Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...308309310311312313314315316317318...LastNext
Current Page: 313 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: March 5, 2019 14:52

Doxa....perhaps your best post ever.cool smiley

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: March 5, 2019 15:13

Doxa
runrudolph
I am giving up on the new album. Yeah. Let Keef start doing some songs wuth Steve and release the bugger. New Stones album might take another 2 years.
Jeroen

Yep, a Keith Richards solo album is always a quick deal, Steve and Keef are so fast together. The last time it took just 23 years. That's nothing.

- Doxa
Doxa..
Oh forget it..
Jeroen

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: March 5, 2019 17:36

I love this quote: "It ain't the Stones trying to be the Stones.It's the Stones still trying to be". IMO that's the way this album should be approached.

Date: March 6, 2019 01:39

im hanging on to some posts from Rocky a few weeks back whereby he described a new era in understanding seems to have become apparent between the Glimmers...that's the news...and the excitement....for any new project.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 6, 2019 02:53

There's no need to continue this thread. It's been fun to talk about whatever but there's zero to go on about a new album.

Let this thread die by not posting on it any longer since there's nothing to talk about.

Until something legit, dead.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 6, 2019 03:08

Yeah that's about right GasLight …
it's just page after page of nothing ….

But ya wonder what it'd be like ridin'
shotgun on the Nitroglycerin Wagon with
these panicky bunch of guys …… KABOOM!!!!!!!!!!!

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 6, 2019 04:13

Rockman
Yeah that's about right GasLight …
it's just page after page of nothing ….

But ya wonder what it'd be like ridin'
shotgun on the Nitroglycerin Wagon with
these panicky bunch of guys …… KABOOM!!!!!!!!!!!

It's something for nothing.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 6, 2019 04:45

doitywoik
Hairball
"So it's all in it's early stages..."

Now that I see/read it again - weren't the early stages already discussed a few pages back? Was that the same interview or a different one?

re: sigh: spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

This thread has a way of rehashing itself, and seems even Keith has joined in by recycling the same quotes for multiple interviews regarding the new album.
The same way he says "good to be here, good to be anywhere" on stage...he now seems fond of saying either "early stages", "working on it", or "sounds great" depending on his mood.
Sometime he'll say a combo of two quotes such as "early stages, working on it" or "working on it, sounds great", but I don't think he's ever said all three in the same interview.

Date: March 6, 2019 07:30

But But Hairball can ya tell us
again how much ya love Crosseyed
or how B&L is just an album of covers …… come on man …. we all rehash

ROCKMAN

Date: March 6, 2019 08:14

Of course we all rehash Rockman - even you do - you've said "it's just page after page of nothing" quite a few times now, yet here you are still reading and commenting on it.

Posted by: kuenzer ()
Date: March 6, 2019 13:49

georgelicks
We have a long way to go until we see the album out, the band won't release it until they are 100% satisfied with the material, they were not happy with ABB at the end, so no matter how long it takes with the new one.

What was it they were not happy about with ABB?

Yes, they should take their time. Ideally, the result is then better than what each of them could have produced alone.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: March 6, 2019 14:09

kuenzer
georgelicks
We have a long way to go until we see the album out, the band won't release it until they are 100% satisfied with the material, they were not happy with ABB at the end, so no matter how long it takes with the new one.

What was it they were not happy about with ABB?

Yes, they should take their time. Ideally, the result is then better than what each of them could have produced alone.

Doxa on December 30, 2015, 17:01 on page 44 of this thread
Funny thing to consider is if Keith's claim in LIFE holds true - that Mick would wanted to record the whole album (A BIGGER BANG) again in a proper studio, but Keith and Was vetoed (because they liked the 'raw feel' on it, or something) - what it would have turned to be like? Had it been polished too much and over-produced? Or could the band have found some new spark and angle to the songs, developed them further, and proper musicians playing the proper instruments, etc?

