Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...305306307308309310311312313314315...LastNext
Current Page: 310 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: March 1, 2019 19:50

jlowe
Still not sure why no one seems to consider the option of say 7-8 originals and 3-4 covers for the next album.
Are The Stones and its core fans so conservative that they wouldn't accept that?
Eric Clapton has never been a prolific songwriter (though obviously put out more than Mick and Keith in the last 14 years). So he does a mix.
Doesn't lessen the overall feel and quality of the album at all. He even throws in some contemporary work rather than just sticking to blues standards.
Surely Muck and Keith can't be so obsessed with composer royalties after all this time.

i love good creative covers.
or even straight ahead rock and roll covers.
it's part of my favorite Stones experiences.
harlem shuffle is the best thing about dw.
in the old tradition of one great single and a bunch of stfff not so grreeatt.
cuz the drum sound sucks and it's not charlie ;
close but no cigar when the aural experience is painful; steely; awful....they've never made it warmer.
it seems remaster proof; hops gonna have to do it; or one of you
i'll produce remotely from here. Ready?
Make the bass warm. cool that steely snare down; make it thump or throw it in the river...warm. brown...warm....
jeepers i've tried a hundred times; i like the guitars and songs...dang sucks.

tho of course the obvious writing talent went International and Forever.
yeh covers covers;
Not dw: covers.

howz about a thread of albums fans put together of Stones performances that are all non stones written?
has that happened here on IORR a hundred times yet?
oops, sorry; fell into that ol' dw hole. very black hole there.
some of have never returned forget i mentioned it.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-01 19:55 by hopkins.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: March 1, 2019 20:23

jlowe
Still not sure why no one seems to consider the option of say 7-8 originals and 3-4 covers for the next album.

3 reasons I can see:

1) The last album from the Stones was ONLY covers
2) There have been very few Jagger/Richards original compositions in the past 15 years, so we're all STARVING
3) When they're at their best, there is NOTHING that can approach the magic of a Jagger/Richards original

Drew

Posted by: CJFP ()
Date: March 2, 2019 01:13

Ok, Keith just posted on his Instagram! He is in an apartment and out the window is what I think is LA!

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: March 2, 2019 01:15

Maindefender
IanBillen
chatoyancy
Mr. Billen, I am a woman. The project is on Stones time, as they say. I'm very happy they are recording. I can't be objective about their music. I am too involved. On the other hand, I prefer Mick's powerful harmonica to his lightweight shmaltz, and I tell him so every chance I get. I've known them a long time. There's still a future. Time is on our side.

Jane (...Hmmmmm? .. there is only one Jane I know from The Stones current camp). You have a way with words Ms. Chatoyancy. We may be on Stones time .. but The Stones are on borrowed time, Madam. We've heard about this album for three or four years and they have been working on it for three or four years .. Still no concrete news.

Would be nice if there was an indication on when they plan on releasing the puppy (from them .. not meaning you). Lots of touring .. lots of movie things .. etc. lots of everything over the last 15 years.. but not much focus on a new studio product of original material?

If they still want to have the title as a viable act .. and not pure nostalgia / Vegas style greatest hits touring outfit .. they should put out new, original music more versus three albums over the last 25 years (other older acts do) ... You seem to tell them a piece of your mind .. so if you feel like it .. you can tell them that and that 'we' said so ... smiling smiley With respect.

Respectfully Ian who is the “we” you reference, you and Hairball? On the other hand great to read chatoyancy’s album progression...thumbs up

I'm amazed at how many of us spoke against the Stones and criticized them for starting to become nothing more than a greatest hit's package and you're tying to imply it was only me and Hairball(?) If you are referencing my comment on my wishing they would put out more music than simply three albums in the last 25 years I'd say almost the entire board wishes that. That is where the 'we' reference came in.

Has been about half of the members of this board who spoke out in this same description. Heck .. I'm one of the few who think they can actually deliver another great album.

