Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...510511512513514515516517518519520...LastNext
Current Page: 515 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2022?
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 28, 2022 07:13

April 23 will be 2 years since LIAGT was released.

Way past time for a new single yet alone LP.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: March 28, 2022 15:30

I must admit I often feel like they sometimes thought of ABB as the last album. From the title to the fact that it was the last world tour, and the way it was sooo different with the seats onstage and what not. It's as if they were trying to cash in one last time on it all..........go out with a bang. Looking back, I think it's one of their weaker album titles, TBH. The album is decent enough, and I absolutely loved it at the time it came out. I just sometimes wonder if maybe they thought that was the last one and hence the reason why no contract for anymore new records.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 28, 2022 15:57

VoodooLounge13
I must admit I often feel like they sometimes thought of ABB as the last album. From the title to the fact that it was the last world tour, and the way it was sooo different with the seats onstage and what not. It's as if they were trying to cash in one last time on it all..........go out with a bang. Looking back, I think it's one of their weaker album titles, TBH. The album is decent enough, and I absolutely loved it at the time it came out. I just sometimes wonder if maybe they thought that was the last one and hence the reason why no contract for anymore new records.

Yeah, in a way the whole A BIGGER BANG package: an album and a huge Cohlian tour was an end of an era kind of thing, of an era that started in 1989 with a similar STEEL WHEELS package. I also think that after it they didn't have much thoughts about the future (probably like always, but that time more seriously). Since then we have had 'open the vaults' or 'taking care of the legacy' kind of retrospect releases and small tours based on playing basically their greatest hits (more than ever). That of them even touring from 2012 on wasn't that kind of obvious thing (thinking of Keith's 'tell it all' book and him retiring, etc). Seemingly the idea of making a new album didn't occur to them until 2015.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-28 15:59 by Doxa.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: March 28, 2022 16:00

Rockman

i was told there would be cookies

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 28, 2022 16:04

Nikkei
Rockman

i was told there would be cookies

That would explain the seeming collectively low blood sugar.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 28, 2022 16:15

Doxa
VoodooLounge13

Yeah, in a way the whole A BIGGER BANG package: an album and a huge Cohlian tour was an end of an era kind of thing, of an era that started in 1989 with a similar STEEL WHEELS package. I also think that after it they didn't have much thoughts about the future (probably like always, but that time more seriously). Since then we have had 'open the vaults' or 'taking care of the legacy' kind of retrospect releases and small tours based on playing basically their greatest hits (more than ever). That of them even touring from 2012 on wasn't that kind of obvious thing (thinking of Keith's 'tell it all' book and him retiring, etc). Seemingly the idea of making a new album didn't occur to them until 2015.

- Doxa

I'm not sure they ever think something is the last time they'll ever do it. They certainly didn't think the 2019 tour was their last with Charlie. They've been fending off 'Is this the last time?' for tours since 1965.

I think things just sort of happen to them. They went 7 years without touring in the 80s, but did put out a couple low level albums during that period. From late 2006 through late 2012 it was almost complete radio silence. None of them did much high profile work then. The looming 50th anniversary snapped them out of it. Keith was in real bad shape guitar playing wise. (And the past decade of touring has only brought him back to a point).

Obviously they're not into working in the studio together much any longer. Maybe most of the new stuff they create sounds like crap to them. Or if it can't be done in a couple days, like Blue and Lonesome, they just don't care. A Bigger Bang just might be their last release. (Which I know isn't true. If the band did split for good we would eventually get some of those cuts.) Although ABB is not a great, or particularly memorable album, it was made by men in their early 60s. Now we expect at least the same level from men staring 80 in the face.

Bless them. For all they've given.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: March 28, 2022 16:37

To me, I think the problem is everyone - or most people - expect every album to be another Exile or SF, instead of just letting that particular album stand on its own merit for what it is. Now, there are some albums that to me are just complete duds, ER & U come to mind, and so I choose not to revisit those often. But I don't go trying to compare modern output to past greatness. Each release is its own unique blessing and in that regard, I'm not really ever disappointed with a new album.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: March 28, 2022 21:50

VoodooLounge13
To me, I think the problem is everyone - or most people - expect every album to be another Exile or SF, instead of just letting that particular album stand on its own merit for what it is.

it looks like the first people affected most by that problem are mick and keith, must be some kind of disease that freeze-frames you or makes you hit your head on a wall

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-28 21:51 by maumau.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: March 28, 2022 22:16

24FPS
Doxa
VoodooLounge13

- Doxa

I'm not sure they ever think something is the last time they'll ever do it. They certainly didn't think the 2019 tour was their last with Charlie. They've been fending off 'Is this the last time?' for tours since 1965.

