Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...620621622623624625626627628629630...LastNext
Current Page: 625 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2023
Posted by: maumau ()
Date: March 3, 2023 19:56

no one miss warm horn parts on a rs records? I do. If I had to wish for something for the new record that's it: soulfull horns

Posted by: tiffanyblu ()
Date: March 3, 2023 20:06

maumau
no one miss warm horn parts on a rs records? I do. If I had to wish for something for the new record that's it: soulfull horns

what an idiot I am... I love horns and consider obv. piano as part of rock - especially with RS. Had not even considered how little of that we have heard in the last 35 years. Its part of the groove.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 3, 2023 20:26

Christos
I believe it'd be a good idea for the new album to conclude with a hidden track of Charlie jamming, talking, rehearsing or whatever.

Yes great idea, and also include some at the beginning of the album.
And no need to keep it "hidden"...it would be a nice respectful tribute.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-03 20:29 by Hairball.

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: March 3, 2023 21:00

Did someone say Mick Taylor would be playing on the new record? That would be amazing! Only Mick Taylor (and Sir Paul McCartney) can save this record.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 3, 2023 21:20

Bungo
Did someone say Mick Taylor would be playing on the new record? That would be amazing! Only Mick Taylor (and Sir Paul McCartney) can save this record.

I find that quote...curious.

You haven't even heard the record, so what exactly needs 'saving', if you could clarify?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 4, 2023 02:01

treaclefingers
Bungo

You haven't even heard the record, so what exactly needs 'saving', if you could clarify?

I recall Dylan once released an album called SAVED. But there was no Macca or Taylor involved there... Probably the album was not saved, after all..

- Doxa

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: March 4, 2023 08:23

treaclefingers
Bungo

That's not curious, Treacle. That's simply... IORR! Theorizing about what could in theory save a record that's not even released yet but could (of course) theoretically fail for whatever reasons. It's like opening a can of worms, but on the other hand opens the doors for theoretical discussions for many, many pages to come.

The more positive-minded amongst us could start a counter discussion about the theoretical reasons why the unreleased album could in theory turn out surprisingly good or (in theory, of course!) even excellent. There's a lot food for thought in this, too, believe me!

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: March 4, 2023 10:07

treaclefingers
Bungo

i think this may have been meant as a sarcastic statment

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: March 4, 2023 12:34

I just hope they don’t screw it up, right up until Charlie passed they could’ve recorded songs with the 72 lineup.
And the 78 lineup. hell , Sugar Blue was playing clubs in Chicago a few years ago,not sure if he’s still around.
“ Stones record new songs with X band members” is a lot more interesting than McCartney.
As much as I despise that dude I respect him, he can out hustle and out bullshit anyone.
He’s hanging with everyone, young musicians,old musicians. you’re touring,he’s touring.
The Stones are so stupid they won’t even see it coming,a friendly drop by, playing on a track and he’s gonna own the narrative.he’ll be on Stern, “ yeah, John and I wrote their first hit and now I’m on their new record, so it’s full circle ya know.”
Dude could make someone else’s funeral about him, it’s genius.

Posted by: tioms ()
Date: March 4, 2023 13:23

Till 375 to go and this topic is 1000!
Go for it!

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: March 4, 2023 13:54

Doxa
treaclefingers
Bungo

I recall Dylan once released an album called SAVED. But there was no Macca or Taylor involved there... Probably the album was not saved, after all..

- Doxa

grinning smiley

Date: March 4, 2023 14:12

ProfessorWolf
treaclefingers
Bungo

I usually smell sarcasm 5 miles against the wind, but this time... OK, if you say so, could very well be!

