Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...610611612613614615616617618619620...LastNext
Current Page: 615 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2023
Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: February 19, 2023 21:01

@GerardHennessy,
I was referring to Irix's mention of Kraftwerk - an interesting case for comparison.

Apart from that, I don't think that Mick lost interest in creating new music, I rather believe that Mick is content now to write songs just for his own pleasure and no longer feels the urge (or sees the need) to take the pains to record them with the band. For whatever reason.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-19 21:06 by doitywoik.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: February 19, 2023 21:30

Kraftwerk (plus some other artists) and the Stones have one more thing in common to compare them with - their signature sound. You hear a track and know immediately: 'that's the Stones' (or Kraftwerk). And with their signature sounds, they have the difficulty of not copying themselves when they create new music.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: February 21, 2023 00:28

Interesting thought, you could look differently at the riffs you hear on ABB when you think of them as the riffs that remain when you try not to repeat any of your previous riffs. Maybe it's a rather narrow corridor to move around.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: February 21, 2023 03:14

georgelicks

Since then we've had archival releases, a few new songs for compilations, and a blues record that was released for the Christmas market and was a totally unexpected hit selling 2.5 million copies, totally unheard of in today's streaming-dominated market.

That is where we are today, year 2023.
thanks for your post!!...always interesting....

B & L surprised maybe because it sounded authentic...it sounded like the STones....and people either love this band for what they do or they don't...I just hope the new record sounds like them...they sounded alive on B & L...rather than trying too hard to make a hit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-21 03:16 by Rip This.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: February 21, 2023 08:08

Now see I have a completely opposite view of B&L and think it sounds forced and far too compressed. It sounds like a bunch of old guys trying to play the blues. It doesn’t feel loose at all to me. But hey to each their own. Most on here love it. I rarely ever listen to it. For me they’re far looser on all the b-sides Mick cranks out in 5 minutes.

But I do definitely agree and hope that they’re loose on the new album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-21 15:28 by VoodooLounge13.

Posted by: tiffanyblu ()
Date: February 21, 2023 09:53

VoodooLounge13
Now see I have a completely opposite view of B&L and think it sounds forced and far too compressed. It sounds like a bunch of old guys trying to play the blues. It doesn’t feel loose at all to me. But hey to each their own. Most in here love it. I rarely ever listen to it. For me they’re far looser on all the b-sides Mick cranks out in 5 minutes.

I agree. While there are some good tunes the songs are way to compressed and does not give anything "extra" IMO.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: February 21, 2023 11:03

VoodooLounge13
Now see I have a completely opposite view of B&L and think it sounds forced and far too compressed. It sounds like a bunch of old guys trying to play the blues. It doesn’t feel loose at all to me. But hey to each their own. Most in here love it. I rarely ever listen to it. For me they’re far looser on all the b-sides Mick cranks out in 5 minutes.

I agree. I think their debut album was a much more interesting blues album. Technically, maybe, less advanced, but more spontaneous, enthusiastic and "real". And "loose". They were having simply having fun without trying to obediently copy their heroes.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: February 21, 2023 23:09

Rolling Stones Recording With Paul McCartney — and Ringo?

By Shirley Halperin, Jem Aswad

Almost 60 years since first meeting, it looks like the Rolling Stones and the two surviving Beatles may come together on a new Stones album. Variety hears from multiple sources that Paul McCartney has recorded bass parts for a forthcoming Rolling Stones project being helmed by 2021 Grammy producer of the year Andrew Watt. Ringo Starr is also slated to play on the yet-to-be-announced album.

Recording sessions took place in Los Angeles in recent weeks and, while it’s unclear which tracks will make the final cut — or whether McCartney and Starr would end up on the same song — the album’s production is nearing the mixing phase. Frontman Mick Jagger said in 2021 that the group has “a lot of tracks done,” and guitarist Keith Richards said in a New Year’s Instagram post last month that “There’s some new music on its way.”

Watt, who shared two Grammys at the Feb. 5 ceremony for his work with Ozzy Osbourne, has become the go-to for veteran rock acts, despite having a discography that leans heavily into pop terrain — like Justin Bieber’s “Peaches” and Dua Lipa’s “Break My Heart.” The guitar virtuoso has himself sat in with such legacy acts as Pearl Jam, Iggy Pop and, of course, Ozzy. He also boasts a close relationship with Elton John, with whom he worked on John’s “Lockdown Sessions” in 2020, which included the Dua Lipa-assisted “Cold Heart,” and the Britney Spears-John duet “Hold Me Closer” in 2021.

