Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...648649650651652653654655656657658...LastNext
Current Page: 653 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2023
Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: May 22, 2023 18:53

micha063
retired_dog
micha063, you're the star of this thread now! Enjoy your 15 minutes of fame!

Neither I want nor I need any kind of fame. I find it strange, that a simple statement of thoughts leeds to an emotional fight like it did.
Why?

Because due to the long wait for the new album and with no news in sight, this thread is now full of bored and frustrated people who jump on every occasion to get the thread going, no matter what. It gets from going OT regularly to occasional outbursts of aggressivity and almost everything inbetween. The ongoing lack of the new album is the problem, not you and your opinion.

Don't take it all too serious!

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: May 22, 2023 18:55

retired_dog
micha063
retired_dog
micha063, you're the star of this thread now! Enjoy your 15 minutes of fame!

Neither I want nor I need any kind of fame. I find it strange, that a simple statement of thoughts leeds to an emotional fight like it did.
Why?

Because due to the long wait for the new album and with no news in sight, this thread is now full of bored and frustrated people who jump on every occasion to get the thread going, no matter what. It gets from going OT regularly to occasional outbursts of aggressivity and almost everything inbetween. The ongoing lack of the new album is the problem, not you and your opinion.

Don't take it all too serious!

There speaks someone with wisdom, perspective and a great deal of good sense...

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: May 22, 2023 19:23

GerardHennessy
Rocky Dijon
I suppose the bigger question is who is assessing their legacy? The band has relevance primarily to a fan base that is already at or rapidly approaching retirement age. I used to believe Danny and the Juniors were correct, then I lived long enough to realize most of popular culture fails to stand the test of time.

Bang on! 100%. Its all of supreme importance to the majority of us here. But not so much to anyone else. I know loads of people who go to Stones concerts. Roughly 75% of them go out of a mixture of curiosity, star spotting, because it is something to do, or out of habit. They know very little about the band, its history, its musical legacy or anything deep! They like to nip long, sing the bits of Satisfaction, Start Me Up or Jumpin'Jack Flash that they know, get the beers in when any non-warhorse numbers are played (The Last Time, 19th Nervour Breakdown), and become Rolling Stones fans for the evening...

My own family, who are all massive music fans, think The Stones are now a rather quaint anachronism. A museum piece more interesting because of their collective age than anything else. And certainly of little interest musically. Unlike me, my daughters, sons and grandchildren would not be seen dead at a Stones gig. Which is absolutely fine. I still smile secretly to myself and remember when they really were leading edge. When they were mad, bad and dangerous to know. And no one is ever gonna take that away from me...

Of course those days are gone. Never to return. But what a ride it has been my friends. And then some...

As one who came to their live shows rather late in the game (1997), I still found them to be so, putting on shows - spectacles really - that no contemporaries could match, and that made them the bad boys (in the coolest mofo's in the biz sense) to me, all their past laurels and glories included. To me, I still see them that way, though I know they've sold out many times since, but one can still hang onto the rep that was once there - why not? I do hold out hope that the new album will be at least as good as B2B if it ever does materialize......

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: May 22, 2023 19:23

ribbelchips
Metallica's Load was considered a disappointment compared to their 'black album' when it was just released, but in hindsight, it wasn't that bad at all.

St. Anger and Lulu were yet to come grinning smiley

For me, St. Anger is a very underrated album.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 22, 2023 21:14

Rocky Dijon
I suppose the bigger question is who is assessing their legacy? The band has relevance primarily to a fan base that is already at or rapidly approaching retirement age. I used to believe Danny and the Juniors were correct, then I lived long enough to realize most of popular culture fails to stand the test of time.

If everyone is cool with it, I'll do the assessment as I have a number of metrics in mind and I think I can give a highly quantitative and thoroughly unbiased analysis and be able to provide some very sound conclusions.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 22, 2023 21:37

I think a very large part of visitors on the big name artists gigs are event junkies. They want to be seen on the right events to be in the flow and money is no problem for them. Beyonce had world premiere of her tour in Stockholm recently and parts of the audience were accused of being less enthusiastic. They were probably in that category. But I guess an artist like Beyonce has a higher status in that category (event seekers) while The Stones status is fading?

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 22, 2023 21:46

There's no sign of the Stones fading in terms of being a concert draw. Nothing lasts forever. The decline of rock's appeal for those under forty underlines that point. As for who assesses their legacy, I'll vote for treaclefingers for unbiased and knowledgeable.

Date: May 22, 2023 23:58

Rocky Dijon
There's no sign of the Stones fading in terms of being a concert draw. Nothing lasts forever. The decline of rock's appeal for those under forty underlines that point. As for who assesses their legacy, I'll vote for treaclefingers for unbiased and knowledgeable.

On it! I'll throw in some 'Sons of Stones & Beatles' stuff in there just to give some projections and a more fully rounded conclusion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-23 00:01 by treaclefingers.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 23, 2023 02:53

Ono! You've Hit the Wall!

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 23, 2023 11:47

VoodooLounge13

As one who came to their live shows rather late in the game (1997), I still found them to be so, putting on shows - spectacles really - that no contemporaries could match, and that made them the bad boys (in the coolest mofo's in the biz sense) to me, all their past laurels and glories included. To me, I still see them that way, though I know they've sold out many times since, but one can still hang onto the rep that was once there - why not? I do hold out hope that the new album will be at least as good as B2B if it ever does materialize......