- Doxa

Posted by: kuenzer ()
Date: March 6, 2019 14:34

Witness
Doxa on December 30, 2015, 17:01 on page 44 of this thread
Funny thing to consider is if Keith's claim in LIFE holds true - that Mick would wanted to record the whole album (A BIGGER BANG) again in a proper studio, but Keith and Was vetoed (because they liked the 'raw feel' on it, or something) - what it would have turned to be like? Had it been polished too much and over-produced? Or could the band have found some new spark and angle to the songs, developed them further, and proper musicians playing the proper instruments, etc?

- Doxa

Thanks!

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: March 6, 2019 15:03

Keith about ABB in 2015:

"There's some good stuff on there, but I don't know... There's something about the way it holds together, for me. I don't know if we got the tracks in the right order or something like that. Sometimes, it can make the difference on a record, the way it flows."

Date: March 6, 2019 16:05

ABB suffers from distraction..incoherence...its a mix of everything....B & L is just awesome bc its tight...its alive its them at their core...that's what's been missing....true collaboration...sounds like its happening this time...again that's where the excitement is....and i'm stepping off this thread now....

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: March 6, 2019 23:55

ABB had great reviews when it was released

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: March 7, 2019 06:24

Also Dirty Work had great reviews when it was released and most of you guys don't like the album. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

To me, ABB sounds very coherent, almost too coherent. Uniform sound and production all over, there is not a single song that sticks out in this respect.

Date: March 7, 2019 07:11

There were a couple decent/average tracks on ABB, but for every one of those there were five or six turds to accompany them.
Funny how Keith was disappointed after the fact - I recall him raving about it prior to and upon it's release. Can't blame him fore being overly positive with a recent work, but hindsight is 20/20.
While I've always liked his This Place is Empty, Infamy might be his worst track ever. Streets of Love both studio and live was a lowpoint for the band though - perhaps the all time lowest of their entire catalogue - surprised they decided to release it as a single when it should have been buried in a dust bin. But no matter what the overall low quality of the album is, it was nice to see them have some new material to tour with.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-07 07:13 by Hairball.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: March 7, 2019 07:26

I thought ABB was solid, and I loved the bare bones 'in your face' production.

It was a simple album .. and at the time the production style everybody was looking for or loved was bare bones (that's what we got). The Stones delivered a stripped down, basic, hard hitting record with no apologies and people now gripe? Well .. it's what many wanted from them again.

I think it's a strong record .. a solid record. It rocks. Is it deep .. Is it layered with all these sounds.. Is it complex? Well no (isn't supposed to be .. it's supposed to be opposite from all that).

Keith said the album was screammming at them .. don''t over produce me. It was a basic, stripped down, up front hard hitting rock based album. I really dig it for what it is. Now .. Im ready for something different .. Not sure what.. but something aside from that.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: March 7, 2019 10:54

Hairball
There were a couple decent/average tracks on ABB, but for every one of those there were five or six turds to accompany them.
Funny how Keith was disappointed after the fact - I recall him raving about it prior to and upon it's release. Can't blame him fore being overly positive with a recent work, but hindsight is 20/20.
While I've always liked his This Place is Empty, Infamy might be his worst track ever. Streets of Love both studio and live was a lowpoint for the band though - perhaps the all time lowest of their entire catalogue - surprised they decided to release it as a single when it should have been buried in a dust bin. But no matter what the overall low quality of the album is, it was nice to see them have some new material to tour with.

