Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...303304305306307308309310311312313...LastNext
Current Page: 308 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Date: February 26, 2019 22:44

Doxa
TheflyingDutchman
Hairball
When the Stones shine Keith shines, and when Keith shines the Stones shine.
When the Stones shine Mick shines, and when Mick shines the Stones shine.
(quickly repeat both of the above 5 times in a row, and they eventually intermingle ha)
Can't really have one shining much brighter without the other and expect great Stones music (in most cases)- in other words two heads are better than one.
Of course they can shine on their own to varying degrees with their solo work, but for great Stones music both need to shine brightly as was the case in their glory years (again in most cases)- imo.
For me personally, I believe Keith shines quite brightly with all of his solo material, while with Mick sometimes it's just a dim bulb. Again imo, and not trying to re-ignite a war!

The Stones were much bigger than Keith and Mick only, especially when Taylor, Jones and Wyman (and Wood) where still in the band. Maybe the current line- up with all their guest players should think out of the box and blast out something that isn't strictly Keith-Jagger proof. Must possible after 55+ years of existence.

I think you guys don't recall the Keith quote I was referring to. It is from the early 70's - I guess around EXILE-era - in which Keith simply says "I shine when the band shines". In the same context he says that he doesn't give a damn about Eric Claptons or other shining lead guitarists, because 'none of those guys can keep that that rhythm down-down-down' (or something to the effect).

To me that's always been the philosophy of Keith Richards I admire most in him - he doesn't need to individually shine or to be distinguished, but when the band - or a song - as a whole shines he knows he is doing his job right. That's band leading (and musical directing) at best. That's also the reason I was (partly) moved by BLUE & LONESOME - the band sounding like one big organ, the whole being much more than the sum of its parts. Hadn't heard that for years if not even for decades. Keith was doing his part more than fine, and I am sure smiling all the way through the process. That's his Rolling Stones. If some of his hardcore fans here (no names) had entered to the studio to see them working on those blues covers and having asked 'hey Keef, why don't you play more solos or sing individually some song' he would most likely met with a death cold stare (if not a blade) with a reply 'man, you don't know a shit about me or The Rolling Stones. Listen @#$%& what we do now. I have not managed to make these guys sound so awesome for ages. This is what I do'. grinning smiley

- Doxa

Keith was both the driving force behind the Stones' sound and at the same time a self indulgent personality- hence his remarks on Clapton, Led Zeppelin and Taylor etc. Wasn't it Jagger who said "Keith wanted to protect his songs"-in relationship to Taylor?
Quite a few songs sound like the Stones without Keith- think of Sway. That's Jagger in open G -I only found it out after 30 years! Still Keith called Jagger a bad rhythm player at the time. Statistically +- 90% it's Keith that creates the signature Stones' guitarsound in the studio , live I don't know, it's more a matter of taste, although Keith creates the most one dimensional but great noise grinning smiley on stage. I'm talking the Taylor years here in particular. Btw, I didn't know you were a Keithette, Doxa? Suits You.! thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-27 00:09 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: February 27, 2019 01:21

....then he should use that craft..or step aside. I think that's what Mick's been saying....seems like they're on the same page now...lets see...excited to hear the results.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: February 27, 2019 03:50

Rip This
....then he should use that craft..or step aside. I think that's what Mick's been saying....seems like they're on the same page now...lets see...excited to hear the results.

thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: February 27, 2019 11:40

Rip This

Keith should step aside ?
Why on earth should Keith step aside, Crosseyed Heart was a big surprise to me, i didn't think Keith could still make music to that level, if Mick can't get the best out of Keith then Mick should step aside.
As for Keith playing live i thought he held his end up pretty well last year.

Date: February 27, 2019 11:41

Maindefender
Keith is still a master craftsman. His musical philosophical needle really hasn't swayed very much since '63.

thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 27, 2019 12:03

Master craftsman? A couple of years ago many here wondered if he could play the guitar at all. Some even suggested him to take basic guitar lessons...

Date: February 27, 2019 12:21

Stoneage
Master craftsman? A couple of years ago many here wondered if he could play the guitar at all. Some even suggested him to take basic guitar lessons...

