Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...413414415416417418419420421422423...LastNext
Current Page: 418 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 5, 2020 21:05

georgelicks
bye bye johnny
georgelicks
We'll not hear anything about the new album until next year, the whole band will be on vacations/off time during the next 3 months at least with studio sessions booked in early December.

Any word on the December studio sessions, georgelicks?

The sessions were through all the year(s), the last one in November, I've been told, but never with the full band, Keith did some work on his own in LA and Mick/Ronnie some work in London too, Charlie's parts are already done for a while now.

There are enough songs to fill 2 or 3 albums of new material, more than 30 basic tracks are in the can, but it looks like they only want 10 good ones, a 35-40 minutes solid short album.

Of course, they can release 5 different versions of the album with different bonus tracks on each ones, so the die hards would have to buy the same album 5 times to get all the songs, but the basic 10 songs album is the main goal and they want that to be a very strong one.

The chances for the new album released this year is BIG, according to sources in Universal,

When? Well, if they bundle the album with the upcoming US tour the sales will be good there, over 500k with album/tickets/merch combos, but not so good in the rest of the world, sales are very poor in June/July.

A late 2020 release makes more sense, sales in November/December are much bigger but the impact without a tour in suport is limited (see the Who's latest album, it went 2-90-194 in the US chart) so all the options are open to discussion.

Some solid news and a reason to be more optimistic - thanks georgelicks !
And thanks to bye bye johnny for asking the right question to the right person. thumbs up

New album + new tour = fantastic.
New album + late 2020 release = fantastic.
Maybe a new single for the tour, and the new album late fall = fantastic.
New album period = fantastic.

And even without a new album in 2020 - Upcoming US Tour = fantastic!

Re: New Stones album for 2020?
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 6, 2020 00:50

doitywoik
keefriffhard4life
I care more about the number of minutes of original music released

Are there statistics available anywhere how many original songs (and minutes) they released before SW and since (and including) SW? - Too lazy to do it myself ... winking smiley

The low number of albums they released since the CD age is possibly somewhat misleading because every album since SW is three album side's worth and I'm losing track of the singles anyway ... Including the singles thete must be 60+ original (new) songs?

VL, BTB and ABB were all true double albums.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: January 6, 2020 07:21

Yes .. I am glad the album buzz is ...'it's on'. I told em .. look fellas .. let's get the show on the road .. (some pun) ..these darts aren't going to stay sharp forever!

- Album has been in the making for a good handful of years now (worked on in pieces, bits, and chunks).
- They have ample material to go on (even enough for at least two full albums)
- Still fitting it all together .. is like a 'puzzle' in which they are experimenting and are trying to find the best possible results.
- Looking to release this year- 2020 (not sure when .. Im thinking round tour time).
- They (The Stones) want to ensure this particular (perhaps final) album is a good as it can be / very strong.

All of the above is 75-80% chance of being the hard facts. Thanks to Georgelicks
much of it is confirmed.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-06 07:23 by IanBillen.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: January 6, 2020 09:45

georgelicks
bye bye johnny
georgelicks
We'll not hear anything about the new album until next year, the whole band will be on vacations/off time during the next 3 months at least with studio sessions booked in early December.

The sessions were through all the year(s), the last one in November, I've been told, but never with the full band, Keith did some work on his own in LA and Mick/Ronnie some work in London too, Charlie's parts are already done for a while now.

There are enough songs to fill 2 or 3 albums of new material, more than 30 basic tracks are in the can, but it looks like they only want 10 good ones, a 35-40 minutes solid short album.

Of course, they can release 5 different versions of the album with different bonus tracks on each ones, so the die hards would have to buy the same album 5 times to get all the songs, but the basic 10 songs album is the main goal and they want that to be a very strong one.

The chances for the new album released this year is BIG, according to sources in Universal,

When? Well, if they bundle the album with the upcoming US tour the sales will be good there, over 500k with album/tickets/merch combos, but not so good in the rest of the world, sales are very poor in June/July.

A late 2020 release makes more sense, sales in November/December are much bigger but the impact without a tour in suport is limited (see the Who's latest album, it went 2-90-194 in the US chart) so all the options are open to discussion.

It seems they have to choose 10 songs from more than 30 new tracks. Let’s cross our fingers and hope they choose well!

Posted by: ukcal ()
Date: January 6, 2020 11:16

any chance that Mick n Keef NOT working together means they have taken some tracks away for possible solo cds as well!

Re: New Stones album for 2021?
Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: January 6, 2020 16:44

georgelicks

Thanks for the update!

Economically this sounds like album plus tour in late 2020 ...

IanBillen
I told em .. look fellas .. let's get the show on the road .. (some pun) ..these darts aren't going to stay sharp forever!

Ian, you da man! smiling smileythumbs up

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: January 6, 2020 17:00

georgelicks
bye bye johnny
georgelicks

Good stuff! Thanks, georgelicks.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: January 6, 2020 20:09

bye bye johnny
georgelicks
bye bye johnny
georgelicks

Mick sees little value in actually being in the studio with someone these days, apparently. I think it was Don Henley or someone who had Mick do a guest spot and wanted him to come in, but he was like "why, I can just do it remotely." We already know his limited patience for "endless jamming." I don't know if he's right about his dismissive attitude towards certain organic traditions or not, but it's an interesting insight into his personality.

