Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...609610611612613614615616617618619...LastNext
Current Page: 614 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2023
Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: February 18, 2023 02:45

Well, I for one, really look forward to James Bond's new album. There should be a few ballads, a few bangers, and world music galore. I hear there's going to be a killer slide whistle solo.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 18, 2023 03:51

GerardHennessy
DandelionPowderman
GerardHennessy

And we STILL don't know for sure it will actually get completed at all.

You don't trust Bjørnulf's posts about the new album? I do (and I'm just as impatient about the new album as the other fan).

No disrespect to BV or yourself sir, but I'll reserve judgement please, if I may. We have been in this kind of territory before. Many times. I will never get my hopes up too high. However IF I'm wrong, then I shall be delighted. Have no doubt about that. And, if a new album does indeed appear I hope you enjoy every second of it to the full.

Do the hip shake baby!

Look no further than the very first post in this thread, and one of the many edits from Bjornulf where he states back in 2018:

IORR Editor update Oct-2018:
The new album have taken some time, but they aim at finishing it hopefully for the upcoming Nort America tour 2019.

Little did we know that there would still be NO album in 2019, nor in 2020, nor in 2021, nor in 2022, and now NOT in 2023!
This could be the lucky year (or maybe not?), but it's a shame they couldn't get it finished before Charlie passed away.

Looking forward to it some day...hopefully.

18 years and counting..............

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-18 03:51 by Hairball.

Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: February 18, 2023 04:45

jahisnotdead
Well, I for one, really look forward to James Bond's new album. There should be a few ballads, a few bangers, and world music galore. I hear there's going to be a killer slide whistle solo.

Funny you should mention in jest Bond music, as I actually have a vast collection of not only all the Bond theme songs, but also the secondary songs and numerous rejected Bond theme songs. But my Stones collection still rules! grinning smiley

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: February 18, 2023 05:23

sf37
jahisnotdead

Funny you should mention in jest Bond music, as I actually have a vast collection of not only all the Bond theme songs, but also the secondary songs and numerous rejected Bond theme songs. But my Stones collection still rules! grinning smiley

That's a wild coincidence. I was listening to my little collection of official and unofficial James Bond songs just last night. That's very cool that you're into Bond music too. smileys with beer

Date: February 18, 2023 08:53

jahisnotdead
sf37
jahisnotdead

That's a wild coincidence. I was listening to my little collection of official and unofficial James Bond songs just last night. That's very cool that you're into Bond music too. smileys with beer

Please feel free to e-mail me if you like, if you're interested in comparing unofficial Bond song lists. Perhaps we each have a few hard-to-find MP3s that we could add to each other's collection.

In the meantime, just like everyone else here, I'm eagerly anticipating some Stones updates on the album and tour! Hopefully sooner than later. Cheers!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 18, 2023 10:27

eeeerrrr did Odd-Job ever release a single ????????

ROCKMAN

Date: February 18, 2023 10:43

Rockman
eeeerrrr did Odd-Job ever release a single ????????

He played the bowler hi-hat on "One Hit (To The Body)". >grinning smiley<

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: February 18, 2023 10:49

By releasing the new Stones album in 2023 they will have surpassed the Chinese Democracy threshold of 17 years between albums of new material.
The last Stones release being in 2005, 18 years ago.
Though both bands released records in the meantime,The Dogshit Incident and Blew and Loathsome,they were covers albums.
So the Stones win. They actually wasted more time than a slightly mentally ill Axl Rose.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 18, 2023 11:06

HEY thats a good come-back sf37 ...... classic

ROCKMAN

Date: February 18, 2023 11:37

Rockman
HEY thats a good come-back sf37 ...... classic

Well thank you, kind sir! thumbs up

Date: February 18, 2023 11:59

lem motlow
By releasing the new Stones album in 2023 they will have surpassed the Chinese Democracy threshold of 17 years between albums of new material.
Though both bands released records in the meantime,The Dogshit Incident and Blew and Loathsome,they were covers albums.
So the Stones win. They actually wasted more time than a slightly mentally ill Axl Rose.

Amazing to think of such a long length of time passing between albums of original material, for both GNR and the Stones. Off the top of my head, I can only think of The Eagles being a band with an even longer stretch between albums of original material (28 years between "The Long Run" in 1979 and "The Long Road Out Of Eden" in 2007), though I'm pretty sure there must be other bands with even longer claims.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: February 18, 2023 13:30

sf37

I can only think of The Eagles being a band with an even longer stretch between albums of original material

In electronic music it's Kraftwerk: 2nd last album in 1986, last album in 2003, no new album since then (fans are waiting), but permanently worldwide on tour & still relevant.

Posted by: deeeskannnie ()
Date: February 18, 2023 14:13

Hairball
The natives are getting restless...again...

18 years and counting....