In the studio he still has his craft, as for live at age 76 this year he manages to hold it together, JUST.
I mean Clapton is greatly diminished live, Mick can't sing like he used to.
Keith was much better live last year and i expect to see him improve on that with his continued sobriety, come on man we all get old.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: February 27, 2019 14:06

We all get old..great song by Ronnie.
Jeroen

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: February 27, 2019 15:05

it's the end of february 2019.
hey, anywhere an actual official statement that a new stones album
for 2019 will actually be released?
in an official statement from their own auspices I mean.
?

Date: February 27, 2019 15:41

hopkins
?

Haha ha wait another year.they will still be at it.
Jeroen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-27 20:30 by runrudolph.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 27, 2019 20:52

keithsman
Stoneage

In the studio he still has his craft, as for live at age 76 this year he manages to hold it together, JUST.
Keith was much better live last year and i expect to see him improve on that with his continued sobriety, come on man we all get old.

I think the criticism Keith has gotten here, for the most part, has been accurate: he had an awful time on the BANG tour, then fell off the tree branch and banged his head and things degraded more after that, with his heavy drinking and whatever, to the point of writing a book that had some things in it that were completely unnecessary.

They probably should've cancelled the rest of the BANG tour but seeing that they'd get the shit sued out of them...

It seems that he got his playing under control enough, hence the Stones playing live from 2012-2018, but on studio recordings he's doing less work, Ronnie is doing the busy playing, Keith playing his favorite licks here and there but mostly easing back on just rhythm as BLUE AND LONESOME revealed, and live he's decent, with some wonky timing and the odd screw up here and there, with Start Me Up at both Hyde Park shows seemingly the weirdest screw up he's ever done considering it was both nights, the same song. I get all the other screw ups over the years but those two... wow. That's just bad.

At this point, whatever. I was pleased to see the few videos of Dancing With Mr D from last year, Keith playing it fantastically, so he's fine, for the most part.

Date: February 27, 2019 21:06

runrudolph
hopkins
?

Haha ha wait another year.they will still be at it.
Jeroen

Thank You.
Carry on, all. drinking smiley
i'm here for the boogie blues,
the more they make me wait ther more old stuff i find.
1950 and 1951 stuff actually. it's supersonic propulsive;
amazing stuff. i'm gonna rock no matter what.
i like blues boogie stuff; without that i would not have fallen
so deeply for them.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-27 21:20 by hopkins.

Date: February 27, 2019 21:14

Chew on this....Sometimes great work happens by accident or through many repetitions. Sometimes it happens through collaboration or through great planning. But being a master of one's craft is something else entirely. Being a master of a craft has less to do with the end product and more to do with the process

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: February 27, 2019 21:37

Maindefender
Chew on this....Sometimes great work happens by accident or through many repetitions. Sometimes it happens through collaboration or through great planning. But being a master of one's craft is something else entirely. Being a master of a craft has less to do with the end product and more to do with the process

Chewed.
Best to be Master of your own domain.
Hmm. Deep thoughts WHERE’S THE MUSIC??

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 27, 2019 22:07

GasLightStreet
keithsman
Stoneage

At this point, whatever. I was pleased to see the few videos of Dancing With Mr D from last year, Keith playing it fantastically, so he's fine, for the most part.

Yes, millions of fans paid a King's ransom over six years to hear Keith knock off layers of rust. You can barely hear him on Blue and Lonesome. Wood did all the heavy lifting. I don't think anyone goes to a Stones concert to hear them play well anymore. It's a nostalgia trip.

Date: February 27, 2019 22:35

35love
Maindefender

Chewed.

Here's the music if you dare..I love these guys!!
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: February 27, 2019 23:06

Maindefender
35love
Maindefender

Chewed.

Here's the music if you dare..I love these guys!!
[www.youtube.com]

*laugh ‘I’m mastering my craft’.
Craft: skill used in deceiving others, or skill in making things especially with the hands.
No crafts to master, no nostalgia trips for me
GLS quote:
‘I don't think anyone goes to a Stones concert to hear them play well anymore. It's a nostalgia trip.’
I have nothing to be nostalgic about.
My favorite music being played live in front of me by the actual guys is a million times better than thru my CD’s, radio, vinyl fricking utube tinny tiny phone.
It’s BAM! and ‘now’ to get it blasted in your face right thru you while you’re standing there. And say, maybe shake a tail feather too.
I dig it.

