Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...388389390391392393394395396397398...LastNext
Current Page: 393 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: November 15, 2019 19:32

Are they confirmed recording sessions early December?!

Date: November 15, 2019 19:55

mailexile67

As confirmed as a studio session date can be...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 15, 2019 20:04

DandelionPowderman
mailexile67

As confirmed as a studio session date can be...

As confirmed as this thread getting to 400 pages before 2020!

Posted by: iraq0708 ()
Date: November 15, 2019 21:39

stone66
Be honest, though: If you could choose for 2020 between the recording and release of a new Stones album or another new leg of the never-ending 50 & Counting tour, you'd choose the tour every time.
Nope..you can keep the stale-setlist shows and i'll stay home and listen to the new LP--much more interested in new music than old. Although the 2019 gigs I was at were GOOD (not GREAT) I would have preferred them working in the studio instead. 2020?? We will probably get something new just because the band wants to close out their career with one last album of originals. Just guessing here (like everyone else)but I see a recording that promises to be slow, mournful, reflective, and still defiant and Stones-y. That's what I'm hoping for.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: November 15, 2019 23:39

Make it a double album to satisfy Mick and Keith(and us). Something traditional, something forward moving. If needed two different interpretations of the same song. A no brainer.....

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 16, 2019 00:37

Maindefender
Make it a double album to satisfy Mick and Keith(and us). Something traditional, something forward moving. If needed two different interpretations of the same song. A no brainer.....

Nice idea, especially if the Keith vs. Mick ideas were contained on separate albums and sold individually giving buyers the freedom of choice.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: November 16, 2019 00:54

I don't get the notion of Mick being "experimental" and "forward-moving"
I can see how he'd fancy himself as modern, but looking at what he actually produced, he never really was. He chased the flavour of the month in the way Madonna does, but structurally, the songs always followed a conservative formula. What Charlie did with Jim Keltner, now that was novel and experimental.

Posted by: LazarusSmith ()
Date: November 16, 2019 01:12

Nikkei
I can see how he'd fancy himself as modern, but looking at what he actually produced, he never really was. He chased the flavour of the month in the way Madonna does, but structurally, the songs always followed a conservative formula. What Charlie did with Jim Keltner, now that was novel and experimental.

TOTALLY AGREE. he's arguably more interested in "dance music" than Keith is but overall he's a very conservative traditional pop composer.

Date: November 16, 2019 01:39

iraq0708
stone66
Be honest, though: If you could choose for 2020 between the recording and release of a new Stones album or another new leg of the never-ending 50 & Counting tour, you'd choose the tour every time.
Nope..you can keep the stale-setlist shows and i'll stay home and listen to the new LP--much more interested in new music than old. Although the 2019 gigs I was at were GOOD (not GREAT) I would have preferred them working in the studio instead. 2020?? We will probably get something new just because the band wants to close out their career with one last album of originals. Just guessing here (like everyone else)but I see a recording that promises to be slow, mournful, reflective, and still defiant and Stones-y. That's what I'm hoping for.

BRIDGES TO BABYLON was them, at times, playing catch up to the modern sounds. By the time it came out, those modern sounds were already normal.

The Stones were behind the times.

Again.

There's a saying that is something along the lines of 'If it's a good song'...

There are some good songs on BTB. Being modern doesn't make it good.

Whatever the case may be if they release a new LP my only hope is it is full of songs they want to do to be themselves and not the coolest thing at the time - that's for other people.

They should know better by NOW.

If not, BLUE AND LONESOME is a great of an album to end on.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: November 16, 2019 07:05

GasLightStreet
iraq0708
stone66

BRIDGES TO BABYLON was them, at times, playing catch up to the modern sounds. By the time it came out, those modern sounds were already normal.

Again.

Whatever the case may be if they release a new LP my only hope is it is full of songs they want to do to be themselves and not the coolest thing at the time - that's for other people.

Whether up to the modern or after the time in essence, the important aspect in my view was and is that BRIDGES TO BABYLON in various songs provided something new for the Stones to do. Or something old in more or less new ways. Then that tendency gave rise to songs that I am aware that you and some others found abysmal, but are between great and semi-great to me, "Might As Well Get Juiced" and "Always Suffering". To gain such fruits I am prepared to accept also to obtain less good results like "Gunface". You yourself probably received songs that you found rewarding, too. In my opinion all in all much to be preferred to the former album's songs of "Stones-by-numbers" approach in tracks like " You Got Me Rocking" and the quite hollow " I Go Wild".

I hope that also a possible new studio album will contain songs that represent new ideas for the Stones to do or old ideas in new ways. To me gladly the whole appearing in an eclectic fashion as some albums have been in the past.

