Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...606607608609610611612613614615616...LastNext
Current Page: 611 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2023
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 6, 2023 23:50

Keith said Bill's greatest attribute as a bassist was timing. And so was his departure. They were running on fumes as far as original sound/songwriting was concerned on Steel Wheels. They would then cannibalize their work, turning out, for the most part, songs that hearkened to earlier, greater achievements. He would have been stuck playing the same greatest hits over and over until he was extremely rich, and too old to enjoy it.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 7, 2023 03:43

I would be quite fine to find myself "stuck" playing greatest hits to huge audiences around the world while growing obscenely wealthy. Just imagine working 14 days a year outside of rehearsals and the odd session. What a tough life.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 7, 2023 06:44

Rocky Dijon
I would be quite fine to find myself "stuck" playing greatest hits to huge audiences around the world while growing obscenely wealthy. Just imagine working 14 days a year outside of rehearsals and the odd session. What a tough life.

At one point Charlie said it was 5 years working, 20 years hanging around.

I think we're up to 7 years working, 53 years hanging round.

Date: February 7, 2023 07:09

Rocky Dijon

Bill was already wealthy. He just came off their most profitable tours, Steel Wheels in America, Japan, and the Urban Jungle tour of Europe. His personal life was in shambles. He wanted to do different things, and he was in his mid-fifties. He had money. More money couldn't buy one minute of time.

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: February 7, 2023 20:12

24FPS
Rocky Dijon

Bill was already wealthy. He just came off their most profitable tours, Steel Wheels in America, Japan, and the Urban Jungle tour of Europe. His personal life was in shambles. He wanted to do different things, and he was in his mid-fifties. He had money. More money couldn't buy one minute of time.

I do believe that, for some people, there comes a time when playing the same stuff over and over becomes a bore. It is not about being deeply unhappy, or feeling stuck, or getting more money or anything like that. It is about wanting a different kind of on-stage experience. In Bill's case of course that means playing different types of venues, to different kinds of audiences, with different musicians. Good luck to him!

For others, as MAY be the case with Mick and Keith, they are perfectly happy doing what they do. It is NOT boring, or repetitive, or unfulfilling for them. And Mick, ever the arch pragmatist, will always prioritise maximising ticket sales.

Those of us who want a bit more variety are very much in the minority nowadays. Not even nearly sizeable enough to be considered when set lists are decided and performances planned.

Oh well...!!!

Date: February 7, 2023 21:22

GerardHennessy
24FPS
Rocky Dijon

I do believe that, for some people, there comes a time when playing the same stuff over and over becomes a bore. It is not about being deeply unhappy, or feeling stuck, or getting more money or anything like that. It is about wanting a different kind of on-stage experience. In Bill's case of course that means playing different types of venues, to different kinds of audiences, with different musicians. Good luck to him!

For others, as MAY be the case with Mick and Keith, they are perfectly happy doing what they do. It is NOT boring, or repetitive, or unfulfilling for them. And Mick, ever the arch pragmatist, will always prioritise maximising ticket sales.

Those of us who want a bit more variety are very much in the minority nowadays. Not even nearly sizeable enough to be considered when set lists are decided and performances planned.

Oh well...!!!

I can understand Mick and Keith's interest. They wrote those songs. They benefit immensely from royalties by promoting them. Not to mention the satisfaction (no pun intended) of having created those works. I can also understand Charlie raking in the ever increasing big bucks to support his elite habits, like raising thoroughbred horses. Or Ronnie. Where else would Ron Wood make the millions that he does? Rumors of Bill wanting out of the Stones had circulated for years. Remember Busta Cherry? Being a child of war torn Britain, he decided to wait it out until he was financially set. Now the poor guy is estimated to only have a pot of $80 Million. But he scrapes by somehow in his castle, or home in Southern France.

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: February 7, 2023 22:49

Who was Busta Cherry? The Busta Cherry Jones on Wikipedia was from Memphis and died in 1995.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: February 8, 2023 00:55

24FPS
Rocky Dijon

Plus I remember reading his fear of flying was getting worse.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 8, 2023 03:09

donvis
Who was Busta Cherry? The Busta Cherry Jones on Wikipedia was from Memphis and died in 1995.