As far as the Stones 'owing' ... Well they didn't borrow 50 bucks from me so maybe I wouldn't say I think they owe me .. but I AM 'expecting' one (why wouldn't I be?). After all .. they are showing us they are working on a record via their social media ...and they keep mentioning it .. and they keep saying one is coming .. and they have a multi-million dollar record deal = Yes I expect one and .... asking for a simple possible release time frame is not going to hard on those 'poor' 'picked on' ..'family time deprived' Rolling Stones .. .. Yeeesh smiling smiley

I'm not going to cut them a break .. (why should I?). If it was any other act .. young or old I'd say the same exact thing.. Probably worse!

For the record .. I still consider them a viable act (but many here .. yes .. far more than just Hairball and one other almost don't). I'd say I am razor thin close to categorizing em as a greatest hits package at this point myself.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-02 01:24 by IanBillen.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 2, 2019 01:22

Oh dear Ian your faith is waning ……

ROCKMAN

Date: March 2, 2019 01:27

Rockman

Until I hear a season (doesn't have to be a month) .. just a season and a year from them I will gripe. As soon as I hear a season (ex: 'some time in the fall, 2019') ... or something I will gripe. It's not asking much. (I am not really 'asking them' ..mind you .. Im not crazy Lol .. I mean who the hell am I and how the hell would they know about me anyway? .. Im simply saying I wish they would be upfront about it at this point).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-02 01:28 by IanBillen.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 2, 2019 01:36

There will be an album and
there will be a riot in The Bunker ……

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 2, 2019 04:29

Ian Billen
I'm amazed at how many of us spoke against the Stones and criticized them for starting to become nothing more than a greatest hit's package and you're tying to imply it was only me and Hairball(?)

Becoming? Don't fool yourself Ian - they've been a 'greatest hits package' for many years now in a live setting. I've not only learned to accept it, but have come to fully expect it. Yes they added a new blues cover to their set, and before that they played Doom and Gloom or One More Shot...and occasionally they'll throw in a 'rarity' like Dancing with Mr. D. (lol), but really...a majority of the setlists are 'greatest hits' that are decades old, and it's been that way for some time now. While a new album will be nice some day, I don't think it will change their 'greatest hits package' status as they would probably only play one tune from it anyways, or maybe two at the most. Even Mick has accepted the status and it's probably part of the reason he's in no hurry to release new Stones material - here's what he said back in 2013::

"It would be nice to have a new album, but people don't like the new album when you play it on stage.
They glumly look at you. OK, it will be over in a minute. It's not a good excuse, but it's the truth and has to be said".

Given the fact there's no new album before the upcoming tour - not even a new single - it will be more of the same nostalgia, ie a 'greatest hits package' give or take a blues cover and/or some 'rarity' ala Fool to Cry (lol).
But again, even if they had a new album, only one or maybe two new songs would be played from it. Best to accept it all, and enjoy it for what it is. Personally, I look forward to hearing some of those 'greatest hits' again, but would be thrilled if the setlists were made up of tunes they've never played - both new and old. But the reality is they have nothing left to prove and are basically resting on their laurels by basking in past glories and coasting to the delight of many in attendance. Some day they will put out a new album, but don't think that will have any impact on their status as a 'greatest hits package'.

Date: March 2, 2019 06:53

Hairball
Ian Billen
I'm amazed at how many of us spoke against the Stones and criticized them for starting to become nothing more than a greatest hit's package and you're tying to imply it was only me and Hairball(?)

Becoming? Don't fool yourself Ian - they've been a 'greatest hits package' for many years now in a live setting. I've not only learned to accept it, but have come to fully expect it. Yes they added a new blues cover to their set, and before that they played Doom and Gloom or One More Shot...and occasionally they'll throw in a 'rarity' like Dancing with Mr. D. (lol), but really...a majority of the setlists are 'greatest hits' that are decades old, and it's been that way for some time now. While a new album will be nice some day, I don't think it will change their 'greatest hits package' status as they would probably only play one tune from it anyways, or maybe two at the most. Even Mick has accepted the status and it's probably part of the reason he's in no hurry to release new Stones material - here's what he said back in 2013::

"It would be nice to have a new album, but people don't like the new album when you play it on stage.
They glumly look at you. OK, it will be over in a minute. It's not a good excuse, but it's the truth and has to be said".

