Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

anyone familiar with Bobby keys album from 1972??
Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: December 10, 2016 16:31

got it from the library. its on the record labelm wounded bird records.

musicians, amongst others:george harrison,ringo starr,dace mason, leslie west,jack bruce,Nicky Hopkins,Jim Price

songtitles: steal from a king, smokefoot,bootleg,altar rock,key west,command performance,crispy duck, sand and foam.

there are no liner notes inside.

have not listened to it much, as the new Stones album has my focus.

Hope someone knows this album.
jeroen

Re: anyone familiar with Bobby keys album from 1972??
Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: December 10, 2016 16:54

I have this record. It has been a coon's age since I last spun it, but as I recall it is not a bad record. However, if one is seeking an LP with a Stonesy-vibe, this is not it.

Thanks for posting, as I am going to whip out my copy and play it later today.

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 11, 2016 16:20

One song, "Bootleg," made it into the setlist on Bobby's 2012 club tour with the Suffering Bastards. I mentioned it when I briefly spoke to him after the show. He seemed surprised that anyone was even aware that he had a solo album. Not a bad record. I never got around to actually buying a copy, but I've listened to the entire thing on youtube. Here's the link:

[youtu.be]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-11 16:32 by tatters.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: December 11, 2016 16:39

Steal From A King is great:

[www.youtube.com]

Date: December 11, 2016 16:49

From what I remember, the whole album is great for the most part, all instrumental.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: December 11, 2016 17:14

It's a lazy listen for when you're doing things around the ranch...Bob only took two writing credits on there which I found humble of him. Great cover with him and a full bottle of souza along with barry the baritone...or was that tony the baritone

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: December 11, 2016 17:30

Thanks everyone for the input.
jeroen

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: December 11, 2016 21:50

Thanks.

Posted by: sandandglue ()
Date: December 11, 2016 23:53

I believe there was a pirate copy on Mid-Valley that was doing the rounds. Not too difficult to pick up either unlike the original LP.

Posted by: sandandglue ()
Date: December 11, 2016 23:55

Although .. Discogs

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: December 12, 2016 00:41

I've got an original(1972)copy that Booby signed for me in Oct 2012....

Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: December 30, 2020 08:59

The album is called "Bobby Keys." It came out in 1972. Some of the songs call to mind the horn arrangements on "Bitch." Others are jazzier. This lukewarm review from AllMusic says "...recording began after Keys, Price, and Nicky Hopkins wrapped up the Exile on Main St. tour."

Besides Keys, these musicians played on the album: Jim Price (trumpet); John Uribe, Leslie West, Charlee Freeman, Dave Mason, George Harrison (guitar); Carl Radle, Klaus Voorman, Felix Pappalardi, Jack Bruce (bass guitar); Nicky Hopkins, Mike Utley, Jim Price (keyboards); Corky Laing, Jim Gordon, Ringo Starr (drums)

The songs are all available on YouTube:

Steal From A King

Smokefoot

Bootleg

Altar Rock

Key West

Command Performance

Crispy Duck

Sand & Foam

I think the Rolling Stones owe a lot to the great Bobby Keys!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-30 09:09 by Pietro.

Date: December 30, 2020 12:08

It's on Spotify: [open.spotify.com]

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: December 30, 2020 12:51

Around this time Bill Wyman did an excellent job of producing TuckyBuzzards album.Check out the excellent track, Whiskey Eyes, featuring Mick Taylor,Price and Keys

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: December 30, 2020 15:43

I just listened to the record and I like it. No vocals only instruments. It is early 70's no doubt. Bobby was a visionary, somewhat, because in 1973 Edgar Winter scored big with "Frankenstein" which is very much in the style of what Bobby did here.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Date: December 30, 2020 15:56

While reading on Bobby Keys, I found a mention about Bobby's involvement with the Ronnie Woody's club Woody's in Florida in the early 90's. It is said that Bobby was the musical director and that he had a band made of Mick Taylor, Nicky Hopkins, Ivan Neville and others; the band was called Tumbling Dice. Are there any recordings of that band? Thankyou.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: December 30, 2020 19:10

Love to hear that version of his band, Mops. I only have a recording from a bit before he died, from a small club here in Buffalo with the Suffering Bastards. Actually a good recording or songs that Bobby (according to Bobby) played on in his career (I keep doubting he was old enough to play on Dion's The Wanderer, but wtf do I know lol). I did not get to the show but it sounds like it was a fun time for all.

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: December 31, 2020 07:24

rollmops
While reading on Bobby Keys, I found a mention about Bobby's involvement with the Ronnie Woody's club Woody's in Florida in the early 90's. It is said that Bobby was the musical director and that he had a band made of Mick Taylor, Nicky Hopkins, Ivan Neville and others; the band was called Tumbling Dice. Are there any recordings of that band? Thankyou.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Some shows circulated, for example Tumbling Dice 1993-07-17 Miami, Stephen Talkhouse (Complete Show with Mick Taylor)

and these two ones:

MT 1992.05.01 Tumbling Dice (Mick Taylor, Nicky Hopkins and Bobby Keys) Charcoals Kendall, FL flac.rar
[www.filefactory.com]

MT 1992.05.02 Tumbling Dice (Mick Taylor, Nicky Hopkins and Bobby Keys) Charcoals Kendall, FL flac.rar
[www.filefactory.com]

I like Bobby Keys' 1972 album!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-31 07:26 by Quique-stone.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: December 31, 2020 08:35

Be sure to check out those two Florida shows, man they are smoking and A1 sound quality. I was impressed to say the least.

I am going to have to find this solo LP of Keys, I faintly recall it from way back then but don't recall what it looks like. Onward ebay.

edit: was just looking around and seems it was reissued on CD sometime kind of recently:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BOBBY-KEYS-BOBBY-KEYS-NEW-CD/381596483553?epid=117509761&hash=item58d8ec3fe1:g:3M4AAOSwysFcIUQK

jb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-31 08:40 by jbwelda.

Date: December 31, 2020 14:41

That solo effort by Bobby is Excellent. Commercially not but musically yes. The impressive list of great musicians who joined Bobby in the studio is a testament of how Keys was well appreciated by his peers. The music on that record is a reminder of a direction that rock and roll took for a few years; it is a big, big band(lot of musicians) playing rock and roll with the horn section as the driving force. John Lennon producing Mick (too many cooks) Chicago, Joe Cocker later on Dexy Midnight Ramblers etc... I have always loved that experiment, that mix of big band set up with the spirit of a rockandroll combo. Thank you Bobby!
Rockandroll,
Mops

Date: December 31, 2020 15:27

In 1972, a horn player named Gato Barbieri made the soundtrack of A Last Tango in Paris which was a big commercial success. Probably that gave Bobby an opportunity to explore a solo career. On his first record there are songs that seem to chase money success ,a song like "Altar Rock". But it is part of the game of rock and roll music to try to hit the Jackpot at least once.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: December 31, 2020 19:27

Perhaps that was the time the horn players got their chances. Jim Price released a record in 1971 on A&M records (Kids nowadays ain‘t got no shame ). Produced by Jimmy Miller , recorded with the Stones Mobile and Nicky Hopkins, Bobby Keys , Klaus Voormann and Jim Keltner are on it .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1969
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home