McCartney and Watt have worked together in the past. In a 2021 interview, he said as much, describing a meeting with the producer. “I went around for a cup of tea, and of course we ended up making a track,” said McCartney. More recently, he was asked in a Q&A posted on his official website what he was looking forward to in 2023. Said the Beatle: “I’ve been recording with a couple of people, so I’m looking forward to doing even more. I’ve started working with this producer called Andrew Watt, and he’s very interesting — we’ve had some fun.” Though he did add, “Beyond that, I don’t have anything massive planned … at the moment!”

Variety has reached out to reps for the Stones, McCartney, Starr and Watt for comment.

The Stones, who have not issued a new album of original material since 2005’s “A Bigger Bang,” have been at work on new full-length for years, with occasional new songs released as singles or as part of a long string of greatest-hits collections connected to their semi-annual tours. Their last album of newly recorded material was “Blue & Lonesome,” a collection of blues covers released in 2016 and featuring Eric Clapton on two songs.

Whatever form the Stones’ next studio album takes, it is very likely to include songs recorded with the group’s legendary founding drummer Charlie Watts, who passed away in 2021 at the age of 80. While the group has since toured with longtime friend and collaborator Steve Jordan on drums, Jagger and Richards confirmed in a 2021 Los Angeles Times interview that Watts — who missed just one concert in nearly 60 years as the Stones’ drummer — had recorded his parts for a number of songs before his death. “Let me put it this way,” Richards said. “You haven’t heard the last of Charlie Watts.”

Despite their long acquaintance and fierce but (usually) outwardly friendly rivalry, members of the Beatles and Rolling Stones have rarely collaborated musically. The Stones’ second single (and first hit) was a cover of the Lennon-McCartney composition “I Wanna Be Your Man” in 1963, although no Beatles performed on that recording.

Four years later, Lennon and McCartney sang backing vocals on the Stones’ single “We Love You” in a show of generational support: The song, hardly the Stones’ best, celebrated the overturning of a trumped-up drug conviction that saw Mick Jagger and Keith Richards briefly jailed. That same year, Stones multi-instrumentalist Brian Jones played saxophone on a Beatles track that ultimately became the jokey B-side “You Know My Name (Look Up the Number),” although it wasn’t released until 1970. Not surprisingly, 1967 — the year of the “Summer of Love” — was probably the high point in Beatles-Stones relations: They even saluted each other on the covers of their albums released that year, “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band” and “Their Satanic Majesties Request.”

In November of 1968, Lennon and Yoko Ono performed two songs for the concert TV special “The Rolling Stones’ Rock and Roll Circus” (which was not released until 1996) as part of a one-off supergroup that also featured Richards on bass, Clapton on lead guitar and Jimi Hendrix Experience drummer Mitch Mitchell.

Over the following years, various Beatles and Stones not named Lennon, McCartney, Jagger or Richards would cross paths in the studio when guesting on sessions by artists including Leon Russell and Billy Preston, amid occasional potshots at each other in the press.

Yet even as the bandmembers became octogenarians, the rivalry remains. In 2021 McCartney said of the Stones, “they’re a blues cover band, that’s sort of what the Stones are. I think our net was cast a bit wider than theirs.” Just a few weeks later, Jagger shot back at the group’s Los Angeles concert that McCartney was in the audience and would “join us in a blues cover.”

New Rolling Stones recordings would be released through Universal Music Group worldwide. While no announcement had been made at the time of this article’s publication, the Rolling Stones have toured every year since 2012 (except 2020, dates for which were postponed to the following year) and a 2023 summer tour seems very likely.

[variety.com]

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: February 21, 2023 23:54

Rumors no longer limited to this thread. Thanks, Cristiano.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 22, 2023 00:07

Now, that would be fun to have Macca on bass and Ringo on drums in the same song. Musically the worst rhythm section on a Stones recording ever, naturally - so much below the high standard we are used to - but that's not the point always..

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-22 00:08 by Doxa.

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: February 22, 2023 00:22

smoking smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 22, 2023 02:59

The Stones could use some HELP! to finish the album!!

18 years and counting...

Date: February 22, 2023 04:20

Rip This
georgelicks

Since then we've had archival releases, a few new songs for compilations, and a blues record that was released for the Christmas market and was a totally unexpected hit selling 2.5 million copies, totally unheard of in today's streaming-dominated market.

