Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...603604605606607608609610611612613...LastNext
Current Page: 608 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2023
Posted by: Topi ()
Date: February 2, 2023 06:52

Hairball

Yes, can't wait!
And hopefully it's sooner than later, but after nearly two very long decades since ABB, a few extra weeks and even months will seem like the blink of an eye.
Lets HOPE it happens!!! smiling smiley

I thought those decades went by kinda quickly! winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-02 06:52 by Topi.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 2, 2023 08:12

wanderingspirit66
Wow! Am a bit surprised at the reactions here to what I presumed was a somewhat innocuous post on how chat GPT and AI interpret the structure of a Rolling Stones song based on all that is available in the public domain. Honestly, I didn’t imagine that this is what would tick people off in a public forum in a thread that has been replete with incongruous rubbish for so long with garbage being continually spouted every time there is any public sighting of Jagger with just about anybody. Anyway, the topic came up at home when my wife, an academic in the humanities was showing us how well chat GPT / AI works for students and how professors are having to rethink how they give out of class assignments etc. Some of the stuff is pretty impressive with the ability of chat GPT to even produce full length dissertations by interpreting all the works of say a particular scholar of 19th. My daughter and I just though it would be fun to see how chat GPT would structure songs of artists that have a substantial number of songs and data to pull from. Also, we thought it would be fun to see how someone who is not a fan but a complete stranger and has no context for individual songs or say a robot would interpret the lyrics and create one of its own. My daughter picked Taylor Swift and I picked the Stones given that there is quite a bit of data to input with over 200 + songs. I saw the output vis-vis the Stones and felt that it was creating lyrics not just from prior lyrics but also from all other sources about the Stones as a band. I then picked Jagger given that his solo work has at least 50 songs + and Richards as well although the number of songs is far fewer and there is less input data just to see how AI distinguishes and discriminates between the 2. Here the lyrical output seems to lean even more towards their public personas and the lyrics seem to say more about the perceived public images and perhaps even statements that they have made and I imagine the input data even includes all the dialog here on IORR. Naively, I imagined that the conversation would veer in this direction. I also decided to give chat GPT a try given that someone remarked that perhaps Jagger may try to leverage AI and technology in his creative pursuits.
On the subject of AI and creativity, many artists (i.e. those that produce paintings or drawings as a profession or hobby) found out their work was used to train AI and generate visuals that have gone on to receive accolades. They were not happy. I don’t know how much AI is being leveraged in the music industry to identify and create successful chord progressions and drum loops and arrangements and melodies but I presume that old school knowledge gained from experience and some more updated data mining for segmenting and targeting your audience will all give way to the use of AI in song creations somewhere down the line in the next decade or so. Those lyrics are not so great but am not so sure they are so much worse than what many successful bands have put out. These are just early days. Instead of Mel belli telling us about a unique chord progression in Primitive cool or Dream about, we can just run all the songs on an AI / Chat GPT like platform to give an output that will quickly identify the unique ones. This what I think is cool about technology in general and AI in particular. It is in itself creative and will no doubt stretch the boundaries of creativity and likely even disrupt how music is made in the near future. Perhaps my post should have been in a separate thread or off topic
All of this notwithstanding, Seriously – the 105 lines that I posted (I am a rather infrequent poster) is what is “wasting space on IORR”- are you friggin kidding?. And an “intervention” is required for this? and this is what is a “Low point” for this forum – woah!!! OK
Kudos for running a good site but content moderation is a hard business. I certainly won’t take my post down – feel free to take them down and delete my account if you are “pissed”. Feel free to take this post down as well if it “saves space” on IORR for more scintillating conversations on the new Tour. I tried to delete my account some time back (it wasn’t as straightforward as I thought but perhaps I missed something). If you do choose to delete my account or take the post down, no worries. I don’t really post much – just do it occasionally when I have some free time and have some random thoughts. I will still enjoy reading mathijs’ first reviews of the new album if and when it comes out and will enjoy less but certainly casually observe the tons of Jagger bashing that will follow (and you don't have to turn to AI to see that pattern, just trust me - you will need a lot of space on IORR for that) Au Revoir

