Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...590591592593594595596597598599600...LastNext
Current Page: 595 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2023
Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: January 10, 2023 15:42

bakersfield
BRIDGES TO BABYLON would be much better with fewer songs, which makes it typical of the band’s later work
Remove anybody seen my baby, always suffering and too tight, and you have a pretty solid album.
If only the band had taken the same approach a few years earlier, then some of the great songs that made it onto Wandering Spirit and main offender
could have graced a full band album.

Total insanity, why would anyone want less of the Stones? Also, the tracks you've named are some of the best on the album!

Unless you've spent a LOT of time with the album it's not fair to say that culling random songs would improve it. For those of us that know the album we love it as is.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: January 10, 2023 17:11

Personally, I don´t understand all these fights - "This song is better than that!" and so on. We are all different. We like different songs. Isn´t that cool, a good thing? If someone 2000 miles away - as a result of your opinion - finally ends up liking your songs - does it make YOU feel better? "Ah, at last...he got it...therefore I count!" Come on! We are all different.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: January 10, 2023 17:19

Yeah, like, what's your favorite ice cream?

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: January 10, 2023 18:51

Topi

Pistachio!

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Adams ()
Date: January 10, 2023 19:18

Topi

Brown butter.

I love BTB too.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 10, 2023 20:00

bakersfield

BRIDGES TO BABYLON would be much better with fewer songs, which makes it typical of the band’s later work
Remove anybody seen my baby, always suffering and too tight, and you have a pretty solid album.
If only the band had taken the same approach a few years earlier, then some of the great songs that made it onto Wandering Spirit and main offender

I agree about less songs.
The band should have focused their strengths on a few rather than trying to 'supersize' it ultimately diluting the album with too many. Quality over quantity as the old saying goes.
I imagine/hope that the new album will be a bit more restrained with more focus on quality, rather than being a clogged up hodgepodge/mish mash consisting of too many half baked ideas.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: January 10, 2023 20:16

Hairball
bakersfield

The band should have focused their strengths on a few rather than trying to 'supersize' it ultimately diluting the album with too many. Quality over quantity as the old saying goes.
I imagine/hope that the new album will be a bit more restrained with more focus on quality, rather than being a clogged up hodgepodge/mish mash consisting of too many half baked ideas.

Very well! Will you then let me be the one to choose songs to be used? My taste is, of course, excellent! smoking smiley

Date: January 10, 2023 20:35

Witness
Hairball
bakersfield

Very well! Will you then let me be the one to choose songs to be used? My taste is, of course, excellent! smoking smiley

I think Keith and Mick are more than qualified enough to do that if they would just work together more closely, rather than being in competition with each other which seemed to be the case with Bridges, ABB, etc.
That said, it would be interesting if they actually invited fans to give their input on the new album - like the song vote at concerts - but it would probably only add fuel to the fire of disagreements within the band.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-10 20:36 by Hairball.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: January 10, 2023 20:55

Witness
24FPS
VoodooLounge13
24FPS
Wow. I come on here and BTB is being praised. It is an oddity. The production experiments are dated. It's not a very 'Stonesy' record. I never listen to it. To me Steel Wheels is the last real Stones album. Not an A album, but a good B Plus. No great single, but over all a great effort with the real band.

I've always found a cut or two on every Stones album Post Wyman. Plus the odd singles like Ghost Town and Doom and Gloom. None of them come up to the level of the Golden Age Stones (1963-1990). It would be interesting to only know the band by their Post Wyman output. My ears just aren't trained that way.

I’ve actually got high praise for that one as well, with its phenomenal Gered-shot cover and Ruby Tuesday, my all-time favorite Stones song and LSTNT, it’s a real classic album. Though I admit I prefer the UK version for My Obesession, Connection, Back Street Girl, and Yesterday’s Papers.

I meant Bridges To Babylon. (Unless you're pulling my leg).

Instead of pulling of legs, this concerns a correct identification of the abbreviations BTB and B2B, as that distinction has been introduced here.

BTB - Between The Buttons
B2B - Bridges To Babylon

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: January 10, 2023 21:37

Hairball
Witness
Hairball
bakersfield

I think Keith and Mick are more than qualified enough to do that if they would just work together more closely, rather than being in competition wi
th each other which seemed to be the case with Bridges, ABB, etc.
That said, it would be interesting if they actually invited fans to give their input on the new album - like the song vote at concerts - but it would probably only add fuel to the fire of disagreements within the band.

