Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 28
Re: OT- U2 Saying special shows coming in 2017
Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: December 29, 2016 07:43

IrelandCalling4
The '2 went from being the coolest band there was; here in 87 everyone either had Joshua Tree or was saving to purchase it; to the perceived lamest act around these days. Not sure exactly how that happened. From 87 to 93 really and the incredible Zoo TV era they really were sh*t hot. Zoo TV was the live show all of their peers even mythologised at the time.

Bono has a lot to do with their perception today; the very conservative output 2000 to present day obviously knocked them a bit also. The U2 of the millenium is as safe as you can get; the edge completely eradicated from their music - pun intended.

I think it all ended after MacPisstoe appeared on the stage. They never recovered from that costume change or something. Coincidence?

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: December 29, 2016 08:09

Have to agree that they were amazing for a spell. I saw the Joshua Tree, Zoo TV and Pop tours and then again when "Elevation" was the hit.

Zoo TV was an absolutely mind-bending concert. While they are all earnest as hell, and Bono has become the mouthpiece of earnestness, they could rock (though they cannot be accused of having any roll at all).

They really haven't done anything to capture the magic since that peak period, but that run of War, Unforgettable Fire, Joshua Tree, and Achtung Baby are as good as any four records by most any band. (I'm omitting the turd of Rattle and Hum before the reinvention, of course).

T@3

Date: December 29, 2016 11:47

TeaAtThree
Have to agree that they were amazing for a spell. I saw the Joshua Tree, Zoo TV and Pop tours and then again when "Elevation" was the hit.

Zoo TV was an absolutely mind-bending concert. While they are all earnest as hell, and Bono has become the mouthpiece of earnestness, they could rock (though they cannot be accused of having any roll at all).

They really haven't done anything to capture the magic since that peak period, but that run of War, Unforgettable Fire, Joshua Tree, and Achtung Baby are as good as any four records by most any band. (I'm omitting the turd of Rattle and Hum before the reinvention, of course).

T@3
I'd add POP, and then 'All that you cant leave' as kind of a recap to that string. And also in omitting that dreadful Rattle & Hum album

Posted by: MrEcho ()
Date: December 29, 2016 13:16

As long as Apple does not spam it into people's iTunes accounts they can do whatever they want.

Re: OT: U2
Posted by: Tate ()
Date: December 29, 2016 15:09

What on earth was wrong with Rattle and Hum? It was just an extension of the Joshua Tree era and tour.. There's a lot if great stuff on there! And the film was a lot of fun back in the day. I loved the MacPhisto gag, and loved the 'Pop' album... I feel each album has gotten somewhat weaker since, but I still enjoy what they produce. It's hard to be a creative force for so many years. Nothing they've done is crap, in my opinion, but it's been a while since I've been really taken by a U2 album. The live show is still a special experience and worth a go every time.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 29, 2016 18:04

RATTLE AND HUM was just something to capitalize on the JOSHUA TREE tour. Sure it has some good tunes on it but it's just not very good, it's scattered. It made sense at the time but it hasn't aged well: why would anyone want to listen to Helter Skelter or All Along The Watchtower?

They were lost in their ignorance but more so their own myth and stardom - and believing it. Perhaps not a difficult thing to have happen considering the success of THE JOSHUA TREE and their bigger status as a live act with demand. ACHTUNG BABY and ZOO TV (and ZOOROPA) brought forth a different kind of seriousness - one that wasn't so much about itself but outside of themselves with a different sound and purposely ridiculous and funny lyrics (as well as serious and perhaps deep lyrics without the pomposity of previous albums) that were pretty good. They took that too far with POP, which is why there was the Coke Classic element of The Sweetest Thing and ALL THAT YOU CAN'T LEAVE BEHIND being so good.

Rattle and Hum is by far the least-focused record U2 ever made, and it's little wonder that they retreated for three years after its release to rethink their whole approach.

