Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...605606607608609610611612613614615...LastNext
Current Page: 610 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2023
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 4, 2023 03:35

VoodooLounge13
All I read on here lately is Doom & Gloom for the new album. Let’s let the boys give it One More Shot to get it done.

Hard to believe Doom and Gloom and One More Shot were released over a decade ago on GRRR...where does the time go?
Hopefully they Don't Stop working on the new album, and actually finish what they started here in 2023! thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-04 03:36 by Hairball.

Posted by: CJFP ()
Date: February 4, 2023 06:12

VoodooLounge13
All I read on here lately is Doom & Gloom for the new album. Let’s let the boys give it One More Shot to get it done.

I hope it comes soon! If they wait any longer we may all be Living In A Ghost Town!

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: February 4, 2023 06:35

CJFP
VoodooLounge13

I hope it comes soon! If they wait any longer we may all be Living In A Ghost Town!

yeah i mean come on folks it's only rock 'n roll (but it seems at least some of us still like itwinking smiley)

and is it just my imagination or didn't mick say in the same 'don't hold breath' interview that the new album has to be really good

i understand some here have mixed emotions about the new album but i think it won't take long for them to releases it

i highly don't there gonna be going back to zero on it again

Posted by: riccardo99 ()
Date: February 4, 2023 12:41

I think the reason they went to Bahamas to write something is that they feel the need to have at least one track addressing current political situation (war) in order to have a more up to date album.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: February 4, 2023 13:12

Bill Wyman was in the band for 30 years and during that time released I believe 21 albums of new material.Darryl Jones has been the bass player for 30 years now and during that time they put out Voodoo Lounge, Bridges and a Bugger Bang. A new album is overdue

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-04 15:47 by Taylor1.

Posted by: jackflash27 ()
Date: February 4, 2023 14:19

Harlem Shuffler
StonedRambler
Harlem Shuffler
StonedRambler
I love the Stones for life but there are so many talented young artists who will release new music this year that is so much more thrilling to me than a new Stones album.

Of course I'm looking forward to it but I'm always amazed by how much people here are yearning for it.

Who are these”talented young artists”?
I can take the time and make a list if that is of real interest. Depends also on your music taste.

How about one top quality “tune” from three artists?

I haven’t heard anything really good from new people since Amy Winehouse died but I don’t listen to modern “music” much because so much of it stinks in my opinion.
BTW, if you are thinking of including Ed Sheeran, please don’t bother at all!

Oh dear. You sound like my parents 35 years ago. One of the few things I did not inherited from them.
There is so much good music around, you just have to get out of your comfort zone. Spotify is a great resource for learning about new artists. A lot of it is crap, but you will discover enough great stuff. I even listen to some of the music my kids listen to and once in a while I even like it.
Just don’t be so narrow minded. While you are on this planet, make the best of it and open up your mind.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: February 4, 2023 15:22

jackflash27
Harlem Shuffler
StonedRambler
Harlem Shuffler
StonedRambler
I love the Stones for life but there are so many talented young artists who will release new music this year that is so much more thrilling to me than a new Stones album.

Of course I'm looking forward to it but I'm always amazed by how much people here are yearning for it.

I can take the time and make a list if that is of real interest. Depends also on your music taste.

I haven’t heard anything really good from new people since Amy Winehouse died but I don’t listen to modern “music” much because so much of it stinks in my opinion.

Oh dear. You sound like my parents 35 years ago. One of the few things I did not inherited from them.
There is so much good music around, you just have to get out of your comfort zone. Spotify is a great resource for learning about new artists. A lot of it is crap, but you will discover enough great stuff. I even listen to some of the music my kids listen to and once in a while I even like it.
Just don’t be so narrow minded. While you are on this planet, make the best of it and open up your mind.