Cool down, wanderingspirit666! I think a seperate thread could have been a good option. I don't think there was anything wrong with your content, quite the contrary, I find that highly interesting (and would like to say a few words about it, but not in this thread). Just the context... Although, yeah, there've been discussed whatever, so I don't know why I personally felt that this goes too far (probably afraid that this will discussed for next ten pages and the 'songs' quoted again and again)... I'm sorry for my 'intervention' comment.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-02 08:23 by Doxa.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: February 2, 2023 09:42

i may be wrong but wasn't blue and lonesome originally intended as a bonus disc on the new album but they hit the wall with that in 2015-16 and decided to release it as a standalone album by itself?

if i am recalling that correctly (and i know this is unlikely and will appreciate whatever they release) what are the chances they keep this concept and include a blue and lonesome vol. 2 with the new album as a bonus?

i ask because i really like the original concept (and blue and lonesome) and think it would still work and go over pretty well with us fans

thoughts?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-02 09:49 by ProfessorWolf.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 2, 2023 09:48

Topi
Hairball

Yes, can't wait!
And hopefully it's sooner than later, but after nearly two very long decades since ABB, a few extra weeks and even months will seem like the blink of an eye.

Yeah, it feels it was just a while ago when we started discussing here the first impressions of "Rough Justice"...

But I wonder if some people turned their clocks on at the very moment A BIGGER BANG was released and started counting and waiting from then on. In that sense it might've been long, long years.

Jagger mentioned some time ago that he don't know why the Stones haven't released more music. The years just go by. I guess that it is.

Between the end of A BIGGER BANG tour and the 50th Anniversary The Stones did nothing. Well, not quite: the project of opening the vaults started in 2010 and we'd been busy since then buying that stuff. Every year new stuff comes up. If somebody was during those 5 years waiting a new album he or she must believed on miracles.

Then they started touring again. The idea of new album popped up first in 2015 after the STICKY FINGERS project. Was it Mick who said that first in public? Before that I don't think the issue even discussed here at IORR. Before that the whole thing didn't look likely at all. People were that realistic or the ones keep on counting and waiting kept that to themselves.

Then the crowd at IORR woke up: it was a real scenario that the Stones are into making new music.

So in 2016 BLUE & LONESOME was released, a brand new album. Although the people staring at their watches do not count it since it "does not include originals" (for them, the first Stones album probably was AFTERMATH).

However, as we knew the Stones were not just making a blues album, but an album of originals as well, it was reasonable to expect them to release one one day. Then the heavy, collective counting and waiting started. This thread is a testimony of that, dating to 2017. There've been some ups and downs along the way, and sometimes the whole project has looked a pretty hopeless, so no wonder some frustration has been expressed. But still I guess for the most people even in this thread there is a life outside the waiting room. If nothing else, they could, while waiting, listen to, for example, EL MOCAMBO, GOATS HEAD SOUP and TATTOO YOU extra tracks.

Honestly, I don't think it is and has been that miserable to be a Rolling Stones fan. The years go by pretty nicely.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-02 10:01 by Doxa.

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: February 2, 2023 11:24

True, not miserable at all. Those finished outtakes on especially Some Girls, Exile and Tattoo You were almost like a brand new album to me. And let's not forget we also got Living in a Ghost Town, Doom & Gloom and One More Shot. And there were lots of opportunities to see them live of course.

When you wrote like 450 songs (solo works included) I totally get you're running out of inspiration and that when you're in the autumn years of your career, not every song you record is as good and original as it was when you were in your prime.

There is a possiblity that Mick Jagger is 80 (!!!) years old when the album is being released. I cannot name another artist or band that has released a brand new album with self written songs at that age.

