Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...389390391392393394395396397398399...LastNext
Current Page: 394 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: November 17, 2019 02:54

Is it possible the reception to Blue And Lonesome made them rethink the album? I played it for a lot of people and they thought it sounded terrific. Who needs trends when a band has this stuff in them. I don’t think an album of bluesy type material is beyond them. Trying to stay current when current is A mostly Shite and B lasts 20 minutes is beyond them.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 17, 2019 03:02

Paddy
Is it possible the reception to Blue And Lonesome made them rethink the album? I played it for a lot of people and they thought it sounded terrific. Who needs trends when a band has this stuff in them. I don’t think an album of bluesy type material is beyond them. Trying to stay current when current is A mostly Shite and B lasts 20 minutes is beyond them.

If memory serves, Keith was ready and willing to do a Blue and Lonesome pt. II, but maybe he was outvoted?
It certainly would have helped fill the void, and would have given them even more time to work on new/original material (as if 15 years wasn't enough).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-17 03:02 by Hairball.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: November 17, 2019 03:06

Paddy

I can only agree with this thought. Suddenly friends of mine liked a Stones record, which was B&L, when they never liked anything from the past 30 years. This should mean something.

Posted by: stone66 ()
Date: November 17, 2019 03:32

They set out to make a new record of originals, and from these sessions they turned out Blue and Lonesome instead.

If they still had people around them they could take sage advice from, like ALO, Jimmy Miller, or Glyn Johns, rather than a yes-man lapdog like Don Was-Who-Isn't-Really-What-It-Is-About, then they could learn something from this.

For new material that makes a lasting impression, they jumped off that merry-go-round/treadmill long ago, or perhaps just evolved out of it.

They'll never put out another Some Girls at this point. Better instead to learn from B&L and simply celebrate the type of music that made them what they are from the start.

That way, they can just continue to excel in a genre in which they can still distinguish themselves.

Just tone down the trendy productions, let the tape run, and just let the stones roll where they may.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 18, 2019 02:00

Just the past 3 albums sans BAL the songs that I like the most are, I suppose, what one would expect but also some that are a bit different. The trendy songs (MAWGJ, Gunface, Saint Of Me, ABSMY?) were interesting but only one of them was an actual decent song, to my ears (Saint). Here's what caught my ears:

Love Is Strong
The Worst
Moon Is Up
Out Of Tears
Baby Break It Down

Flip The Switch
Lowdown
You Don't Have To Mean It
Too Tight
Thief In The Night
How Can I Stop

Rough Justice
Let Me Down Slow
It Won't Take Long
She Saw Me Coming
Biggest Mistake
Dangerous Beauty
Laugh I Nearly Died
Look What The Cat Dragged In

I like I Go Wild, mainly for the guitaring, and it's sleazy attitude, but it's not a very good song. I like Brand New Car and Suck On The Jugular but they sound a bit forced. The horns are nice. Blinded By Rainbows is nice but it's just kinda like warm pudding.

ASMB? is kind of interesting, as is Saint Of Me, but they don't really sound any "different" because of the production, they sound rather ordinary, really. Nothing grabs me.

Rain Fall Down is pretty damn good but... the lyrics are dismal, for the most part. This Place Is Empty, while nicely sentimental, is just The Worst 2.

I was thinking about what post-1967 album doesn't have any songs in open G on it (or more) and the only one I can come up with is EMOTIONAL RESCUE (and perhaps BLUE AND LONESOME).

Date: November 18, 2019 02:16

pretty good list. i'd have to think really hard of my top 5 from each of the last 3 albums

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: November 18, 2019 02:35

I Go Wild is a song a fan would never show to other people. There's a bunch of those. If you consider Saint Of Me a decent song, why didn't you include it in the list? It could have been an actual classic had it been the anchor single.

Date: November 18, 2019 04:00

Saint of Me and How Can I Stop were the only songs I actually liked when Bridges was released. The irony of course is Saint of Me has no Keith, while How Can I Stop is a Keith tune through and through.
While Saint of Me studio version is a bit sterile production-wise (and a somewhat cheesy chorus), it worked better live w/Keith involved - specifically Vredenburg where the chorus became a group therapy singalong for all in attendance.
How Can I Stop also suffers from sterile production, but the most annoying part is the backup singing - would have loved to hear it with a more subtle production and less up front backup vocals.
The sax solo towards the end almost turns it into a boring lullaby, and ultimately the tune hasn't aged very well due to all of those reasons.

In the end, if the new album has a similar mixture of Keith vs. Mick tunes, I'm all for it. Hopefully though (and a best case scenario), there will be more of a true band vibe throughout - all for one, and one for all - i.e. Stones brotherhood.

*late edit: spellcheck

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-18 04:24 by Hairball.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: November 18, 2019 04:21

Hairball
How Can I Stop is a Keith tune through and through.

That joke is the worst, Hairball and you don't have to mean it.