The problem with ABB was not that it was bad or good. Indeed, some songs are good (personal favorites: Laugh I Nearly Died, Rain Falls Down, Rough Justice, Oh No Not You Again) and some were bad (Infamy (indeed), Sweet Neo Con (which I think is in the top-3 of entire-catalogue lowpoints, together with See What Happens and Back To Zero), and some divide people (I don't think Streets of Love is so bad really). But the real problem with ABB is that it's pointless. That is (IMHO) also the problem with this thread: why indeed even hope for another album?. I don't blame the Stones for this (they don't owe me anything) and I don't think it's Mick's or Keith's or anybody's fault. If Mick and Keith would be on the same page musically and artistically, they might make better albums but it still would be rather pointless. As most albums nowadays are. What is the last time any rock guitar-based album was really fresh, new, exciting, interesting, innovative? It must have been somewhere in the 70s. Punk gave rock music a deserved kick, but it was too shallow to be interesting for more than a year or so. All the rest (grunge, emo, indie, crossover, whatever) has been a repetition of what had already been done. An album of Captain Beefheart of the 70s is more experimental than anything that has been done over the past 30 years. ABB was just: plain, simple, obvious rock music, like so many artists have done. Sure, it has that Stones sound that we love: the Keith-Ronnie weaving, the Charlie Watts touch, Mick's prancing and swagger, but still: no surprise.
Apart from that there is the cultural aspect of what an albums actually means. It were the Beatles, halfway the 60s, which made albums an Important Thing and for about 10 - 15 years, albums were considered the most important way a musician or a band could express themselves. Those days are over. Not for us, because most of us are "old" and still remember the days we bought an album in a record shop and would come home all excited looking at the cover for hours and listening to the album 20 times in a row. But that's just us.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: March 7, 2019 11:01

I dont know the song See what happens.
Jeroen

Date: March 7, 2019 11:25

runrudolph
I dont know the song See what happens.
Jeroen

I have a tendency to abbreviate. I should have written STAT(SWH). Or: Sing This All Together (See What Happens).

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 7, 2019 15:17

matxil

... But the real problem with ABB is that it's pointless. That is (IMHO) also the problem with this thread: why indeed even hope for another album?. ... What is the last time any rock guitar-based album was really fresh, new, exciting, interesting, innovative? It must have been somewhere in the 70s. Punk gave rock music a deserved kick, but it was too shallow to be interesting for more than a year or so. All the rest (grunge, emo, indie, crossover, whatever) has been a repetition of what had already been done. An album of Captain Beefheart of the 70s is more experimental than anything that has been done over the past 30 years. ABB was just: plain, simple, obvious rock music, like so many artists have done. Sure, it has that Stones sound that we love: the Keith-Ronnie weaving, the Charlie Watts touch, Mick's prancing and swagger, but still: no surprise.

Apart from that there is the cultural aspect of what an albums actually means. It were the Beatles, halfway the 60s, which made albums an Important Thing and for about 10 - 15 years, albums were considered the most important way a musician or a band could express themselves. Those days are over. Not for us, because most of us are "old" and still remember the days we bought an album in a record shop and would come home all excited looking at the cover for hours and listening to the album 20 times in a row. But that's just us.

One cannot deny that the market of pop music has changed a lot since the 50/60s. Yet the great majority of pop artists still releases groups of songs in collections that are - in fact - albums even if distributed as downloads, streams or physical copies.

And I am quite sure that they will continue to do so for many years to come. Just like directors will continue to shoot movies (and not only TV series or commercials), writers will continue to write novels (and not only tweets or post on IORR), photographers will continue to shoot photos to be printed (and not only posted on Istagram).

In this context it is not true that the new Stones album will be necessarily pointless. And I don't agree that it can't be good if it lacks the element of "surprise".

It will, if they release a crap album.

It will not if the album turns out to be good.

There are artists that I love that are versatile, others that are not. Miles Davis, Prince, Byrne and Bowie are (were) very versatile, Marley, AC/DC and Motorhead are (were) not. And all of them sold millions of records despite being versatile or conservative, because what counts is the artistic identity/character, not the format.

And when it comes to the stones, to use your own words "the Keith-Ronnie weaving, the Charlie Watts touch, Mick's prancing and swagger" is all that really matters, after all.

C

Date: March 7, 2019 19:05

Why even hope for another album?

