Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: September 7, 2019 05:52

Hairball
...those turds are the crème de la crème (for lack of a better term)!smiling smiley

And quite fittingly those guys call themselves Gelatin (or Gelitin). The text says they are from my home town, though I must admit I hadn't heard of them before. LOL

Hairball
If the Stones would release turds of this quality, most people would be quite pleased!

Give them another couple of months and we'll see what they come up with ... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 7, 2019 06:09

doitywoik
Hairball
...those turds are the crème de la crème (for lack of a better term)!smiling smiley

And quite fittingly those guys call themselves Gelatin (or Gelitin). The text says they are from my home town, though I must admit I hadn't heard of them before. LOL

Hairball
If the Stones would release turds of this quality, most people would be quite pleased!

Give them another couple of months and we'll see what they come up with ... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

I've never heard of Gelitin either, but have been to that great museum in Rotterdam several times in the past. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately lol) these pieces weren't on exhibit.
Just looked at museum website: Museum Boijmans van Beuningen and it says "Museum closed due renovations"...(aka still cleaning up the turds winking smiley)...seems the exhibit left it's mark in more ways than one!

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 7, 2019 07:55

doitywoik
Hairball

Hairball

In two months, i think they'll still be "in the early stages"!!
[www.loudersound.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-07 07:56 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: ukcal ()
Date: September 7, 2019 10:26

Oh crap take 2!

The Last Waltz 2019 Tour , don was is busy oct - late nov...does this mean no work on the new album this year?

I hope they go glimmer twins and finish without him, as he adds nothing

any ideas who should produce the stones

Date: September 7, 2019 11:49

ukcal
Oh crap take 2!

The Last Waltz 2019 Tour , don was is busy oct - late nov...does this mean no work on the new album this year?

My dream is Don Was replaced by Rick Rubin.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: September 7, 2019 13:12

well If Mick & Keith really were getting on and all "matey" again ...

...all they'd need would be an engineer with a good ear and a thick skin winking smiley

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: September 7, 2019 13:18

KRiffhard
ukcal
Oh crap take 2!

Glyn Johns

Date: September 7, 2019 13:27

mtaylor
KRiffhard
ukcal
Oh crap take 2!

Glyn Johns

Chris Kimsey.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: September 7, 2019 14:41

ukcal

December, per georgelicks.

[iorr.org]

Date: September 7, 2019 15:21

KRiffhard
ukcal
Oh crap take 2!

Obviously. But Stones, Mick are surrounded by Yes-men at this late stage of the game. No way they are going to go through the hassles of challenging themselves anymore. Too bad - with Leavell, and Was and Clifford it's a court of bland sycophants.
they always say, in music: if you're the best guy in the room, you're in the wrong room. As in, surround yourself with people who are better than you; who make you have to step up your game.
Even Chris Kimsey would be more of a challenge nowadays.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: September 7, 2019 16:47

DandelionPowderman
mtaylor
KRiffhard
ukcal
Oh crap take 2!

Glyn Johns

Chris Kimsey.

Jack Douglas (is he still active?)

Date: September 7, 2019 17:17

Hairball
I've never heard of Gelitin either, but have been to that great museum in Rotterdam several times in the past. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately lol) these pieces weren't on exhibit.
Just looked at museum website: Museum Boijmans van Beuningen and it says "Museum closed due renovations"...(aka still cleaning up the turds winking smiley)...seems the exhibit left it's mark in more ways than one!

I wonder whether they sell little replicas of the turds in the museum shop. They would make a cool paper weight, or maybe a plush version for kids, to enhance their collection of Mr Hankey puppets ... winking smiley

KRiffhard
In two months, i think they'll still be "in the early stages"!!
[www.loudersound.com]

As far as that is concerned, our general propblem is that we have no proper system of sub-divisions of the early stages. Therefore we cannot appreciate potential progress. What we would need is something like "Early Stage 1.2.11.3.6" (initial "1" signifying pre-brick wall), "Early Stage 2.4.1" (initial "2" being the first phase post-brickwall) and so forth. It would be very kind of them (and very useful, too) if they adopted some such system in interviews so they as well as we had a better idea where they stand or stood at a given point, and it also would make it easier for us to determine how recent the information is that we glean from the press. Suppose two months ago Mick stated they were in Early Stage 5.4.11.3 and now an interview is being published where he says they just reached Early Stage 3.9.4.4.7 and are confident to reach Early Stage 4 soon, we could immediately tell that the latter interview is actually old news.