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: March 4, 2023 15:02

I don't quite see how Macca should outhustle or outbullshit the Stones w.r.t. the new album. From what little we know at this point, he is playing bass on a track (maybe also providing background vocals or the odd hand clap). We don't know what kind of song it is, who wrote it, or anything else about it, etc. From a musical perspective, Paul certainly plays the bass well enough to survive on a Stones track. And if the Stones (or rather, M&K) decide to rather not have it on the album, it won't be on the album anyway, or become a Japan bonus track, or whatever.
Whether it is the song Keith says to have written with Paul a few years back also remains to be seen. None of us know whether this was really a more or less finished song or just a sketch. Apart from that, the way I understood it there was only talk about Paul playing bass on one track, not about co-writing a song with (any of) the Stones.
From a business/sales perspective it may well make sense to have a song with Paul on the album because it may make Macca die-hards or completists buy the album (or track) who perhaps wouldn't buy it otherwise. Might raise the sales a little but certainly won't double them (or so).
Whether the track is any good is something we will find out sooner or laer. It Mick and Keith consider it sub-par, I guess it won't make it onto the album anyway.

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: March 4, 2023 21:27

doitywoik
I don't quite see how Macca should outhustle or outbullshit the Stones w.r.t. the new album. From what little we know at this point, he is playing bass on a track (maybe also providing background vocals or the odd hand clap). We don't know what kind of song it is, who wrote it, or anything else about it, etc. From a musical perspective, Paul certainly plays the bass well enough to survive on a Stones track. And if the Stones (or rather, M&K) decide to rather not have it on the album, it won't be on the album anyway, or become a Japan bonus track, or whatever.
Whether it is the song Keith says to have written with Paul a few years back also remains to be seen. None of us know whether this was really a more or less finished song or just a sketch. Apart from that, the way I understood it there was only talk about Paul playing bass on one track, not about co-writing a song with (any of) the Stones.
From a business/sales perspective it may well make sense to have a song with Paul on the album because it may make Macca die-hards or completists buy the album (or track) who perhaps wouldn't buy it otherwise. Might raise the sales a little but certainly won't double them (or so).
Whether the track is any good is something we will find out sooner or laer. It Mick and Keith consider it sub-par, I guess it won't make it onto the album anyway.

...and of course all of this is predicated on a new album actually being released! Has any album in history ever been written about, spoken about, argued about, analysed, parsed, considered, guessed at, imagined, been subjected to more miles and miles and miles of screens full of conversation as the long promised 'new' Stones studio album?

I think not!

Date: March 4, 2023 21:29

Wondering if Stevie Wonder will also be featured as a guest artist on the new album...
I recall a photo of him visiting the Stones in the studio in L.A around the same time Macca was there.
Maybe both Stevie and Macca will play on the same track...a Macca-Wonder-Stones track could be excellent.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 4, 2023 21:32

ROCKMAN

Date: March 4, 2023 21:44

GerardHennessy
doitywoik

...and of course all of this is predicated on a new album actually being released! Has any album in history ever been written about, spoken about, argued about, analysed, parsed, considered, guessed at, imagined, been subjected to more miles and miles and miles of screens full of conversation as the long promised 'new' Stones studio album?

I think not!

At 625 pages, I think we're close to half way there.

18 years and counting........

Date: March 4, 2023 23:45

Hairball
GerardHennessy
doitywoik

I think not!

...and counting, and counting.

It's ludicrous really that a working band, with a huge worldwide fan base, takes this length of time to put out an album of new original material. At the rate of one song PER YEAR, they could arguably have created two new original albums. But then, where is the incentive if they get paid mega bucks to knock out another greatest hits package, live recording, or trawl through the vaults? And then of course there are the tours, with their oh-so-static warhorse-stuffed set lists, together with an occasional crumb-from-the-table for long time fans, who dare to remember when The Stones really did give a damn, musically, and created some of the most revolutionary, dangerous, terrifying, exciting music on the planet!

Never to return!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 5, 2023 01:12

GerardHennessy
long time fans, who dare to remember when The Stones really did give a damn, musically, and created some of the most revolutionary, dangerous, terrifying, exciting music on the planet!

Never to return!