Posted by: rolling1us ()
Date: February 2, 2023 12:12

[There is a possiblity that Mick Jagger is 80 (!!!) years old when the album is being released. I cannot name another artist or band that has released a brand new album with self written songs at that age]

Bob Dylan nearly did that in 2020.

Date: February 2, 2023 12:24

BV is right, it's a whole heap of spam, as well as tedious and terrible in quality, offensively so, revealing nothing about creativity, and everything about degraded hackery that happens to be machine generated. And a waste of time for people clicking on the thread for the new album....

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: February 2, 2023 13:45

On Twitter:

Rolling Stones News
@StonesNews
·
15h Ago
The wait is almost over! Touring band members are getting more active with a couple of gigs planned, before rehearsals start with the Stones. Mick and Keith are polishing the album in the studio. Excitement is building!

Rod

Date: February 2, 2023 13:49

bitusa2012
On Twitter:

Rolling Stones News
@StonesNews
·
15h Ago
The wait is almost over! Touring band members are getting more active with a couple of gigs planned, before rehearsals start with the Stones. Mick and Keith are polishing the album in the studio. Excitement is building!

That site is quoting «well-informed» sources at IORR a little further down below smiling smiley

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: February 2, 2023 14:25

Worse than one post bout an AI generated song are twenty posts complaining about that one post.
And now I'm complaining about those posts... Well...

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: February 2, 2023 14:39

ribbelchips
There is a possiblity that Mick Jagger is 80 (!!!) years old when the album is being released. I cannot name another artist or band that has released a brand new album with self written songs at that age.

Willie Nelson has released several albums since turning 80 in 2013.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-02 14:42 by bye bye johnny.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: February 2, 2023 14:55

ribbelchips

Buddy Guy has also released two albums (with partly self-written songs) since turning 80.

Ringo Starr released 3 EPs in 2021-2022 (partly self-written, since turning 80) - [en.Wikipedia.org] .

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-03 00:45 by Irix.

Posted by: jstones ()
Date: February 2, 2023 15:50

Just picked up -
Maybe this time it's for real !!!!

Rolling Stones News
@StonesNews
#RollingStones #NewMusic
#TourUpdate"

Date: February 2, 2023 15:53

They just tweeted out what they have read over here on IORR. Nothing new.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: February 2, 2023 18:48

In all seriousness, with all the vault digging they’ve been doing the last 13 years, it’d be stupid to not be “inspired” (read: Use the old stuff) by that for a new album. There might be one or two killer riffs somewhere that the public never got to hear, and is non existent on any bootleg. If I had that chance, I’d absolutely take it, IF it’s up to par of course.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: February 2, 2023 19:34

MadMetaphoricalMax
BV is right, it's a whole heap of spam, as well as tedious and terrible in quality, offensively so, revealing nothing about creativity, and everything about degraded hackery that happens to be machine generated. And a waste of time for people clicking on the thread for the new album....

No offense MMM but this entire thread has been a waste of time.
A colossal waste of 6+ years worth of time. Definition of click bait.

I'll believe the new album when I hear the new album.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 2, 2023 19:53

Kurt

I'll believe the new album when I hear the new album.

You gotta have faith. And hope. And a whole lotta love for the band.
Nearly two decades since A Bigger Bang...the last album of originals...some fans here were only toddlers way back then. Some were not even born yet!
But thankfully the clock is ticking faster towards the end of the very long wait for a new album of originals, and coupled the possiblility of some live shows, the very long wait could be very worth it - hopefully.
And hopefully some of those toddlers and those that were unborn nearly two decades ago will be able to expereince what was once the norm for the Stones way back when - a new album and new tour - it's a thrill! thumbs up

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 2, 2023 20:51

Reads like Pope Francis speaking to his followers .....HHHHaaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: February 2, 2023 22:51

Irix
Buddy Guy has also released two albums (with partly self-written songs) since turning 80.

