Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...653654655656657658659660661662663...LastNext
Current Page: 658 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2023
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 28, 2023 00:36

matxil
Stoneage
So the fanbase conclusion here is that there is absolutely no need for a new album with original material since their production of new material has been so prolific during the last two decades;
spoiling us with new remakes of old songs and new blues covers? And asking for a new album is really the height of insolence and ignorance? Did I get it right?

No. There are:
    [*] People who are eager to get a new album of the Stones because there might be something good on it
    [*] People who think the Stones are taking too long and owe them a new album, fast!
    [*] People who think the Stones owe nobody nothing
    [*] People think the Stones are great, whatever happens
    [*] People who think the Stones made a number of great albums a long time ago, but would be better off now doing their solo-work instead of bringing out yet another mediocre album
Some people fall in more than one category. I am sure I forgotten a few options too.

Yes. You forgot mine. I'm just damn curious. Will they go for retro Stones, or have they advanced, or at least changed as artists in the last 18 years? What will it sound like? Will there be any Stones magic? No matter the sub-quality of the Post Wyman albums (excluding Blue and Lonesome), there's always something good, if only one or two cuts. The Stones used to be on top of the trends. Will Mick do a song in autotune?

Expectations must be lowered. Rolling Stone magazine probably won't even review it. They've moved on reflect their hip hop readership. Maybe MOJO will. Will the group be open to bringing in some exciting new sidemen? Something they used to excel at. Will they say screw it, and do what they want, instead of trying to please some mythical classic rock audience? It's become larger than the 'Stones new album'. And no, it won't be their best since Exile.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: May 28, 2023 01:04

treaclefingers
keefriffhards
Stoneage
So the fanbase conclusion here is that there is absolutely no need for a new album with original material since their production of new material has been so prolific during the last two decades;
spoiling us with new remakes of old songs and new blues covers? And asking for a new album is really the height of insolence and ignorance? Did I get it right?

Perfect post, but on here the Stones can do no wrong, if you are impatient for a new album you are a hater. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

If you had the same expectations of your parents/grandparents or other octogenarians as you do of the Rolling Stones...at this point you'd be cut out of their will.

Just sayin'...

I remember you, weren't you that guy who used to be funny on here?

Just saying

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 28, 2023 01:17

keefriffhards
treaclefingers
keefriffhards
Stoneage

Perfect post, but on here the Stones can do no wrong, if you are impatient for a new album you are a hater. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

If you had the same expectations of your parents/grandparents or other octogenarians as you do of the Rolling Stones...at this point you'd be cut out of their will.

Just sayin'...

I remember you, weren't you that guy who used to be funny on here?

Just saying

OMG!

Is this my wife? Cuz really...that's what she said!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 28, 2023 01:22

Stoneage
treaclefingers
keefriffhards
Stoneage

Just sayin'...

One album every 20th year - is that really to much to ask for?

Yep, you belong to the group that thinks that The Rolling Stones didn't give anything until AFTERMATH. How fool or ignorant might have been all those folks back then who bought and listened their first albums and itsallovernows, satisfactions and 19thnervousbreakdowns. They didn't even know how to count.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-28 01:25 by Doxa.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 28, 2023 01:24

24FPS
matxil
Stoneage

No. There are:
    [*] People who are eager to get a new album of the Stones because there might be something good on it
    [*] People who think the Stones are taking too long and owe them a new album, fast!
    [*] People who think the Stones made a number of great albums a long time ago, but would be better off now doing their solo-work instead of bringing out yet another mediocre album
Some people fall in more than one category. I am sure I forgotten a few options too.

Yes. You forgot mine. I'm just damn curious. Will they go for retro Stones, or have they advanced, or at least changed as artists in the last 18 years? What will it sound like? Will there be any Stones magic? No matter the sub-quality of the Post Wyman albums (excluding Blue and Lonesome), there's always something good, if only one or two cuts. The Stones used to be on top of the trends. Will Mick do a song in autotune?

Expectations must be lowered. Rolling Stone magazine probably won't even review it. They've moved on reflect their hip hop readership. Maybe MOJO will. Will the group be open to bringing in some exciting new sidemen? Something they used to excel at. Will they say screw it, and do what they want, instead of trying to please some mythical classic rock audience? It's become larger than the 'Stones new album'. And no, it won't be their best since Exile.

If we are to believe Mick, the album will be great!
From over three years ago, even Mick acknowledges the extraordinary length of time it's been since they released a new album of original material with A Bigger Bang:

"Yeah, (the last original Stones album) was so long ago that you want it to be really good. So I don’t just want ti to be, you know, a good album, I want it to be great.
Yeah so I’m very hard on myself. If I write something with Keith or whatever, you know, it’s going to be great, it can’t just be good. So I mean we’ve been recording,
we’ve got some really good stuff, but I mean don’t hold your breath".
- Mick - April, 2020.