Yeah, that sweet nostalgia... New single every four months, an album per a year at least. The long hair. Brian, Altamont and everything. Vietnam war. They and we were so young back then. Hardly remember (well, I wasn't yet born). but those were great days. Never to return, indeed.

What a drag is getting old!

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-05 01:17 by Doxa.

Date: March 5, 2023 04:57

GerardHennessy
Hairball
GerardHennessy
doitywoik

I think not!

...and counting, and counting.

It's ludicrous really that a working band, with a huge worldwide fan base, takes this length of time to put out an album of new original material. At the rate of one song PER YEAR, they could arguably have created two new original albums. But then, where is the incentive if they get paid mega bucks to knock out another greatest hits package, live recording, or trawl through the vaults? And then of course there are the tours, with their oh-so-static warhorse-stuffed set lists, together with an occasional crumb-from-the-table for long time fans, who dare to remember when The Stones really did give a damn, musically, and created some of the most revolutionary, dangerous, terrifying, exciting music on the planet!

Never to return!

I've been waiting for this argumentation to (re-)appear in this thread, and yeah, for a while I was thinking the same: "Hell, it can't be that difficult to create a new album, just do one or two songs a year, and in the meantime since ABB we could have had two or even three new albums of originals!"

On the surface, it looks indeed ridiculous, but you give the answer to that yourself. Obviously since many years, being a working band meant that it was far more satisfying and enjoyable to play their "old" music to the masses, taking in the adoration of their audience and of course, their money than spending time and effort in the studio to create something that's far less rewarding, both in terms of public reception and financially.

It is what it is, and wasn't it always the case that since becoming professional musicians the Stones always did what was required at any given time to survive as a band and save their career? When successful singles were needed, the Stones delivered them. When successful albums became the norm, the Stones delivered them. When adjustments of their musical direction were required, the Stones delivered them. When a professionalization of their live act was required, the Stones delivered.

But times have changed and at least since 2012 they discovered that no new music was needed to continue as a hugely successful live act and in more general terms their brand going, so in the end, and not least also considering their age, it's almost a miracle that since some time they record new music at all.

Maybe just because they did not want ABB to be their last album of originals... Or maybe because they feel that for one last time, they have or at least want to prove something. That they've not become a living Wurlitzer jukebox. That they still can deliver new music when they want to. Whatever.

Interesting times, indeed!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-05 09:04 by retired_dog.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: March 5, 2023 11:26

Hairball
Wondering if Stevie Wonder will also be featured as a guest artist on the new album...
I recall a photo of him visiting the Stones in the studio in L.A around the same time Macca was there.
Maybe both Stevie and Macca will play on the same track...a Macca-Wonder-Stones track could be excellent.

Let's see how long it takes until this speculation makes it to the press ... hehe winking smiley ("Rolling Stones insider Hairball revealed that ...") - Who knows, if the press builds up enough pressure they may have to pause the mixing process (or whatever process the album is currently undergoing) for quickly squeezing in a keyboard overdub by Stevie on some track ... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

I guess any participation of guests that is/was more significant than a finger snip in the background will receive mention in the promotion at some point.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: March 5, 2023 12:58

It’s not a matter of just putting out an album but putting out something that belongs in the catalog.
Think of it like this, in 1989 a new band comes on the scene called The Rolling Stones with their first album Steel Wheels.
Then they put out Voodoo Lounge, Bridges to Babylon and A Bigger Bang.

Good not great. If they kept putting out records like that their legacy would be diminished, Mick knows that.why do you think he dropped the gotta have new music/ look forward thing? it’s Black Crowes level music, people like it and they’ll turn out to see you in the theaters and sheds but this is greatness we’re talking about here.

And believe me,They’re NOT gonna make a new great record, forget it.to believe that you’d have to be a casual fan who thinks Mick and Keith were the Stones.they’re not and they never were and the actual band is either dead or gone.
It’ll be good, but great? Not a chance.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: March 5, 2023 13:11

lem motlow
It’s not a matter of just putting out an album but putting out something that belongs in the catalog.
Think of it like this, in 1989 a new band comes on the scene called The Rolling Stones with their first album Steel Wheels.

