Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: September 28, 2019 10:11

Even a "sub-standard" new Stones album is better than nothing. A Bigger Bang was far better than many on here believe, but maybe too long, with too many fillers. If the "new album" will ever be released we should not expect another Exile or even Tattoo You. What were the real great songs 1989 onwards: I count Love Is Strong, Highwire, It Won't Take Long, Laugh I Nearly Died, Continental Drift, Blue And Lonesome, maybe 4-5 more. I don't expect wonders. None of them - except LIS - has been widely performed in concert, by the way. But that is another discussion. If they play "new" songs they play trash. Good trash maybe. Out Of Control for instance is actually not a classic, but it rocks every stadium. Same with You Got Me Rocking.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-28 10:43 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 28, 2019 13:35

"Saint of Me" was pretty good too with Waddy's stellar guitar licks and I also like "Already Over Me" thanks to its cool production, Benmont Tench on keys and (Ronnie ?) on dobro.

@Ian - Good point on working on the songs that have the most potential and while there's certainly a lot to be said about good production and subtle playing (the big difference between B2B with its significant outside help and ABB IMHO) the songs are not going to become "great" in the process (is it Keith that once talked about trying to "polish a turd") and for some reason they seem to be hell bent on achieving that, who are they kidding ?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: September 28, 2019 15:10

Hairball
"...slowly blossom to their maximum potential"

There's also the risk of having some of these 40 works "in progress" decay like a rotten apple. Most any other band would have said "fine, finished, release it", and then move on to something else.
In the Stones case, and at this late point in their careers, it seems stockpiling all of these tracks has become a burden, and they're probably sick of being asked about it in interviews.
The reality is, it's not like they're in their twenties any more where they were in their prime and had the luxury of time on their side. More blues covers would be welcome, even though it would lack creative credibility.

Ya ... or a band in their twenties / thirties ... maybe even forties would of simply been in the studio .. working at it much ... muuuuuch more frequently in order to get these tracks to their full potential. They act like they are a band in their twenties with all the time in the world ahead of them .. Not sure I get that perception of theirs??

Yupp ... I'm right there with ya on this ... believe me.

Re: Another Stones studio album in 2018
Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 28, 2019 21:37

Bungo
I have a gut feeling we're actually VERY close to the release of the new CD.

2018, April eye rolling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-28 21:38 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: September 28, 2019 21:48

End of November 2020 could be a reasonable optionwinking smiley

Date: September 28, 2019 23:15

mailexile67
End of November 2020 could be a reasonable optionwinking smiley

Why stop there? ...

Let's move ahead to 2022 ...2023 ... in between five other tours as well. I mean hey .. the album itself will only be a solid five years in the making ...and 15 friggin years since their last album (original material) .. by the time it comes.

Might as well plan on making it a ten year album ... We can get probably plan on getting it in 2025 or around in there ... It's all understandable and plausible ... innit? .. .. ....

Ian -

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-28 23:47 by IanBillen.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 29, 2019 00:57

Wondering if Mick will tweet out another video snippet of himself "working on new music" any time soon?
Then again he's probably basking in the success (ie counting the money) of the recent NoFilter shows, and any work is the furthest thing from his mind.
December in the studio is just over two months away, but hard to imagine much of anything will get done considering it's the holidays.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 29, 2019 01:09

From a purely artistic view the best thing would have been if they had stopped around the same time Sir Michael decided to put the band on halt. Around 1984. The real decline hadn't started then.
I think it was the fact that Sir Michael realized after a while that there were much more money to make with the Stones than to continue with his solo ambitions that saved the band.

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: September 29, 2019 01:12

Stoneage
From a purely artistic view the best thing would have been if they had stopped around the same time Sir Michael decided to put the band on halt. Around 1984. The real decline hadn't started then.
I think it was the fact that Sir Michael realized after a while that there were much more money to make with the Stones than to continue with his solo ambitions that saved the band.

ROTFL

Date: September 29, 2019 01:40

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-29 02:01 by Stoneage.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 29, 2019 19:06

Stoneage

There is an essence to their creative existence that ends with UNDERCOVER and is summed up with REWIND. Since then it's been The Other Rolling Stones, even with Bill on the 1986 and 1989 albums - after U they fell off the creative cliff, especially in context with what they had done from 1968-1979 ala TATTOO YOU.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 29, 2019 21:25

Yeah, as much as there are other factors, I can't really dispute Stoneage's take. My own personal preference would have been for Mick and Keith to have kept their songwriting collaboration vital, but really by EMOTIONAL RESCUE it was already reaching the breaking point. From that perspective it's amazing they kept at it as often as they have since then.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 29, 2019 23:26

Rocky Dijon
Yeah, as much as there are other factors, I can't really dispute Stoneage's take. My own personal preference would have been for Mick and Keith to have kept their songwriting collaboration vital, but really by EMOTIONAL RESCUE it was already reaching the breaking point. From that perspective it's amazing they kept at it as often as they have since then.

Look at JUMP BACK - it has Mixed Emotions, RAAHPlace and Harlem Shuffle on it. It's an expanded REWIND.

