Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...617618619620621622623624625626627...LastNext
Current Page: 622 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2023
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 25, 2023 20:17

All those years ago...1967.........

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: February 25, 2023 22:43

I bet this pic had Bill in it originally, and they photoshopped him out and replaced him with Paul ... winking smiley

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: February 25, 2023 23:34

Having Sir Paul play on a track is worth far more commercially than having Wyman play on a track.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 25, 2023 23:38

Correct-O ..... great career move by Paul

ROCKMAN

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: February 26, 2023 03:51

Given what we assume to be true about how Keith and Mick agreed to avoid a Bigger Bang redux — that is, Keith workshopping ideas with Steve — do we think Steve will get co-writing and producer credits on the new stuff? This was the custom when Keith brought Winos material to the Stones. Will it carry over to this new arrangement?

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: February 26, 2023 04:36

MelBelli
Given what we assume to be true about how Keith and Mick agreed to avoid a Bigger Bang redux — that is, Keith workshopping ideas with Steve — do we think Steve will get co-writing and producer credits on the new stuff? This was the custom when Keith brought Winos material to the Stones. Will it carry over to this new arrangement?

i wonder that to

given that steve is far more involved in the creation of this stones album then any other one he's contributed to in the past it seems possible he could be credited on more then a couple songs

another question given how hard seemingly this album was to complete did they ask for or use any songs brought by ronnie

and if so will we be seeing any credit given to him

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-26 04:41 by ProfessorWolf.

Date: February 26, 2023 04:46

ProfessorWolf
MelBelli

i wonder that to

given that steve is far more involved in the creation of this stones album then any other one he's contributed to in the past it seems possible he could be credited on more then a couple songs

another question given how hard seemingly this album was to complete did they ask for or use any songs brought by ronnie

All valid questions and speculation, and it makes you wonder....
And then there's master songwriter Paul McCartney....would the Stones ever share a credit with Macca?!!!
There's the tune Keith and Paul wrote together which could very well finally see the light of day on the new album!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 26, 2023 14:26

ProfessorWolf

They haven't give Ronnie a credit since what? DIRTY WORK? and supposedly used his song ideas either plus along the years Ronnie or anyone else has only talked about Mick and Keith's songs, so I guess it is unlikely that we will see a Ron Wood credition there.

For some reason, since the re-union in 1989 Ronnie has been left out from the creative heart of the Stones, dominated by Mick and Keith's courts. Odd man out? A pawn sacrified by both sides?

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-26 14:28 by Doxa.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: February 26, 2023 15:58

it sure feels like they "iced" him out....he's had a lot of great ideas...especially on the funk/dance side....love Ronnies work...too bad he isn't included more.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 26, 2023 19:37

Doxa
treaclefingers
Nikkei
Am I the only one who thinks this is not so cool? Until we get to hear it, the talk here is going to be fully delusional and then when it's out we're going to have a big collective shrug

It's a bunch of 80 year-old's having a bit of fun.

What's not to like, it's adorable!

I agree, it's adorable, but are we all really that old here? grinning smiley

- Doxa

Ha ha...well maybe/maybe not.

However if we're actually angst-ridden that our fave band (I think I can say that for most people on IORR - probably not all), after over 60 years in the biz, at the cusp of turning 80 are 'mixing it up' a bit by sleeping with the 'enemy' - then if we're not old we've most certainly completely lost of sense of humour.

Imagine, last year MACCA disses RS's a blues-only garage band (I know I'm misquoting), and now he's relegated to playing bass on one track for the new album.

That is hysterical...I'm sure even Paul would understand that's actually pretty funny.

Date: February 26, 2023 19:55

No offense to Ronnie, but his songwriting capability and musical ideas in general leaves a bit to be desired imo. Sure there are a few gems throughout the decades ( with the Faces, the Stones, and solo),
but those gems are very few and far between. His main focus since quitting drugs and alcohol a decade or so ago has been painting and his art career, though even his painting skills leave a bit to be desired.
I guess you could say he's a jack of all trades, and a master of none as the old saying goes. His role with the Stones has always been an adequate sideman whether studio or live (even though he's offically a "Stone").
The bottom line - glad he's happy and relatively healthy considering all he's been through with drugs, alcohol, and various serious health issues, and when all is said and done thats really what matters most.

