Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...441442443444445446447448449450451...LastNext
Current Page: 446 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2020?
Posted by: MichaelLassen ()
Date: March 13, 2020 15:32

If only there would be some way where in good health, Mick and Keith would be in 2 weeks of quarantine together, and have nothing better to do than to write and record! :-)

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: March 13, 2020 20:22

MichaelLassen
If only there would be some way where in good health, Mick and Keith would be in 2 weeks of quarantine together, and have nothing better to do than to write and record! :-)

Would be the worst nightmare for Mick!!

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: March 13, 2020 21:13

With today's online infrastructure they don't have to be literally together in quarantine. They could even work on the album if each Stone or semi/wannabe-Stone is in a different place.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: March 13, 2020 21:21

pls delete, already posted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-13 21:21 by Topi.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 13, 2020 21:23

….well actually … it is a good time ta hold one's breath …..

ROCKMAN

Date: March 14, 2020 01:51

Rockman

For sure it's safer, you never know what comes in by the gob once you give your lungs a go in times like these ...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 14, 2020 02:03

Rockman

I wouldn't hold my breath in the hope that people will do that.

Date: March 14, 2020 02:21

…. what about those you talk thru their arse treacle ?????

ROCKMAN

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: March 14, 2020 09:35

April, 2013
Mick: "It would be nice to have a new album, but people don't like the new album when you play it on stage (laughs). They glumly look at you. OK, it will be over in a minute. It's not a good excuse, but it's the truth and has to be said.
I have a lot of songs and I’d love to do some more recording with the band. But we’re going to get through the tour first and then see what happens... I'm working all the time, doing songs and writing. I hope there will be another Stones album. It would be good if there was"

July, 2013:

Mick: "I'm always writing new songs so hopefully we'll do new songs one of these days soon"

September, 2013:

Mick: "I’ve been doing some songwriting - I write all the time..."

December, 2013:
Mick: I write songs all the time. Actually, I was just finishing doing some yesterday"

March/April 2015:
Mick: "I don't know. It would be very nice and I've got a lot of new songs and songs I've written over the last couple of years. I've done really good demos for all of them, which I would love to record"

October, 2016:
Mick: "I know it's a long time. I don't really know why. I guess we're touring a lot and nobody was that keen - I'm including myself in all this - in going in the studio. We just didn't do it... When I did Doom and Gloom, I did demos for lots of others. I just carried on doing that, but we've never gone in the studio all together.

November, 2016
Mick: "(We'll finish the album) but I don't know when, because you want it to be really good and everything... I hope it's gonna be a very eclectic album. I hope some of it's gonna be recognizable Stones and some of it's gonna be some Stones you never heard before, maybe... I was working on it quite recently. We've got a long way to go, but I think it sounds really great and I'm looking forward to carrying on with that. I hope (next year)... I think it would be nice to do new songs and go in a new direction with them. Maybe not quite as much harmonica!"

Don Was: "Those new songs we worked on? To be honest with you, we don't really have a handle on it yet. The clay is on the table, but it doesn't look like President Lincoln yet! I will say that for this new album, Mick has played me probably 40 songs that he has been working on, and they really run the gamut"

Keith: “I want to see the fallout from [BLUE AND LONESOME] before I decide whether I want to record...Mick‘s songs or whether he wants to sit down with me and record some songs together. That‘s my thing. That‘s my ball there.“

February, 2017
Mick: "I'm working on new songs now"

July, 2017
Mick: "We've been in the studio recording. All new songs. We've been working on that, and we'll keep working on it until we get it right"

November, 2017
Mick: "It’s going good. Just this afternoon I’m going to listen to some of the multi-tracks of that and we’ve done a lot of work on it... I haven't heard it for a while. I'm going to pick out the ones I really like, and Keith will be listening to it, too... But you know there’s ways to go but we’re still working on it. It sounds good, it sounds really good"

February, 2018:
Charlie: "When we did the blues album Blue and Lonesome, that was in the middle of the second lot of sessions for the album. We’ve done another lot since then. So we’ve done three or four sets of sessions. But I don’t write the songs so I don’t have the final say. Once we’ve played them I’m not interested really (laughs). But Mick has to live with them and put his voice on them. Keith will sit for hours listening. I don’t know where we are with them to be honest. Every time we go in to the studio I think, Well that was the one. But it’s whether they’re happy with it and I don’t know if they are yet"

March, 2018
Keith: It will happen, don’t worry about it’ – but it’s in the early stages. We have some stuff down which is very interesting. It’s more difficult for us to write together the further apart we are, but it also has its benefits in that we come back to it from a different angle.”