I think things just sort of happen to them. They went 7 years without touring in the 80s, but did put out a couple low level albums during that period. From late 2006 through late 2012 it was almost complete radio silence. None of them did much high profile work then. The looming 50th anniversary snapped them out of it. Keith was in real bad shape guitar playing wise. (And the past decade of touring has only brought him back to a point).

Obviously they're not into working in the studio together much any longer. Maybe most of the new stuff they create sounds like crap to them. Or if it can't be done in a couple days, like Blue and Lonesome, they just don't care. A Bigger Bang just might be their last release. (Which I know isn't true. If the band did split for good we would eventually get some of those cuts.) Although ABB is not a great, or particularly memorable album, it was made by men in their early 60s. Now we expect at least the same level from men staring 80 in the face.

Bless them. For all they've given.
I agree with you in general, however I believe that in Mick's mind the ABB tour was the ultimate tour.
I believe this belief was due to Keith's physical condition and Ronnie's. Both were in bad shape!
Then Ronnie's detox restored hope and then Keith recovered anyway.

Posted by: kkhoranstoned ()
Date: March 28, 2022 22:42

I'm still holding out for an album..product .over 20 songs
Which can cover country rnb
Rock..ballads
A song just a vocal and acoustic guitar
I think we like the song a little less produced
I like the song dirty works
Is it not a rocker to be played loud
Yes everything has a place
I think we will get an album

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 28, 2022 23:13

...itll happen ... just wait

ROCKMAN

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 29, 2022 04:46

Rockman
...itll happen ... just wait

OK, now that's easy...pretty much perfected it!

Date: March 29, 2022 07:08

It seems possibly realistic that they could release a single sometime in July to mark the 60th.

As in happenstance.

Perhaps the idea of an album celebrating such a thing could be seen as silly. The 60th tour... just another tour, really.

Date: March 29, 2022 22:26

Mick's latest 'update' how the new album is doing (from The Guardian today):

He and Richards have even been working on new material. “Yeah, we’ve been doing some banging around. It’s been fun.”

grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-29 22:27 by Doxa.

Date: March 29, 2022 22:50

GasLightStreet
It seems possibly realistic that they could release a single sometime in July to mark the 60th.

As in happenstance.

Perhaps the idea of an album celebrating such a thing could be seen as silly. The 60th tour... just another tour, really.

Never thought that way, but yeah, isn't the idea of making an album for the sake of birthday sounds like, you know, like making a Christmas album or something. THE ROLLING STONES CELEBRATES THEIR 60TH ANNIVERSARY BY RELEASING THEIR FIRST ALBUM OF ORIGINALS FOR 17 YEARS. Sounds like something good old Andrew Oldham might have come up with... (Or like the tour name simply: SIXTY). But then again, didn't that Adele lady name all her albums based on her age?

- Doxa

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 30, 2022 01:11

They do it their way ......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 30, 2022 01:20

Doxa
Mick's latest 'update' how the new album is doing (from The Guardian today):

He and Richards have even been working on new material. “Yeah, we’ve been doing some banging around. It’s been fun.”

grinning smiley

- Doxa

Yeah, so as expected after a decade of the same old stuff, nothing serious, "fun" in the sun and...a convenient answer for any questions the press may have, well why not and what's anyone going to do about it anyway ?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: March 30, 2022 08:40

Doxa
GasLightStreet

As in happenstance.

Never thought that way, but yeah, isn't the idea of making an album for the sake of birthday sounds like, you know, like making a Christmas album or something. THE ROLLING STONES CELEBRATES THEIR 60TH ANNIVERSARY BY RELEASING THEIR FIRST ALBUM OF ORIGINALS FOR 17 YEARS. Sounds like something good old Andrew Oldham might have come up with... (Or like the tour name simply: SIXTY). But then again, didn't that Adele lady name all her albums based on her age?

- Doxa

The age of what inspired the albums, not how old she was when released, specifically.

If a new Stones LP comes out it will be hyped as THEIR FIRST SINCE 2005 blah blah blah. There's no escaping that. If it does, which probably won't be until 2024 at this point, well... it will be their last LP of new material, according to Mick, anyway.