Edit: Correction of one misprint

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-16 10:40 by Witness.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: November 16, 2019 10:29

GasLightStreet

Again.

Interesting points .

"The times"... and being in front of or behind them should have nothing to do with anything .

Self consciously trying to be "modern" holds back any naturally creative process.

The Stones since the very early days have been eclectic by nature...not afraid to explore every popular genre, whether doing covers or writing in the idiom ...but they always just trusted their instincts and went with whatever felt good.

In the "modern era" they've maybe spent too much time second guessing themselves instead of going with the flow and trusting it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-16 16:12 by Spud.

Date: November 16, 2019 10:48

GasLightStreet
iraq0708
stone66

Again.

Since Carl Falk was involved I'm not so sure...

Date: November 16, 2019 20:21

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
iraq0708
stone66

Again.

That wasn't for any Stones songs though, to my knowledge - just Mick.

Date: November 16, 2019 20:32

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
iraq0708
stone66

Again.

How do you know it wasn't for Stones tunes?

Date: November 16, 2019 20:46

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
iraq0708
stone66

Again.

How do you know it wasn't for Stones tunes?

The info said just Mick ie no other Stones in a studio. Of course that could mean anything but I recall reading things that were specific to Stones songs being worked on...

Date: November 16, 2019 21:01

Had a great time working with @therollingstones Producer & Keyboard player Matt Clifford on Thursday! Even got to use @mickjagger ‘s own @mesaengineering amp.
Really excited about this project
[www.instagram.com]

Matt Clifford Is producer of The Stones with Don Was?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-16 21:02 by DiegoGlimmerStones.

Date: November 16, 2019 21:05

Keith would never meet up with Falk, so Mick probably had sessions with him working on some of his demos. Most likely for Stones tunes, as Falk wasn't credited on GGG/EL.

Falk also said "never worked with so many blues chords in my life" (or something similarly stupid), which made me think of the Stones, not Mick solo.

But we'll see...

Date: November 16, 2019 21:14

DiegoGlimmerStones

Had a great time working with @therollingstones Producer & Keyboard player Matt Clifford on Thursday! Even got to use @mickjagger ‘s own @mesaengineering amp.
Really excited about this project
[www.instagram.com]

These days pre-production (is that like pre-owned cars, just a fancy way of saying demos/used?) counts as being a producer, which Clifford was for Doom And Gloom.

Doom And Gloom

Bass – Darryl JonesDrums – Charlie WattsEngineer – Krishna Sharma*Engineer [Mix Assistant] – Chris Galland, Delbert BowersGuitar – Keith Richards, Ronnie Wood*Keyboards – Chuck LeavellMixed By – Manny Marraquin*Mixed By [Assistant] – Krishna Sharma*Producer – Don WasProducer [Pre-Production] – Matt CliffordVocals, Guitar, Percussion – Mick Jagger

[www.discogs.com]

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: November 16, 2019 21:20

DiegoGlimmerStones

Matt has producer credits for pre-production tracks on "Don't Stop," "Keys to Your Love," "Stealing My Heart," "Streets of Love," "Rain Fall Down," and "Doom and Gloom."

Date: November 16, 2019 21:29

GasLightStreet
These days pre-production (is that like pre-owned cars, just a fancy way of saying demos/used?) counts as being a producer, which Clifford was for Doom And Gloom.

Honestly, while it can refer to rough demos, in many cases these sound nothing like what we're used to from bootlegs. Instead it's like listening to the official release before the rest of the band add their parts. It might be Mick's final vocals on a track with Mick and Matt playing the instruments before it becomes The Rolling Stones.

Here's a great example from the last Kinks session in 1995. Here's Ray's pre-production demo of "To the Bone"

[www.youtube.com]

and here's the finished track released in 1996.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: November 16, 2019 22:17

Who is the blonde chick?

Date: November 16, 2019 22:48

Sophie Lloyd

[www.sophieguitar.com]

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: November 16, 2019 22:54

GasLightStreet
iraq0708
stone66

Again.

True. The Stones have had a hard time keeping up, when they’ve wanted to. The pace of changes has gone to light speed since the early nineties, and that’s why the part of their music that’s supposed to be forward thinking, is already obsolete by the time they get around to getting it on the market. The thing is that today, you shouldn’t try to catch up to trends, but rather make trends by yourself. And that train sailed LONG ago for the Stones. And that’s also why they always will sound like classic Stones whatever they try to do, and also why it’s kind of all right to wait many years between albums.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: November 16, 2019 23:15

JumpingKentFlash
...and that’s why the part of their music that’s supposed to be forward thinking, is already obsolete by the time they get around to getting it on the market. The thing is that today, you shouldn’t try to catch up to trends, but rather make trends by yourself. And that train sailed LONG ago for the Stones. And that’s also why they always will sound like classic Stones whatever they try to do, and also why it’s kind of all right to wait many years between albums.

