover from being drunk on the JOSHUA TREE tour (similar to how the movie was perceived) and didn't deal with it. Besides, it's not like it's a full on studio album (it's too bad it wasn't).

Maybe part of why I don't like it so much is because it's "the soundtrack" to the movie which is just - there's very little about the movie that's good.

POP has some really good tunes on it - Gone, Last Night On Earth, Playboy Mansion, Miami, Staring At The Sun, If You Wear That Velvet Dress, Do You Feel Loved, Please.

Are they great? Gone is the one great track on POP. So no. But that's how much I dislike R&H (this is about the equivalent of me praising TSMR over DW).

POP has some really bad tracks on it too: Discotheque is just painful (the B-side was a thousand times better) but If God Will Send His Angels is possibly the worst song U2 has ever done - or at least recorded and released. It is horrendous. Mofo is... I like it but I don't like it. The just-the-band version had more movement to it. Still wasn't very good though.

My recollection is that Keith and The Stones implored U2 to explore music, they did by listening to blues and gospel that, as 'young punks' they had never truly heard before.

THAT exploration led to R&H - it's U2's homage to "the roots of modern music" that The Stones got them to explore.

Great, if unusual, album, better than most they put out nowdays - but at LEAST they put out new material.

Rod

Date: January 12, 2017 10:39

alfstone
mariannerl
Father Ted
alfstone
mariannerl

Thanks

That´s right, i´ve just verified that.....the code is for 4 tickets...up to four different shows....once you get 4 tickets the code will be invalid

Thanks

Looks like you're good for 4 shows!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-12 11:42 by Father Ted.

Posted by: spunky ()
Date: January 12, 2017 16:09

Got GA tickets for Amsterdam :-)

Date: January 12, 2017 16:14

spunky

thumbs up Got GA tickets for London smileys with beer

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: January 12, 2017 16:15

spunky
Mooi man, zie je in Nijmegen? oslo?Uk? Barcelona?Parijs?
groet
jeroen

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: January 12, 2017 17:20

Could never really get into U2. I respect them as artists but something never clicked for me. I dunno, I kind of like the music but not Bono's voice. It's just me, I know.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: January 12, 2017 17:30

HonkeyTonkFlash
Could never really get into U2. I respect them as artists but something never clicked for me. I dunno, I kind of like the music but not Bono's voice. It's just me, I know.

I have the same problem with Janis Joplin and Neil Young.

Date: January 12, 2017 17:40

HonkeyTonkFlash

Fair enough, if you don't like them, you don't like them. I can't stand Bob Dylan's voice. No amount of praise for his albums will convince otherwise!!

Posted by: micwer ()
Date: January 12, 2017 17:42

Got 2 tix for NY but getting them was a mess. Really terrible process.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 12, 2017 18:24

I'll probably end up going to Cleveland and/or Chicago, which are the only 2 shows that are really within driving distance. Excited about the tour, but not sure it's worth the added expense of plane tickets.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: January 13, 2017 00:15

Now I see U2 is delaying new album plans because they're in a tither about Donald Trump. I mean, I get it but c'mon; the Stones never let politics get in the way of their music.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: January 13, 2017 07:05

My point is the Edge hides behind his lack of talent as a guitar player with Effects. He is a mediocre guitar player at best...But is a master using effects.

If you put him in an acoustic situation or a straight plug the electric guitar in the amp...he couldn't play his own songs.

And Adam Clayton...oh my God...besides the bass riff in New Years Day...the guy has made a career of playing straight quarter notes.

Pecman

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-13 07:05 by Pecman.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 13, 2017 07:09

Pecman
My point is the Edge hides behind his lack of talent as a guitar player with Effects. He is a mediocre guitar player at best...But is a master using effects.

If you put him in an acoustic situation or a straight plug the electric guitar in the amp...he couldn't play his own songs.

And Adam Clayton...oh my God...besides the bass riff in New Years Day...the guy has made a career of playing straight quarter notes.

Pecman

So stupid. Yes he can play the guitar. No I'm not a big champion of him but he's not just effects. He has a style. You give him an acoustic guitar and he plays beautiful songs like the acoustic versions of Sunday Bloody Sunday and Staring At The Sun. He knows how to play the guitar, such a dumb statement. Thats like saying Keith can't really play because he's not the lead guitar player. He's a different kind of player. He stepped up and showed he CAN play more than just a riff and rhythm on Let It Bleed, but he will never play like Mick Taylor. All guitarists are different, The Edge is no different in that sense, and its insane to think that you take away his effects and this multi-million dollar guitar player would be lost. Seriously.

