Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...582583584585586587588589590591592...LastNext
Current Page: 587 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2023
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 30, 2022 19:18

ukcal
Does this GRRR live explain the tweets about who would you like to see the stones play with?....and kicks the new album back to when ? May/June

Guest star overkill!

The new album was already kicked backed to May/June/Summer - at least according to Ronnie and his assorted ramblings.
But based on the many hurdles, corona-delays, hitting walls, unevenness, etc., of the past, and the fact it's been nearly 18 years since A Bigger Bang, he might as well have said Summmer 2024 or even 2025.
Not holding my breath, but not giving up hope yet either regarding the new album. Maybe they'll include a new studio single with the GRRR live...perhaps the rumoured duet with Dua Lipa.....

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: November 30, 2022 21:54

I don't know why people grumble about guests. I (almost) always enjoy it live and if it helps get people more interested in new material that's awesome.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: November 30, 2022 22:22

The Newark 2012 release is no different than El Mocambo (except it is not vintage). It has zero impact on the studio album. And what duet with Dua Lipa? You mean the one IORRians fabricated because she was photographed with Mick?

Posted by: trevormcmullin ()
Date: December 1, 2022 00:31

Anyone know if they are done recording in LA? Really excited about the new album. Don't care if there are some guests on the record as long as the music is good. Also, very excited to hear that The Stones may have worked with Andrew Watt during the LA sessions, he's a great producer, could bring a breath of fresh air to the album. I hope "Tell The Truth" makes the record, Ronnie's guitar is all over the demo Mick put on IG And its awesome!

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: December 1, 2022 06:22

Who knows, maybe they were just doing overdubs for Grrr Live? (Why am I always so pessimistic? eye popping smiley)

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 1, 2022 06:30

doitywoik
Who knows, maybe they were just doing overdubs for Grrr Live? (Why am I always so pessimistic? eye popping smiley)

587 pages and nearly 18 years later, and all they have to show for it is overdubs for Grrr Live?!!! angry smileyeye popping smileyspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 1, 2022 06:31

doitywoik

The timing of that is impossible!

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: December 1, 2022 10:33

GasLightStreet
doitywoik

With Dua Lipa overdubbing Lady Gaga

Date: December 1, 2022 11:05

StonedRambler
GasLightStreet
doitywoik

With Dua Lipa overdubbing Lady Gaga

And Beki Colada overdubbing Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber overdubbing Mick ...

Date: December 2, 2022 13:29

What's that? A full day without a post in this thread? Can't be! So here's one to bring us one step closer to page 600 ... winking smiley

Hairball
doitywoik

587 pages and nearly 18 years later, and all they have to show for it is overdubs for Grrr Live?!!! angry smileyeye popping smileyspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Not sure what to think of the idea of a Grrr/50&Counting tour live album.

If I take the 14 on Fire concert that I attended as a reference for the Counting/14 tour (which is a rather small sample, of course), I'd say that the show was OK but not great in a way that it urgently needed to be documented on a live album. The videos of the tour I saw on Youtube leave me with pretty much the same impression. The main relief was that Keith's skills where not totally down the gutter and definitely better than what transpired in the previous years.

As for the album, depending on how much (and what) work is actually left to do, I'd rather guess they are doing part of it now and the rest after Xmas in 2023.

thumbs downRe: New Stones album for 2023
Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: December 3, 2022 11:08

6 years and 584 pages?????? And it has come down to Dua Lipa.

Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: December 3, 2022 12:13

At least there are many outtakes from the past ten years to be found...

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: December 3, 2022 12:47

It's true, in the last 18 years we've never had an album of new songs, but we've had so many other things!
I never thought that in 2022 the Stones were still around so I'm not complaining and I find complaints odious.
Let's enjoy what is and what will be... while it lasts.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: December 3, 2022 16:23

Dua Lipa is bad ass.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-12-03 16:23 by Rip This.

Date: December 3, 2022 16:45

Testify
It's true, in the last 18 years we've never had an album of new songs, but we've had so many other things!
I never thought that in 2022 the Stones were still around so I'm not complaining and I find complaints odious.

At this point in time, of course we all are happy with whatever we get as long as it lasts. As the same time, one still wishes for such a great band to remain creative artists rather than being their own tribute band. To me, all positions are valid: being happy they are still around and perform as well as hoping for a new album of originals (and anything in between).

Once we get the album (if we get it) it will be interesting to see (and discuss) which speculation of ours were on the right track and which ones were totally off.

Date: December 6, 2022 05:04

doitywoik
Testify

At this point in time, of course we all are happy with whatever we get as long as it lasts. As the same time, one still wishes for such a great band to remain creative artists rather than being their own tribute band. To me, all positions are valid: being happy they are still around and perform as well as hoping for a new album of originals (and anything in between).

Once we get the album (if we get it) it will be interesting to see (and discuss) which speculation of ours were on the right track and which ones were totally off.