Good not great. If they kept putting out records like that their legacy would be diminished, Mick knows that.why do you think he dropped the gotta have new music/ look forward thing? it’s Black Crowes level music, people like it and they’ll turn out to see you in the theaters and sheds but this is greatness we’re talking about here.

And believe me,They’re NOT gonna make a new great record, forget it.to believe that you’d have to be a casual fan who thinks Mick and Keith were the Stones.they’re not and they never were and the actual band is either dead or gone.
Its all speculation why they have put out one studio album of new material in25 years. Maybe andMick and Keith don’t want to put out another dud like A Bigger Bang, which will lessen their legacy.And they don’t need to financially either because theycan make over a 100 million a year doing live shows.Whereas they don’t make big money selling albums .But who knows about the new album. I will be happy if it’s better than A Bigger Bang

Date: March 5, 2023 14:14

lem motlow

Only one word to say...
Yup!

And a few more words to add too -

Glad to read your point that Mick and Keith are NOT The Stones. Entirely correct. Of course we will be in the minority on this. In fact I'm not convinced the current band really is The Stones at all. To me they are a kind of glorified tribute band that happen to feature a few of the original members. Of course that works for an awful lot of people, to judge by ticket sales alone. But it does not cut it for me.

I saw them three times on their last European jaunt, and to me the entire experience was totally underwhelming. Reading the reviews posted here I wondered if I had been at the same events at all. Superlatives predominated. Adulation oozed from almost every word. Praise was poured over every aspect of each gig. Don't get me wrong. The performances were not bad. Not at all. Just ordinary. Had someone who never heard of The Stones been at the gigs they would have wondered what all the fuss was about.

Should they call it a day, and pull the plug? In my own opinion, yes they should. Quit while they are still capable of leaving something behind. But will they? Probably not. There is still money to be made. They are still enjoying themselves. Or so we are told. And there are still people who will pay an awful lot of money to see The Stones stand upright in a stadium and crank out the warhorses one more time.

Who needs a new album? Who cares about the great days? Who gives a damn about their musical, social and cultural legacy? Obviously not the throngs who like to rock up, drink beer, film everything on their cell phones, and sing along to Start Me Up, JJF, Sympathy and Satisfaction...

I hope they do get their money's worth. Because, come what may, the end cannot be too far away now. Age does that to you!

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 5, 2023 14:51

Hairball

Paint It Ebony and Ivory?

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: March 5, 2023 15:41

Rockman

What, me worry?

Posted by: kkhoranstoned ()
Date: March 5, 2023 15:45

good morning
shouldnt they put so snippets out.
i feel the advertising machine really dont do them justice
the report the album coming in fall would have to deal with everyone else grand winter release.
shouldn t instragram be full of new music..
hell release mick singing in the shower.
waiting ...for new music

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: March 5, 2023 16:25

Elmo Lewis
Hairball

Paint It Ebony and Ivory?

No Mick in sight, no Keith in sight.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 5, 2023 18:52

ProfessorWolf
treaclefingers
Bungo

Now THAT, I could get behind. It took a PROFESSOR to figure it out (though not an English professor as otherwise statement would have been spelt correctly!) smileys with beer

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: March 5, 2023 19:58

It will be interesting to hear what they have come up with. In the early days of recording this album, they said “it has to marinate” in various interviews. The marinating part was many times a good thing for them. Loving Cup, Start Me Up, Brown Sugar etc. All examples of songs that had to spend a few years on the back burner before getting their due. I’m not saying we should expect an album of pure classics, but it’s certainly a good way to do it for this particular band.

JumpingKentFlash

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...620621622623624625626627628629630...LastNext
Current Page: 625 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1166
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home