Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...651652653654655656657658659660661...LastNext
Current Page: 656 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2023
Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 26, 2023 10:31

24FPS

I'm actually looking forward to this release. Not excited like in the past. Not expecting a monumental artistic achievement. I'm actually curious. They're not even the young whippersnappers in their 60s who made a Bigger Bang. There's never been a rock and roll album made by an octogenarian band. This could be interesting.

Yeah, it'll be like the proverbial box of chocolates...we don't quite know what we're gonna get.

Date: May 26, 2023 12:10

Taylor1
big4
18 years and counting is a false narrative. At the turn of the decade the band chose to start looking back and Mick added vocals and lyrics to roughly three albums wortb of material. The band made some new contributions as well but it was mostly Mick in Tattoo You mode but instead of a hodgepodge of songs from different eras the songs for the most part stay connected to the album they were recorded for orginally.

Those Exile and SG extra CD's are as much new Stones albums as Tattoo You in '81 just different packaging. New lyrics to old backing tracks are new songs.

NO they are not.And not one of those is a great song.Some like Living in the Heart of Love and Criss Cross, two of the better ones, were basically finished before Mick and the band did some overdubs or new vocals

Not one of the songs on the SG bonus disc is great? Wow, that's a first.

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: May 26, 2023 12:26

I love those bonus discs. Some of the tracks are way better than the majority of ABB, DW and BTB. But yet, they're bonus discs and as far as i'm concerned some of these Deluxe editions are already out of print.

(Damn I would love to have a Sticky Fingers or Exile Deluxe Vinyl boxset with bonus LP sad smiley )

Of course the boys put out some loose tracks and rarities through the years, but with the band together in one studio, writing and jamming.. that really is something else...

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: May 26, 2023 13:29

big4
18 years and counting is a false narrative. At the turn of the decade the band chose to start looking back and Mick added vocals and lyrics to roughly three albums wortb of material. The band made some new contributions as well but it was mostly Mick in Tattoo You mode but instead of a hodgepodge of songs from different eras the songs for the most part stay connected to the album they were recorded for orginally.

Those Exile and SG extra CD's are as much new Stones albums as Tattoo You in '81 just different packaging. New lyrics to old backing tracks are new songs.

THIS is a false narrative. 18 years since the last album of new original Rolling Stones material is simply a FACT. Not a TRUMP-like fact, an ACTUAL fact. Nothing FALSE about that narrative at all.

Rod

Date: May 26, 2023 13:42

bitusa2012
big4

THIS is a false narrative. 18 years since the last album of new original Rolling Stones material is simply a FACT. Not a TRUMP-like fact, an ACTUAL fact. Nothing FALSE about that narrative at all.

Actually, it is a false narrative. Simply because it hasn't been 18 years since A Bigger Bang came out winking smiley

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: May 26, 2023 13:43

DandelionPowderman
Taylor1
big4

NO they are not.And not one of those is a great song.Some like Living in the Heart of Love and Criss Cross, two of the better ones, were basically finished before Mick and the band did some overdubs or new vocals

crazy......the bonus tracks are awesome...if only they'd play some of them live....

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: May 26, 2023 13:46

I never got tired of listening to Plundered My Soul. Very strong bonus track. Also Claudine and Tallahassee Lassie come to mind.

Date: May 26, 2023 13:52

I Love You Too Much, We Had It All, Do You Think I Ever Care, So Young, No Spare Parts ... too many too mention.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 26, 2023 13:53

Isn't the focus on the word "new" here? Not rehashes and blues covers. How many new songs have they made since A Bigger Bang? Do you need more than one hand to count them?

Date: May 26, 2023 13:57

As these songs hadn't been released before + that they worked on them, it's a fair point that they deserve a mention, Stoneage.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 26, 2023 15:11

Stoneage
Isn't the focus on the word "new" here? Not rehashes and blues covers. How many new songs have they made since A Bigger Bang? Do you need more than one hand to count them?

What does 'new' mean here? From the point of view of listener/consumer what does it matter when the track is made if the released product is novel, something you haven't heard before? To me the bonus material released with the reissues contains music that I find at least in a par with, and sometimes better, than the material released in a 'proper new albums of originals' from the 80's on.

And what has the 'new' to do with who composes the songs? A brandnew album from 2016 BLUE & LONESOME is the most coherent album they have released since UNDERCOVER. I think it contains much, much better music than, for example, A BIGGER BANG does. I miss the times when The Stones just released 'albums', not these 'albums of originals' that seem to be some sort of obsession for some people these days. 'Those only count'. Why? What exactly is the idea behind that talk? What is the source of that purism?

