Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...128129130131132133134135136137138...LastNext
Current Page: 133 of 704
Re: Another Stones studio album in 2018
Posted by: slewan ()
Date: February 15, 2018 23:02

DandelionPowderman
slewan
DandelionPowderman
How could Keith be absent on Angie?

don't ask me, ask him…
Well, he played some acoustic guitar at the begining but soon Chuck took over and most of the rest of the song is heavily keyboard based.Keith can hardly be heard during most of the song.
I used to call that show a 'Chuck Levell night'

The recording that was posted here didn't sound like that. Maybe you were in a bad spot, sound-wise?

I was in the pit, Keith's side.
here's a video of Angie – just tell me where his acoustic guitar is after two minitues into the song: [www.youtube.com]

Date: February 15, 2018 23:37

slewan
DandelionPowderman
slewan
DandelionPowderman

don't ask me, ask him…
Well, he played some acoustic guitar at the begining but soon Chuck took over and most of the rest of the song is heavily keyboard based.Keith can hardly be heard during most of the song.

The recording that was posted here didn't sound like that. Maybe you were in a bad spot, sound-wise?

here's a video of Angie – just tell me where his acoustic guitar is after two minitues into the song: [www.youtube.com]

I can hear him fine throughout.. confused smiley

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: February 15, 2018 23:41

Everywhere...?

Date: February 15, 2018 23:42

Bjorn
Everywhere...?

You can never hear anyone everywhere, it's a band smiling smiley

Date: February 16, 2018 11:37

Please, don´t...you know what I mean...I´m too much of a poet..to keep it clean...

Date: February 16, 2018 11:42

Bjorn
Please, don´t...you know what I mean...I´m too much of a poet..to keep it clean...

OK, let's be specific, then.

This was claimed: «just tell me where his acoustic guitar is after two minitues into the song»

Keith's guitar can be heard, and is indeed highlighted at times, after the two minute-mark.

The middle section with the keyboard solo and the strings has been like that since 1989, so it's hardly surprising that the acoustic guitars aren't high up in the soundscape during those seconds.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-16 11:45 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: February 16, 2018 17:34

Eh? What´s the problem? What do you think I don´t understand? I have ears! Angie, Paris 2! You don´t have to be specific! I agreeee totally!!!

Have a nice evening.

Date: February 16, 2018 18:02

Bjorn
Eh? What´s the problem? What do you think I don´t understand? I have ears! Angie, Paris 2! You don´t have to be specific! I agreeee totally!!!

Have a nice evening.

Why didn't you say so? smiling smiley

The same to you, sir.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: February 18, 2018 16:39

Just listening to Gotta Get A Grip / England Lost.
I'm sure Mick had a lot of fun and a big smile by creating this (which actually sounds more like the Stones could but is denied here).
Mick also knows that his enthusiasm will not be met with the others - or probably Keith only!
Knowing that almost all productivity is on me I wouldn't like to work with them, too...

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: February 18, 2018 16:51

slewan
DandelionPowderman

don't ask me, ask him…

Oh Slew, I gotta say something here. I was at Paris 2, from my very close to the stage perspective, and as a hardcore fan who has never liked the song ‘Angie’
it was magnificent. From Keith’s gorgeous acoustic guitar start, and thereafter Mick’s soulful perfect vocal. Enchanting.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 18, 2018 17:45

slewan
DandelionPowderman
slewan
DandelionPowderman

don't ask me, ask him…

I could hear it just fine.

That's a pretty damn good version of Angie!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 18, 2018 17:50

JJHMick
I'm sure Mick had a lot of fun and a big smile by creating this (which actually sounds more like the Stones could but is denied here).
Mick also knows that his enthusiasm will not be met with the others - or probably Keith only!
Knowing that almost all productivity is on me I wouldn't like to work with them, too...

It's just more Might As Well Get Juiced. Although better than that crap song, there's nothing about Gotta Get A Grip that's good. England Lost is the more interesting of the two but there's nothing significant about either, really.