Exactly THIS thumbs up

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 4, 2023 16:40

jackflash27
Harlem Shuffler
StonedRambler
Harlem Shuffler
StonedRambler

Very good thoughts and recommendations. But then again in a site dedicated for a 60 years old act, I think it is pretty natural that for many fans of the band the recent currents in pop music do might sound that interesting.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-04 17:16 by Doxa.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: February 4, 2023 16:54

I am very open to new music. New to me. From the 1960:s, 1950:s and so on. And 1100-1800 is a great period when it comes to music (from Hildegard af Bingen to Dvorak and Grieg). But I just refuse to listen to anything AFTER 1985. Except for Stones, Springsteen, Bowie, Reed, Tom Waits and those old acts. That´s who I am. Want to be. I really liked Glasvegas debut, then they hit the wall and that was it.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: February 4, 2023 17:30

Doxa
jackflash27
Harlem Shuffler
StonedRambler
Harlem Shuffler
StonedRambler

Very good thoughts and recommendations. But then again in a site dedicated for a 60 years old act, I think it is pretty natural that for many fans of the band the recent currents in pop music do might sound that interesting.

- Doxa
It's not necessarily about pop music. There is new music for everyone and for every taste. All easily accessible through streaming nowadays. Even for folks who like classic rock the most.

But it naturally seems to come with age that people rather stick to the things they know. Curiosity is fading for most folks as they get older. Don't let the fire of curiosity burn out.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: February 4, 2023 17:44

Bjorn
I am very open to new music. New to me. From the 1960:s, 1950:s and so on. And 1100-1800 is a great period when it comes to music (from Hildegard af Bingen to Dvorak and Grieg). But I just refuse to listen to anything AFTER 1985. Except for Stones, Springsteen, Bowie, Reed, Tom Waits and those old acts. That´s who I am. Want to be. I really liked Glasvegas debut, then they hit the wall and that was it.

A pity, because you must have missed the Mighty Lemon Drops then, their debut from 1986 is ace, and there's also some good stuff after that.

...just mention this because you said you liked Glasvegas.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: February 4, 2023 17:54

Taylor1
Bill Wyman was in the band for 30 years and during that time released I believe 21 albums of new material.Darryl Jones has been the bass player for 30 years now and during that time they put out Voodoo Lounge, Bridges and a Bugger Bang. A new album is overdue
Maybe I missed the context .... but what does it have to do with it? It's not a race!
Bill was a Stones up until the 90's and he will always be in the hearts of every RS fan.
Darryl Jones came to replace him in the early 90s and still today he is around with them, now after listening to him in dozens of concerts, many fans have become attached ....
Every musician has his own way and style of playing....let's have fun while there's still fun.

Posted by: RaahenTiikeri ()
Date: February 4, 2023 18:58

Rolling Stones is most amazing machine in showbusines.And darryl has become part of it.

Date: February 4, 2023 19:35

Testify
Taylor1
Maybe I missed the context .... but what does it have to do with it? It's not a race!
Bill was a Stones up until the 90's and he will always be in the hearts of every RS fan.
Darryl Jones came to replace him in the early 90s and still today he is around with them, now after listening to him in dozens of concerts, many fans have become attached ....
Every musician has his own way and style of playing....let's have fun while there's still fun.

I guess he didn't mean to compare Bill and Darryl as bassists, but more like pointing out how much more profilic the band was during Bill's 'watch' than Darryl's, both having now 30 years of service. Neither Bill or Darryl has much or any contribution to that. The creative powers exist in somewhere else in the band. But still one could think that they owe a bit to 'Darryl Era'..

But Taylor1 seem not to count BLUE & LONESOME. With that logic and to be fair we should drop a few albums from the beginning as well. So the first Stones album supposed to be AFTERMATH. (Strange fixation with 'originals'. With that logic Sinatra or Elvis did not make any proper records, although, thanks to the deals of the day, their name might had been added to the song-writers for them to record a song (so called "Elvis Tax" - something, for example, Dolly Parton refused to pay. So Elvis did not release "I Will Always Love You"). Or if we think that 'original' means releasing a song written by someone else first that would mean "I Wanna Be Your Man" is a Stones original, but "As Tears Go By", "Out Time", "Wild Horses" and "Siver Train" are not...)

But it still looks mathematically 'bad' for the 'Darryl era'...

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-04 19:43 by Doxa.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: February 4, 2023 19:43

Doxa
Testify
Taylor1

I guess he didn't mean to compare Bill and Darryl as bassists, but more like pointing out how much more profilic the band was during Bill's 'watch' than Darryl's, both having now 30 years of service. Neither Bill or Darryl has much or any contribution to that. The creative powers exist in somewhere else in the band. But still one could think that they owe a bit to 'Darryl Era'..