Busta "Cherry" Jones was rumored to have been considered as a replacement for Bill around the time of EMOTIONAL RESCUE's release when Bill earned headlines for having stated he intended to quit the band in 1982. Bill later claimed he was misquoted and had only told the journalist that 1982 might be a good time for the band to retire being their 20th anniversary. Mick and Keith did see Busta Jones play club dates in New York at this time, but allegedly it was just to see him perform and not because he was being looked at as a replacement for Bill.

As far as I know, this was the extent of it. Interested if others know more.

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: February 8, 2023 04:30

Rocky Dijon
donvis

Busta "Cherry" Jones was rumored to have been considered as a replacement for Bill around the time of EMOTIONAL RESCUE's release when Bill earned headlines for having stated he intended to quit the band in 1982. Bill later claimed he was misquoted and had only told the journalist that 1982 might be a good time for the band to retire being their 20th anniversary. Mick and Keith did see Busta Jones play club dates in New York at this time, but allegedly it was just to see him perform and not because he was being looked at as a replacement for Bill.

Thank you. I read that wrong that it was Busta Cherry who lived in France with $80 million. My mistake!

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: February 8, 2023 11:16

GerardHennessy
24FPS
Rocky Dijon

Oh well...!!!
I agree ! Bill was fed up with the big tours and made his decision, in my opinion the others continued to enjoy themselves and therefore continued, in my opinion Bill had the temptation to leave already many years before.
On the other hand we are not all the same and I think continuing with the RS was still challenging, with tours that lasted almost 2 years on average.
I don't think money played a big role, but it certainly allowed them to be able to invest in personal projects.

Date: February 8, 2023 13:48

GerardHennessy

I do believe that, for some people, there comes a time when playing the same stuff over and over becomes a bore. It is not about being deeply unhappy, or feeling stuck, or getting more money or anything like that. It is about wanting a different kind of on-stage experience.

I don't see any resemblance between the setlists of his last three tours (1978, 1981/82 and 1989/90). On the contrary, they played a lot of new stuff, as well as several songs they hadn't played before on those tours, including SW/UJ which was his last tour before he quit.

So I doubt repetitive setlists had anything to do with his decision to leave the group.

Date: February 8, 2023 14:37

DandelionPowderman
GerardHennessy

I do believe that, for some people, there comes a time when playing the same stuff over and over becomes a bore. It is not about being deeply unhappy, or feeling stuck, or getting more money or anything like that. It is about wanting a different kind of on-stage experience.

I don't see any resemblance between the setlists of his last three tours (1978, 1981/82 and 1989/90). On the contrary, they played a lot of new stuff, as well as several songs they hadn't played before on those tours, including SW/UJ which was his last tour before he quit.

So I doubt repetitive setlists had anything to do with his decision to leave the group.

Thank you for your response. In fact, although I may not have expressed myself with sufficient clarity, my point was not specific to Bill only. It was a more general observation about possible reasons why anyone might want to leave a very successful band. And repetition would be one valid reason among many others.

I agree The Stones were less repetitive back in the 80s when I saw them several times. But there was still a fair amount of repetition, simply because several numbers were already too well known and popular to be omitted. And for someone who would have been there, night after night, on the very VERY long tours The Stones did then, it may well have felt more repetitive than they would have wished. And, lets face it, Bill had made his money, he had had his fun on the road, he was much older than the rest of the band, and he had had a taste of solo success. Adding all that together would have made a compelling case for him bailing out to pursue other avenues. Writing, performing in small clubs, composing soundtracks, sport, Bill always had a wide range of interests.

I must also admit to having limited patience with repetition.There are so many new and different experiences out there. Different music, different creative processes, different performances. It seems a shame to keep going back over old ground. Nothing wrong with my perspective of course, but it makes me incline towards those who find tedium sets in early. I do feel Bill might well be a kindred spirit in that regard. I also accept that the majority of others would not agree with either my preferences or opinions. And again, there is nothing wrong with that either. It is a big world...