You will understand what was meant by my post preceding to this. It seems to have been an increasing disagreement among fans over their later career about which songs represent quality, and which songs not to the same degree. Apparently, such a disagreement also prevails between the Glimmer Twins themselves. Consequently, I am glad for everything that I can receive, even if also I have grown somewhat frustrated at times in hindsight when I learn here which songs are chosen, and the described character of songs that have been omitted. That applies for instance to when VOODOO LOUNGE was released, according to the presented quote by Mick Jagger from 1995, taken from the RS magazine.

Posted by: dkwalika ()
Date: January 10, 2023 21:48

Bjorn
Personally, I don´t understand all these fights - "This song is better than that!" and so on. We are all different. We like different songs. Isn´t that cool, a good thing? If someone 2000 miles away - as a result of your opinion - finally ends up liking your songs - does it make YOU feel better? "Ah, at last...he got it...therefore I count!" Come on! We are all different.

Amen to this. I don't like most of a Bigger Bang, but many do. God bless them.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: January 10, 2023 22:31

dkwalika - Yes. I agree. smiling smiley

Posted by: sandandglue ()
Date: January 10, 2023 22:57

Belle and Sebastian (British band) yesterday announced their latest album in an age by surprise, record shops went in to a flurry by announcing that it gets released .. Friday. The marketing tool ain't dead, I know I've mentioned it before but what would it take for the Stones to do the same or would they figure a surfeit of claims as we all suffer collective heart attacks?

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: January 11, 2023 00:48

GasLightStreet
It might be a bit more simple than that - just wishing for new music as they enjoy making it, with the observant reality being that it seems that Keith enjoys it more than Mick.

When he does, anyway.

I think that's a bit unfair. Mick certainly seems to enjoy making new music and writing songs. He not only says so ever and again (with Keith even mocking his prolificacy), he also does it, think of Gotta Geta A Grip, England Lost, and the Dave Grohl thing.

Judging from his statements in interviews, Keith prefers to write songs in collaboration with a second person whereas Mick appears to be fine with doing the writing all by himself. That seems to be an actual difference between the two. But heck, how should we really know, none of us hangs out with them, do we?

As for B2B and which songs should, or should not, have been left off, it' so simple nowadays: rip the CD, delete the songs you don't like and burn the rest to CD again and hey presto, there's your favourite B2B!

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: January 11, 2023 05:08

bakersfield

I'd cut 2 songs from B2B (Might As Well Get Juiced, Thief In The Night):

Flip The Switch
Anybody Seen My Baby?
Low Down
Already Over Me
Gunface
You Don't Have To Mean It
Out Of Control
Saint Of Me
Always Suffering
Too Tight
How Can I Stop

Run Time [51:49]

I'd do the same for VL & ABB. Make them shorter. I'd love for the new album to be 12 songs, 45-50 minutes with 2-3 songs as bonus tracks for various releases.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: January 11, 2023 11:35

JordyLicks96
bakersfield

I'd cut 2 songs from B2B (Might As Well Get Juiced, Thief In The Night):

Flip The Switch
Anybody Seen My Baby?
Low Down
Already Over Me
Gunface
You Don't Have To Mean It
Out Of Control
Saint Of Me
Always Suffering
Too Tight
How Can I Stop

Run Time [51:49]

I'd do the same for VL & ABB. Make them shorter. I'd love for the new album to be 12 songs, 45-50 minutes with 2-3 songs as bonus tracks for various releases.

This is the perfect BTB thumbs up
Without the usless and boring Thief in the Night.
"Might as well get juiced" would have been a really good blues song...but those awful synth...omg sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-11 11:36 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: January 11, 2023 15:41

I love Thief In The Night, and I also love how it flows right into How Can I Stop!!! I feel as if I'm in a Jazz club every time I hear that 1-2.

Posted by: jigsaw69 ()
Date: January 11, 2023 15:59

Just said on Tour 23 thread.....

New Tour with a new single from a forthcoming new album would just be the best Stones news for years !!!!!!

BTW VoodooLounge13.....I love Thief in the Night too......

Date: January 11, 2023 16:05

Gunface is the only track I would have cut off the album. Horrible track.