Date: February 27, 2019 23:38

Right. The stones gigs are wham bham in your Face. At least they were in 2017 n 2018. They still are @#$%& great.
Jeroen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-27 23:38 by runrudolph.

Date: February 28, 2019 02:05

GasLightStreet
keithsman
Stoneage

I think the criticism Keith has gotten here, for the most part, has been accurate: he had an awful time on the BANG tour, then fell off the tree branch and banged his head and things degraded more after that, with his heavy drinking and whatever, to the point of writing a book that had some things in it that were completely unnecessary.

They probably should've cancelled the rest of the BANG tour but seeing that they'd get the shit sued out of them...

It seems that he got his playing under control enough, hence the Stones playing live from 2012-2018, but on studio recordings he's doing less work, Ronnie is doing the busy playing, Keith playing his favorite licks here and there but mostly easing back on just rhythm as BLUE AND LONESOME revealed, and live he's decent, with some wonky timing and the odd screw up here and there, with Start Me Up at both Hyde Park shows seemingly the weirdest screw up he's ever done considering it was both nights, the same song. I get all the other screw ups over the years but those two... wow. That's just bad.

Maybe it was just me but i thought that second screw up on SMU must have been on purpose, for what reason i have no idea, maybe he was fed up with SMU as an opener, he was playing very well at that point at the Hyde Park shows, i just got the feeling he was sending a message lol.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 28, 2019 03:03

'None of those guys can hold that that rhythm down …..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: chatoyancy ()
Date: February 28, 2019 03:10

I think most of the Stones are still recording.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: February 28, 2019 03:11

when Chantoyancy speaks, we listen!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 28, 2019 03:53

chatoyancy
I think most of the Stones are still recording.

thumbs up

Shoulders to the wheel boyz...noses to the grindstone...eyes on the ball...hammer away..., etc....there's still some hope!

Posted by: chatoyancy ()
Date: February 28, 2019 03:59

Except Mick went to a wild Oscars party and he was dancing with Al Pacino and Leo DiCaprio, at a private house in Beverly Hills.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 28, 2019 04:28

Must have been quite a scene....smiling smiley

Meanwhile Keith, Charlie, and Ronnie holed up in a studio taking care of business.

Posted by: TKinOH ()
Date: February 28, 2019 04:45

I never saw any pics of Mick last weekend at the Vanity Fair Oscars after-party or from elsewhere... Anyone got a shot or link?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 28, 2019 06:02

TKinOH
I never saw any pics of Mick last weekend at the Vanity Fair Oscars after-party or from elsewhere... Anyone got a shot or link?

I dunno.

“I just let Melanie do her thing,” said Mick Jagger of his latest project: a ballet set to the tunes of The Rolling Stones. He’s referring to his partner who he shares a son with, the American Ballet Theater corps de ballet member, Melanie Hamrick. “She picked all the songs and did all of the choreography.”

[www.vogue.com]

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: February 28, 2019 08:31

Wait a second .. I'd say the question is this .. how do we know Hairball isn't withholding some very valuable information on this album's content and progress? How do we know he's simply a bystander like the rest of us? How do we know he hasn't sat in on some of the sessions .. or had lunch with Keith Richards in discussing the albums progress?

I'm making some phone calls in the morning and I plan on finding out if and / or EXACTLY what he's hiding from us. If I find out he's holding out on us .. there will be hell to pay!

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: February 28, 2019 08:34

Oh yeah,
Hairball was at that party too, dancing with Mick cheek to cheek, and Mick sang the whole album into his ear! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: February 28, 2019 08:43

Mick dipped and Hairball swerved.
that's all i'm gonna say about it.
good party tho.
i asked a cuppla hotties if they wanted to go for it on the dance floor
yesss
they said
nooooo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-01 19:20 by hopkins.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...303304305306307308309310311312313...LastNext
Current Page: 308 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1315
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home