Ringo Starr released 3 EPs in 2021-2022 (partly self-written, since turning 80) - [en.Wikipedia.org] .

...it's not the same thing, one thing is the solo artist who can be managed as he wants, another is a band.
Let's not forget that Mick has had heart surgery and Ronnie has battled cancer twice, Keith has his issues and sadly Charlie passed away.
However, the Stones have played many concerts in recent years, they have not made new music (apart from a few singles) it is true, but they have not been inactive and the fact that today we are talking about a new album and a new tour is a miracle.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: February 2, 2023 23:10

Testify
Irix

...it's not the same thing, one thing is the solo artist who can be managed as he wants, another is a band.
Let's not forget that Mick has had heart surgery and Ronnie has battled cancer twice, Keith has his issues and sadly Charlie passed away.
However, the Stones have played many concerts in recent years, they have not made new music (apart from a few singles) it is true, but they have not been inactive and the fact that today we are talking about a new album and a new tour is a miracle.

many concerts? I comparison to others they have played relatively few show during in recent years. From 2017 to 2022 they play only 75 shows. Last year (2022) Bob Dylan played 88 shows, Buddy Guy 87, ZZ Top 106, Paul McCartney 34…

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: February 3, 2023 02:00

Rockman
Reads like Pope Francis speaking to his followers .....HHHHaaaaaaa

Amen.

Posted by: CJFP ()
Date: February 3, 2023 03:06

Realistically, when would an announcement come? I mean if they plan to tour alongside it starting in the summer, it would have to be relatively soon, right?

Date: February 3, 2023 07:56

Hairball
DiegoGlimmerStones
Can't wait for the first teaser of the new studio album. Hopefully The Stones will release some sort of teaser by Mid-February
We'll see thumbs up

Yes, can't wait!

Fingers crossed cool smiley

Date: February 3, 2023 08:33

CJFP
Realistically, when would an announcement come? I mean if they plan to tour alongside it starting in the summer, it would have to be relatively soon, right?

My guess is that the timing of the album and tour announcement will be similar as the Sixty Tour by early/mid March with a likely kick off and release in late May/early June

Maybe we can expect some teasers of the new album starting by mid-February after the promotions for the release of Grrr Live!

Hopefully we'll hear more news soon thumbs up

Date: February 3, 2023 08:44

CJFP

I'd say late February, early March at the latest if you're starting the tour early June.

Date: February 3, 2023 09:05

I love the Stones for life but there are so many talented young artists who will release new music this year that is so much more thrilling to me than a new Stones album.

Of course I'm looking forward to it but I'm always amazed by how much people here are yearning for it.

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: February 3, 2023 11:27

StonedRambler
I love the Stones for life but there are so many talented young artists who will release new music this year that is so much more thrilling to me than a new Stones album.

Of course I'm looking forward to it but I'm always amazed by how much people here are yearning for it.

Who are these”talented young artists”?

Date: February 3, 2023 11:52

StonedRambler

Yes, that is where I am at too. The Stones have meant so much to me at one time, and when they were great IMO were the greatest, but I can not say that I really like anything that has come from them in years.
Yet, here I am doing my weekly check to see about the infamous last album.
I see Harlem asked "who are these talented new artists?".

Date: February 3, 2023 12:05

Harlem Shuffler
StonedRambler

Who are these”talented young artists”?
I can take the time and make a list if that is of real interest. Depends also on your music taste.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 3, 2023 14:00

Doxa
Topi
Hairball

Yes, can't wait!

Yeah, it feels it was just a while ago when we started discussing here the first impressions of "Rough Justice"...

... ...
Honestly, I don't think it is and has been that miserable to be a Rolling Stones fan. The years go by pretty nicely.

- Doxa

...and the older we get...the quicker the years and decades fly !

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...603604605606607608609610611612613...LastNext
Current Page: 608 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1676
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home