If it's ever released, I guess we'll find out how "great" it actually is, but until then we can only speculate.
Based on Living in a Ghost Town and Crosseyed Heart, I have a feeling some of it could possibly be very good.
But again, we won't know until they ever release it...if they ever release it. Hope so.

As for whether the group will be open to bringing in some exciting new sidemen? One word: MACCA! Love the idea or hate it, it will definitely be a curveball thrown in the mix.
Additionally, there will be also be some new songs that include Steve Jordan on drums who is basically a sideman in the Stones the same way Darryl is, though the inclusion of Jordan seems a bit more exciting.
But then then there's multiple producer dillema, ie too many cooks in the kitchen, including oddball producer Andrew Watt who Keith is unhappy with for whatever reason.
One of these days - hopefully - all of these mysteries will be revealed, but to quote Mick from 2020: "don't hold your breath".
And to quote Charlie Watts from over five years ago in Feburay 2018: "I don't know where the new album is, do you"?

18 years and counting...................

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 28, 2023 01:36

They really should do something out of the box to impress me with a new album.............a new Rock and Roll Bluesy Soul thing....

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 28, 2023 02:54

TheflyingDutchman
I still don't know what you guys are talking about then, from a musical and rational point of view. Collaboration and compromises are the same. There are only agreements on recordings.. Like them or not.

Creative collaborations suggest a fruitful partnership where complementary skills result in a whole that is greater than the sum of its parts. Creative compromise suggests the partners agree to concessions to move forward with the result that neither is fully satisfied since both had to give in to the other in order to avoid a stalemate.

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: May 28, 2023 03:43

Rocky Dijon
TheflyingDutchman
I still don't know what you guys are talking about then, from a musical and rational point of view. Collaboration and compromises are the same. There are only agreements on recordings.. Like them or not.

Creative collaborations suggest a fruitful partnership where complementary skills result in a whole that is greater than the sum of its parts. Creative compromise suggests the partners agree to concessions to move forward with the result that neither is fully satisfied since both had to give in to the other in order to avoid a stalemate.

The Rolling Stones have been at the creative compromise stage since at least the Emotional Rescue sessions though it had been heading that way for quite some time before.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 28, 2023 03:48

Nobody knows ....
Everybody here are just stabbin' in thee dark ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: May 28, 2023 05:15

Rockman
Nobody knows ....
Everybody here are just stabbin' in thee dark ....

Yep, guess stayin' cool, calm & collected is the best we can do...

Date: May 28, 2023 05:27

Yeah have a lithium sandwich
Then climb in the back of refrigerated van ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: May 28, 2023 09:23

24FPS
matxil
Stoneage

No. There are:

I agree with much (most?) od what you say. Maybe not with the Rollong Stone bit, it's hard to believe for me that Rolling Stone would ignore a new Stones album. (But even if, so what ...) To me, a new Stones album is a different thing than a bonus disc of refurbished outtakes, or a Mick or Keef or Ronnie solo album. Doesn't mean I wouldn't like these but a new Stones album is something different, simply.

And generally, what's wrong with longing for a new Stones album?

Date: May 28, 2023 14:53

big4
Rocky Dijon
TheflyingDutchman

The Rolling Stones have been at the creative compromise stage since at least the Emotional Rescue sessions though it had been heading that way for quite some time before.

It's up to the listener to decide if a musical product - no matter who plays it -
is the consequence of a collaboration or a compromise. At least to me the quality of music in general is always a matter of taste.Nothing more, nothing less.

I don't care what happens in the studio behind our backs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-28 14:56 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: May 28, 2023 16:15

To Terry's point, only the creative principles truly know if it was a fruitful collaboration or the result of compromises. Even producers, engineers, other band members and sidemen who there will sometimes form conflicting opinions. Certainly journalists, critics, and fans like us are just making our own narrative based on what we believe to be true.

Much of our narrative is drawn from what is stated publicly in interviews after it has been fed through the PR machine to ensure quotable sound bytes are crafted and that no one says anything too controversial most of the time that could prove damaging. The artifice of the business means, to some extent, we are all fooled in believing what we hear or read. Artist and statesmen rarely tell the complete truth because they want to sway the public into buying or following them.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: May 28, 2023 17:08

Rocky Dijon
Much of our narrative is drawn from what is stated publicly in interviews after it has been fed through the PR machine to ensure quotable sound bytes are crafted and that no one says anything too controversial most of the time that could prove damaging. The artifice of the business means, to some extent, we are all fooled in believing what we hear or read. Artist and statesmen rarely tell the complete truth because they want to sway the public into buying or following them.

