Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...405406407408409410411412413414415...LastNext
Current Page: 410 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2020?
Posted by: dennycranium ()
Date: December 16, 2019 23:29

I loved Stripped when it came out. I would welcome an album of the Stones covering their own songs. Wild Horses, Beast Of Burden and LSTNT were excellent variations of the originals
Keith always says the songs are just babies when the album is released and they "take em out on tour to grow them up!"

I'd love to hear how some Stones classics *gasp* war horses have evolved or "grown up."

I know that's blasphemy for a lot of you out there but I think it would spur debate, bring new fans in and rejuvenate us old guys.
As far as new material goes? Bring it on, I say. I've seen interviews where Charlie thinks newer Stones songs lack "the bite" of their earlier catalog and I agree with that sentiment.
I too, loved ABB where some tracks were timeless, some modern and some were just filler.

INXS did an interesting "cover" album with different vocalists doing well known and deep album cuts to a decent effect. It came out in 2011.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: December 16, 2019 23:38

A "croweology" album...A "Stripped number 2" would be welcome to me

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 16, 2019 23:58

LazarusSmith
IanBillen
LazarusSmith
wonderboy
Be interesting to see how they promote this new album.
The Who have shown how to promote yourself in today's marketplace. Their tour was nowhere near as big as a Stones tour, but it was interesting and generated lots of press. Townshend and Daltrey did a ton of interviews. As usual, Pete writes the story for the reporter, but Daltrey has also been good this round. I saw them both interviewed where Roger talked openly about how difficult Pete's addictions were, while Pete squirmed. Roger got a lot of positive press showing up in Cincinnati for memorial services.
I would really like to see the Mick and Keith out there talking to various reporters without benefit of their handlers and really just be honest. I think it could see records.
They missed a chance this year with the 50-year anniversary of Altamont and Let it Bleed. Can you imagine Mick returning to Oakland and opening up that story. Or the band returning to Muscle Shoals and cutting a new track with cameras rolling. Gimme Shelter (the movie) was huge for their career and still generates interest in the mainstream.
I think if they opened themselves up a bit and stopped presenting themselves through carefully scripted concert movies they could generate more interest.

The Who album is COMPLETELY DOA, by the only yardstick that matters in music today, the streaming services. No one outside fandom cares. It will chart of course but the charts mean nothing cuz no one but old people buy physical music these days. it would be the same thing, unfortunately, with a new Stones album - great "press," maybe even appearances on NPR, CBS Sunday Morning, and SNL, and the album will come and go in a week or two. Mick and Keith know all this. This, alas, is the real "wall."

Mmmmmmmm kina disagree.. The Stones are a 'rare' breed. The only one of their kind .. Blue & Lonesome was simply supposed to be an over the holiday treat / special. It was a covers album and it chalked up to #4 on the US charts (which is impressive by any act for a 'covers album'). Over-all it was the best selling album in the whole world for a few weeks. Additionally it maintained solid sales for an extended period after release. B & L was sort of / basically a 'surprise hit' and it received plenty of attention. Not only did it surprise us ...but it also surprised Universal .. >> AND The Stones.

I'm not saying they will get Taylor Swift or Ariana Grande numbers for petes sake (lol)... BUT.... the new album will do well and will sell better than any other act approaching their age. It will be a success .. and it will garnish adequate attention for them.

Oh, I agree that it would probably be a #1 album -- for the little that that means anymore. You know how pitiful Blue & Lonesome was on Spotify? Only 4 of its 12 tracks have more streams than the Alok remix of "Gotta Get a Grip"! Imagine that? A heavily promoted and critically lauded Stones album ... and 8 of its 12 tracks get smoked by one of the remixes of a throwaway unpromoted Jagger solo single.

That reminds me. Throwaway was a pretty unpromoted but brilliant Jagger solo single.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 17, 2019 00:00

walkingthedog
LazarusSmith
Hairball
But it seems some fans want experimental/artificial technologically advanced sterile sounding contemporary/state of the art mumbo jumbo.

YES!!!

that is exactly what we want mr hb -- thx for articulating it so clearly!

Gimme some mumbo!

You forgot the jumbo which could be included in a deluxe version of the new album, or could refer to the multiple remixes of the first single.smiling smiley
Mumbo jumbo = better than nothing.thumbs up

Date: December 17, 2019 00:03

maumau
actually Hairball I think I am beginning to care NOT. do they whatever they want or not, at this point I really got no expectations anymore. of course I will be thrilled to hear the new album if it ever comes out (I still love the band, too much interwined with my life to part) but up until then I am ready to consider the possibility that their end, as a recording band, is already behind. cheers

Don't give up hope - we all care about the Stones!
Wondering though if the December sessions yielded any progress (if there were any sessions at all).
Meanwhile Mick is partying up a storm celebrating with Boris Johnson...maybe he'll be inspired to write some new politically themed tunes?

Posted by: rollman ()
Date: December 17, 2019 00:54

Hairball

That said, at this point I think a majority of fans would be pleased to have an original Stones album no matter what it sounds like.