August, 2018
Joyce Smith (RS manager):
They are certainly hoping to create some new music, maybe looking at some other genres. They’re creative people. They’re in a little bit of a holiday period at the minute, but they hope to be back in the studio soon, watch this space...The schedule is being prepared about where we’re going to be over the next 12 months, in terms of some studio work, maybe some live plans or other projects that are coming through the door. Absolutely, yes (we will hear from the Rolling Stones in the next twelve months)"

December, 2018:
"Mick: Before we go on tour next year, we’ll do some more work on that. We’ll see how that goes. I think it’s a shame we haven’t released more new music. So, I would hope we’re going to release some music. We do have a huge catalog.
(Writing new songs is) going good. I’ve got lots of stuff. I’m doing some more writing this week. And I’m always, like, messing around. I enjoy the writing process a lot. I mean, you always think the last thing you wrote is really wonderful, and sometimes they’re really not (laughs). But it’s really fun doing it, and it’s really enjoyable doing new things"

Ron: (W)e’ve been hacking songs into shape. I’m gonna go off to Paris and see Mick next week and see what his latest thoughts are after he’s got together with Keith. It’s an ongoing thing of comparing what is on the cooker at the moment and some ideas we’ve had for years that we may embellish upon. It’s quite interesting building this new album. You can’t say there’s a title for it. The tracks haven’t actually been chosen yet.

January, 2019:
Ron: It's gradually moving forward... The thing is the songs are taking their own shape. We're trying to get the Jagger/Richards thing to flow normally again (laughs). And so whatever they're doing, let them resume and we'll carry on. Me and Charlie will get our call-up papers and say OK we're ready, let's go and cut the songs.
Keith: Sometimes it’s not as much writing as listening to what’s been written and figuring it out, and honing and all kinds of stuff... (laughs) It’s very boring. It’s like a carpentry shop.

April, 2019
Don Was: I can’t really describe the album because we haven’t made the choices yet. Keith and Mick have been writing together, it’s all original material and it’s really good.

July, 2019:
Don Was: We probably have 40 (tracks), and depending on the 10 we choose to finish, the character of the album will be determined. Right now it can go any way. There's some really good stuff in there, and there's a sense that making a good album is not good enough, it's got to be great.

December, 2019
Ron: "The new album is like a puzzle," "We still have to put the missing pieces together. We hope to release it in 2020 and then continue our world tour.”

February,2020:
Ron: That’s ongoing. We are very happy with the way studio work’s coming on, but, as you know, the Stones never make an album overnight. But aside from our busy schedule touring, we’re just fitting little studio visits in and it’s shaping up nicely... (It'll be) a proper new studio album.

March, 2020:
Mick: Don’t hold your breath! I’ve been writing a lot, and I’ve done a load of demos and the Stones have recorded some really nice things. But we haven’t finished the album yet, so I’ve got no date for that.”

Wanted, someone who can understand what really happened!!!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-14 12:06 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 14, 2020 14:36

Rockman
…. what about those you talk thru their arse treacle ?????

Only time to consider holding one's breath.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 14, 2020 18:49

KRiffhard

For seven years (really nine years since he's been saying it since 2011), Mick's been saying he has a bunch of songs that he's demoed and continues to putter around with. Some are traditional, some are modern, some are experimental. Mick thinks these 40 new songs sound great. He really likes working on them. He hopes the band will record them. He thinks what they have recorded sounds nice. He's frustrated the album is taking so long. He has stressed for nine years that HE is the one who writes all the time, that HE is the one who records all the time.