KRiffhard
ukcal

I'd also vote for Rick Rubin. If anyone could squeeze a proper new album out of them it's him. But the way I remember (and I think as was also discussed some 200 pages ago), Mick clashed with him over Wandering (Wondering?winking smiley) Spirit. - Here's an old thread about Rubin and Stones:

[iorr.org]

If it were about a quick release and a raw-sounding album they might want to get in touch with Neil Young.

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: September 7, 2019 19:08

Rick Rubin - but won't happen, as Mick and he didn't get along many years ago.

I would prefer ANYONE to Don Was - he ruined every stones record he was involved in.

Date: September 7, 2019 19:16

DandelionPowderman
mtaylor
KRiffhard
ukcal
Oh crap take 2!

Glyn Johns

Chris Kimsey.

thumbs up

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: September 7, 2019 19:20

Jimmy Miller was about 26 when he signed up with the Stones.
Try somebody young to be the producer. Like any business, rock and roll has too many retreads like Do Was just living on their reputations.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 7, 2019 20:05

wonderboy

Try somebody young to be the producer.

They tried this already in 1997 for 'Bridges to Babylon' (The Dust Brothers, Babyface). If they do it again the new Album could sound like Mick's 'Gotta Get a Grip/England Lost' or Madonna's 'Madame X' .... winking smiley

Date: September 7, 2019 20:11

I guess the "problem" with Don Was is that both Mick and Keith seem to get along with him and so he's someone (the only one?) both can agree on.

Date: September 8, 2019 07:55

doitywoik
I guess the "problem" with Don Was is that both Mick and Keith seem to get along with him and so he's someone (the only one?) both can agree on.

I could be a producer too. Just always agree with them and say 'yes'!
Mick’s best solo album was produced by Rick Rubin: a little tension is good for the creative process.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-08 07:58 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: September 8, 2019 09:34

KRiffhard
doitywoik

Mick’s best solo album was produced by Rick Rubin: a little tension is good for the creative process.

I agree and maybe Don Was has not enough a confrontational attitude, yet I believe the good and the bad of stones latest records is 90% to be ascribed to mick and keith.

on wandering spirit, maybe it is so good because it is the only solo album in which mick surrender to the fact that the best thing he can do is to play "stonesy" music in his own way?...

Date: September 8, 2019 11:23

maumau
KRiffhard
doitywoik

I agree and maybe Don Was has not enough a confrontational attitude, yet I believe the good and the bad of stones latest records is 90% to be ascribed to mick and keith.

on wandering spirit, maybe it is so good because it is the only solo album in which mick surrender to the fact that the best thing he can do is to play "stonesy" music in his own way?...

thumbs up

Date: September 8, 2019 12:36

wonderboy
Jimmy Miller was about 26 when he signed up with the Stones.
Try somebody young to be the producer. Like any business, rock and roll has too many retreads like Do Was just living on their reputations.

You saw the pictures of Mick and Carl Falk, right?

I really hope he's not heavily involved with the album..

However, a good young producer with knowledge about their music, their strengths and weaknesses would be exciting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-08 12:38 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: September 8, 2019 13:43

Carl Falk produces pop-music and not rock-music / blues

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-08 13:44 by mtaylor.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 8, 2019 13:55

KRiffhard

For that they don't need any outside help at all....grinning smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 8, 2019 14:23

doitywoik

It could be yeah, but I have the picture that Don Was shares more Keith's vision of Stones music than Mick's. For example, for Mick's taste VOODOO LOUNGE was too "retro" and "Was trying to create his own EXILE" (and not following MIck's more 'experimental' ideas) or what did he say. Then for BRIDGES TO BABYLON he used different co-producers. Then later, according to Keith, Mick wanted to re-record (or do something for) A BIGGER BANG in a more proper studio, but he and Don Was were opposing that and out-voted Mick, as they liked the album's raw feel.