But Taylor1 seem not to count BLUE & LONESOME. With that logic and to be fair we should drop a few albums from the beginning as well. So the first Stones album supposed to be AFTERMTH. (Strange fixation with 'originals'. With that logic Sinatra or Elvis did not make any proper records, although, thanks to the deals of the day, they name night had been added to the song-writers for them to record a song (so called "Elvis Tax" - something, for example, Dolly Parton refused to pay. So Elvis did not release "I Will Always Love You"). Or if we think that 'original' means releasing a song written by someone else first that would mean "I Wanna Be Your Man" is a Stones original, but "As Tears Go By", "Out Time", "Wild Horses" and "Siver Train" are not...)

- Doxa
. IMO Bill is the best bassist in a rock band ever.My point was how little new music they created since Bill left.And I don’t think you can discount their pre- Aftermath albums because of all the cover songs because they created some of their best original songs like As Tears Go By, Last Time, Satisfaction, Get Aoff My Cloud, Play with Fire,I’m Free, Blue Turns to Grey, Tell Me and others.Blue and Lonesome is a covers album

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-04 19:50 by Taylor1.

Date: February 4, 2023 19:46

Indeed, Taylor1. I got that (besides, the same opinion about Bill - but not regard to B&L. For me neglecting that album makes an "album" a sort of metaphysical entity, based on romantic notions of creativity dubbed together with 'artists themselves should be responsible for original song-writing', nothing to do with actually recording music and releasing it).

- Doxa

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-04 20:03 by Doxa.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 4, 2023 20:00

Taylor1

YES it is. thumbs up

Speaking of overdue, Keith's fantastic cover version of Love Overdue was amongst the many highlights of Crosseyed Heart IMO - a great tune, and a great album..
If the Stones do a cover tune amidst all of the originals on the new album (as they've done several times in the past), maybe they'll choose another reggae tune as Keith did with Love Overdue.
Or maybe another Motown tune ala Just My Imagination...or Ain't Too Proud to Beg. Seems they've done enough Blues covers with Blue and Lonesome, so hopefully they branch out a bit.

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: February 4, 2023 21:56

StonedRambler
Doxa
jackflash27
Harlem Shuffler
StonedRambler
Harlem Shuffler
StonedRambler

- Doxa
It's not necessarily about pop music. There is new music for everyone and for every taste. All easily accessible through streaming nowadays. Even for folks who like classic rock the most.

But it naturally seems to come with age that people rather stick to the things they know. Curiosity is fading for most folks as they get older. Don't let the fire of curiosity burn out.

If I wasn’t curious I wouldn’t have asked. In the 1950s and very early 1960s there wasn’t much quality popular music around in the U.K. if not everywhere in my opinion and I think we live in a time when there is even less.

Date: February 5, 2023 04:49

personally i don't trust any musician under 70winking smiley

and it ain't nostalgia for me i was born in 1991

i never found my generations music appealing

while my peers were listening to brittney spears and whoever else's was relevant (i didn't know then and i don't know now) i was listening to zz top and steppenwolf

then later came my obsession with the stones and all the great music that inspired them

and given how much great music was made between 1920 and 1980 i doubt i'll ever run out of "new" music to enjoy

Date: February 5, 2023 04:55

Harlem Shuffler
StonedRambler
Doxa
jackflash27
Harlem Shuffler
StonedRambler
Harlem Shuffler
StonedRambler

- Doxa

If I wasn’t curious I wouldn’t have asked. In the 1950s and very early 1960s there wasn’t much quality popular music around in the U.K. if not everywhere in my opinion and I think we live in a time when there is even less.

maybe in the uk

but not in chicagowinking smiley

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: February 5, 2023 12:38

Taylor1
Doxa
Testify
Taylor1

But Taylor1 seem not to count BLUE & LONESOME. With that logic and to be fair we should drop a few albums from the beginning as well. So the first Stones album supposed to be AFTERMTH. (Strange fixation with 'originals'. With that logic Sinatra or Elvis did not make any proper records, although, thanks to the deals of the day, they name night had been added to the song-writers for them to record a song (so called "Elvis Tax" - something, for example, Dolly Parton refused to pay. So Elvis did not release "I Will Always Love You"). Or if we think that 'original' means releasing a song written by someone else first that would mean "I Wanna Be Your Man" is a Stones original, but "As Tears Go By", "Out Time", "Wild Horses" and "Siver Train" are not...)