…More like the select circle of IORR ‘demi-gods’ proclaiming from the top of their Mount Olympus what the topics of discussion should be and what opinions people ought to have. It’d be hilarious if it hadn’t become so boring and tedious…
After something like 20 years over here I finally realised, to the fullest extent, that I don’t need this.
Do continue to enjoy talking amongst yourselves.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: February 18, 2023 14:52

sf37
lem motlow

Amazing to think of such a long length of time passing between albums of original material, for both GNR and the Stones. Off the top of my head, I can only think of The Eagles being a band with an even longer stretch between albums of original material (28 years between "The Long Run" in 1979 and "The Long Road Out Of Eden" in 2007), though I'm pretty sure there must be other bands with even longer claims.

Chuck Berry released Rockit in 1979 and then Chuck in 2017. He died inbetween though..

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: February 18, 2023 15:57

sf37
lem motlow

The Eagles had broken up though. The Stones have continued to roll throughout. And even GNR to some extent played some gigs though in large part they were also in flux. Abba also springs to mind but again they’d split up as well. Of actual still functioning and touring bands that haven’t stopped or broken up, I do believe the Stones stand alone atop the mountain for longest stretch between albums of original material.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-19 04:08 by VoodooLounge13.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 18, 2023 17:35

deeeskannnie
…More like the select circle of IORR ‘demi-gods’ proclaiming from the top of their Mount Olympus what the topics of discussion should be and what opinions people ought to have. It’d be hilarious if it hadn’t become so boring and tedious…
After something like 20 years over here I finally realised, to the fullest extent, that I don’t need this.

Don't leave us! We'll wash the dishes, cook you a nice meal, and never complain again! Please come back! Our lives have no meaning without you!

Date: February 18, 2023 19:53

VoodooLounge13
sf37
lem motlow

The Eagles had broken up though. The Stones have continued to roll throughout. And even GNR to some extent played some gigs though in large part they were also in flux. Abba also sprigs to mind but again they’d split up as well. Of actual still functioning and touring bands that haven’t stopped or broken up, I do believe the Stones stand alone atop the mountain for longest stretch between albums of original material.[[/b]/quote]

Good points, VoodooLounge13, I believe you may be correct (particularly if we are strictly talking cohesive bands, and are excluding solo artists such as Chuck Berry).

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-18 20:02 by sf37.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 18, 2023 20:01

deeeskannnie
Hairball
The natives are getting restless...again...

18 years and counting....

With your reply, you have proven my point...the natives are getting restless...again...yes indeed.

And I believe you should have replied to the person you were having issues with on the previous page though rather than I who was simply attempting to diffuse and lighten up the situation.
I'm all for open discussion, freedom of thought, freedom of speech, and freedom in general! But with the lack of a new album (18 years and counting), and the recent cancellation of the tour announcement (grrr),
it's understandable why tensions might be running high. It does seem though that many take themselves and the Stones way too seriously at times ...they just need look in the mirror and remind themselves...

It's Only Rock and Roll (But I Like It)....

18 years and counting.........GRRRR.....

Date: February 18, 2023 20:06

Deleted (double post)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-18 20:09 by sf37.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 18, 2023 20:41

Steely Dan went 20 years 1980-2000 without a new album. They were always the outlier. They didn't tour that much the first time around, and then almost relentlessly after 2000.

I wouldn't say the Rolling Stones album hiatus is comparable because they have released 'new' material in the form of refurbished cuts like Plundered My Soul and actual new songs like Doom and Gloom and Living In A Ghost Town.

Date: February 18, 2023 21:41

24FPS
Steely Dan went 20 years 1980-2000 without a new album. They were always the outlier. They didn't tour that much the first time around, and then almost relentlessly after 2000.

I wouldn't say the Rolling Stones album hiatus is comparable because they have released 'new' material in the form of refurbished cuts like Plundered My Soul and actual new songs like Doom and Gloom and Living In A Ghost Town.

True enough about the Stones - even though they are lacking an album of original material for the past 18 years, they have been a continuous unit in releasing pockets of new material over that time frame. I believe Steely Dan, however, did formally disband in the early 80s before reforming again a decade or so later.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: February 18, 2023 23:37

sf37
lem motlow

I don't find it so strange, if I think that at their age they are free from contractual obligations, so the new album is right that they do it if they feel like it and when they feel like it and if they have something to say. If I think it took my mom 24 years to give me a brother, what's the problem?

Date: February 19, 2023 01:10

Testify
sf37
lem motlow

I don't find it so strange, if I think that at their age they are free from contractual obligations, so the new album is right that they do it if they feel like it and when they feel like it and if they have something to say. If I think it took my mom 24 years to give me a brother, what's the problem?

Certainly no problem - as you say, if they have no contractual obligations, they are free to do things as they do choose, especially given their age and legacy. Nothing but respect. Perhaps my choice of the word "amazing" was the wrong word - "intriguing" or "inspiring" to see them carry on after all this time might be a better description.