Date: February 26, 2023 20:05

Hairball
No offense to Ronnie, but his songwriting capability and musical ideas in general leaves a bit to be desired imo. Sure there are a few gems throughout the decades ( with the Faces, the Stones, and solo),
but those gems are very few and far between. His main focus since quitting drugs and alcohol a decade or so ago has been painting and his art career, though even his painting skills leave a bit to be desired.
I guess you could say he's a jack of all trades, and a master of none as the old saying goes. His role with the Stones has always been an adequate sideman whether studio or live (even though he's offically a "Stone").
The bottom line - glad he's happy and relatively healthy considering all he's been through with drugs, alcohol, and various serious health issues, and when all is said and done thats really what matters most.

ok

so let's assume you've heard most of ronnie's solo material

even if it's not your cup of tea so to speak

could you at least agree that many of his solo songs if developed by mick and keith could have turned into good stones tracks?

that is if they let him contribute in a meaningful way towards writing songs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-26 20:13 by ProfessorWolf.

Date: February 26, 2023 20:12

Doxa
ProfessorWolf

They haven't give Ronnie a credit since what? DIRTY WORK? and supposedly used his song ideas either plus along the years Ronnie or anyone else has only talked about Mick and Keith's songs, so I guess it is unlikely that we will see a Ron Wood credition there.

For some reason, since the re-union in 1989 Ronnie has been left out from the creative heart of the Stones, dominated by Mick and Keith's courts. Odd man out? A pawn sacrified by both sides?

- Doxa

but do you think given mick and keith's repeated encounters with brickwalls in the creation of this album that they have likley been more open to ronnie's contributions this time?

i personally think some songs in the vein of his i feel like playing album could exist very nicely on a stones album after mick and keith give them there own personal touches

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: February 26, 2023 20:12

Hairball

he's some joker that got lucky.
He was at the right place at the right time. He joined the Stones too late to take part in and be a part of their major achievements but he joined the band soon enough to become a real member instead of just a sideman. Joining the band opened up a career for him that was/is way beyond his musical capabilities. That's why I call him a lucky man.

Date: February 26, 2023 20:16

ProfessorWolf
Hairball

ok

so let's assume you've hears most of ronnie's solo material

could you at least agree that many of his solo songs if developed by mick and keith could have turned into good stones tracks?

I agree that Mick and Keith could certainly help Ronnie's ideas develop further.
Whether or not they would turn in to "good stones tracks" is a bit uncertain with too many variables involved.
Would Mick sing lead? Would Keith sing lead? Would Ronnie himself sing lead? Would there be one of Keith "dynamite riffs" incorporated?
Would Mick turn it in to something edgy and contemporary? Maybe there would be a drum machine? Or maybe they could use some of Charlies recorded drumming?
Maybe a stripped down acoustic tune? Or maybe a full blown electric venture? Maybe it would have a reggae beat? Or maybe a blues romp? And who would produce it?
There's just way to much speculation to arrive at absolute answer or accurate conclusion. I'd have to hear it first to give an honest answer, but until then hard to say.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: February 26, 2023 20:18

Pure speculation — ‘tis the season for that! — but we all make WAY too much of the “hit the wall” supposition. There’s no reason to think writer’s block, or a lack of ideas, has been a problem. Reading between the lines, we can all get a sense of the dynamic: Mick favoring an efficient, streamlined process of recording well-developed demos; Keith wanting to sit down “eyeball to eyeball” with Mick and create from scratch.

Nowhere in those two models is it necessary to turn to Ronnie out of desperation.

Date: February 26, 2023 20:21

Hairball
ProfessorWolf
Hairball

ok

so let's assume you've hears most of ronnie's solo material

I agree that Mick and Keith could certainly help Ronnie's ideas develop further.
Whether or not they would turn in to "good stones tracks" is a bit uncertain with too many variables involved.
Would Mick sing lead? Would Keith sing lead? Would Ronnie himself sing lead? Would there be one of Keith "dynamite riffs" incorporated?
Would Mick turn it in to something edgy and contemporary? Maybe there would be a drum machine? Or maybe they could use some of Charlies recorded drumming?
Maybe a stripped down acoustic tune? Or maybe a full blown electric venture? Maybe it would have a reggae beat? Or maybe a blues romp? And who would produce it?
There's just way to much speculation to arrive at absolute answer or accurate conclusion. I'd have to hear it first to give an honest answer, but until then hard to say.

fair enough i suppose

Date: February 26, 2023 20:25

MelBelli
Pure speculation — ‘tis the season for that! — but we all make WAY too much of the “hit the wall” supposition. There’s no reason to think writer’s block, or a lack of ideas, has been a problem. Reading between the lines, we can all get a sense of the dynamic: Mick favoring an efficient, streamlined process of recording well-developed demos; Keith wanting to sit down “eyeball to eyeball” with Mick and create from scratch.