I think the people pay attention to much on that's going on at the kitchen than on the actual thing served on plates. According to this idea the meals need to be cooked in an appropriate way. What the latter is is based on old Romantic tales and myths of creativity, something to do with the recent touch of muse, or the lack of it. This goes way back into the times when pop musicians started creating about 40 minutes long, defined by techological limits, collection of songs they needed to release about once in a year to be something in the business. You know, be someone and, hopefully to make money. This Romantic myth is still captive, due to all its history, although the world and the nature of whole business have changed. Many people have learned to think to whole thing in terms of it, no matter how dated it is.

Besides, what are the limits of 'new'? When does a new (supposedly 'original') track turn into 'old' if it is not released yet? A year or two after, say, Mick and Keith have written it? So, according to this logic, the new album, no matter how much originals it contains, or novel is, is not really a new album but a collection of old out-takes, some of them even dating back to Charlie Watts days. It doesn't really reflect the current state of their creativity, that is, how their muse is actually doing now. Like that actually means anything.

But in the end, if we leave scholarship, fan curiosity, and all that non-musical knowledge outside, what really matters is the stuff we hear from our speakers or headphones. Anything else is irrelevant.

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-26 15:25 by Doxa.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 26, 2023 15:19

Doxa
Stoneage

What does 'new' mean here? From the point of view of listener/consumer what does it matter when the track is made if the released product is novel, something you haven't heard before? To me the bonus material released with the reissues contains music that I find at least in a par with, and sometimes better, than the material released in a 'proper new albums of originals' from the 80's on.

And what has the 'new' to do with who composes the songs? A brandnew album from 2016 BLUE & LONESOME is the most coherent album they have released since UNDERCOVER. I think it contains much, much better music than, for example, A BIGGER BANG does. I miss the times when The Stones just released 'albums', not these 'albums of originals' that seem to be some sort of obsession for some people these days. 'Those only count'. Why? What exactly is the idea behind that talk? What is the source of that purism?

I think the people pay attention to much on that's going on at the kitchen than on the actual thing served on plates. According to this idea the meals need to be cooked in an appropriate way. What the latter is is based on old Romantic tales and myths of creativity, something to do with the recent touch of muse, or the lack of it. This goes way back into the times when pop musicians started creating about 40 minutes long, defined by techological limits, collection of songs they needed to release about once in a year to be something in the business. You know, be someone and, hopefully to make money.

Besides, what are the limits of 'new'? When does a new (supposedly 'original') track turn into 'old' if it is not released yet? A year or two after, say, Mick and Keith have written it? So, according to this logic, the new album, no matter how much originals it contains, or novel is, is not really a new album but a collection of old out-takes, some of them even dating back to Charlie Watts days. It doesn't really reflect the current state of their creativity, that is, how their muse is actually doing now. Like that actually means anything.

But in the end, if we leave scholarship, fan curiosity, and all that non-musical knowledge outside, what really matters is the stuff we hear from our speakers or headphones. Anything else is irrelevant.

- Doxa

thumbs up spot on.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 26, 2023 15:34

Ultimately, it's down to what we like or don't like. I don't imagine anything will rival what most consider their best work. I'll be pleased if it rivals their work in the 1990s. What snippets we've heard (presumably the songs actually being released) sound promising. I have misgivings about Andrew Watt, but I've always liked Don Was. I would say I'm looking forward to it though my expectations aren't particularly high.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 26, 2023 16:25

DandelionPowderman
Taylor1
big4

That SG bonus album could have, should have, been a separate release with a different title altogether. A fabulous country-themed album.

I believe it would have been celebrated like B&L was.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: May 26, 2023 16:34

DandelionPowderman
bitusa2012
big4

Actually, it is a false narrative. Simply because it hasn't been 18 years since A Bigger Bang came out winking smiley

17 years 8 months then. Happy?

Rod

Date: May 26, 2023 16:51

bitusa2012
DandelionPowderman
bitusa2012
big4

17 years 8 months then. Happy?

Happy! smiling smiley

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: May 26, 2023 17:20

DandelionPowderman
As these songs hadn't been released before + that they worked on them, it's a fair point that they deserve a mention, Stoneage.

"deserve a mention" is another move of the goalposts. whether something counts as "new material" or not doesn't need a redefinition. but then you're already on to being hyper specific on the month when ABB was released. what's the point if I may ask

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: May 26, 2023 17:26

> What does 'new' mean here?

Well, that's easy to answer. When you hear something and think: "Hey, I never heard that before. Sounds completely new to me and very different from what I heard before." With a bit of luck, it might be good too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-26 17:27 by matxil.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 26, 2023 17:40

matxil
> What does 'new' mean here?

Well, that's easy to answer. When you hear something and think: "Hey, I never heard that before. Sounds completely new to me and very different from what I heard before." With a bit of luck, it might be good too.