That's a fear for part of the new album also since Mick said in 2015 he was working on experimental/cutting edge - i.e.trendy - material.
I don't recall what was trendy back in 2015, but whatever it was that ship might have also sailed. Maybe he got it out of his system with Getta Grip/England Lost with their multiple remixes?
The one clip he tweeted " truth" sounded like a Maroon 5 type song ala Moves Like Jagger, but the other bluesy clip sounded like vintage Stones...might expect a mixture of both, and if so can't expect a cohesive album imo.

Date: November 16, 2019 23:57

I think Mick, Keith, Charlie, and Ronnie are just having fun with recording the new album. I hope they can release It In 2020. It will be amazing! thumbs upwinking smileysmileys with beer

Throwback pic from September, 2018 In New York City with Steve Jordan

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: November 16, 2019 23:57

LazarusSmith
Nikkei

TOTALLY AGREE. he's arguably more interested in "dance music" than Keith is but overall he's a very conservative traditional pop composer.
Mick never said he was experimental in what he does. It can be said instead that Mick likes to modernize the sound, while Keith is more conservative in this, but the Rolling Stones have always been the fusion of these lines of thought.

Posted by: LazarusSmith ()
Date: November 17, 2019 00:30

Testify
LazarusSmith
Nikkei

Mick never said he was experimental in what he does. It can be said instead that Mick likes to modernize the sound, while Keith is more conservative in this, but the Rolling Stones have always been the fusion of these lines of thought.

I agree w you but many here claim Mick professes to be 'experimental' or 'cutting edge.' i think many people mean by these terms that something is not 'classic Stones' but there's nothing experimental or cutting edge about the music Mick makes on his own -- it's just the music he likes and some of it would probably not sit well on an album of 'classic Stones' tunes - what heretical chutzpah on his part!

But use of these terms -- when examined closely - is just silly in this context. Was Mick 'experimental' when he wrote Brown Sugar? Was Keith 'experimental' when he wrote Ruby Tuesday? There are plenty of examples of both guys churning out 'classic Stones' and plenty of other examples of both deviating from that formula a bit.

Christ on a cracker it's not like one of them suddenly turns into John Cage when left to his own devices!

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: November 17, 2019 00:45

I think that Mick would want to sound a bit more 'current', at best, not so much experimental. Keith is probably not interested in that at all, therefore he could be called more conservative, but traditional might be a better term.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 17, 2019 02:08

Maybe we should change the topic to "New Stones album for 2020?

Date: November 17, 2019 02:54

LazarusSmith
Testify
LazarusSmith
Nikkei

I agree w you but many here claim Mick professes to be 'experimental' or 'cutting edge.' i think many people mean by these terms that something is not 'classic Stones' but there's nothing experimental or cutting edge about the music Mick makes on his own -- it's just the music he likes and some of it would probably not sit well on an album of 'classic Stones' tunes - what heretical chutzpah on his part!

But use of these terms -- when examined closely - is just silly in this context. Was Mick 'experimental' when he wrote Brown Sugar? Was Keith 'experimental' when he wrote Ruby Tuesday? There are plenty of examples of both guys churning out 'classic Stones' and plenty of other examples of both deviating from that formula a bit.

Christ on a cracker it's not like one of them suddenly turns into John Cage when left to his own devices!

For the record, pretty sure it was Mick himself who claimed his demos for the new album were "experimental" and the actual quote is somewhere in the first 100 pages of of this thread - maybe someone can fine it.

In the meantime, some quotes of the past regarding the new album via timeisonourside.com.

"The next album? Well we just started before Christmas so I mean I don't really - I'm not saying anything about it. And don't ask Ronnie because he'll probably tell you too much! (laughs) I can't say much but there are a lot of different things on this album".- Mick, 2016

"(We'll finish the album) but I don't know when, because you want it to be really good and everything... I hope it's gonna be a very eclectic album. I hope some of it's gonna be recognizable Stones and some of it's gonna be some Stones you never heard before, maybe... I was working on it quite recently. We've got a long way to go, but I think it sounds really great and I'm looking forward to carrying on with that. I hope (next year)... I think it would be nice to do new songs and go in a new direction with them. Maybe not quite as much harmonica"! - Mick, 2016

"I'm working on new songs now" . - Mick. 2017

And there's dozens of more quotes since 2015 from all band members regarding the new album - so many in fact that it could fill up an entire book!
What a long strange thread it's been, but something tells me it's going to stretch much longer before there ever is a new album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-17 02:56 by Hairball.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...388389390391392393394395396397398...LastNext
Current Page: 393 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1964
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home