So yeah, that kind of work is all on Mick. Mick already had MAWGJ done. So of course Keith would say something like "Actually, I had very little to do with (the Dust Brothers). I'm like, What do you want me to do? And they're like, Oh, just do what you always do. I'm thinking, That's PRODUCING?"

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: February 18, 2018 23:45

GasLightStreet
JJHMick

It's just more Might As Well Get Juiced. Although better than that crap song, there's nothing about Gotta Get A Grip that's good. England Lost is the more interesting of the two but there's nothing significant about either, really.

So yeah, that kind of work is all on Mick. Mick already had MAWGJ done. So of course Keith would say something like "Actually, I had very little to do with (the Dust Brothers). I'm like, What do you want me to do? And they're like, Oh, just do what you always do. I'm thinking, That's PRODUCING?"

Might As Well supports my point: The producTIVITY is on Mick almost only.
Help me remembering: If not Keith "I a am happy to be anywhere instead of there" Richards, didn't Charlie and Ronnie play on the two songs?!
Mick should remember Keith that he was absent on some occasions in the past (Heaven, Moonlight Mile) and didn't complain about - though especially these two don't SOUND (sorry, forgot it in first draft)like the Stones.
With the Jagger double (twce as much as a single): I hear Mick playing harmonica. I hear guitar riffing from the Stones Bachelor class. I hear him fighting with his words with immense energy. If you strip the song down to its composition you have Jagger/Richards songs.
You are mislead by some (not the over all) sounds. Today, I heard the new U2 single. The sounds make it interesting as the chorus is rather poor.
Back to Might As Well Get Juiced: That was Mick doing a Led Zeppelin impersonation as Mick Taylor did a Carlos Santana one on Can't You Hear Me knocking (oh, drop that last paragraph, I'm exhausted from working though it's Sunday and still officially weekend to me too).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-19 10:58 by JJHMick.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: February 19, 2018 03:33

JJHMick
GasLightStreet
JJHMick

Might As Well supports my point: The producTIVITY is on Mick almost only.
Help me remembering: If not Keith "I a am happy to be anywhere instead of there" Richards, didn't Charlie and Ronnie play on the two songs?!
Mick should remember Keith that he was absent on some occasions in the past (Heaven, Moonlight Mile) and didn't complain about - though especially these two don't like the Stones.
With the Jagger double (twce as much as a single): I hear Mick playing harmonica. I hear guitar riffing from the Stones Bachelor class. I hear him fighting with his words with immense energy. If you strip the song down to its composition you have Jagger/Richards songs.
You are mislead by some (not the over all) sounds. Today, I heard the new U2 single. The sounds make it interesting as the chorus is rather poor.
Back to Might As Well Get Juiced: That was Mick doing a Led Zeppelin impersonation as Mick Taylor did a Carlos Santana one on Can't You Hear Me knocking (oh, drop that last paragraph, I'm exhausted from working though it's Sunday and still officially weekend to me too).

I can understand your association with CYHMN Taylor and the sound of Carlos Santana but that was in 1971 .. but Santana had only been known for maybe a year or two at the time. Isn't like they had been all over the map for ten years at that time. As well it has similar traits I agree but it isn't total.

Keith says 'It's good to be here .. it's good to be anywhere' That is the line he uses at times. Got to Get a Grip is a fairly weak song with modern / neat production .. Not the other way around.

Mick Jagger doing an impersonation of Led Zeppelin on Might As Well Get Juiced ...? (I think that is more than even stretching it .. I don't hear the connection).

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 19, 2018 07:29

IanBillen
I can understand your association with CYHMN Taylor and the sound of Carlos Santana but that was in 1971 .. but Santana had only been known for maybe a year or two at the time.

Howdy Ian. thumbs up

Santana, while still a relatively a young band, were already huge by the time the Stones recorded CYHMK. Along with their breakthrough Woodstock appearance in 1969, and their first studio album released around the same time, there's no doubt the Stones - or at the least Mick Taylor - were familiar with them and their sound when they recorded CYHMK. Similarities in the jam aspects and the Taylor solo of CYHMK with Santana's well known extended jams and Carlos's tasty guitar solos make comparisons inevitable.