This is spot on. We don't know squat. To be honest most people (including me) don't know much of anything, because they're lead to believe another persons agenda/propaganda. The human experience is a funny one. Anyhow, all cynicism aside Rock and Roll music has always been a happy place for me. I assume it's the same for a lot of others here too. I say let's enjoy the ride.

Date: May 28, 2023 21:26

matxil
Stoneage

No. There are:

All in all, we're just bricks in the wall..........

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 29, 2023 02:59

doitywoik
24FPS
matxil
Stoneage

No. There are:

I agree with much (most?) od what you say. Maybe not with the Rollong Stone bit, it's hard to believe for me that Rolling Stone would ignore a new Stones album. (But even if, so what ...) To me, a new Stones album is a different thing than a bonus disc of refurbished outtakes, or a Mick or Keef or Ronnie solo album. Doesn't mean I wouldn't like these but a new Stones album is something different, simply.

And generally, what's wrong with longing for a new Stones album?

Nothing. Long away. I just won't rachet up my expectations. At least I can be pleasantly surprised. Will they be on the same level without Charlie? Will they be a totally different band? There are a lot of things that lend themselves to speculation. I don't think anyone is expecting some kind of masterwork from their golden age. Some Girls was the last one to reflect an almost journalistic look at the group, recounting where they were at that particular time, aurally, and lyrics. Their lives aren't that dramatic, or decadent now. It will be interesting to see what their subject matter is.

Posted by: CJFP ()
Date: May 29, 2023 03:03

So what's the consensus lately? Do we think we're getting an album this fall? Or no?

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: May 29, 2023 05:04

Consensus is, we don't hold our breath ... or hold it yet a little longer.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 29, 2023 05:37

The beauty of it all is... whatever who of us wishes whatever...

I just dropped a hot bowl of chicken nuggets on the floor. I picked them up. My dogs are after the remnants.

And when they are done doing what the do they're done.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 29, 2023 09:26

GasLightStreet

I just dropped a hot bowl of chicken nuggets on the floor. I picked them up. My dogs are after the remnants.

Hang on...you picked them up off the floor and ate them? Are we still observing the 10 second rule?

Whatever who of us wishes...whatever, I wish that hadn't happened to you, though am happy for your dawgs.

Date: May 29, 2023 15:47

Gaslight has dogs. It's more like the 2 second rule if they weren't underfoot when the mishap occurred.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: May 29, 2023 17:46

Rocky Dijon
Gaslight has dogs. It's more like the 2 second rule if they weren't underfoot when the mishap occurred.

When I repeatedly read "last post by Rocky Dijon" these days, I know something's up! And yeah, dogs in the same room need no 2nd invitation when food falls to the floor.

Date: May 29, 2023 23:34

CJFP
So what's the consensus lately? Do we think we're getting an album this fall? Or no?

Date: May 29, 2023 23:48

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet

Hang on...you picked them up off the floor and ate them? Are we still observing the 10 second rule?

Whatever who of us wishes...whatever, I wish that hadn't happened to you, though am happy for your dawgs.

I was hungry! The bowl was hot in a spot and I had to drop it.

Rocky Dijon

They don't waste any time!

Date: May 29, 2023 23:51

Hairball
As for whether the group will be open to bringing in some exciting new sidemen? One word: MACCA! Love the idea or hate it, it will definitely be a curveball thrown in the mix.
Additionally, there will be also be some new songs that include Steve Jordan on drums who is basically a sideman in the Stones the same way Darryl is, though the inclusion of Jordan seems a bit more exciting.
But then then there's multiple producer dillema, ie too many cooks in the kitchen, including oddball producer Andrew Watt who Keith is unhappy with for whatever reason.

What? I haven't been around much. What's that about?

Date: May 30, 2023 00:01

It was mentioned in a post from georgelicks several weeks ago.

Date: May 30, 2023 00:18

Hairball
It was mentioned in a post from georgelicks several weeks ago.

Oh, great.

Date: May 30, 2023 00:33

producer Andrew Watt who Keith is unhappy with for whatever reason.

What's friggin new .... ???

Booted Oldham out ..
Wore Miller out ...
Wanted Dust Bros out ..... Go Keef lurv ya man ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: May 30, 2023 03:41

Rockman
producer Andrew Watt who Keith is unhappy with for whatever reason.

What's friggin new .... ???

Booted Oldham out ..
Wore Miller out ...
Wanted Dust Bros out ..... Go Keef lurv ya man ...

Yet he loved workimg with Lillywhite. Go figure.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...653654655656657658659660661662663...LastNext
Current Page: 658 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1831
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home