Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...624625626627628629630631632633634...LastNext
Current Page: 629 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2023
Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: March 12, 2023 23:21

Can we hope we’ll had a decent album cover, after so many poor ones we’ve had to accept in the recent years?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 13, 2023 01:05

1963luca0
Can we hope we’ll had a decent album cover, after so many poor ones we’ve had to accept in the recent years?

I'd like to see one that's plain and simple, yet tells a story ...beginning with the infamous three dynamite riffs and 40 demos...and then hitting the wall...then back to the drawing board...
and starting from scratch...and the lengthy rebuilding process......with several detours along the way...slowly but surely piecing together the new album...brick by brick...song by song...

18 years and counting....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-13 01:07 by Hairball.

Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: March 13, 2023 01:10

1963luca0

I think it would be fitting to have the album cover featuring a mature Mick, Keith, Ron and Charlie standing in semi-profile again, against a semi-dark background, and with similar stances to mirror their first album cover. And have any scripts from the cover left off again. Taken together with the first album, this would make for nice "bookends" of their long and storied career.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 13, 2023 04:51

1963luca0

Decent album cover AND title.

A BIGGER BANG was good but what was in it did not reflect the title, in general.

I say that while thinking, the worst was DIRTY WORK followed by STEEL WHEELS, because VOODOO LOUNGE was a great title, with horrendous artwork except for...

and, the best, maybe, the bar sign.

BRIDGES TO BABYLON was pretty good albeit a little cartoonish.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 13, 2023 07:53

Steel Wheels reflected the tour. Excepting 1999, their last great tour. A BIGGER BANG was a good title, but reflected nothing. Just like Dirty work.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: March 13, 2023 09:58

sf37
1963luca0

I think it would be fitting to have the album cover featuring a mature Mick, Keith, Ron and Charlie standing in semi-profile again, against a semi-dark background, and with similar stances to mirror their first album cover. And have any scripts from the cover left off again. Taken together with the first album, this would make for nice "bookends" of their long and storied career.

...a good photo in the old style would be welcomed..! like those in the ”blue and Lonesome” project...

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 13, 2023 10:05

sf37
1963luca0

Well, in that case they could name the album THE ROLLING STONES NO 3. (This would also make Macca and Beatles fans happy and their empty lives meaningful again - "Look! The Stones are following the example of true innovators again!). For American market, since those don't get it, they could name it differently, something like NOW AGAIN! or 12X4 - or is it actually 12X3? - and write it, like their name, on the cover.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-13 10:06 by Doxa.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: March 13, 2023 11:30

GasLightStreet

A BIGGER BANG was good but what was in it did not reflect the title, in general.

Well, in case of doubt still rather something like A BIGGER BANG than A MINOR FIZZLE ...

I'd still go with my suggestion from a few years back, NO FILLER - if (and only if) this adequately reflects the contents of the album ... winking smiley

Otherwise I in fact liked the elegant simplicity of the BLUE & LONESOME cover, so something in that vein would be fine with me. The ABB cover was just horrid.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 13, 2023 18:00

How about MICK'n'KEEF (with Ronnie!)?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 13, 2023 18:51

doitywoik
GasLightStreet

Well, in case of doubt still rather something like A BIGGER BANG than A MINOR FIZZLE ...

I'd still go with my suggestion from a few years back, NO FILLER - if (and only if) this adequately reflects the contents of the album ... winking smiley

Otherwise I in fact liked the elegant simplicity of the BLUE & LONESOME cover, so something in that vein would be fine with me. The ABB cover was just horrid.

I love the outer brick wall section!thumbs up

Date: March 13, 2023 21:21

treaclefingers
How about MICK'n'KEEF (with Ronnie!)?

Except we don't know if/how many cuts will have Charlie. Last Flair From the Lighthouse would be nice. If they wait another 18 years to release a new album they'd be in their late nineties.

Date: March 14, 2023 05:19

doitywoik
GasLightStreet

Sorry.

The LP title was good. The cover... eh... better than FLASHPOINT (as well as the previous two releases). It just seems like after UNDERCOVER they stopped caring because they've all been awful.

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: March 14, 2023 12:13

I don't think the cover has a photo of the band on it. It will probably be abstract like the majority of their albums post ABKCO. Nobody wants to see a group-shot without Charlie, I quess...

A little nod to Charlie in the title or on the cover would be nice and respectful.

GasLightStreet
The LP title was good. The cover... eh... better than FLASHPOINT (as well as the previous two releases). It just seems like after UNDERCOVER they stopped caring because they've all been awful.