It's easy to guess Keith's reaction lol. Just like Lennon's acidic personality blunted McCartney's saccharine personality, we've always had Keith's "bigoted" traditionalism/blues outlook vs. Jagger's pop/commercial tastes, but I think in their old age they can't be bothered to really balance each other anymore and just go to their respective corners.

Maybe the delay in putting tickets up for sale/announcing is so that they can pair a CD sale with every ticket sold. Also, if they do album & tour at the same time, they only have to do one round of promotion and interviews instead of two rounds, which will definitely appeal to them. I would be bet, for those two reasons, we'll have the record before the tour.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-06 20:10 by Send It To me.

Date: January 6, 2020 20:18

<Mick sees little value in actually being in the studio with someone these days, apparently>

He just recorded in the studio with Ronnie, according to georgelicks..

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: January 6, 2020 20:52

DandelionPowderman

Yeah, it seems like Keith is the one that stays at home.

Date: January 6, 2020 21:23

GetYerAngie
DandelionPowderman

Actually, he did his parts in LA smiling smiley

Date: January 6, 2020 22:56

DandelionPowderman
GetYerAngie
DandelionPowderman

Actually, he did his parts in LA smiling smiley

smiling smiley

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: January 6, 2020 23:13

Send It To me
bye bye johnny
georgelicks
bye bye johnny
georgelicks

Mick sees little value in actually being in the studio with someone these days, apparently. I think it was Don Henley or someone who had Mick do a guest spot and wanted him to come in, but he was like "why, I can just do it remotely." We already know his limited patience for "endless jamming." I don't know if he's right about his dismissive attitude towards certain organic traditions or not, but it's an interesting insight into his personality.

It's easy to guess Keith's reaction lol. Just like Lennon's acidic personality blunted McCartney's saccharine personality, we've always had Keith's "bigoted" traditionalism/blues outlook vs. Jagger's pop/commercial tastes, but I think in their old age they can't be bothered to really balance each other anymore and just go to their respective corners.

Maybe the delay in putting tickets up for sale/announcing is so that they can pair a CD sale with every ticket sold. Also, if they do album & tour at the same time, they only have to do one round of promotion and interviews instead of two rounds, which will definitely appeal to them. I would be bet, for those two reasons, we'll have the record before the tour.

Well they have already been in the studio 'all together' in the same place recording for this .. a few times .. like three ...or four (or maybe even five) times?

I work / have worked in studios so I know how things go .. many times you get a different take by having the person do it separately with someone else if it's just overdubbing or parts. Sometimes the whole band is there watching .. sometimes not. Sometimes an engineer discusses it and they try different things with the part.

Either way it's not like they all never met in the studio together for this thing .. they have. It's been done every which way it seems .. all together ..
one person in .. separate parts of the world .. etc. This album should be very interesting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-07 09:58 by IanBillen.

Date: January 6, 2020 23:14

Hairball
georgelicks
bye bye johnny
georgelicks

Some solid news and a reason to be more optimistic - thanks georgelicks !
And thanks to bye bye johnny for asking the right question to the right person. thumbs up

New album + new tour = fantastic.
New album + late 2020 release = fantastic.
Maybe a new single for the tour, and the new album late fall = fantastic.
New album period = fantastic.

And even without a new album in 2020 - Upcoming US Tour = fantastic!

Yeah, I agree. It seems that this thread isn't going to be renamed 2021 next january.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

The good thing about them doing their parts apart is that it seems like the album is nearly finished and that it is just some overdubs and things that needed to be done. I guess the puzzle is over - and now it is just decisions about timing and how to promote it with best effect.

Posted by: ukcal ()
Date: January 6, 2020 23:27

Anyone agree or disagree that Mick n Keef maybe working up the unused and rejected songs for future solo albums, or are they done with the solo stuff?

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: January 7, 2020 00:31

DandelionPowderman
<Mick sees little value in actually being in the studio with someone these days, apparently>

Maybe Ronnie doesn't need endless jamming to produce a useful take? winking smiley

ukcal
Anyone agree or disagree that Mick n Keef maybe working up the unused and rejected songs for future solo albums, or are they done with the solo stuff?

That a song remains unused doesn't necessarily mean it is generally rejected. It may just not fit in the context of the present album-in-progress.

What they will do with the 30 or whatever songs that won't make the present album is anybody's guess. Personally, I'd prefer for them to appear on the next album-in-progress. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-07 00:32 by doitywoik.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: January 7, 2020 01:14

georgelicks
bye bye johnny
georgelicks

Thanks as always for the album updates!! It seems like they're well into the process now of narrowing down the songs from 30 to 10. New album and tour in 2020 sounds good to me!! grinning smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 7, 2020 06:27

ukcal

Hope Keith releases more solo material.