[www.allmusic.com]

Posted by: MrEcho ()
Date: December 29, 2016 18:24

GasLightStreet
RATTLE AND HUM was just something to capitalize on the JOSHUA TREE tour. Sure it has some good tunes on it but it's just not very good, it's scattered. It made sense at the time but it hasn't aged well: why would anyone want to listen to Helter Skelter or All Along The Watchtower?

"Anybody ever heard of a group called 'U2'? [no reaction from the crowd] Well, it don't matter. Anyway, they recorded this song ... but they recorded it with THE WRONG WORDS. Here are the CORRECT words."

Bob Dylan before "All Along the Watchtower", Evanston, November 4, 1991

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: December 29, 2016 18:59

mtaylor
frankotero
U2 has tried to be innovative throughout the years. Sometimes they failed (in my opinion). But if they're saying "special shows" I'm inclined to believe they're going to pull off something great, maybe club shows, special tickets, full album gigs or whatever they can come up with. I'm excited to see what's going to happen.

Trump inauguration ceremony show in January.... smileys with beer

Remember, Bono was on very good condition with Bush, etc.
Bono worked with the Bush Administration on funding HIV prevention and treatment in Africa. Bono said that he withheld criticism of the Bush Administration (on the Iraq war, for instance) in an effort to curry favor with them on Africa aid.

In fact, most experts say that increased and effective aid to Africa was one of the few genuine bright spots on Bush's legacy.

Trying to work with the current President-elect on ANY issue that helps people anywhere on the planet will be a futile effort.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: December 29, 2016 19:01

U2 became huge in Italy with Sunday Bloody Sunday. I was a teen then. In public I had to hate them (it was cool to bash U2 even back then), but after the first Live Aid concert I had to admit to my self that the band had something.

First record I bought was Joshua Tree. Still regard it as a masterpiece.

I also bought Rattle and Hum, and for some time loved it. But it didn't age well.

I hated Achtung Baby at first, seemed a rehash of Bowie's Heroes. But this one aged well and eventually my appreciation for it grew a lot.

Nothing ever since really interested me. Saw them once live, and wasn't impressed.

C

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: December 29, 2016 19:03

U2 just ain't no absurd "Greatest Hits at Horrible Prices"-thing yet. But this will change probably if they carrying on 15 more years.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: December 29, 2016 19:35

keefriff99
mtaylor
frankotero
U2 has tried to be innovative throughout the years. Sometimes they failed (in my opinion). But if they're saying "special shows" I'm inclined to believe they're going to pull off something great, maybe club shows, special tickets, full album gigs or whatever they can come up with. I'm excited to see what's going to happen.

Bono worked with the Bush Administration on funding HIV prevention and treatment in Africa. Bono said that he withheld criticism of the Bush Administration (on the Iraq war, for instance) in an effort to curry favor with them on Africa aid.

In fact, most experts say that increased and effective aid to Africa was one of the few genuine bright spots on Bush's legacy.

Trying to work with the current President-elect on ANY issue that helps people anywhere on the planet will be a futile effort.

Bono will do it, great photo op.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 29, 2016 20:04

MKjan
keefriff99
mtaylor
frankotero

Bono will do it, great photo op.

I can hear him now..."Can't we all just get along...it's a small world after all...love the one your with...imagine all the people...give peace a chance..."

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: December 29, 2016 20:49

Tate
What on earth was wrong with Rattle and Hum? It was just an extension of the Joshua Tree era and tour.. There's a lot if great stuff on there! And the film was a lot of fun back in the day. I loved the MacPhisto gag, and loved the 'Pop' album... I feel each album has gotten somewhat weaker since, but I still enjoy what they produce. It's hard to be a creative force for so many years. Nothing they've done is crap, in my opinion, but it's been a while since I've been really taken by a U2 album. The live show is still a special experience and worth a go every time.

It's got some great things on it, but it's all over the place and lacks coherency. I like some of it, though I would say it's the album from that period that I play the least.