- Doxa
. IMO Bill is the best bassist in a rock band ever.My point was how little new music they created since Bill left.And I don’t think you can discount their pre- Aftermath albums because of all the cover songs because they created some of their best original songs like As Tears Go By, Last Time, Satisfaction, Get Aoff My Cloud, Play with Fire,I’m Free, Blue Turns to Grey, Tell Me and others.Blue and Lonesome is a covers album
About Bill we agree, how can we not be... what I don't understand is what Bill has to do with the low productivity of the last few years, Bill has never been an integral part of the creative process in RS songs (apart from rare cases ). So it's just a matter of timing, on the other hand Bill left the band because he didn't feel like it anymore and wanted a peaceful old age, so it's not surprising that the others also greatly limited their work with the band.
Many bring examples of artists of a similar age still in full swing, but it's very different for a soloist who calls the shift workers to work on the record when he feels like it, for a band it's different! It's not the same to call the shift worker on shift or to call Keith or Ronnie or big Charlie.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: February 5, 2023 14:05

ProfessorWolf

while my peers were listening to brittney spears and whoever else's was relevant (i didn't know then and i don't know now) i was listening to zz top and steppenwolf

then later came my obsession with the stones and all the great music that inspired them

and given how much great music was made between 1920 and 1980 i doubt i'll ever run out of "new" music to enjoy

I remember a time when the Beatles and the Rolling Stones had not yet released any music.

Even then, I would say, check out the American band Come, starting in 1990.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 5, 2023 16:10

riccardo99
I think the reason they went to Bahamas to write something is that they feel the need to have at least one track addressing current political situation (war) in order to have a more up to date album.

They've only really done it once and it didn't exactly make the release 'more up to date' but dated for certain. Highwire, as Mick said, "It's not about the (Persian Gulf) war. It's about how it started."

"I don’t want it to sound like some cheap history lesson. It is about that, though. We built the armaments up to a point where 30 ago it might have been a very low-key affair. These days, it is not low-key. And this scenario of the mad dictator in the Middle East, it’s been talked about for as long as I can remember. One of these days, one of these guys is going to be loose out there with all this weaponry. And eventually these things come to pass… I don’t want to take advantage of this in terms of publicity, just because the new album’s coming out and all. But I think it’s good to be able to make a comment on something everyone is talking about. It’s a valid function of writers and artists everywhere.

Mick Jagger, 1991
[www.timeisonourside.com]

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: February 5, 2023 17:09

i think they’re doing a cover of my beautiful balloon for that, or maybe 99 red balloons?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-05 17:19 by Natlanta.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 5, 2023 18:05

Rocky Dijon
Doxa, you're sounding suspiciously like Pete Moss, postal carrier to the Stones.

Hang on, I thought it was that the Rolling Stones gather no Pete Moss, or something?

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 6, 2023 10:48

Hairball

... If the Stones do a cover tune amidst all of the originals on the new album (as they've done several times in the past), maybe they'll choose another reggae tune as Keith did with Love Overdue.
Or maybe another Motown tune ala Just My Imagination...or Ain't Too Proud to Beg. Seems they've done enough Blues covers with Blue and Lonesome, so hopefully they branch out a bit.

I can get on board with that...they've always covered great music written by others in various genres with great style.

...and with great integrity . Many fans of Soul, Country and Reggae will attest to that.

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: February 6, 2023 12:26

I love the idea of a cover version of one of their own songs. Midnight Rambler 2.0 or something like that. Or finally an official release for @#$%& Blues grinning smiley

Posted by: riccardo99 ()
Date: February 6, 2023 12:28

Living in a Ghost Town is much closer in time, talking about 'up to date' stuff.

Date: February 6, 2023 16:27

Witness
ProfessorWolf

I remember a time when the Beatles and the Rolling Stones had not yet released any music.

Even then, I would say, check out the American band Come, starting in 1990.

i'll give em' a listen

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 6, 2023 20:46

treaclefingers
Rocky Dijon
Doxa, you're sounding suspiciously like Pete Moss, postal carrier to the Stones.

Hang on, I thought it was that the Rolling Stones gather no Pete Moss, or something?

Much as I respect Pete Moss, postal carrier and his insights on the new album, I'm always happy to elicit an "or something."

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...605606607608609610611612613614615...LastNext
Current Page: 610 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1416
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home