Date: November 18, 2019 04:29

You shouldn't take it so hard Rocky- make no mistake it was a struggle coming up with that yap yap.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: November 18, 2019 04:40

Well if that isn't a sign of trouble, I must be losing my touch.

Date: November 18, 2019 11:04

GasLightStreet
Just the past 3 albums sans BAL the songs that I like the most are, I suppose, what one would expect but also some that are a bit different. The trendy songs (MAWGJ, Gunface, Saint Of Me, ABSMY?) were interesting but only one of them was an actual decent song, to my ears (Saint). Here's what caught my ears:

Love Is Strong
The Worst
Moon Is Up
Out Of Tears
Baby Break It Down

Flip The Switch
Lowdown
You Don't Have To Mean It
Too Tight
Thief In The Night
How Can I Stop

Rough Justice
Let Me Down Slow
It Won't Take Long
She Saw Me Coming
Biggest Mistake
Dangerous Beauty
Laugh I Nearly Died
Look What The Cat Dragged In

I like I Go Wild, mainly for the guitaring, and it's sleazy attitude, but it's not a very good song. I like Brand New Car and Suck On The Jugular but they sound a bit forced. The horns are nice. Blinded By Rainbows is nice but it's just kinda like warm pudding.

ASMB? is kind of interesting, as is Saint Of Me, but they don't really sound any "different" because of the production, they sound rather ordinary, really. Nothing grabs me.

Rain Fall Down is pretty damn good but... the lyrics are dismal, for the most part. This Place Is Empty, while nicely sentimental, is just The Worst 2.

I was thinking about what post-1967 album doesn't have any songs in open G on it (or more) and the only one I can come up with is EMOTIONAL RESCUE (and perhaps BLUE AND LONESOME).

There is an open G overdub on She's So Cold (playing along a few bars). It took me decades to notice it smiling smiley

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: November 18, 2019 16:22

Keith is playing open-G Tele on Just Like I Treat You and Hate to See You Go.

Date: November 18, 2019 21:20

MelBelli
Keith is playing open-G Tele on Just Like I Treat You and Hate to See You Go.

And 12 string open E (or D) with slide on Hoodoo Blues.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: November 19, 2019 19:16

Maybe the title thread should be changed...eye rolling smiley

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 19, 2019 19:25

mailexile67

"Everything but the new album"

Date: November 19, 2019 19:42

KRiffhard
mailexile67

"Everything but the new album"

Yes, and there's still loads of OT detours that can be discussed within this never ending thread.

I have a feeling though there will be some progress on the new album soon, but how much progress remains to be seen.
Hopefully it's not a case of one step forward, two steps back.............eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: November 19, 2019 19:44

Think we might get a double album after all this time?

Date: November 19, 2019 19:49

Send It To me

No use. We will only complain about the album being too long! smoking smiley

Date: November 19, 2019 19:58

They should at least release a single or EP which there was talk of prior to the US No Filter tour, but then again it would be proof they can no longer barely function as a creative band.
Best to wait for a full album I suppose, even if it takes another few years which in the big picture is really not that long.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-19 19:59 by Hairball.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 19, 2019 20:14

Most importantly we must get to 400 pages about nothing. Can someone contact Guinness and see if we have a shot for a record? Not the kind the Stones aren't making.

Posted by: CJFP ()
Date: November 19, 2019 20:16

Uuuuggggghhhhhhh. I just want a new album! 2020!!! I hope!!! All these little hints and nods are driving me crazy. It's not fun and suspenseful build up any more, it's just annoying

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: November 19, 2019 20:41

2020 will be the "Place"grinning smileythumbs upsmoking smiley

Posted by: walkingthedog ()
Date: November 19, 2019 22:11

Send It To me

Probably. But so was Voodoo Lounge, Bridges to Babylon, A Bigger Bang, Goddess In the Doorway and Crosseyed Heart.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: November 19, 2019 22:41

I’m still betting that the correct title for the thread is “New Stones album for 2023.”

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: November 20, 2019 00:18

When the new album comes out, it's going to be old news.

Date: November 20, 2019 00:27

Nikkei
When the new album comes out, it's going to be old news.

And when their old albums come out (as rereleases, etc), it become new news!

Strange world we live in....smiling smiley

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 20, 2019 01:00

bam
I’m still betting that the correct title for the thread is “New Stones album for 2023.”

I'm going for "New Stones greatest hits album featuring two new songs"

Date: November 20, 2019 02:02

Nikkei
I Go Wild is a song a fan would never show to other people. There's a bunch of those. If you consider Saint Of Me a decent song, why didn't you include it in the list? It could have been an actual classic had it been the anchor single.

Because they don't really sound any "different" because of the production, they sound rather ordinary, really. Nothing grabs me.

Date: November 20, 2019 02:09

mailexile67

Perhaps you could open your mind to what the word "context" means...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...389390391392393394395396397398399...LastNext
Current Page: 394 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1348
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home