Some interesting quotes from Timeisonourside:

Keith denies it was influenced and/or inspired by Santana:

"The jam at the end wasn't inspired by Carlos Santana. We didn't even know they were still taping. We thought we'd finished. We were just rambling and they kept the tape rolling. I figured we'd just fade it off. It was only when we heard the playback that we realised, Oh, they kept it going. Basically we realised we had two bits of music. There's the song and there's the jam" - Keith, 2002

Yet his guitar tech mentions Carlos:

"The song is not a Mick Taylor song at all. Mick merely does a, certainly very fine, but nevertheless Carlos Santana kind of solo part. The whole rough rhythmic characteristic thing about the song is Keith".
- Pierre de Beauport, 1999

Mick Jagger also mentions Carlos:

"We did this at Olympic and the jam at the end was an afterthought. It comes in two pieces, this rock song with this added jam. It's slightly Carlos Santana-like, Mick Taylor plays a bit of that style, I think. I don't think we meant that, but somehow it added on and I think this was done really quickly, too." - Mick Jagger, 2015

Mick Taylor makes no mention of Carlos:

"Can't You Hear Me Knocking" ... is one of my favourites ... [The jam at the end] just happened by accident; that was never planned. Towards the end of the song I just felt like carrying on playing. Everybody was putting their instruments down, but the tape was still rolling and it sounded good, so everybody quickly picked up their instruments again and carried on playing. It just happened, and it was a one-take thing. A lot of people seem to really like that part." - Mick Taylor, 1979

And:

"That song had such a fantastic groove going, they just let the tape runing for my solo at the end. Generally, I tried to bring my own distinctive sound and style to Sticky Fingers and I like to think I added some extra spice. I don't want to say "sophistication" - I think that sounds pretentious. Charlie said I brought "finesse". That's a better word. I'll go with what Charlie said". - Mick Taylor, 2011

While Charlie simply praises Mick Taylor:

"As a lead, virtuoso guitar, Mick (Taylor) was so lyrical on songs like Can't You Hear Me Knocking, which was an amazing track because that was a complete jam, one take at the end. He had such a good ear, and I would help push him along". - Charlie Watts, 2003

And more praise from Chris Kimsey:

"I remember Can't You Hear Me Knocking. That was all one take. There were a few takes, but that one got the greenlight because of the jam at the end, and where it went with Mick (Taylor)'s playing, which was exceptional".
- Chris Kimsey (assistant engineer), 2015

__________________________________________________________________________________

Maybe they'll do something along those lines if and when they ever decide to get back to work in the studio on the supposed new album (13 years and counting), but without Mick Taylor not sure it's possible.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 19, 2018 07:46

Can't You Hear Me Knocking is not Santana-like...

...it's Mike Bloomfield-like...

...in fact, CYHMK is almost a direct rip of East-West, from 1966.

The Paul Butterfield Blues Band, East-West: [www.youtube.com]

Date: February 19, 2018 08:17

That's a killer album stonehearted and one of my favorite tunes/jams by any band.
Yes, the similarities are clearly evident, but there's also similarities between Santana and CYHMK imo - especially the guitar solo.
One thing's certain, Santana was inspired by the lengthy jam of East - West, as were the Stones!

Date: February 19, 2018 11:06

stonehearted
Can't You Hear Me Knocking is not Santana-like...

...it's Mike Bloomfield-like...

...in fact, CYHMK is almost a direct rip of East-West, from 1966.

The Paul Butterfield Blues Band, East-West: [www.youtube.com]

I think it's Taylor's lead playing (only a few parts of a scale, really) that is Santana-like, not the song smiling smiley

Date: February 19, 2018 11:13

<Mick Taylor makes no mention of Carlos>

He has done that several times, also in this context, but mostly when TWFNO is discussed:

«But my favorite one in terms of my own guitar playing is “Time Waits for No One” [from It's Only Rock 'n' Roll]. I love that solo. I think it’s probably the best thing I did with the Stones. It’s not one of their hits; it was an album track. But it’s quite lyrical and it’s a bit different from a lot of other Stones songs. I’d done something that I’d never done. Because of the structure of the song, it pushed my guitar playing in a slightly different direction.