So in the end, if Rick Rubin can be seen as a model for keeping Mick more 'Stonesy', I don't think Don Was is that different at all. But seemingly Mick rates Don's opinion rather high. I mean, if he wouldn't, Don Was would not be there. As a mark of Mick and Keith trusting Don Was knowing how the classic Stones should sound like, he is the trusted man to take of the vaults releases, such as, understanding the soundscape of, say, EXILE or SOME GIRLS eras. People here are pretty hard on Don Was, but I think he has a pretty conventional and conservative idea of how the Stones should sound like, not drastically differing from the ideals of many hardcore fans here.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-08 14:28 by Doxa.

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: September 8, 2019 14:25

Rick Rubin might not only be a no-go for Mick due to the collaboration on "Wandering Spirit", but even more for Keith, therefore.

Date: September 8, 2019 15:22

micawber
Rick Rubin might not only be a no-go for Mick due to the collaboration on "Wandering Spirit", but even more for Keith, therefore.

Indeed. And Rubin's style - not being very much present, and giving "homework", might not be the match made in heaven with the Glimmers, to put it mildly smiling smiley

Date: September 8, 2019 17:26

I remember reading a long piece about Rubin's work with Black Sabbath on "13", which rather resembled a prolongued reviewing procedure (as e.g. in publishing), thus "homework" and constant urging to change or revise things indeed! It possibly wouldn't hurt the Stones to undergo such a procedure - but (me thinks) they would never accept it.

Rubin seems to focus a lot on his "vision" of what a band is really about, and I can well imagine that Mick's and Rubin's visions are quite different (yet Rubin's vision might be closer to Keith's).

I'm not so sure about Chris Kimsey. He did a great job on Tattoo You but was also behind Honk and Grrr.

Posted by: TimDog ()
Date: September 8, 2019 17:26

Dan Auerbach.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 8, 2019 17:35

Doxa
doitywoik

It could be yeah, but I have the picture that Don Was shares more Keith's vision of Stones music than Mick's. For example, for Mick's taste VOODOO LOUNGE was too "retro" and "Was trying to create his own EXILE" (and not following MIck's more 'experimental' ideas) or what did he say. Then for BRIDGES TO BABYLON he used different co-producers. Then later, according to Keith, Mick wanted to re-record (or do something for) A BIGGER BANG in a more proper studio, but he and Don Was were opposing that and out-voted Mick, as they liked the album's raw feel.

So in the end, if Rick Rubin can be seen as a model for keeping Mick more 'Stonesy', I don't think Don Was is that different at all. But seemingly Mick rates Don's opinion rather high. I mean, if he wouldn't, Don Was would not be there. As a mark of Mick and Keith trusting Don Was knowing how the classic Stones should sound like, he is the trusted man to take of the vaults releases, such as, understanding the soundscape of, say, EXILE or SOME GIRLS eras. People here are pretty hard on Don Was, but I think he has a pretty conventional and conservative idea of how the Stones should sound like, not drastically differing from the ideals of many hardcore fans here.

- Doxa

The older people get, the more they resist change. Change is a lot of work, and requires effort, and is risky.

I suspect that's why we haven't seen much in the last 20 years (or more), and are unlikely at this point to get much. The biggest move of late, was to do a blues album...about as safe a move as you could get.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 8, 2019 19:22

doitywoik
I remember reading a long piece about Rubin's work with Black Sabbath on "13", which rather resembled a prolongued reviewing procedure (as e.g. in publishing), thus "homework" and constant urging to change or revise things indeed! It possibly wouldn't hurt the Stones to undergo such a procedure - but (me thinks) they would never accept it.

Rubin seems to focus a lot on his "vision" of what a band is really about, and I can well imagine that Mick's and Rubin's visions are quite different (yet Rubin's vision might be closer to Keith's).

I'm not so sure about Chris Kimsey. He did a great job on Tattoo You but was also behind Honk and Grrr.

No he wasn't.

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1618
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home