Keith in that same period has described the process of working on the songs as boring. He's said some of them "ain't Stones songs" and told Mick to put them out as a solo record. He's said he hoped BLUE AND LONESOME's reception would change Mick's mind about working on songs with him. He said he doesn't know if he wants to work on 40 songs of Mick and stated quantity doesn't mean quality. He's said he has three dynamite riffs. He hasn't said anything about writing anything else or finishing anything else.

Ronnie and Don Was spoke of finishing up older songs. Ever the diplomats, Ronnie like Don Was agree with Mick it all sounds good and agree with Keith that it still isn't finished. This hasn't changed. Ronnie's most revealing remark is "let them get their Jagger-Richards thing together."

Now add Matt Clifford publisher guaranteeing him credit on songs he writes for the Stones.

I'll likely be crucified for fake news or speculating, but I'd say it all sounds pretty obvious to me. There's no wall to hit. Mick writes on his own (and with Matt). Keith doesn't really care for Mick's songs. The result is painfully slow progress on a new album.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: March 14, 2020 19:08

Rocky Dijon
KRiffhard

For seven years (really nine years since he's been saying it since 2011), Mick's been saying he has a bunch of songs that he's demoed and continues to putter around with. Some are traditional, some are modern, some are experimental. Mick thinks these 40 new songs sound great. He really likes working on them. He hopes the band will record them. He thinks what they have recorded sounds nice. He's frustrated the album is taking so long. He has stressed for nine years that HE is the one who writes all the time, that HE is the one who records all the time.

Keith in that same period has described the process of working on the songs as boring. He's said some of them "ain't Stones songs" and told Mick to put them out as a solo record. He's said he hoped BLUE AND LONESOME's reception would change Mick's mind about working on songs with him. He said he doesn't know if he wants to work on 40 songs of Mick and stated quantity doesn't mean quality. He's said he has three dynamite riffs. He hasn't said anything about writing anything else or finishing anything else.

Ronnie and Don Was spoke of finishing up older songs. Ever the diplomats, Ronnie like Don Was agree with Mick it all sounds good and agree with Keith that it still isn't finished. This hasn't changed. Ronnie's most revealing remark is "let them get their Jagger-Richards thing together."

Now add Matt Clifford publisher guaranteeing him credit on songs he writes for the Stones.

I'll likely be crucified for fake news or speculating, but I'd say it all sounds pretty obvious to me. There's no wall to hit. Mick writes on his own (and with Matt). Keith doesn't really care for Mick's songs. The result is painfully slow progress on a new album.

Sounds like a pretty accurate conclusion. Maybe add that Mick is obviously not convinced that Keith's preferred way (writing songs together) would lead to any better results than what they achieved with ABB.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 14, 2020 19:15

KRiffhard

April, 2013
Mick: "It would be nice to have a new album, but people don't like the new album when you play it on stage (laughs). They glumly look at you. OK, it will be over in a minute. It's not a good excuse, but it's the truth and has to be said.
I have a lot of songs and I’d love to do some more recording with the band. But we’re going to get through the tour first and then see what happens... I'm working all the time, doing songs and writing. I hope there will be another Stones album. It would be good if there was"

July, 2013:

Mick: "I'm always writing new songs so hopefully we'll do new songs one of these days soon"

September, 2013:

Mick: "I’ve been doing some songwriting - I write all the time..."

December, 2013:
Mick: I write songs all the time. Actually, I was just finishing doing some yesterday"

March/April 2015:
Mick: "I don't know. It would be very nice and I've got a lot of new songs and songs I've written over the last couple of years. I've done really good demos for all of them, which I would love to record"

October, 2016:
Mick: "I know it's a long time. I don't really know why. I guess we're touring a lot and nobody was that keen - I'm including myself in all this - in going in the studio. We just didn't do it... When I did Doom and Gloom, I did demos for lots of others. I just carried on doing that, but we've never gone in the studio all together.