FORTY LICKS goes a little further with, after only Mixed Emotions - Love Is Strong, You Got Me Rocking and ASMB? as the newest tracks on a heavily edited and limited disc 2 representing 1971 onward.

THE SIMIAN DISASTER has only Harlem Shuffle, Love Is Strong and ASMB? (as well as Don't Stop) on it other than the 2 new songs.

HONK is a pretty in depth 1971-2016 anthology, giving enough of a nod to the last 4 studio albums with Love Is Strong, ASMB?, Rough Justice and Just Your Fool, among other tracks from that time frame, as well as a bit more rounded of the 1970s with Rocks Off and Dancing With Mr D.

Which pretty much makes HONK the definitive 1971 onward hits comp now, along with HOT ROCKS. There's really no going wrong with those 2 comps regarding their career.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: September 29, 2019 23:35

It´s time to lock up both Mick and keith into that ol´ kitchen again.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: September 30, 2019 00:21

Waiting for the next Compilation!smoking smileygrinning smileyspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: September 30, 2019 01:33

There are of course other factors to take in consideration here in order to explain the lack of creativity in later decades. Here are two:

1) The (main) songwriters are a duo. Duos tend to break up after a while. Their collaboration lasted long enough. But not forever.
The reason Van and Dylan still produces good (or decent) albums is probably the fact that they can call all the shots themselves.

2) The format they are within; basically blues-rock, kind of peaked in the early 70s. It's not the flavor of the month anymore.
Of course they tried to adapt to other formats but blues-rock is still their bread and butter.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: September 30, 2019 04:17

Snapshot from Mick's pocketbook:

People try to put us d-down
(Talkin' 'bout our compilations ...) grinning smiley

Date: September 30, 2019 06:27

Hairball
Wondering if Mick will tweet out another video snippet of himself "working on new music" any time soon?
Then again he's probably basking in the success (ie counting the money) of the recent NoFilter shows, and any work is the furthest thing from his mind.
December in the studio is just over two months away, but hard to imagine much of anything will get done considering it's the holidays.

Hairball ... well ... if they are going into the studio ... lots will get done. They don't schedule everyone to go into the studio to lounge about and toy around in between making egg nog (regardless if it's December or July).

They are going into it with the intent on getting some things done and accomplished .. A studio session scheduled with The Stones, their producer, world class engineers, guitar techs etc. isn't to just toy about because it happens to be around The Holidays. It is for a reason. We have sessions booked for December as well .. the artists who are scheduled during that month are planning on recording select material and have the songs in mind. Same is true (even more so) with the Stones .. people will be flying in from wherever to work on this. They recorded in December of 2015 and got an album out of it (though unplanned and was def not the album they went in to record ha) ... and they did a heck of a lot of work (10 days worth). The new material wasn't ready / good enough during that session but it was not / and will not be taken as a ... 'we will toy around a bit and see what happens ...' type of affair since it's around the holidays. That much I can tell ya my guy. They will be going in with a certain objective in mind and will work hard at it regardless of it being December.

I'm not saying it will all be done or that they will meet their desired objective but it will not be any less serious of an affair than if they were recording in the middle of June or any other time (the holidays have nothing to do with it if they have a session booked). They have recorded in December before and have got quite a bit accomplished in that time frame. For example see what they did in 93 in December (& November) when recording for Voodoo Lounge (they got a quite a bit of work done during that time frame).
The Holidays have / will have nothing to do with how much they get done (it all depends on the takes and / or how things go).

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-30 06:44 by IanBillen.

Date: September 30, 2019 07:24

Ian, seems we're going over the same old ground again...over and over...again and again...deja vu.

At best, they will get in a couple of days of work on a new album, so not sure how much will actually get accomplished.
And for all we know, they might decide to start working on overdubs for some live No Filter cuts to be released on another Greatest Hits.
Or maybe just decide to do some more blues covers...Keith wanted that a couple of years ago, and at the slow rate they're going to come up with anything original, more blues covers might be the best answer.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: October 1, 2019 00:47

Ah, c'mon, Ian is the only optimist in this thread anyway. We've got sarcastics here, cynics, traditionalists, blues heads and whatnot, there's not only room for an uncompromising optimist, we also wouldn't be complete without one. winking smiley

Date: October 1, 2019 04:05

True enough doitywoik - Ian is a necessity for this thread. thumbs up

Maybe the Stones will work on a Christmas album in December.
Two or three days in the studio ala Blue and Lonesome, and Joy to the World!

Date: October 1, 2019 07:19

[www.instagram.com]
Just can't wait to hear this beautiful sound on the fantastic new album, looking forward to enjoy all the new material with all of you, the next studio album Is coming and It will be amazing!thumbs upwinking smileysmileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-01 07:22 by DiegoGlimmerStones.

Date: October 1, 2019 07:24

DiegoGlimmerStones
[www.instagram.com]
Just can't wait to hear this beautiful sound on the fantastic new album, looking forward to enjoy all the new material with all of you, the next studio album Is coming and It will be amazing!thumbs upwinking smileysmileys with beer

Oddly, this sounds like a Springsteen tune...I can actually hear him bellowing and grunting when I listen to it.