As far as 30 basic tracks that georgelicks mentioned, seems the key word is BASIC.
Once they choose the "best" ten they want to use, there's probably much more work that needs to be done on them.
But there was also mention of multiple remixes for individual songs (some with up to five different mixes!), so maybe there's some that are near completion and some that need more work.
Hard to say, but after such a slow paced rollercoaster since they began this saga, will believe it when I hear it which very well could be this year...finally/hopefully.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 7, 2020 09:51

Hairball
ukcal

... but after such a slow paced rollercoaster since they began this saga, will believe it when I hear it which very well could be this year...finally/hopefully.

Slow paced rollercoaster ?

What's that ? ...a gentle stroll in the South Downs ? grinning smiley

Date: January 7, 2020 15:39

doitywoik
DandelionPowderman

Maybe Ronnie doesn't need endless jamming to produce a useful take? winking smiley

ukcal

That a song remains unused doesn't necessarily mean it is generally rejected. It may just not fit in the context of the present album-in-progress.

What they will do with the 30 or whatever songs that won't make the present album is anybody's guess. Personally, I'd prefer for them to appear on the next album-in-progress. smiling smiley

Even though Mick has stated that this will be the last new Stones release, there's always another kind of TATTOO YOU with the leftovers.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: January 7, 2020 15:46

GasLightStreet
Even though Mick has stated that this will be the last new Stones release, there's always another kind of TATTOO YOU with the leftovers.

Others have asked previously, and will ask again here. Where and when did Mick state that? Source/link please.

Date: January 7, 2020 16:18

doitywoik
DandelionPowderman

True. Then again, he won't have to worry about writing the actual songs winking smiley

Date: January 7, 2020 16:18

bye bye johnny
GasLightStreet

Others have asked previously, and will ask again here. Where and when did Mick state that? Source/link please.

I read it in several places last year. Can't find where.

Date: January 7, 2020 16:20

GasLightStreet
bye bye johnny
GasLightStreet

I read it, too, but he did use the word probably, didn't he?

Date: January 7, 2020 16:21

Rocky Dijon
What needs to be seen is what happens next now that Pete Townshend shared Mick's frustration that the album is taking so long. Keith and Ronnie separately did overdubs in May. The band was expected to regroup in the studio after the tour. Soldatti and others heard December, but it appears if it happened at all it was in November when Ronnie's movie premiered and Mick and Don Was attended the screening with him. This fits the rumors they were recording in mid-November, though the location in the rumor was Los Angeles and not London. For now, we wait till they appear publicly and see if they still say a new album is coming this year with the tour. If they say "we'll try to finish it after the tour" yet again, it's pretty pointless.

ALTERNATIVE NATION IS THE GONORRHEA OF ROCK JOURNALISM

With Google Chrome you can get uBlacklist. It's an extension and it is used to block sites.

For FireFox look up BlockSite - an extension for FireFox.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: January 7, 2020 17:04

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
bye bye johnny
GasLightStreet

I read it, too, but he did use the word probably, didn't he?

It was an article, the link to which is probably to be found somewhere in this thread, and I remember thinking that it couldn't be a real interview, because Mick never shares thoughts on future plans, least of all retiring, in terms of "this will be the last run" (about playing live if I remember correctly), and recording "if we do it, it will be the last one".
But perhaps I was wrong and Mick was in an unusual candid mood, for the first time in 55 years...

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 7, 2020 17:20

GasLightStreet

With Google Chrome you can get uBlacklist. It's an extension and it is used to block sites.

For FireFox look up BlockSite - an extension for FireFox.

Thank you most sincerely, sir.

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: January 7, 2020 17:51

I check this thread every other day it seems. I think about this probably more than I should, but I can't help myself. I am hungry for a new Rolling Stones album. It feels like this is a corner of the internet where we hold a vigil for it.

I see the rumor is that the 2020 tour might start June 21st in Kentucky. I would have to imagine that between now and then would be a good amount of time to retire No Filter and prepare a new tour around a new album, possibly released just prior to the tour? The idea of bundling a CD with the ticket is a good idea that would automatically boost sales numbers.

And then there could be an expanded edition released right before the holidays. Maybe a special live performance of the new album in its entirety. I know this will never happen, but I can dream. How about a true double CD of all 30 songs?

It might also be worth keeping in mind that part of "Old Town Road"'s extended run on the charts was a consistent release of remixes. Maybe the Stones have a similar plan in mind.

I would imagine that preparing promotional materials such as music videos and documentaries would be taking place as well.

Anyway, I have nothing to contribute but this lone flickering flame. Hopefully our patience will be rewarded soon.

Thanks Georgelicks, for the updates.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: January 7, 2020 18:43

When was the last time besides quick reply things has Jagger sat down for a full blown interview? He hasn’t for years despite all the tours, Blue and Lonesome press. All very superficial in last 10 years. He doesn’t want questions about his newest kid, Melanie, or L’wrenn

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: January 7, 2020 18:51

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-07 18:55 by Maindefender.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...413414415416417418419420421422423...LastNext
Current Page: 418 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1283
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home