Yeah that would be nice, I'm sure they have it in them and with the same kind of help they got for B2B no reason they can't do it again.

As for putting on shows that no contemporaries can match...good point, and I think that the electricity in the air when they're about to come on and then hit the stage is unmatched. There's just something unreal unfolding in front of your eyes, especially if you're in the pit and that's probably not just for us crazed stones fans.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 23, 2023 14:43

Yeah, I consulted Mick and he said he would love Treacle to take care of that boring legacy crap. He told me that he doesn't give a shit about the past nor the future, all that matters to him is the present. And that has been the case for over 60 years he claimed. He especially mentioned that when they were living in Southern France and making some album he forgotten the title he couldn't give a flying fvck what people would think of them in 20 years time. All that mattered to him was to get the bloody album finished, it be good and hoping it will sell well.

As a friend I feel morally responsible to help a bit Treacle. Just to point out certain aspects he might need to take into consideration.

One of those is to see the value of the band as a performing act breaking all the records and barriers aging does to a rock and roll band. That decades after their heyday as the hottest thing to break all teenage hearts with their ground-breaking music and even when rock music as a thing of the past they were able to remain as the hottest concert draw in the world. The countless tours and concerts were the testimony of that: to provide a convincing spectacle that the age is just a number for both the performers and the audience. That rock and roll, played live here and now, is the true spirit and nature of the whole genre. The future sosiologists and culture historians will write books and articles of that extraordinary phenomenon: how a teenager pop act would defy all constraints and traditions of popular music and change the the culture as we know it. Since the early 70's they've been forerunners in showing a middle finger to the Father Time. Ages ago they managed to make the idea that someone is 'too old for rock' laughable. For the rest it has been easy for the rest to follow their steps. Probably some of those scholars will claim that this has been the biggest achviement the band ever had for culture. True they did hit songs and albums that are evergreens and hailed masterpieces, non-disputed contributions in the history of rock music but that's only a part of their significance. The convincing musical foundation is a necessity for anything else, and they have a catalogue not being second to anyone else, but as as a cultural force they are much more than that. As a live band and as a concert draw, by using whatever criteria, there is no one even close to them.

"I always felt that the point of the Beatles - you know, when they were big - was doing records. Ours was like doing concerts". - Mick Jagger, 1969.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-23 14:51 by Doxa.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: May 23, 2023 18:59

Have you seen the clip of Jags playing a a clip of a new tune on his FB page?

(I don't know how to link it here)

Date: May 23, 2023 19:00

Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: May 23, 2023 19:00

Mick in the studio is what he post today on all social media

[fb.watch]

Date: May 23, 2023 19:02

You managed to do post spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: May 23, 2023 19:10

Haha, Christiaan, I figured it out spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: May 23, 2023 19:11

peoplewitheyes
Haha, Christiaan, I figured it out spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

I think we are internet geniuses….

Mick posting he is in the studio
Date: May 23, 2023 18:59

on all social media

[fb.watch]

Re: Mick posting he is in the studio
Date: May 23, 2023 19:01

Oh yep, i just posted about this on the 'new album ' thread.

Some generic sounding groove

Posted by: snoopy2 ()

think this is an older post? items in pic matches a photo from early April

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-23 19:04 by snoopy2.

peoplewitheyes
Oh yep, i just posted about this on the 'new album ' thread.

I did too smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: May 23, 2023 19:03

Another pointless studio video.. give us a release date or stop the teasing!

Date: May 23, 2023 19:04

snoopy2
think this is an older post? unless he often wears that shirt in the studio

It sounds new to me, but it (was) posted on all his social media a few minutes back…. smiling smiley

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: May 23, 2023 19:05

Christiaan
snoopy2
think this is an older post? unless he often wears that shirt in the studio

It sounds new to me, but it (was) posted on all his social media a few minutes back…. smiling smiley

ya newer stuff, but it matches very close to a post from early April

Date: May 23, 2023 19:09

NilsHolgersson

That should be better, but he is free, to do as he want! smileys with beer

[youtu.be]

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: May 23, 2023 19:17

Christiaan
NilsHolgersson

That should be better, but he is free, to do as he want! smileys with beer

[youtu.be]

Unfortunately, yes.

Where is Andrew Oldham when you need him to lock Mick and Keith in until they finish this stuff?

Date: May 23, 2023 19:21

...post deleted ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-23 19:26 by peoplewitheyes.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 23, 2023 19:35

peoplewitheyes

= Rolling Stones. The old dogs seemingly do not easily learn new tricks. But I am not so sure many of us want them either. Usually that tends to make people horrified...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-23 19:36 by Doxa.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 23, 2023 20:21

NilsHolgersson

thumbs up

"Don't hold your breath" - MJ

Date: May 23, 2023 20:43

Doxa
peoplewitheyes

= Rolling Stones. The old dogs seemingly do not easily learn new tricks. But I am not so sure many of us want them either. Usually that tends to make people horrified...

- Doxa

Come on Doxa, you GOTTA GET A GRIP! Beat'em with a stick! Or something.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...648649650651652653654655656657658...LastNext
Current Page: 653 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1505
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home