Date: January 11, 2023 16:21

VoodooLounge13
I love Thief In The Night, and I also love how it flows right into How Can I Stop!!! I feel as if I'm in a Jazz club every time I hear that 1-2.

Same, the atmosphere and vibe of that segue is sublime.

I can't understand people saying they'd want to cull tracks off albums to "improve" them. For me, more Stones is always better. I hardly ever skip anything by them. For the new release, give me a quadruple album that crosses genres, styles and production techniques. Make it sprawling, massive, and challenging. I never want to hear less of my favourite band.

Date: January 11, 2023 16:26

DandelionPowderman

Great vocal performance, Mick really spits and snarls this one out, and the bridge is especially good:

I taught her everything
I taught her how to dream
I taught her everything
I'm going to teach her how to scream
I taught her all she knows
I taught her how to lie
I taught her everything
I'm going to teach her how to cry

Date: January 11, 2023 16:31

WorriedAboutYou
DandelionPowderman

Great vocal performance, Mick really spits and snarls this one out, and the bridge is especially good:

I taught her everything
I taught her how to dream
I taught her everything
I'm going to teach her how to scream
I taught her all she knows
I taught her how to lie
I taught her everything
I'm going to teach her how to cry

To me the melody is non-existent, and the melody that's left is to be found on other tracks, like Mother Of A Man and other half-baked tracks. And I can't stand Mick's guitar on it. Luckily, we all have different taste smiling smiley

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 11, 2023 16:34

You guys don't get it. If the new album that we stream and purchase multiple CD and vinyl versions of only runs 30 minutes and has ten songs, then we can spend four times as much collecting all of the bonus tracks on various platforms and formats. After that, we can complain that some of the bonus tracks should have been on the album instead of the ten songs they picked. Meantime, a few people will point out they just burned a CD-R for their car with all of the extra songs and that their album has 18 tracks and runs 79 minutes.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: January 11, 2023 16:34

jigsaw69
Just said on Tour 23 thread.....

New Tour with a new single from a forthcoming new album would just be the best Stones news for years !!!!!!

BTW VoodooLounge13.....I love Thief in the Night too......

New tour with more than just one new single from the new album in the set list would be even better! But we'll find out soooner or later anyway.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: January 11, 2023 16:39

WorriedAboutYou
VoodooLounge13

Same, the atmosphere and vibe of that segue is sublime.

I can't understand people saying they'd want to cull tracks off albums to "improve" them. For me, more Stones is always better. I hardly ever skip anything by them. For the new release, give me a quadruple album that crosses genres, styles and production techniques. Make it sprawling, massive, and challenging. I never want to hear less of my favourite band.

i'm with you

give me everything

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: January 11, 2023 17:26

From an article by Betha Edwards, posted January 10 by Daily Mail. Perhaps best taken with a large grain of salt:

The group, who released Live Kicks in 2004 and A Bigger Bang in 2005, are said to have got together for studio sessions in New York over the past two weeks, and were joined by drummer Steve Jordan and bass player Darryl Jones.

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Live Kicks...

Date: January 11, 2023 19:36

Live Kicks...wasn't that the name of a crappy Springsteen album?

Posted by: Jimmy C ()
Date: January 11, 2023 19:51

Keith just posted on social media a belated Happy New Year to everyone and said new music is coming. And hopefully fingers crossed they will see everyone this year.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: January 11, 2023 19:52

Rocky Dijon
You guys don't get it. If the new album that we stream and purchase multiple CD and vinyl versions of only runs 30 minutes and has ten songs, then we can spend four times as much collecting all of the bonus tracks on various platforms and formats. After that, we can complain that some of the bonus tracks should have been on the album instead of the ten songs they picked. Meantime, a few people will point out they just burned a CD-R for their car with all of the extra songs and that their album has 18 tracks and runs 79 minutes.

True ! People will never be happy.
The truth is that with the advent of digital, albums have changed, so they all tend to be long enough, even to justify the cost.
Today an album like Black and Blue would not be thinkable.

Date: January 11, 2023 20:03

Jimmy C
Keith just posted on social media a belated Happy New Year to everyone and said new music is coming. And hopefully fingers crossed they will see everyone this year.

Yes fingers crossed for new music...even if just a new single...thumbs up

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...590591592593594595596597598599600...LastNext
Current Page: 595 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1712
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home