That's me! I'm in no matter what. Although "no matter what it sounds like"
isn't a complete accurate description I can't articulate it better right
now so I'm going with you Hairball smiling smiley

Posted by: stone66 ()
Date: December 17, 2019 01:34

This "new Stones album" is so old by now, it should be released as a "remastered deluxe version" with bonus tracks plus a retrospective "making of" documentary video.

Date: December 17, 2019 01:55

@jarren_dalmeda on Instagram Today
"Collaborating with legends. Always a pleasure". ;-)
[www.instagram.com]

Date: December 17, 2019 02:39

Never heard of him, so had to look him up - Jarren Dalmeda is an actor.
What sort of collaboration could this be? Is Mick acting in another movie? If so, wrong thread.
WTF........

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: December 17, 2019 04:36

DiegoGlimmerStones

@jarren_dalmeda on Instagram Today
"Collaborating with legends. Always a pleasure". ;-)
[www.instagram.com]

Is for a video ... for the first single to come very late winter / early spring.

EAZZZZZZZZZZY ... that was a total joke (<< 100%) .. I have absolutely no idea what this is about.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 17, 2019 05:32

One wonders what exactly has kept Mr. Jagger in London for the past five weeks or so.

Date: December 17, 2019 05:39

Maybe he's In contact with the boys, Apparently Jarred Dalmeda Is also a DJ according to his Instagram account [instagram.com] I'm Interested on this collab too. Looking forward for this project

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: December 17, 2019 07:51

I thought that guy was The Rock...

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 17, 2019 08:33

Rocky Dijon
One wonders what exactly has kept Mr. Jagger in London for the past five weeks or so.

The Holidays?

Posted by: ukcal ()
Date: December 17, 2019 11:02

Lets hope they have been recording the new Bond theme song for Die another day, the movie is out in April and would fit with the us tour and new album...maybe we are just getting one song and an album in dec 2020

would Jagger have the balls to do bond as a solo tune!.....(because Keef didn't like it)

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: December 17, 2019 14:17

Hairball
Wondering though if the December sessions yielded any progress (if there were any sessions at all).
Meanwhile Mick is partying up a storm celebrating with Boris Johnson...maybe he'll be inspired to write some new politically themed tunes?

ahahahahh Hairball, just saying they can do whatever and take all the time they want, I am not starving for a RS record anymore, maybe for the first time in my life smiling smiley when it will come out, if it will, I will be thrilled and hopefully the thrill will last much longer than ABB. The thrill of CEH or B&L will be enough to make me happy. cheers!

Posted by: RG ()
Date: December 17, 2019 15:15

maumau
Hairball

ahahahahh Hairball, just saying they can do whatever and take all the time they want, I am not starving for a RS record anymore, maybe for the first time in my life smiling smiley when it will come out, if it will, I will be thrilled and hopefully the thrill will last much longer than ABB. The thrill of CEH or B&L will be enough to make me happy. cheers!

True but which album do you mean with 'CEH'?

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 17, 2019 15:41

Hairball
maumau
actually Hairball I think I am beginning to care NOT. do they whatever they want or not, at this point I really got no expectations anymore. of course I will be thrilled to hear the new album if it ever comes out (I still love the band, too much interwined with my life to part) but up until then I am ready to consider the possibility that their end, as a recording band, is already behind. cheers

I thought those on this site who are allegedly "in the know" were confident that December sessions would take place.
Fake News/Rumours?

Date: December 17, 2019 17:00

RG

True but which album do you mean with 'CEH'?

Crosseyed heart, mispelling it spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: December 17, 2019 17:42

Good to see so much debate about the advisability/likelihood - or otherwise - of a new Stones album. And some good suggestions too about what might be the best way to approach it, should it become impossible to bring the whole band together for new recording sessions. Good also to see so many participants reaffirming their love for the band, and their acceptance of whatever does, or does not, materialise in terms of a new album at the end of all of this.

For me, the overwhelming emotion I feel now, is gratitude for fifty four years - in my case - of musical pleasure. Of course there have been downs as well as ups, disappointments as well as successes, and frustrations as well as delights. That is how this world works. But, overwhelmingly, the positives have outweighed the negatives. And by a huge margin. I would live every minute of it again if I could.

If a new album - however it might me created - DOES appear, I will buy it. As I have bought everything the band have ever released officially in the UK. And in the US and Japan too whenever I could. The Rolling Stones have been a lifetime love-affair for me. I suspect they are exactly the same for pretty much everyone else who uses this site. And should the new album prove to be top class I will be overjoyed and play it to destruction. And if it is not up to scratch I will be sad, but not desolate. Or angry. Or critical. Because of all that has gone before. And those fifty four years of pleasure I mentioned already.

Date: December 17, 2019 19:11

ukcal
Lets hope they have been recording the new Bond theme song for Die another day, the movie is out in April and would fit with the us tour and new album...maybe we are just getting one song and an album in dec 2020

would Jagger have the balls to do bond as a solo tune!.....(because Keef didn't like it)

I forgot about the possibility of the Stones doing the Bond theme song (that would be fantastic), but never imagined it could be a Mick solo tune...eye popping smiley... makes more sense and I believe Mick would do it!

maumau
Hairball

Yes, never give up hope - some day we all might be able to celebrate a new Stones album, or at least breathe a sigh of relief.
But now there's the possibility of Mick releasing more solo material with DJ Dalmeda!!!!sad smiley

jlowe

I thought those on this site who are allegedly "in the know" were confident that December sessions would take place.
Fake News/Rumours?