Given the fact there's no new album before the upcoming tour - not even a new single - it will be more of the same nostalgia, ie a 'greatest hits package' give or take a blues cover and/or some 'rarity' ala Fool to Cry (lol).
But again, even if they had a new album, only one or maybe two new songs would be played from it. Best to accept it all, and enjoy it for what it is. Personally, I look forward to hearing some of those 'greatest hits' again, but would be thrilled if the setlists were made up of tunes they've never played - both new and old. But the reality is they have nothing left to prove and are basically resting on their laurels by basking in past glories and coasting to the delight of many in attendance. Some day they will put out a new album, but don't think that will have any impact on their status as a 'greatest hits package'.

I realize they have been on a warhorse / greatest hits package schmeil since 97 BUT with a new album and two new tunes per show .. I consider them playing new songs .. I'd be ok with that. A new album is all I want. Play a couple songs from it a show and to me .. for a 50 year old act with an unmatched catalog of several eras and many releases (and classics) ...that's perfectly understandable. I don't need them to necessarily play four songs from it a show .. two is ok .. AS long as we get a new album and a couple songs are included in the set. That is fine by me (considering who they are and the massive amount of their stuff ..and considering the 12-14 songs they almost HAVE to play every show).

Date: March 2, 2019 06:58

Yes Ian that would have been great to have a new album prior to the tour so they could play one or two new tunes from it, but alas I guess it was not meant to be.
Maybe the new album will be ready before their next tour - if there is a next tour?

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: March 2, 2019 08:12

i think they will premiere a new song somewhere among this relatively small groupings of show dates. well I guess it's reguar for them now; and understandable if they want to go out in two or three month bursts; i'm sure that's uber demanding for even younger stage performers. sure, wishful thinking and all that; but what the hey, that's my prediction. i had 'inside info' (that I made up) in hopes of my firm, knowing and sure prediction of a New original Stones album in time for last years HOliday Sales. I made sure to go 'on the record' with that here; to shut you all down deep fans...
(we know there are Always fake surprises; like the 'pick your semi-warhorse' lotteries...i LOVE THOSE !! "WOW, theu're doing Start Me Up!!hot smiley, GIMME THE FRICKEN CAMERA ZELDA!!! !!! ")
eye rolling smiley"

oops.
...maybe that funkah funkah funky "Tell The Truth" thing; I was sort of disapointed that more of us here didn't take to that with a lot of satisfaction, no pun intended, because to me it showed hard work; the guy in great shape; a really cool track with excellent hook and harmonies. it had funk and groove; ok a little poppy i guess, that's Good; pop u larry baby.
but i seriously liked that little bit of song and performance. I can't see folks launching off too much of a criticism that would be negative, as i found it very encouaging; which at this stage of the game is pretty impressive and should be enouraged and received warmly; it was a fine trak; i wish i had the single. if it's gonna be a single, or on the record, sigh, if there's a record...and on we go...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-02 08:15 by hopkins.

Date: March 2, 2019 09:31

Rockman

Not so much my faith .. I still have faith they can deliver the goods .. but my patience has worn thin is all ... Ha

confused smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-02 09:32 by IanBillen.

Posted by: tiffanyblu ()
Date: March 2, 2019 10:51

IanBillen
Hairball
Ian Billen

I realize they have been on a warhorse / greatest hits package schmeil since 97 BUT with a new album and two new tunes per show .. I consider them playing new songs .. I'd be ok with that. A new album is all I want. Play a couple songs from it a show and to me .. for a 50 year old act with an unmatched catalog of several eras and many releases (and classics) ...that's perfectly understandable. I don't need them to necessarily play four songs from it a show .. two is ok .. AS long as we get a new album and a couple songs are included in the set. That is fine by me (considering who they are and the massive amount of their stuff ..and considering the 12-14 songs they almost HAVE to play every show).

One other thing is of course that they have become predictable since they only play the same greatest hits every night and that combined with 19 songs make it more hard to spice the setlist. The 12-14 songs could switch a bit. Today it is rare to hear WH, Angie, TLT, BoB, AaA, DF, HYSYMB, LIS, ME, MM etc. which for me is kind of strange since people are Messing out on such great songs (I mean look at spotify 4/10 most listened Stones songs is never or rarely played.