November, 2016
Mick: "(We'll finish the album) but I don't know when, because you want it to be really good and everything... I hope it's gonna be a very eclectic album. I hope some of it's gonna be recognizable Stones and some of it's gonna be some Stones you never heard before, maybe... I was working on it quite recently. We've got a long way to go, but I think it sounds really great and I'm looking forward to carrying on with that. I hope (next year)... I think it would be nice to do new songs and go in a new direction with them. Maybe not quite as much harmonica!"

Don Was: "Those new songs we worked on? To be honest with you, we don't really have a handle on it yet. The clay is on the table, but it doesn't look like President Lincoln yet! I will say that for this new album, Mick has played me probably 40 songs that he has been working on, and they really run the gamut"

Keith: “I want to see the fallout from [BLUE AND LONESOME] before I decide whether I want to record...Mick‘s songs or whether he wants to sit down with me and record some songs together. That‘s my thing. That‘s my ball there.“

February, 2017
Mick: "I'm working on new songs now"

July, 2017
Mick: "We've been in the studio recording. All new songs. We've been working on that, and we'll keep working on it until we get it right"

November, 2017
Mick: "It’s going good. Just this afternoon I’m going to listen to some of the multi-tracks of that and we’ve done a lot of work on it... I haven't heard it for a while. I'm going to pick out the ones I really like, and Keith will be listening to it, too... But you know there’s ways to go but we’re still working on it. It sounds good, it sounds really good"

February, 2018:
Charlie: "When we did the blues album Blue and Lonesome, that was in the middle of the second lot of sessions for the album. We’ve done another lot since then. So we’ve done three or four sets of sessions. But I don’t write the songs so I don’t have the final say. Once we’ve played them I’m not interested really (laughs). But Mick has to live with them and put his voice on them. Keith will sit for hours listening. I don’t know where we are with them to be honest. Every time we go in to the studio I think, Well that was the one. But it’s whether they’re happy with it and I don’t know if they are yet"

March, 2018
Keith: It will happen, don’t worry about it’ – but it’s in the early stages. We have some stuff down which is very interesting. It’s more difficult for us to write together the further apart we are, but it also has its benefits in that we come back to it from a different angle.”

August, 2018
Joyce Smith (RS manager):
They are certainly hoping to create some new music, maybe looking at some other genres. They’re creative people. They’re in a little bit of a holiday period at the minute, but they hope to be back in the studio soon, watch this space...The schedule is being prepared about where we’re going to be over the next 12 months, in terms of some studio work, maybe some live plans or other projects that are coming through the door. Absolutely, yes (we will hear from the Rolling Stones in the next twelve months)"

December, 2018:
"Mick: Before we go on tour next year, we’ll do some more work on that. We’ll see how that goes. I think it’s a shame we haven’t released more new music. So, I would hope we’re going to release some music. We do have a huge catalog.
(Writing new songs is) going good. I’ve got lots of stuff. I’m doing some more writing this week. And I’m always, like, messing around. I enjoy the writing process a lot. I mean, you always think the last thing you wrote is really wonderful, and sometimes they’re really not (laughs). But it’s really fun doing it, and it’s really enjoyable doing new things"

Ron: (W)e’ve been hacking songs into shape. I’m gonna go off to Paris and see Mick next week and see what his latest thoughts are after he’s got together with Keith. It’s an ongoing thing of comparing what is on the cooker at the moment and some ideas we’ve had for years that we may embellish upon. It’s quite interesting building this new album. You can’t say there’s a title for it. The tracks haven’t actually been chosen yet.

January, 2019:
Ron: It's gradually moving forward... The thing is the songs are taking their own shape. We're trying to get the Jagger/Richards thing to flow normally again (laughs). And so whatever they're doing, let them resume and we'll carry on. Me and Charlie will get our call-up papers and say OK we're ready, let's go and cut the songs.
Keith: Sometimes it’s not as much writing as listening to what’s been written and figuring it out, and honing and all kinds of stuff... (laughs) It’s very boring. It’s like a carpentry shop.

April, 2019
Don Was: I can’t really describe the album because we haven’t made the choices yet. Keith and Mick have been writing together, it’s all original material and it’s really good.