If we got an album of 'new' material, never heard before recorded circa 1966, it would likely sound a bit dated and of its time - though most of us, me included, would be surely thrilled. But it would be obvious this was 'lost' material discovered.

If instead we got an album of material recorded in the 70s and 80s, packaged like Tattoo You it would sound like the 'modern' Rolling stones that we've enjoyed for the past 50 years. So I agree with you...the sound of the bands recordings haven't aged in decades, which is actually a good thing as far as I'm concerned. Not that they didn't evolve or there isn't variety, but as far back as the beginning of RS Records they cemented the modern version of the band's recorded "sound".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-26 17:41 by treaclefingers.

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: May 26, 2023 19:03

bitusa2012
big4

Lyrics were new though and that's half a song. Through your lens I can see how your view makes sense. But we have not lacked in Stones albums or music since 2005.Yes, I am including the live archive releases as well.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: May 26, 2023 20:12

big4
bitusa2012
big4

Lyrics were new though and that's half a song. Through your lens I can see how your view makes sense. But we have not lacked in Stones albums or music since 2005.Yes, I am including the live archive releases as well.

18 years without a studio album of originals from a band that hasn't broken up and continues to tour, I'm definitely lacking that album, especially as it's been promised by the band for so many years.
I'm sure most fans are lacking/ looking forward/ excited about the arrival of that album.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 26, 2023 20:44

"I don't know where the new album is, do you"? - Charlie Watts, Feb. 2018

Date: May 26, 2023 20:54

keefriffhards
18 years without a studio album of originals from a band that hasn't broken up and continues to tour, I'm definitely lacking that album, especially as it's been promised by the band for so many years.
I'm sure most fans are lacking/ looking forward/ excited about the arrival of that album.

keefriffhards
It happens to most artists over 70, get over it, just because someone maintains fitness doesn't make them creative.

Date: May 26, 2023 20:57

Hairball
"I don't know where the new album is, do you"? - Charlie Watts, Feb. 2018

"But I don’t write the songs so I don’t have the final say. Once we’ve played them I’m not interested really, but Mick has to live with them and put his voice on them. Keith will sit for hours listening. I don’t know where we are with them to be honest. Every time we go into the studio I think, 'Well that was the one,' but it’s whether they’re happy with it and I don’t know if they are yet." - Charlie Watts, Feb. 2018

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: May 26, 2023 21:08

I always thought those worked up demos from the deluxe albums should be released as new albums, combined with new tracks. The general public doesn't know they're old demos, and who cares anyway, old acts always rerecord their old songs (Willie Nelson has released like 5 versions of every song from the 60s to now).

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 26, 2023 21:27

After nearly two decades since A Bigger Bang was released, and with so many setbacks and multiple walls being hit during the process, waiting for the supposed "new" album is quite the test of patience.
And now with Keith being unhappy with producer Andrew Watt, it sort of takes some of the air out of the anticipation. Gotta stay strong and hopeful against all the odds.
Looking forward to it some day....hopefully...thumbs up...18 years and counting....

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: May 26, 2023 21:47

Are we going to start a "two decades and counting" mantra now?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 26, 2023 21:52

At least with this thread
BV has a detailed record of the those
who have slowly lost their minds while waiting ..... HHHHaaaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: May 26, 2023 22:09

Hairball
After nearly two decades since A Bigger Bang was released, and with so many setbacks and multiple walls being hit during the process, waiting for the supposed "new" album is quite the test of patience.
And now with Keith being unhappy with producer Andrew Watt, it sort of takes some of the air out of the anticipation. Gotta stay strong and hopeful against all the odds.
Looking forward to it some day....hopefully...thumbs up...18 years and counting....

I feel your pain Hairball, it's been strange concerning this topic for all these years here, but for a few insiders who have clearly been wrong predicting the release date/year of this album, we haven't really had anything concrete until recently from the band themselves other than we've been working on tracks, ( usually from Keith.)
I don't know of another band in history with the exception of Axl Rose to take this long and Axl didn't take this long.
As much as I'm incredibly keen to finally hear this album to listen to the problems that were causing it's delay winking smiley i also want to hear for myself if the album was worth the wait? because the end result was fantastic?, I'm also thinking there must have been a lot of writers block (THE WALL) for long periods, why else would it take so long.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-26 22:21 by keefriffhards.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: May 26, 2023 22:36

Rockman
At least with this thread
BV has a detailed record of the those
who have slowly lost their minds while waiting ..... HHHHaaaaaaaa

They're still very hopeful. They only lost their minds, not the hope.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...651652653654655656657658659660661...LastNext
Current Page: 656 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1791
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home