Date: February 8, 2023 14:40

Gotcha, Gerald thumbs up

Date: February 8, 2023 16:36

DandelionPowderman
Gotcha, Gerald thumbs up

Cheers my friend. We are all Stones fans here, all on the same team...

Keep on rocking!

smileys with beer

Posted by: angee ()
Date: February 9, 2023 22:45

I'm not that big on repetition, and yet, particularly if I'm lucky enough to see more than one show per tour, I've come to look for the small variations, whether in Mick's patter, actually quite different for each city and show, and in the playing, body language, and facial expressions. Standing in the pit, when possible, these all come to be pleasures in themselves, or at least that's what I tell myself. cool smiley

Then they're the few rotated-in songs that replace the previous ones, on occasion even a one-off for the tour, and the unique combination of audience members.

I think some of these elements are also pleasing to others...or are they just crumbs for the obsessed?

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: Muddyw ()
Date: February 10, 2023 16:42

Stones music on Mick Jagger with Lee Oscar?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-10 16:42 by Muddyw.

Date: February 10, 2023 16:47

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-10 16:48 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: CJFP ()
Date: February 10, 2023 20:53

Hoping for an announcement soon! Maybe a teaser in the coming weeks?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 10, 2023 21:19

Yes...we need an official teaser...maybe to coincide with the tour announcement...
The opening riff to Start Me Up, followed by the opening riff of a brand new tune...with some wailing harmonica....
Ladies and Gentlemen...the Stones in 2023!eye popping smileyhot smileywinking smiley

Date: February 10, 2023 21:33

Rocky Dijon
donvis

Some reporter asked Keith about rumors Bill was quitting. Keith snarkily to the effect they could audition new bassists, like Busta Cherry, who he specifically mentioned.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: February 11, 2023 02:02

I remember a quote from Bill when he was actually leaving along the lines of "the Stones (creatively) achieved everything they could possibly achieve, there's nothing left to add" and if one looks at the mere three albums of originals in the nearly 34 years since "Steel Wheels" one is tempted to agree with him. Of course, each and every of these albums has a handful of good stuff, but in the bigger scheme of things it's nothing more than crumbles...

But the more I'm curious to see if the new album will achieve anything to correct this somewhat sad picture, at least a little bit.

Posted by: two4fun111 ()
Date: February 11, 2023 23:56

My question is this:

Does Keith or Mick have one last huge definitive Riff left in them for what’s probably their last album of original music??

God I hope so.

Posted by: tiffanyblu ()
Date: February 12, 2023 00:42

two4fun111
My question is this:

Does Keith or Mick have one last huge definitive Riff left in them for what’s probably their last album of original music??

God I hope so.

Hope so as well

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: February 12, 2023 02:24

doubt it, hope so, I like what i hear

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: February 12, 2023 05:15

two4fun111
My question is this:

God I hope so.

at least three dynamite ones according to keithwinking smiley

plus i suspect your right that this will be the last stones album of new original music

but hopefully not the last album of new original music that mick or keith ever release

maybe all these sessions that keith and steve are working on will leave enough leftover material that they can use it to form the base for a new winos album

or at least i can dream

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-12 05:21 by ProfessorWolf.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 12, 2023 06:20

By now Keith should have at least six or seven "dynamite riffs" since he made that original quote back around 2016.
And instead of the 40 complete songs said to be written by Mick back then, he must have around 4,000 by now being as prolific as he is.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: February 12, 2023 11:36

two4fun111
My question is this:

God I hope so.

A fantastic new definitive riff would sure be great, and so would decent lyrics to accompany it too .... unlike these from Rough Justice on ABB !

<<< One time you were my baby chicken
Now you've grown into a fox
Once upon a time I was your little rooster
But am I just one of your cocks
It's rough justice on ya >>>

Dear o dear ! Did Mick dream these up lying flat on his back in a farmyard whilst nursing a blazing hangover or something !?

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: February 12, 2023 11:41

Maybe he nicked them off Liam Gallagher. grinning smiley

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: February 12, 2023 11:49

Topi
Maybe he nicked them off Liam Gallagher. grinning smiley

grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley

Well they're so bad, they could well have come from that talentless git !

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...606607608609610611612613614615616...LastNext
Current Page: 611 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1938
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home