July, 2019:
Don Was: We probably have 40 (tracks), and depending on the 10 we choose to finish, the character of the album will be determined. Right now it can go any way. There's some really good stuff in there, and there's a sense that making a good album is not good enough, it's got to be great.

December, 2019
Ron: "The new album is like a puzzle," "We still have to put the missing pieces together. We hope to release it in 2020 and then continue our world tour.”

February,2020:
Ron: That’s ongoing. We are very happy with the way studio work’s coming on, but, as you know, the Stones never make an album overnight. But aside from our busy schedule touring, we’re just fitting little studio visits in and it’s shaping up nicely... (It'll be) a proper new studio album.

March, 2020:
Mick: Don’t hold your breath! I’ve been writing a lot, and I’ve done a load of demos and the Stones have recorded some really nice things. But we haven’t finished the album yet, so I’ve got no date for that.”

thumbs up

Nice compilation and summation of the entire soap opera seven years and counting...nearly 15 years really if we consider A Bigger Bang being the last album of originals.
Any attempt to rationalize and/or explain the long and endless process seems futile at this point, and is almost as boring to read as the waiting itself.
If you look and squint at all the quotes compiled above, it looks like an enormous brick wall that's been hit very hard several times - at least it does on my laptop screen.

Looking forward to the Goats Head Soup reissue. thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-14 19:16 by Hairball.

Date: March 14, 2020 19:20

It was listening through loads of songs that Keith thought was boring. And it was Pete Townshend who said that Mick was frustrated it took so long to come up with new material.

It doesn't alter the snail-ish progress in any way, but I believe these were the correct words - and they have a somewhat different meaningsmiling smiley

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: March 14, 2020 20:57

Yeah DP, Mick's on fire when Keith's producing the goods and Jagger himself can bounce off on Keith's creativity, but when Keith no longer plays ball with Mick and sort of sections him out, it leaves Mick vunerable and wanting creatively. Basically without Keith Mick is just another song writer, not Jagger Richards.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: March 14, 2020 22:30

I may use almost the exact words that I have used before.

Myself I belong to a possibly very small minority on this forum that would very much have liked to obtain the apparently eclectic albums REJECTS vol 1, REJECTS vol 2 and REJECTS vol 3. Perhaps as much as (or even more than) the album that we have awaited so long to come out of all this, but that does not seem to materialize.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-14 22:38 by Witness.

Date: March 14, 2020 23:04

REJECTS vol 1, REJECTS vol 2 and REJECTS vol 3...

Sounds like something Mick could (and should) put together on his own as a solo project, and not sure what's stopping him at this point considering he's so creative and in his words he writes all the time.
He could even make it a Deluxe Reject Box Set with bonus rejects, extended rejects, and multiple remix rejects ala England Lost for those who desire them.

Date: March 14, 2020 23:13

Hairball
Any attempt to rationalize and/or explain the long and endless process seems futile at this point, and is almost as boring to read as the waiting itself.

So, um, the entire thread is long and endless and futile and boring, but you'll still keep posting in it? Well, at least you're as addicted as the rest of us.

Date: March 14, 2020 23:21

DandelionPowderman
It was listening through loads of songs that Keith thought was boring. And it was Pete Townshend who said that Mick was frustrated it took so long to come up with new material.

It doesn't alter the snail-ish progress in any way, but I believe these were the correct words - and they have a somewhat different meaningsmiling smiley

Keith said, it's not so much about writing as "listening to what's been written, figuring it out, and honing it" and likened it to "carpentry shop." He called the process "very boring." That means the process of building the tracks, not just listening to various mixes.

And yes, Mick's close friend and neighbor Pete Townshend said Mick told him he was frustrated the process was taking so long. I don't really see a difference on Pete saying Mick told him or Mick saying the same thing.

Date: March 14, 2020 23:28

Rocky Dijon
Hairball

So, um, the entire thread is long and endless and futile and boring, but you'll still keep posting in it? Well, at least you're as addicted as the rest of us.

um...I did say "at this point" and was referring to the album making process itself (not the thread)...but not sure why you're concerned with how I feel.
Besides, pretty sure I've read you saying you're leaving here because it takes up so much of your time, yet your still here?