Date: January 13, 2017 07:28

I stand by my statement.

The Edge is a magician...not a guitar player.
The amount of effects on the stage at his feet and on top of his amp is ridiculous.

Johnny Ramone and Steve Jones blow him away
because they played from the heart and their fingers...
The Edge plays through technology...a big difference.

Any great song can be played on acoustic guitar or piano...

You can't say that for most U-2 songs.

Pecman

Date: January 13, 2017 07:28

Pecman

Pecman
SO. BLEEPING. WHAT?? Just like with Cliff Williams in AC/DC and Ian Hill in Judas Priest, Clayton's playing style is dictated precisely by what U2's music calls for.

He's a rock-solid bassist and is worth hundreds of millions of dollars because he was lucky enough to hook up with three other passionate, driven musicians.

He's living the dream. We should all be so lucky.

Date: January 13, 2017 07:36

Pecman
I stand by my statement.

The amount of effects on the stage at his feet and on top of his amp is ridiculous.

Pecman
You have a highly skewed and incomplete understanding of what the Edge does with the guitar.

I'll put it that way: his playing has moved me emotionally more consistently over the past 20 years than anything Keith has done.

Date: January 13, 2017 07:53

keefriff 99

Yes...I agree with you 100%! And you can lump Michael Anthony of Van Halen in
that group of lucky bass players.

The true talent of U-2 is their manager Paul McGuiness.

He was asked to sell a broken down used car to the world
and made the world believe they were buying a Mercedes Benz.

Except for The Joshua Tree...which is masterpiece!

The rest of it is under-rated and over-rated.

U-2 is the most over-rated band who are considered among the greats.

I'm serious...do you really believe Bono is a great singer?

Bono is a great believer that Bono is a great singer but the talent ends there.

Put that dude up against Elvis Presley, James Brown, Mick Jagger, Prince, Michael Jackson, Roger Daltrey, Lennon & McCartney, Marvin Gaye, etc...Bono doesn't even belong in the same building.

Pecman

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: January 13, 2017 07:55

Pecman
I stand by my statement.

Pecman

I can't imagine a lot of Johnny Ramone and Steve Jones songs sounding all too great on acoustic guitar or piano... not even Jimi Hendrix songs...

It's not really important how technically difficult anything you play is, what's really important is that you develop your own distinctive style that serves the band and its songs, and here The Edge is a genius just like Keith, and hugely influential at that.

What you are basically saying equates that Keith can't be a good guitar player because a lot of the stuff is basically very simple... For me, not only virtuosity, but also simplicity can be genius - see Satisfaction, but also I Will Follow. On the other hand, you have thousands of technically perfect guitar players who can play a thousand notes in a millisecond but don't go anywhere.

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: January 13, 2017 08:21

Any information about the stage design?

Date: January 13, 2017 08:21

Pecman
keefriff 99

Yes...I agree with you 100%! And you can lump Michael Anthony of Van Halen in
that group of lucky bass players.

The true talent of U-2 is their manager Paul McGuiness.

He was asked to sell a broken down used car to the world
and made the world believe they were buying a Mercedes Benz.

Except for The Joshua Tree...which is masterpiece!

The rest of it is under-rated and over-rated.

U-2 is the most over-rated band who are considered among the greats.

I'm serious...do you really believe Bono is a great singer?

Bono is a great believer that Bono is a great singer but the talent ends there.

Put that dude up against Elvis Presley, James Brown, Mick Jagger, Prince, Michael Jackson, Roger Daltrey, Lennon & McCartney, Marvin Gaye, etc...Bono doesn't even belong in the same building.

Pecman
I think he has a wonderful singing voice. That's my opinion. I also would not put him among the people you listed, but he's in the "second tier" of all-time great singing front men.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: January 13, 2017 10:10

Pecman
Pecman

Sure. And Mozart was an extremely lousy composer, since most of his music must be played by a full orchestra and can not be played on an accoustic guitar. And he composed no blues! Outrageous, how can some people even consider him to be a musician!

You are entitled to have your opinion, I respect that, but I think that roots in blues and accoustic guitar or an electric guitar plugged into an amplifier is not a necessary condition for good (rock) music. There is space for all kinds of colours in the was universe called music.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1829
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home