Date: October 1, 2019 08:00

Hairball

Thanks all ... I have to keep the balance... isn't a conscious choice...Tis jus who I be .. ha.

Rock on -

Date: October 1, 2019 08:01

doitywoik
Ah, c'mon, Ian is the only optimist in this thread anyway. We've got sarcastics here, cynics, traditionalists, blues heads and whatnot, there's not only room for an uncompromising optimist, we also wouldn't be complete without one. winking smiley

Yezzer ...now you are talkin!! Ha & Thanks mate.

Date: October 1, 2019 08:03

Hairball
DiegoGlimmerStones
[www.instagram.com]

Oddly, this sounds like a Springsteen tune...I can actually hear him bellowing and grunting when I listen to it.
Lol, maybe Bruce Is doing a duet with Jagger

Date: October 1, 2019 08:06

DiegoGlimmerStones
Hairball
DiegoGlimmerStones
[www.instagram.com]

Lol, maybe Bruce Is doing a duet with Jagger

Dare I say, it would be better than nothing? confused smiley

winking smiley

Date: October 1, 2019 08:07

Hairball

Hairball
Dare I say, it would be better than nothing? confused smiley

Well, I hope they can finish the album In December approx. cool smiley Joy to the World! winking smileysmileys with beer

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-01 08:14 by DiegoGlimmerStones.

Posted by: stone66 ()
Date: October 1, 2019 10:32

Interesting discussions above about when the "creative" basis of the band began to splinter apart, and it seems to be agreed that Undercover was the last in a long line of something essential -- even though half the album was the Stones sounding like the Stones and the other half was the Stones trying to sound like the 1980s.

Up until that time, the Stones were pretty much a self-contained world unto themselves, despite Mick and Keith's disparate social lives. They filled their time in a productive way; for 20 years, it had been album, tour, album, tour, etc. Even when tours got to be spaced 3 years apart, there really was hardly a year that went by where they weren't busy in some way preparing for the next round of album, tour, etc. Apart from Bill's self-indulgent, but cathartically necessary forays into solo recording, for the most part each member threw their lot into the band rather than throwing the spotlight on themselves.

They get off the road in 1982 from a hugely successful international tour, and then they're right back in the studio to record a follow-up.

But then the wheel comes off the barrow -- they don't tour behind Undercover, which should have happened in 1984-85. Keith surely wanted to tour, the others would've wanted to work, but not Mick. Oh, he wants to work alright, he's got a whole new set of songs ready, but a Stones tour? In one interview he explains why he didn't tour with the Stones for Undercover, referencing the 81-82 tour: "...we'd just done one." So now he's 40, and 3 years between touring is too soon. For the first time, he's looking for life beyond the Rolling Stones.

By the end of the 80s, when the big money starts rolling in, they'll start to realize they don't have to work as hard, or as often, as a unit to maintain their style of living. Indulge in other outside projects, maybe take 4 or 5 years off. Even when the top 10 singles dry up, the albums are still selling OK. And by the 2000s, no one cares even much about those; because now come the golden anniversary tours -- you can just tour with a 40th anniversary compilation. What little creativity is remaining will go toward composing more interesting set lists for the varied types of venues for said anniversary tour.

What made the Stones great in their heyday was how they could rise to a challenge. Having softened up with psychedelia, they now had to prove that they could still be a great rock band once the short-lived psychedelic fad dried up, and they knew that everything would be riding on their next album because all eyes were on them to see of they could make that big, all-important comeback as rock artists -- and so Beggar's Banquet was the result. They had to prove that they could still be a tough, edgy band after all these young upstarts were saying they were too old -- and so Some Girls was the result. If they felt it mattered, they would produce something new, something worthwhile to sum up that moment in time, something people would still want to hear several years later.

When was the last time they produced something essential, so that all these years later 50,000 people in a stadium can get behind, all at once? The last 7 years of touring seems to indicate 1981 (Tattoo You), which in creative fact means 1977 or 1978. In truth, the essential creative period of the Stones occurred over a period of 15 years, not 55 years.

You may get a handful of posters on a message board like this to agree that since 1981 they've released some "nice" material, but never again will 50,000 paying customers in a crowd cheer wildly all at once for something new or relatively recent the way they still do for all those so-called "warhorses".

Because there is no longer that same type of challenge or expectation. Now their biggest challenge is to see how long past the age of 75 they can still play rock and roll. Which alone should be enough. After all, pretty much every other similar type of group that started out when they did can no longer say the same.

Jagger Richard sqezze your brain
Posted by: MAYO ()
Date: September 29, 2019 22:59

It is time they release the new album. Every artist in the same leage make it. Dylan , Neil ,van Morrison,Who and so on. What is the point 15 years making no music i am really tired of vault releases briges to bridges to nowhere i d not care about mote lives and compilations and deluxes that mean nothing but the same. STOP IT ifthis band is not able to do récords better unzipand that was all. Happy to see them playing tthe ceremony but with no new music there is no point. I hope you all take my opinion seriously .

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1939
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home