Date: March 30, 2022 08:47

VoodooLounge13
To me, I think the problem is everyone - or most people - expect every album to be another Exile or SF, instead of just letting that particular album stand on its own merit for what it is. Now, there are some albums that to me are just complete duds, ER & U come to mind, and so I choose not to revisit those often. But I don't go trying to compare modern output to past greatness. Each release is its own unique blessing and in that regard, I'm not really ever disappointed with a new album.

Look at how they have played whatever from 1973-1983. Partly because they've been around long enough to go, Oh we actually do like (whatever here), and we've gotten some tracks from GHS, IORR, BAB, ER, TY and U that, 3 of those albums not having had tours, they'd never played prior to, say, She Was Hot, or Emotional Rescue, or Silver Train when they've done other tracks from those albums (1989 and 2002-03) are good examples) or some they did a long time ago, like If You Can't Rock Me, Hot Stuff or Crazy Mama.

Yet with newer LPs, they've basically ignored them. You Got Me Rocking and Out Of Control being the exceptions, possibly the rarest track from 1986 onward since 2012 is Sad Sad Sad.

1986 onward albums sold plenty well enough yet they barely notice them.

Date: March 30, 2022 10:51

GasLightStreet

As in happenstance.

That's more realistic, and the way they've been doing things for the past decade. Doom & Gloom, Ghost Town, something to add to the setlist for a couple gigs. I'm not expecting a new album, or for it to amount to much. At least in terms of the past. I never listen to Voodoo/Bridge/Bang. A couple good songs on each, but nothing compared to their Golden Era. It would take a miracle for the sound to be as good as it was.

At this point I like the Blue and Lonesome model. Bring in a ringer for a couple cuts, ala Eric Clapton. Bring in talented musicians to add spice to a cut or two. Not an end of career 'Duets' deal. Maybe Steve knows a good rock bass player. There's nothing written in stone (no pun intended) that says every Rolling Stones song has to sound like something from their past. Charlie's passing, tragic as it is, is also an opportunity to go for something different.

Date: March 30, 2022 10:51

GasLightStreet

As in happenstance.

That's more realistic, and the way they've been doing things for the past decade. Doom & Gloom, Ghost Town, something to add to the setlist for a couple gigs. I'm not expecting a new album, or for it to amount to much. At least in terms of the past. I never listen to Voodoo/Bridge/Bang. A couple good songs on each, but nothing compared to their Golden Era. It would take a miracle for the sound to be as good as it was.

At this point I like the Blue and Lonesome model. Bring in a ringer for a couple cuts, ala Eric Clapton. Bring in talented musicians to add spice to a cut or two. Not an end of career 'Duets' deal. Maybe Steve knows a good rock bass player. There's nothing written in stone (no pun intended) that says every Rolling Stones song has to sound like something from their past. Charlie's passing, tragic as it is, is also an opportunity to go for something different.

Date: March 31, 2022 05:10

24FPS
GasLightStreet

As in happenstance.

When's the last time they did something as interesting as their Golden Era?

1978-1981.

At least critically.

People forget that bands are humans. The 1989 Stones were not the 1971-73 Stones. And the 2005 Stones were not... etc.

Possibly the biggest cultural issue with regard to their discography, unlike Led Zeppelin, The Doors, The Beatles, is that they've kept going. In the mean time, 3 something million people keep showing up for their tours without a new (original) album for what will be one decade in the fall of this year if nothing is released prior to or on September 6th.

As much as any of us may like whatever however from 1983 onward, Mixed Emotions is not Honky Tonk Women. Love Is Strong is now Brown Sugar. Anybody Seen My Baby is not Miss You. Rough Justice is not Start Me Up. Even the nod towards Start Me Up, Don't Stop, is not Start Me Up. Already Over Me is not Angie. Almost Hear You Sigh is not Beast Of Burden.

On and on and on, whatever newer song compared to older hits.

If they don't release a single on July 12, which is a Tuesday this year, the old record release day, perhaps that week or before August - if they're going to bother to acknowledge such a thing. At the moment, it's not looking like they will acknowledge it with a record of some kind - a new single, EP or LP.

Date: March 31, 2022 06:49

GasLightStreet
24FPS
GasLightStreet

As in happenstance.

When's the last time they did something as interesting as their Golden Era?