Nowhere in those two models is it necessary to turn to Ronnie out of desperation.

ah now that's something i hadn't considered (but should have)

well in that case i could see ronnie being left out this time as well

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 26, 2023 22:14

ProfessorWolf
MelBelli

ah now that's something i hadn't considered (but should have)

well in that case i could see ronnie being left out this time as well

Yeah, we could add that this album is nothing they do out of necessity, like they'd be desperate to gather enough material to get something out (those times are long gone). Like we had seen there had not been any deadlines. It is a Mick and Keith thing, their 'baby'. It's their muse that matters here. In the case of there'd been a real 'hitting a wall', and Mick and Keith had came into a conclusion that their well has dried out, or that they cannot overcome their artistic differences that would have been the end of this project. As we see that is not the case here.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-26 22:20 by Doxa.

Posted by: wupperstein ()
Date: February 26, 2023 23:41

Hairball

You have no idea. I think Ronnie is a good painter and also a good guitarist!

Posted by: wupperstein ()
Date: February 26, 2023 23:46

@Hairball: What would the live versions of You Got The Silver be without Ronnie? Nothing!

Date: February 27, 2023 00:23

MelBelli

I think the impact of "hitting the wall" has been underestimated and downplayed by some. It was way back in October 2016 when Don Was said:

"We'd gone in the studio to start cutting some new songs. Around day three we just hit a wall".

From there they did a blues cover tune, followed by another, and yet another, and another...supposedly all within a two or three day stretch resulting in the Blue and Lonesome blues covers album. It was a either a happy accident for the band, or one could say they took the easy way out...spitting out an albums worth of covers without much thought, and then releasing it. Something they could have done blindfolded. While the results were mixed as far as fans are concerned, it was surprisingly succesful sales wise (and it won blues category Grammy), but alas it was simply a covers album that many other artists had already done previously - including Aerosmith with their blues covers album. In hindsight, it appears Blue and Lonesome was a detour and a way to break free from the "wall" that Don Was spoke about, but now close to seven years later there still is no new album of originals...it's been a very lengthy detour for a varity of reasons. Things are beginning to sound very promising with all the recent rumours, and the official news of Macca's involvement, but still have to have patience. The delay of the tour announcement, along with the delay of the tour itself, will undoubtedly result in a delay of releasing the new album. Seven years since they started it, and 18 years and counting since the last new album of originals, the time certainly seems right for a new album. That said, you never know where this lengthy and twisted saga will lead to next, but we can only hope there will be no more walls involved.....

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 27, 2023 00:29

of course you would....
You havent stopped talking about it ...

ROCKMAN

Date: February 27, 2023 00:36

slewan
Hairball

He was at the right place at the right time. He joined the Stones too late to take part in and be a part of their major achievements but he joined the band soon enough to become a real member instead of just a sideman. Joining the band opened up a career for him that was/is way beyond his musical capabilities. That's why I call him a lucky man.

Might have been interesting if Ronnie had joined up with Ringo who has also been called lucky throughout the years.

The Ronnie and Ringo Show...has a nice ring to it....

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: February 27, 2023 15:26

Hairball
slewan
Hairball

Might have been interesting if Ronnie had joined up with Ringo who has also been called lucky throughout the years.

Just a lil RNR!!!! drinking smiley

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: February 27, 2023 17:14

Rockman
of course you would....
You havent stopped talking about it ...

I think he hit the wall around day three. winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-27 17:14 by Topi.

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: February 27, 2023 21:33

thumbs up

Date: February 27, 2023 21:35

slewan
Hairball

thumbs up

Date: February 27, 2023 21:40

Hairball
slewan
Hairball

They could fill out the group with Garfunkel and Oates.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 27, 2023 21:46

Bungo
Hairball
slewan
Hairball

They could fill out the group with Garfunkel and Oates.

LOL

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...617618619620621622623624625626627...LastNext
Current Page: 622 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1673
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home