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: February 19, 2023 06:32

With all apologies, the Stones and the Eagles should not even be used in the same sentence!!!

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: February 19, 2023 10:59

Irix
sf37

I can only think of The Eagles being a band with an even longer stretch between albums of original material

In electronic music it's Kraftwerk: 2nd last album in 1986, last album in 2003, no new album since then (fans are waiting), but permanently worldwide on tour & still relevant.

I don't think they will make another album (also, they never said they were working on new stuff, did they?). Relevant? Very much 70s.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: February 19, 2023 12:35

sf37
Testify
sf37
lem motlow

Certainly no problem - as you say, if they have no contractual obligations, they are free to do things as they do choose, especially given their age and legacy. Nothing but respect. Perhaps my choice of the word "amazing" was the wrong word - "intriguing" or "inspiring" to see them carry on after all this time might be a better description.
I remember some interviews with Mick where he says how boring work in the recording studio is.
I think that in recent years they have preferred live performances, simply because they have more fun and I assume it is also more profitable, but certainly much more tiring.
In fact it's strange... at their age the recording room would be much more restful than live concerts around the world, yet they preferred concerts... surely they don't lack material to play and they could even amaze by playing occasionally songs that have never been played live.
I'm happy anyway if a new album comes, with new songs, I can't wait.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: February 19, 2023 13:00

doitywoik
Irix

I don't think they will make another album (also, they never said they were working on new stuff, did they?). Relevant? Very much 70s.

That Kraftwerk will make another album, there I also have some doubts .... but you never know. When asked in 2009, Ralf Hütter said about a new album: "Soon. Very soon. We work 168 hours a week in our Kling-Klang studio." - [RP-Online.de] , [www.Stern.de] . Relevant? Maybe like Elvis or the Beatles. At least Kraftwerk is still on Tour and people still come to their concerts - worldwide. Must be their 70s flair .... winking smiley

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: February 19, 2023 18:24

Perhaps this was the remixes album that came out last year.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: February 19, 2023 18:55

Testify
sf37
Testify
sf37
lem motlow

I remember some interviews with Mick where he says how boring work in the recording studio is.
I think that in recent years they have preferred live performances, simply because they have more fun and I assume it is also more profitable, but certainly much more tiring.
In fact it's strange... at their age the recording room would be much more restful than live concerts around the world, yet they preferred concerts... surely they don't lack material to play and they could even amaze by playing occasionally songs that have never been played live.
I'm happy anyway if a new album comes, with new songs, I can't wait.

When Mick stopped of having hit singles or popular songs on the radio his desire to make new music faded, until B2B every new song by the Stones had an impact on the radio or TV, after the failure of GITD the only thing that motivated Mick is to dedicate himself to playing the old and impressive catalog of the Stones live, the 40th anniversary (40 Licks) helped a lot in this trend, yet he was even convinced by Keith to give the Stones another chance and record an almost intimate album, just the 2 of them and recorded at his home, no studios, back to basics... but the material was nothing memorable and the record went almost unnoticed by the general public, the trend from VL to ABB is that each one sold half of the previous record: 6.5m - 4m - 2.5m and for Mick it was enough, better to leave the legacy of the Stones there and dedicate himself to play live or other things in life.

Since then we've had archival releases, a few new songs for compilations, and a blues record that was released for the Christmas market and was a totally unexpected hit selling 2.5 million copies, totally unheard of in today's streaming-dominated market.

Once again he was convinced to try to make a new Stones album after more than a decade, but he wants something really good, without deadlines, without strings attached and it takes as long as it takes (5-7-8 years, whatever) until he is satisfied with the material, with no hit singles in sigh (who knows now if Dua Lipa is involved, she had 7 hit singles from her last album...) at least leave one last album that is the best possible, even if it takes 10 years to finish it.

That is where we are today, year 2023.

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: February 19, 2023 18:55

doitywoik
Irix
sf37

If you are referring to The Stones not making a new album I'm inclined to agree with you. For a couple of weeks it seemed the information trickling out from the band seemed to contain a tad more substance than usual. But its all gone very quiet again. That might mean anything. That nothing is happening! Or that something is happening, but slowly!. That a creative impasse has been reached! Again! That their opinions cannot be reconciled! Or that scheduling difficulties have kicked things into the long grass! Or a dozen other complications have arisen!

Sadly I no longer put any faith in statements from the band members themselves. Especially Keith and Ronnie. I do not say this in criticism. Or disrespectfully. Simply that their optimism gets the better of them sometimes, and they get carried away with enthusiasm, especially in interview.

For me the jury is out. But I may be completely wrong about all of this. And I hope I am...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...609610611612613614615616617618619...LastNext
Current Page: 614 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1799
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home