1978-1981.

At least critically.

People forget that bands are humans. The 1989 Stones were not the 1971-73 Stones. And the 2005 Stones were not... etc.

Possibly the biggest cultural issue with regard to their discography, unlike Led Zeppelin, The Doors, The Beatles, is that they've kept going. In the mean time, 3 something million people keep showing up for their tours without a new (original) album for what will be one decade in the fall of this year if nothing is released prior to or on September 6th.

As much as any of us may like whatever however from 1983 onward, Mixed Emotions is not Honky Tonk Women. Love Is Strong is now Brown Sugar. Anybody Seen My Baby is not Miss You. Rough Justice is not Start Me Up. Even the nod towards Start Me Up, Don't Stop, is not Start Me Up. Already Over Me is not Angie. Almost Hear You Sigh is not Beast Of Burden.

On and on and on, whatever newer song compared to older hits.

If they don't release a single on July 12, which is a Tuesday this year, the old record release day, perhaps that week or before August - if they're going to bother to acknowledge such a thing. At the moment, it's not looking like they will acknowledge it with a record of some kind - a new single, EP or LP.

Their Golden Era ended in 1989. Steel Wheels was not a great album, but miles above Undercover and Dirty Work. Most everything after was a weak echo of earlier triumphs. Steel Wheels didn't have a strong single, but it was coherent and had a lot of B-Plus songs.

Posted by: Barkerboy2 ()
Date: March 31, 2022 11:19

Voodoo Lounge and Bridges To Babylon are both amazing albums. Even now confused smiley

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: March 31, 2022 11:38

When one talks of 'Golden Era's', I do wonder how we measure this: what does it even mean, exactly? Their 'greatest' run was from the Jumpin' Jack Flash single, through to Exile on Main Street, with a slight dip thereafter. Some Girls is hailed as a 'classic', then it's more dips once again. It's all very difficult to judge and summarise. Whilst we can view things in a general fashion, music is subjective.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 31, 2022 12:01

I guess the "golden era" is defined by the four great albums released between 1968 and 1972. For some the golden era is their early years though, 1964-1967. It depends.
Maybe we should call the 1973-1981 period the silver era then?

Date: March 31, 2022 12:02

Big Al
When one talks of 'Golden Era's', I do wonder how we measure this: what does it even mean, exactly? Their 'greatest' run was from the Jumpin' Jack Flash single, through to Exile on Main Street, with a slight dip thereafter. Some Girls is hailed as a 'classic', then it's more dips once again. It's all very difficult to judge and summarise. Whilst we can view things in a general fashion, music is subjective.

Many would say that the 60s was their "golden era", too, so there we go... smiling smiley

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: March 31, 2022 14:41

Barkerboy2
Voodoo Lounge and Bridges To Babylon are both amazing albums. Even now confused smiley

I find a heap to enjoy on both. I agree. They’ve got some fantastic tracks. And a couple of duds. But I’d rather have the albums, than not. And that’s the test. I’d MUCH rather have them than not.

Rod

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: March 31, 2022 15:32

DandelionPowderman
Big Al

Many would say that the 60s was their "golden era", too, so there we go... smiling smiley

Well, it’d be hard to argue with that, truthfully: certainly, the 60’s-era is the most iconic and classic. They were neck-and-neck with the Beatles at spells, ands they’re popularity amongst teenage boys and girls around the globe was unwavering. It was the period when they were part of ‘the scene’ and had the run of hit-singles that’d go in to cement their place in popular culture: The Last Time, (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction, Paint it, Black, and so forth. What I stated to be the ‘Golden-Era’ in my initial post is, really, with one eye firmly fixed on the ‘critical’ That run from 1968-’72 in, in my opinion, inarguably their peak in terms of album acclaim. In terms of the wider picture, and when summarising the 60-year career as a whole, then, I would probably have to concur that those 60’s years, The ‘Brian’ era, is, perhaps, their true and genuine ‘Golden-Era’ When you think of how alive, ground-breaking, and immensely meaningful they were to their legions of pop-loving fans, it’s hard to dispute.

Posted by: Barkerboy2 ()
Date: March 31, 2022 17:57

It's funny, but to me, the 90s was a real golden era. I think that is due to my age and the time at which I got into the band though, so I guess we are all different smiling smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...510511512513514515516517518519520...LastNext
Current Page: 515 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1875
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home