B & L surprised maybe because it sounded authentic...it sounded like the STones....and people either love this band for what they do or they don't...I just hope the new record sounds like them...they sounded alive on B & L...rather than trying too hard to make a hit.

To me, B&L is a winner also because it is a quite varied album. It never gets boring.

Date: February 22, 2023 04:25

Cristiano Radtke
Recording sessions took place in Los Angeles in recent weeks
— the album’s production is nearing the mixing phase.

[variety.com]

What does "recent" refer to? Recent weeks in 2023?

"... nearing the mixing phase" - sounds like still some way to go...

At any rate, if the article is talking about 2023, this would indicate that the album in progress is still quite in progress, and also might explain for certain delays.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: February 22, 2023 04:54

doitywoik
Cristiano Radtke

[variety.com]

At any rate, if the article is talking about 2023, this would indicate that the album in progress is still quite in progress, and also might explain for certain delays.

think they mean recent months not weeks

Date: February 22, 2023 05:05

ProfessorWolf
doitywoik
Cristiano Radtke

[variety.com]

think they mean recent months not weeks

They could have meant recent years....it's definitely been a work in progress. Add Paul, Ringo, Stevie Wonder, Dua Lips, Taylor Swift, and quite a few others, and it might just get done some day?!!!
Can't wait, but in the meantime wishing they would release a teaser snippet, or even a full single ...maybe Mick and Paul will duet on the tune that was written by Keith and Paul a decade ago...

18 years and counting...............

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-22 05:07 by Hairball.

Posted by: Jimmy C ()
Date: February 22, 2023 05:57

I'm guessing Andrew Watt producing maybe very polarizing for some, but I think that's great news. They need someone new. And I think he has done great work overall on the last two Ozzy Osbourne records. And the Paul and Ringo contribution will definitely be interesting.

Posted by: Bosmatic1 ()
Date: February 22, 2023 06:02

There seems to be a lot of skepticism or worry about the new album but I think we will all be in for a great treat when it comes.

Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: February 22, 2023 07:34

doitywoik
Rip This
georgelicks

To me, B&L is a winner also because it is a quite varied album. It never gets boring.

For me Blue And Lonesome is one of their best albums. Full of energy, not trying whatever, just be themselves and all these great Blues numbers come out of them very natural. It's a joy listening to it from the beginning to the end.
It's hard to top this. The new album will be very different. That's the only thing I'm sure about.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-22 07:34 by micha063.

Date: February 22, 2023 08:37

Bosmatic1
There seems to be a lot of skepticism or worry about the new album but I think we will all be in for a great treat when it comes.

It's been a long and winding road since the last album of originals (18+ years), but with a little help from their friends, I've got a feeling it could finally come together.
Then they can get back to touring, and play here, there, and everywhere, but then again tomorrow never knows...

Macca and Ringo on the Stones' new album??
Posted by: micwer ()
Date: February 21, 2023 23:11

That would be crazy. Can't wait!

[variety.com]

Re: Macca and Ringo on the Stones' new album??
Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: February 21, 2023 23:13

Merge.

This is already on the new album thread.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: February 22, 2023 01:01

"The Stones going really hard at it to get the perhaps ultimate record right" seems to be mutually exclusive with "The Stones bring in what's left of Sgt Peppers lonely hearts club band" At least I hope it is

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: February 22, 2023 01:48

I’d rather hear Bill Wyman and Mick Taylor as guests, particularly Bill

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 22, 2023 02:03

Not even The Glimmers can save Lavatory Lil .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 22, 2023 02:07

Rockman
Not even The Glimmers can save Lavatory Lil .....

I thought the Beggar's cover was an homage to Lav Lil?!

Date: February 22, 2023 02:27

Turd On Thee Run .... now thats Stones

ROCKMAN

Date: February 22, 2023 02:28

Rockman
Turd On Thee Run .... now thats Stones

I thought Macca did that in 74, along with "Airplane" or something.

Date: February 22, 2023 02:32

Screamin Jay Hawkins ... beat em all to the push ...

Heck those Constipation moans even influenced people like Donna Summers ...

ROCKMAN

Date: February 22, 2023 02:37

Rockman
Screamin Jay Hawkins ... beat em all to the push ...

Heck those Constipation moans even influenced people like Donna Summers ...

I'm thinking some of the Mick utterances on Fingerprint File put Donna to shame.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...610611612613614615616617618619620...LastNext
Current Page: 615 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1426
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home