I tell you what. I take back my calling it "a turd," as that is unfair. I was just trying to separate it from what was an otherwise strong set of records.

In truth, any fan would much rather have Rattle and Hum than NOT have Rattle and Hum. Just like I would rather have all the songs on Voodoo Lounge and Bridges than have a "better" 10 song album replace each.

T@3

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: December 29, 2016 23:36

U2 ain't got that swing and can't even boogie or roll with their own rock.

Lyrics were interesting for a while (1980-1991 or so), but many a people wrote better books about life.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 30, 2016 01:23

It dawned on me that after In Gods Country from '87 (their last decent tune imo), the title track from the soundtrack of the movie In the Name of the Father is a pretty good tune.
Technically not a U2 song ( a Bono/Gavin Friday collaboration), and probably not something I'd listen to on it's own, but it works well during the tense opening scenes of that great movie.
Truth be told, I've only listened to it while watching the movie....until now. Decent atmospheric tune, but just makes me want to see the movie again.
For the most part, the entire soundtrack is good with Hendrix, Dylan, and Thin Lizzy among others.

Bono & Gavin Friday - In The Name Of The Father (1993)

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: December 30, 2016 16:26

keefriff99
mtaylor
frankotero

I think Elton John had some very nice things to say about Bush as well on this subject. Not everything is black and white, you don't have to like or hate everything about anyone to agree or disagree on certain points. Give credit where credit is due; and criticism as well.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: December 30, 2016 16:36

Monsoon Ragoon
U2 just ain't no absurd "Greatest Hits at Horrible Prices" - thing yet. But this will change probably if they carrying on 15 more years.

Great name for a tour ........moody smiley

OT: U2 Joshua Tree tour
Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: January 9, 2017 12:02

Apologies if repeating: U2 play Twickenham UK Jul 8

Re: OT: U2 Joshua Tree tour
Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: January 9, 2017 12:19

July 29, Amsterdam arena. Would like to go..am afraid it will interfere with the Stones gigs.
Jeroen

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 9, 2017 12:25

May 12 in Seattle. I'm going. Unfortunately, Mumford & Son are opening. I can see a late arrival for this one!

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: January 9, 2017 12:29

wow that is a really long tour, I caught it in 1987 smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-09 12:29 by Ket.

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: January 9, 2017 12:36

Hi sorry to bother you has anyone got the prices for London. I really enjoyed seeing them and their tickets are very good value for money>grinning smiley<

Posted by: Christos ()
Date: January 9, 2017 12:37

OK now, could the Stones please announce their own tour dates ASAP?

I am sure many of us would like to see both bands and we need to know which city to be in and when.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: January 9, 2017 12:49

Christos
OK now, could the Stones please announce their own tour dates ASAP?

I am sure many of us would like to see both bands and we need to know which city to be in and when.
smileys with beersmileys with beer>grinning smiley<
Jeroen

Posted by: Sjouke ()
Date: January 9, 2017 13:50

Here are all data, if not posted before:

[www.u2.com]

sjouke

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: January 9, 2017 15:18

Sat Jul 8 London UK Twickenham Stadium
Wed Jul 12 Berlin DE Olympic Stadium
Sat Jul 15 Rome IT Olympic Stadium
Tue Jul 18 Barcelona ES Olympic Stadium
Sat Jul 22 Dublin IE Croke Park
Tue Jul 25 Paris FR Stade De France
Sat Jul 29 Amsterdam NL Amsterdam Arena
Tue Aug 1 Brussels BE Stade Roi-Baudoin

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: January 9, 2017 15:35

grzegorz67

Times 2

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: January 9, 2017 15:44

leteyer
grzegorz67

Times 2

You reckon they'll do 2 shows at each of these venues if demand is sufficient ? That's how they've done their tours in the past.

Date: January 9, 2017 16:06

any word or help with the presale

I will be seeing them in Dallas

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 9, 2017 17:40

No Detroit show. May try to catch them at Soldier Field.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1788
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home