I think Emotional Rescue isn't that great either winking smiley. It seems that they mainly go for recognisability. Simplicity, bright colors.. Whatever you think of it. Voodoo Lounge, Flashpoint, Blue & Lonesome or Grrrr are very recognizable in a (online) store with thousands and thousands of albums..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-14 12:18 by ribbelchips.

Date: March 14, 2023 12:15

ribbelchips
I don't think the cover has a photo of the band on it. It will probably be abstract like the majority of their albums post ABKCO. Nobody wants to see a group-shot without Charlie, I quess...

A little nod to Charlie in the title or on the cover would be nice and respectful.

Since he's on the album I think he'll be on the cover, if they choose a group shot, that is.

Date: March 14, 2023 12:51

IF they choose a group shot.

Since 1968 they have only released 3 studio albums with a true group-shot on the cover as far as i'm concerned. Black & Blue (well, kinda), Dirty Work and a Bigger Bang. 4 if you count Stripped as an album too...

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: March 14, 2023 13:05

Lets make sure there IS an album before considering the packaging...

Regarding a title, to be honest I couldn't care less. For me it won't be a proper Rolling Stones album anyway. We will get something cobbled together, rather like those 'extras' discs that come packaged with the anniversary re-releases. Some tracks with Charlie, other tracks without Charlie. A few tracks that have been lying about for years that Mick will have updated. Maybe a couple of tracks on which Keith will have overdubbed a few licks. It will be a right old mess, but which, in a few places, the odd flash of magic will peep through and we will remember when it was ALL magic...

Oh well!

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: March 14, 2023 13:25

GerardHennessy

A few tracks that have been lying about for years that Mick will have updated. Maybe a couple of tracks on which Keith will have overdubbed a few licks.

If it's that easy, why took the new studio album then almost 18 years?

Date: March 14, 2023 13:32

GerardHennessy

Regarding a title, to be honest I couldn't care less. For me it won't be a proper Rolling Stones album anyway. We will get something cobbled together, rather like those 'extras' discs that come packaged with the anniversary re-releases. Some tracks with Charlie, other tracks without Charlie. A few tracks that have been lying about for years that Mick will have updated. Maybe a couple of tracks on which Keith will have overdubbed a few licks. It will be a right old mess, but which, in a few places, the odd flash of magic will peep through and we will remember when it was ALL magic...

Oh well!

This is not what mpj200 said: that they had worked really hard to finish the album.

What you're describing wouldn't really be hard work.

Date: March 14, 2023 14:51

GasLightStreet
1963luca0

I say that while thinking, the worst was DIRTY WORK followed by STEEL WHEELS, because VOODOO LOUNGE was a great title, with horrendous artwork except for...

and, the best, maybe, the bar sign.

BRIDGES TO BABYLON was pretty good albeit a little cartoonish.

Beatles always came first.

Date: March 14, 2023 15:07

GerardHennessy

Oh well!

Tattoo You was kind of recorded this way wasn't it? And that wasn't a bad album..

I imagine a collection of 10-12 good songs, written over a longer period of time would make a better album a handful of good ones and 7-10 fillers that were written and recorded in a few months...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-14 15:08 by ribbelchips.

Date: March 14, 2023 20:08

Irix
GerardHennessy

A few tracks that have been lying about for years that Mick will have updated. Maybe a couple of tracks on which Keith will have overdubbed a few licks.

If it's that easy, why took the new studio album then almost 18 years?

I'm not saying it was easy. I'm saying it will probably be cobbled together. As such it might even require more work rather than less.

My overall point was that I doubt the album will have been created as an album. The endless chopping, changing, delays, inaccurate statements, vague hints about it being on its way 'soon', suggest a muddled and fragmented process.

No doubt I'll buy the thing anyway. Why break the habit of a lifetime??

Date: March 14, 2023 20:20

DandelionPowderman
GerardHennessy

Oh well!

This is not what mpj200 said: that they had worked really hard to finish the album.

I have no doubt Mick worked hard to finish it. He has a real work ethic about such things. And as I wrote in answer to another comment, a cobbled together album may well require more work, not less. Digging out old unissued tracks, updating lyrics, overdubs, finishing off things from the vault, and the rest.

I'm suggesting the likelihood of such an album because I think it would have been incredibly difficult getting everyone together for long enough to record things from scratch..

Date: March 14, 2023 20:32

GerardHennessy
DandelionPowderman
GerardHennessy

Oh well!

I have no doubt Mick worked hard to finish it. He has a real work ethic about such things. And as I wrote in answer to another comment, a cobbled together album may well require more work, not less. Digging out old unissued tracks, updating lyrics, overdubs, finishing off things from the vault, and the rest.

I'm suggesting the likelihood of such an album because I think it would have been incredibly difficult getting everyone together for long enough to record things from scratch..