I thought so too, but there hasn't been a hint, a tweet, a snippet, a pic, a blurb, or anything that says it has happened from anyone - not even from Ronnie, Chuck, or Don Was.
Doesn't mean it hasn't happened, but with Mick collaborating with DJ Dalmeda, makes you wonder if anything related to the new Stones album is happening at all.
Maybe one of the insiders can shed some light.

Date: December 17, 2019 19:46

“Every idiot who goes about with a 'fake news' on his lips should be boiled with his own pudding, and buried with a stake of holly through his heart.” - Charles Dickens

Soldatti's source at UME stated there was a session booked in December. Many folks have heard that, not just repeated it. A month ago a few folks heard the session started in mid-November. It was said to be in L.A., but Mick, Ronnie, and Don Was were in London at the time the sessions were supposedly beginning. Mick is still in London. Sources don't really matter until there is confirmation from the band. Look at it this way, with crap sites like Alternative News quoting posts from IORR left and right, if you were the band, would you confirm the state of the album or would you put a tighter lock on security? They'll update us when they're ready. It will either be the news we're waiting for or more scripted talk about "early stages, still molding the clay, too soon to know what it is yet." Personally, I believe they've resolved to release an album with the tour next year. You know, the tour they haven't announced yet either.

Date: December 17, 2019 20:18

Seems to me the new tour - unannounced or not- has more concrete info. than the supposed new Stones album.
BV has mentioned it more than once, and there's now info. that a stadium has supposedly been booked.
As for a new album? Nada.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-17 20:18 by Hairball.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: December 17, 2019 21:09

I think that the vagueness about the tour and the vagueness about the album (even the supposed December session) may just mean something. Call it wishful thinking but what else can you do than speculate.
This just made me think back to the days when one never knew anything about albums being recorded and tours weren't announced half a year or more in advance. Albums just popped up more or less suddenly, usually preceded about three or four weeks by a single, which usually was the first signal that something new was coming our way. Now, in the internet era, sometimes we know too much, it seems, so, when there isn't news to satisfy our curiosity, we become uneasy for the lack of apparent progress (yes I know it's about 14 years now since the last new record). The Stones may just have decided to not share too much information at this stage or it seems like that anyway. If so, what could that mean?

Date: December 17, 2019 21:29

Hairball
Seems to me the new tour - unannounced or not- has more concrete info. than the supposed new Stones album.
BV has mentioned it more than once, and there's now info. that a stadium has supposedly been booked.
As for a new album? Nada.

Bjornulf hears rumors about the album as well. I don't think he's shared anything on the board since the single that didn't happen and the NO FILTER album in 2017 that didn't happen. The problem with rumors is they're like sure things at horse races. Sometimes you gamble and it pays off, mostly you trusted someone who didn't know as much as they said they did. I'm not really sure why you'd ask for what people are hearing just to say it isn't concrete info. None of it is concrete until the band announces it.

Posted by: keefmick ()
Date: December 17, 2019 23:07

I think we should be proud of ourselves. 410 pages of absolutely zero information and still going strong!

Date: December 18, 2019 00:42

keefmick
I think we should be proud of ourselves. 410 pages of absolutely zero information and still going strong!

we have dj dalmedaaaaaaa!!!

Date: December 18, 2019 00:44

Rocky Dijon
I'm not really sure why you'd ask for what people are hearing just to say it isn't concrete info.

That's not what I meant. I said rumours of the new tour seem to be more concrete than any info. regarding the progress of the new album's December sessions.
Except for talk of the December sessions prior to the last leg of the tour (which was mentioned several times by several people), it's been quiet regarding that lately and it just so happens to be more than half way through December.
Seems there would be some mention of it somewhere/somehow - whether from inside sources or from band members themsleves, but silence.
I also said previously that just because there's been no talk of it, doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: December 18, 2019 00:46

keefmick
Yes, but it's better to talk about a hypothetical new album, than dentures and wigs!smiling bouncing smiley

Date: December 18, 2019 00:49

SomeGuy
I think that the vagueness about the tour and the vagueness about the album (even the supposed December session) may just mean something. Call it wishful thinking but what else can you do than speculate.
This just made me think back to the days when one never knew anything about albums being recorded and tours weren't announced half a year or more in advance. Albums just popped up more or less suddenly, usually preceded about three or four weeks by a single, which usually was the first signal that something new was coming our way. Now, in the internet era, sometimes we know too much, it seems, so, when there isn't news to satisfy our curiosity, we become uneasy for the lack of apparent progress (yes I know it's about 14 years now since the last new record). The Stones may just have decided to not share too much information at this stage or it seems like that anyway. If so, what could that mean?

That there will be no new album any time soon?

Just kidding (I think), but your post makes alot of sense. We're spoiled due to the internet.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...405406407408409410411412413414415...LastNext
Current Page: 410 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1828
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home