Date: March 14, 2020 23:47

Hairball

Sounds like something Mick could (and should) put together on his own as a solo project, and not sure what's stopping him at this point considering he's so creative and in his words he writes all the time.
He could even make it a Deluxe Reject Box Set with bonus rejects, extended rejects, and multiple remix rejects ala England Lost for those who desire them.

However, we do not know how the other 38 songs out of the said 40 songs are like from having heard different versions of two songs.smiling bouncing smiley

Date: March 14, 2020 23:52

Rocky Dijon
DandelionPowderman

Keith said, it's not so much about writing as "listening to what's been written, figuring it out, and honing it" and likened it to "carpentry shop." He called the process "very boring." That means the process of building the tracks, not just listening to various mixes.

And yes, Mick's close friend and neighbor Pete Townshend said Mick told him he was frustrated the process was taking so long. I don't really see a difference on Pete saying Mick told him or Mick saying the same thing.

You don't think Keith meant listening through endless takes to decide which ones to work with?

That's how I read it, but you could be right, of course.

Date: March 14, 2020 23:57

Witness
Hairball

However, we do not know how the other 38 songs out of the said 40 songs are like from having heard different versions of two songs.smiling bouncing smiley

And then there's Keith's three dynamite riffs...for all we know one or two might also be rejects...maybe all three of them are rejects!
He could release an EP and title it Dynamite Rejects! Might even rename the Expensive Winos the Dynamite Rejects. thumbs up

Date: March 15, 2020 00:29

Hairball
um...I did say "at this point" and was referring to the album making process itself (not the thread)...but not sure why you're concerned with how I feel.
Besides, pretty sure I've read you saying you're leaving here because it takes up so much of your time, yet your still here?

I wasn't concerned with your view, I was amused and yes, I said you were as addicted as I was. Didn't mean to make you feel like I was attacking you. You're right, though in that you were talking about now and I was talking about the whole maddening period of time.

Date: March 15, 2020 00:35

DandelionPowderman
You don't think Keith meant listening through endless takes to decide which ones to work with?
That's how I read it, but you could be right, of course.

We could try an ASK KEITH I suppose...

It is odd that Keith no longer gives the "When it's finished" answer to the question of when will the album be done or as Mick once characterized Keith's answers as the "Oh, it just happens, man" responses. Now, more often than not, both of them sound grumpy when they get asked about new material.

Date: March 15, 2020 00:48

Hairball
Witness
Hairball

And then there's Keith's three dynamite riffs...for all we know one or two might also be rejects...maybe all three of them are rejects!
He could release an EP and title it Dynamite Rejects! Might even rename the Expensive Winos the Dynamite Rejects. thumbs up

Good read!smileys with beer

Date: March 15, 2020 00:51

...easy easy boys …
We's all in the same boat … on the same sea … it'll all work out

ROCKMAN

Date: March 15, 2020 00:53

ROCKMAN

Date: March 15, 2020 03:19

Witness
Hairball

OK, so the box set will contain 38 rejects (i.e. the remainder of Mick's batch of 40 songs), and Keith's three dynamite riffs will come as a bonus on the Japanese version ... doesn't sound too bad ...

What are the "different versions of two songs"? There's the CD edit and the radio edit of D&G, which differ only mildly (but LP and single versions of a songs have hardly ever been the same) plus a few remixes by other people, and the only other version of OMG OMS I know of is the Winos version, which is unreleased as of yet.

KRiffhard

...quotes ...

Great post! I always feel like there's talk about a new album already for a decade, and if adding the Keith interview from 2010 I quoted a few pages back I must admit that, horribly enough, it in fact is a full decade now sad smiley

Date: March 15, 2020 03:33

Rockman
...easy easy boys …
We's all in the same boat … on the same sea … it'll all work out

But, Terry, our rogue children are playing loaded dice!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...441442443444445446447448449450451...LastNext
Current Page: 446 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1938
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home