If this turns out to be a Tattoo You-ish album, with stuff cobbled together, fans will recognise the songs in an instant. It has not taken them long to do the Deluxe-albums with songs from the different respective eras.

I'm convinced the reason it has taken this long is that they have done the opposite: Made this album from scratch.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: March 14, 2023 20:43

BTW Tattoo You regardless if it was cobbled together is a great album. I listen to it more than SOME GIRLS.

Date: March 14, 2023 21:08

Bashlets
BTW Tattoo You regardless if it was cobbled together is a great album. I listen to it more than SOME GIRLS.

I had the chance to hear the updated vinyl version with a couple friends who had never heard the album. It was magic. Heaven blew us all away. Side two is incredible. Still, side one has Start Me Up and Slave, but the rest is okay. It's not a cohesive album like Some Girls, but it's still great.

Date: March 15, 2023 03:07

DandelionPowderman
GerardHennessy
DandelionPowderman
GerardHennessy

Oh well!

If this turns out to be a Tattoo You-ish album, with stuff cobbled together, fans will recognise the songs in an instant. It has not taken them long to do the Deluxe-albums with songs from the different respective eras.

I'm convinced the reason it has taken this long is that they have done the opposite: Made this album from scratch.

I very much hope you are correct, and that I am wrong. But, whichever of us is right, or mainly right, it still remains to be seen whether it will be any good or not. That is, of course, if something actually DOES emerge eventually.

Several comments reference Tattoo You as evidence of the quality that a 'bits and pieces' album can have. Fair point. However Tattoo You was all of forty-two years ago. And the material it was assembled from was recorded at a time of much greater creativity for The Stones. In the interim the best material remaining from that era will have been used for the extras discs released with the various anniversary re-releases. The quality, or lack of it, of the albums released in the 90's and later (Bridges to Babylon, Bigger Bang, Voodoo Lounge, Steel Wheels) certainly does not suggest that unused material from that period is any good. And therefore is unlikely to be worth polishing up for whatever upcoming release is planned.

Overall I am simply hoping that any new release is not some kind of dogs breakfast. As it will certainly be the last ever new album by the band, I hope that it is, at the very least, half-way decent. A worthy sign-off by the band. Something that brings everything full circle and leaves us with a smile on our faces.

Needless to say I will buy it. Just like I have bought everything the band has released officially. And rather a lot that I have obtained from certain, er UNOFFICIAL sources...The same, I suspect, as most others who post on this forum have also done.

Date: March 15, 2023 06:16

doitywoik
GasLightStreet

But... the brick wall. I get it could be funny but it's really old - older than Keith falling out of a coconut tree.

And, really, the NO FILTER tour was a joke, name wise, because it was indeed no filter about their 1963-1981 discography, overall: NO SURPRISES would've been more appropriate, although Sad Sad Sad in New Orleans was kind of a surprise. However, one song does not make a surprise.

Date: March 15, 2023 14:06

GasLightStreet
doitywoik
GasLightStreet

But... the brick wall. I get it could be funny but it's really old - older than Keith falling out of a coconut tree.

And, really, the NO FILTER tour was a joke, name wise, because it was indeed no filter about their 1963-1981 discography, overall: NO SURPRISES would've been more appropriate, although Sad Sad Sad in New Orleans was kind of a surprise. However, one song does not make a surprise.

I like your comment a lot. Well said. Especially about the 'no surprises' element. As that indeed would have been a much more accurate title.

It says a lot that the inclusion of Sad Sad Sad - a track that was little more than filler on Steel Wheels - should be one of the highlights. Surely an indication of just how the band have stagnated, set-list wise...

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: March 15, 2023 14:30

GerardHennessy
GasLightStreet
doitywoik
GasLightStreet

I like your comment a lot. Well said. Especially about the 'no surprises' element. As that indeed would have been a much more accurate title. (…)

no surprises?
- Dancing With Mr. D? (Hamburg 2017, first performance since 1973)
- Play With Fire (Hamburg 2017)
- Under My Thumb (not played since 2006)
- Hate To See You Go (Zurich 2017)
- The Worst (Dublin 2018)
- Neighbors (Dublin 2018)
- Fool To Cry (London 2018)
- …

Date: March 15, 2023 14:34

GasLightStreet
doitywoik
GasLightStreet

I agree, but in fairness I didn't really expect to hear Dancing With Mr. D in Hamburg (2017), Shine A Light in Amsterdam (2017) or Fool To Cry in London (2018).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-15 15:49 by DandelionPowderman.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...624625626627628629630631632633634...LastNext
Current Page: 629 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1549
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home