That put a side we do need some new material and 1-2 songs per concert. Not cut down to one after 5 concerts. Stick to 2 - for iorrs sakesmiling smiley

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: March 2, 2019 12:43

I'm very tired, it's 4.30am here, what are:

TLT, AaA, HYSYMB, ME?

Also, Hopkins, I really dug that 'Really Wanna Tell the Truth' snippet too! In fact I might go and listen to it right now.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: March 2, 2019 12:58

"Really wanna tell the truth" is not a real song, is a message from Jagger about a secret, something that we would like to know but that he can't say a single word. Maybe an announce, maybe the date of the new album, maybe some hidden secret from his relationship with Richards, maybe about the end of the band....................

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: March 2, 2019 13:28

Maybe about his upcoming marriage.
Jeroen

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: March 2, 2019 14:33

Well! We hope they will continue like this for years!

Date: March 2, 2019 16:14

For over 300 pages you been carrying the torch, Ian. Don't give up now. You're like Ali at the '96 Olympics: battered, but proud, and ultimately in triumph, LOL. You will win in the end.
The only common denom-inator in this mountain. You might get a name who hangs with you for 50 pages or so, and then gives up. But like I said a while back: when the album finally does come out, it better read a "Thanks to Ian Billen" in those credits.

PS on a completely different note: why insist on chatoyancy's identity?

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: March 2, 2019 19:44

jlowe

Are you sure it has never been considered here? eye popping smiley I was pretty convinced we already had considered every possible option including its opposite. winking smiley

Personally, I'd have no problem with such a release. Still better than no release at all, and still better than a release featuring only covers and no originals. But imagine how long it might take them to agree on 3 or 4 covers, not to speak of the mixes.

IanBillen
Until I hear a season (doesn't have to be a month) .. just a season and a year from them I will gripe.

Isn't that what's happening all the time anyway? It's always "next season next year" - than can be projected infinitely into the future ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-02 19:47 by doitywoik.

Date: March 2, 2019 20:33

Palace Revolution 2000
For over 300 pages you been carrying the torch, Ian. Don't give up now. You're like Ali at the '96 Olympics: battered, but proud, and ultimately in triumph, LOL. You will win in the end.
The only common denom-inator in this mountain. You might get a name who hangs with you for 50 pages or so, and then gives up. But like I said a while back: when the album finally does come out, it better read a "Thanks to Ian Billen" in those credits.

PS on a completely different note: why insist on chatoyancy's identity?

Lol ... Well thanks mate... I wish I could reap in some of the sale dolla's from it! grinning smiley

I was never insisting or prying on Ms. Chatoyancy's identity at all. I didn't even care of she was manor woman (it just came out bc I took it for grant it she was a male in the beginning.. that was my fault). She's here and comments and that's plenty cool enough for me. I initially thought that 'SHE' mentioned her name was 'Jane' (it was someone else). So I was just responding as in 'Jane huh .. ? Interesting' .. and then I moved on.

Cheers!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-02 20:35 by IanBillen.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: March 2, 2019 20:49

Yeah i thought it was Jane. Maybe its one of Keefs daughters.
Does not matter really..or does it.
Jeroen

Date: March 2, 2019 21:54

doitywoik
jlowe

Are you sure it has never been considered here? eye popping smiley I was pretty convinced we already had considered every possible option including its opposite. winking smiley

Personally, I'd have no problem with such a release. Still better than no release at all, and still better than a release featuring only covers and no originals. But imagine how long it might take them to agree on 3 or 4 covers, not to speak of the mixes.

IanBillen
Until I hear a season (doesn't have to be a month) .. just a season and a year from them I will gripe.

Isn't that what's happening all the time anyway? It's always "next season next year" - than can be projected infinitely into the future ...