It’s more – I don’t like to use the term Carlos Santana-esque because it sounds too pretentious, but I kind of played in a different mode. I was playing over a Cmaj7 to an Fmaj7, which aren’t chords the Stones used that much. You know, they had their rock and roll songs and they had their ballads as well, and they were very different. And most of the ballads were usually written by me».

[www.guitarworld.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-19 11:19 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: February 19, 2018 13:54

The very idea that Taylor plays Santana-esque on TWFNO could come from the slight "latin groove" played by the Stones during Taylor's solo. I think that Taylor is a completely different player than Santana btw, you can hear that on Bob Dylan's concert in '83, where Santana and Taylor share the stage.

Date: February 19, 2018 14:13

TheflyingDutchman
The very idea that Taylor plays Santana-esque on TWFNO could come from the slight "latin groove" played by the Stones during Taylor's solo. I think that Taylor is a completely different player than Santana btw, you can hear that on Bob Dylan's concert in '83, where Santana and Taylor share the stage.

And because Taylor touched into Carlos's turf when it comes to scales smiling smiley

Date: February 19, 2018 20:59

They're both exceptional guitar players - two of the best I've ever seen! I've seen Carlos several times over the years - with Santana and with his solo band. While Santana as a band were great for the most part (w/several different lead vocalists each time), the best show I saw was in 1988 at the Wiltern Theater (w/Jazz musician Wayne Shorter opening) when he was touring his solo album Blues For Salvador. I don't recall him playing any known Santana songs as it was more of a jazzy fusion of extended improvisational jams intertwined with some solo tunes- channeling Hendrix and adding his own Latin vibe. Exceptional!

But what does this all have to with the supposed new album? Nothing. winking smiley
No news is good news I suppose, and topics will tend to branch out in all directions when there's no news, but where this one goes next is anyone's guess!

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: February 19, 2018 23:58

The new album is still on slow motion, they didn't work much on it during the last 6 months and is not on Universal's Q2 or Q3 schedule.

A new hits compilation is being discussed right now to cash in during the upcoming tour, all their compilation albums are out of print, even GRRR which was released only 5 years ago, so a new one is an option.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: February 20, 2018 00:33

Georgelicks, do you think that the new album could come out in the fall(Nov./Dec.)?!

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: February 20, 2018 00:36

It will probably coincide with the start of the next tour I think now. Latter part of 2019, about September is my guess.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: February 20, 2018 00:41

geordiestone
It will probably coincide with the start of the next tour I think now. Latter part of 2019, about September is my guess.

Seriously man, you are joking. Please tell me a Sept 2019 tour is being planned. You don’t really believe that, do you?
This tour right NOW seems last minute put together hodge podge

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: February 20, 2018 00:49

mailexile67
Georgelicks, do you think that the new album could come out in the fall(Nov./Dec.)?!

They should finish the album first and, as we see, the band has no rush at all.

Date: February 20, 2018 00:51

geordiestone

Agreed.

In the meantime, they'll put out another compilation to keep fans "happy".......... moody smiley

georgelicks
all their compilation albums are out of print, even GRRR which was released only 5 years ago, so a new one is an option

Not sure what this means, but looking at amazon it looks like there's still many available - both in cd and vinyl.

Rolling Stones compilations

And here is GRRRR available on double cd available for $14.99 > GRRRR!

Are these just leftover overstock?

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: February 20, 2018 01:36

Hopefully the compilation is all new material(live, duets, new songs), but even something like that would require too much time of the band. Whatever at this point a spring is coming and another tour on the horizon

Posted by: terry ()
Date: February 20, 2018 01:41

Last thing I need is another greatest hits album,
Late 2015 they started work on a studio album, and still nothing.
And no recent news on how's it proceeding,so I would imagine They have lost interest.
So I'm not expecting anything new from the stones in the near future sadly.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...128129130131132133134135136137138...LastNext
Current Page: 133 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1891
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home