Blue and Lonesome gave hope that they could still work together, and make a coherent album w/ no frill production, etc. - but yeah, it was only a covers album.
Crosseyed Heart showed that Keith still has some secrets up his sleeve as far as originals (and a couple great covers), and while not everyone loved that album (same with B&L), there was cohesion and quality throughout.
Seeing as these two were the last two Stones related releases, the hope was they would have continued on this trend, but as time marches on it seems things have run amok turning the entire process into a convoluted quagmire. At least that's the impression after reading the soap opera the last few years. Hitting a wall, starting from scratch, back to zero, starting again, Universal isn't happy, back to the drawing board, some songs suck, others are better, multiple mixes of several tunes, Keith mixes vs. Mick mixes, Getta Grip/England Lost, and "the bugger went ahead and released them"....etc., etc., etc.

BUT...the bottom line is... it's THE ROLLING STONES for crying out loud, and that's why some of us hope for another album!!!
Or even an EP. Or even just a single tune! Or even the piece of crap Mick posted on twitter recently!!! lol

Posted by: ukcal ()
Date: March 7, 2019 19:48

For Crying out loud indeed, mark my words (of a nobody with no inside info)

Double album in September 2019, followed by US no filter part two

with all the songs kicking about, Mick N Keith Solo Albums 2020, giving them time for a final swangsong Album 2022, called 60 and counting

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: March 7, 2019 22:02

WHOOOOHOOOOOO....hot smileydrinking smileysmiling bouncing smiley>grinning smiley<

tongue sticking out smiley

Date: March 7, 2019 22:42

Rockman - even you do - you've said "it's just page after page of nothing" quite a few times now,

AHHHHHHHHHHH ….. REALLY …
shit I need ta find me a new gag writer ….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: CJFP ()
Date: March 7, 2019 23:17

At this point I do not even care if the album is amazing. I just want to hear new Stones music. We get mad at the Stones for not releasing new music and relying on their massive catalog, then we get mad that they released new music. They are damned if they do and damned if they don't. My bet is an album by the end of this year and possibly a single before the tour, that is why there has been no news about them recently.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-07 23:18 by CJFP.

Date: March 7, 2019 23:43

Its funny ta read all the WILD predictions
about the new album on here … someone will
get it right and then they'll be braggin' … see I told ya so …

ROCKMAN

Date: March 8, 2019 10:56

liddas

And when it comes to the stones, to use your own words "the Keith-Ronnie weaving, the Charlie Watts touch, Mick's prancing and swagger" is all that really matters, after all.

Hairball

BUT...the bottom line is... it's THE ROLLING STONES for crying out loud, and that's why some of us hope for another album!!!
Or even an EP. Or even just a single tune! Or even the piece of crap Mick posted on twitter recently!!! lol

I see both your points. Indeed, if they bring out a good album, or even an album with a few good songs, who cares if it's not the best in the world? Who cares if it's not the crown on their career? At least it can provide some fun.
For me, this would be true for any other band (indeed: I enjoy Motorhead and they always did the same), but not for the Stones. Because the Stones for a number of years were special. They were unique. They have an artistic authenticity which made them stand out. Especially their era 68 - 72. And later with with Some Girls and Tattoo You. These are not just their best albums, these are albums that are better than almost any other guitar-based rock album in the world. It's those albums they should be remembered for and I'd think it would be a pity if they would be remembered for what they've doing (as a band) for the past 30 years.
Take the Beatles: they stopped when their band-unity was going down. They are still remembered as the best pop-rock band ever. If they would have continued, bickering, disagreeing, year after year, compromising on their songs, they might have become "just another band", something which now (whether you like them or not) nobody would call them.
But maybe I am exagerating. Picasso's paintings in his last 10 years were not so good but he's still remembered for his early works.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...308309310311312313314315316317318...LastNext
Current Page: 313 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1716
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home