I mean someone from their camp says (Keith ... I mean...er... wait ..nm .. he says lots lol but most of it is 'hopeful' not concrete, their representative or Mick or Don Was says 'we plan on a release this fall' ... or 'late summer' .. THIS year... not 'next year' I want a time frame THIS year. I don't see how Hairball can be ok with projecting a 2021-2022 release (and he is actually serious lol) .. and willing to be fine with it if need be. That's crazy. I tell ya ...He has the patience of a Saint ... bless his soul.

I will gripe because it's like this ongoing thing ... that's just always there in the 'back-ground' of their focus and daily endeavors. What ever happened to putting an album in the foreground? ... ...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-02 21:59 by IanBillen.

Date: March 2, 2019 22:22

runrudolph
Yeah i thought it was Jane. Maybe its one of Keefs daughters.
Does not matter really..or does it.
Jeroen

I would say it doesn't. Whoever they are in reality is a blessing to have them come and shed a small gleam of light on the situation. I'd never ask anyone to spill all / the entire load of beans ... It wouldn't be cool for them to do .. Giving us as much as they want or feel comfy with is a blessing and a bonus.

I just hope she comes BACK! ha..

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: March 2, 2019 22:26

runrudolph
Jeroen

Do you think a 75 year old man is going to show up @ church in a tuxedo?
Kids, work, legally binding papers,
He seems married already.
Off limits to me, anyhow don’t mind me slightly depressed, it’s my b-day think Eliz Jagger shares same one, just a gal thing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-02 22:28 by 35love.

Posted by: chatoyancy ()
Date: March 2, 2019 23:53

Keith is in the same place he's been for a month, with piano.

Posted by: rbp ()
Date: March 2, 2019 23:54

They could play a couple of songs off the new album on tour even if they haven't been released yet. That would be cool and a big surprise for fans.

Date: March 3, 2019 00:04

Ian Billen
I don't see how Hairball can be ok with projecting a 2021-2022 release (and he is actually serious lol) .. and willing to be fine with it if need be. That's crazy. I tell ya ...He has the patience of a Saint ... bless his soul.

I am half serious about 2021-2022, and am half willing to be fine with it if that's how long it takes. In other words I have mixed feelings about it all, but what can anyone do about it?
Coming up on 15 LONG years without an album of originals, you sort of get used to it...eye rolling smiley...but 2021-2022 will be here in the blink of an eye. It could be sooner or it could be later...hell if I know (nobody knows!), but I'll continue to look forward to it. At the snails pace they're working though, we could still be here as grumpy old men rehashing the same things we've been doing for 310 pages while still waiting and wondering about a new album! And Keith will still be telling us through interview snippets "working on it, sounds great..." grinning smiley

Meanwhile. there's always plenty of good old Stones albums to enjoy. I'm in the process of going through their catalogue again semi-chronologically slowly but surely from the very beginning up to Undercover,
mixed in with some essential boots and all of Keith's solo albums. Unbelievable how much great material they've produced, and it helps to ease the frustration of yearning for a new Stones album that's due out in 2023 lol.winking smiley

rbp
They could play a couple of songs off the new album on tour even if they haven't been released yet. That would be cool and a big surprise for fans.

Yes...please. thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-03 00:06 by Hairball.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: March 3, 2019 00:23

On a lighter note i was amused to see Keith still rides trial bikes. smoking smiley
[jalopnik.com]

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: March 3, 2019 01:00

CJFP
Ok, Keith just posted on his Instagram! He is in an apartment and out the window is what I think is LA!

Got a link please.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: March 3, 2019 02:30

35love
runrudolph
Jeroen

Do you think a 75 year old man is going to show up @ church in a tuxedo?
Kids, work, legally binding papers,
He seems married already.
Off limits to me, anyhow don’t mind me slightly depressed, it’s my b-day think Eliz Jagger shares same one, just a gal thing.

Although, Mr. Rupert Murdoch showed up splendidly for Jerry Hall, what a classy wedding we had the pictures here on IORR while the RS toured South America 2016.
So forgive me my ‘ageism’
Dazzling Jerry Hall
any songs from Mick ;-) grinning smileysmileys with beer

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...305306307308309310311312313314315...LastNext
Current Page: 310 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1721
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home