The pessimism is probably based in the area that this will very likely be the last original Stones album and they're going to have guests on it because...?

It gets back to that true point that they're chasing trends, chasing a trend, again, and the results have not really been good in regard to the band, or, at least the name of the band.

It would be one thing for them to do this new record and release specific remixes featuring whoever, Dua Lipa, as some are frothing at the mouth about, in regard to the trendiness of whatever, all the rage on Spotify for 2 weeks.

And will those remixes be any good aside from the clubbing culture, which probably has no idea what the hell is being played anyway.

We'll find out in June or whenever it comes out - way after the trendy!

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: December 6, 2022 16:13

To be honest they could release a great album and we’d complain. Bottom line: we’re a lot older and responsibilities and priorities in life have changed like kids/ grand kids. I was 16 in 1978, partying and sex and probably literally wore 10 vinyl copies of Some Girls out. It was our youth and as much as we want to relive it we can’t. Was 10 when I saw the stones on Dick Cavett with my older brother and at the time my shocked mother and I was hooked. Went from the Partridge Family directly to the Stones and have had every studio/ live album the first day of release since GHS. Excited for new music absolutely. Will I have stories to reminisce like skipped school with some friends, got baked, and played the new stones album 10 times straight blaring out of large tower speakers and then we got caught for skipping school- most likely not. Stones album releases were like second comings in the Boston area. Radio stations like WBCN and WAAF which no longer exist would announce “ we just got the new Stones Album in and will be playing it in its entirety at midnight tonight” and you would spend the day cranking the radio dial back and forth with your cassette player ready to tape hoping to get some of the songs before midnight. It was truly like Santa had arrived. Want a great album but doubtful it would have the magic of our youth.

Date: December 7, 2022 00:51

Bashlets
Want a great album but doubtful it would have the magic of our youth.

We'll never again be able to listen to an album (be it the Stones or anyone else) the same we we did in our youth (in my case, in the 1970s). I sometimes wonder what I would think about, say, Sticky Fingers, had it not appeared when it did but last week only. Retro? Old school? Stones by the numbers?

Date: December 7, 2022 01:08

mpj200
The boys say the album is really coming together. Still in LA working on it.

Yeah, looks like the Stones still in Los Angeles. Sally shared a post two days ago visiting the Flour Shop in Beverly Hills with the girls [www.instagram.com]

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: December 7, 2022 01:16

doitywoik
Bashlets

We'll never again be able to listen to an album (be it the Stones or anyone else) the same we we did in our youth (in my case, in the 1970s). I sometimes wonder what I would think about, say, Sticky Fingers, had it not appeared when it did but last week only. Retro? Old school? Stones by the numbers?

To me, however, the adequate question is: Will a possible new Rolling Stones studio album make me listen to it with up to the maximum of my present ability for enjoyment and glimpses of ecstacy? That will to me mean that there is still magic about the Rolling Stones studiowise! It is my dream, it is my wish!

Date: December 7, 2022 02:50

Witness
doitywoik
Bashlets

To me, however, the adequate question is: Will a possible new Rolling Stones studio album make me listen to it with up to the maximum of my present ability for enjoyment and glimpses of ecstacy? That will to me mean that there is still magic about the Rolling Stones studiowise! It is my dream, it is my wish!

I think that doesn't contradict the fact that we (or most of us anyway) are meanwhile past our youth and listen to albums differently now. I guess all of us nevertheless hope for an album we really like and which showers us with glimpses of ecstasy. smiling smiley

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: December 7, 2022 03:12

doitywoik
Witness
doitywoik
Bashlets

I think that doesn't contradict the fact that we (or most of us anyway) are meanwhile past our youth and listen to albums differently now. I guess all of us nevertheless hope for an album we really like and which showers us with glimpses of ecstasy. smiling smiley

But I did not and do not enter into that kind of comparison.

(And, by the way, my feelings on the fotball terrasses are quite unchanged from what they were in earlier years.)

Posted by: kkhoranstoned ()
Date: December 7, 2022 21:11

Hoping for lots of music and I hope the band goes everywhere with the music
50s rockabilly. country. ballads
Chicago blues. New dance beats.
Celebrate my friends life is short
We seen alot in 60 years...

Date: December 9, 2022 19:54

doitywoik
Bashlets

As it is? Or do you mean in a modern Stones way now? Either way you'd probably be completely floored and wonder why they haven't released more.

Date: December 9, 2022 20:15

doitywoik
Witness
doitywoik
Bashlets

What The Cult achieved with their new album UNDER THE MIDNIGHT SUN is, for some people, a nostalgic trip back to their first album but the truth of it is it's just their true sound, their signature sound, minus, as Billy Duffy said, "a bluesy-free zone".

New with signature hooks, sounds, spirit etc.

Living In A Ghost Town achieved a kind of similar mentality it seems - nothing on it is overcooked like with Doom And Gloom or Don't Stop, it has a lot of space within (the sounds of it are very much UNDERCOVER in some ways, in the swampy hemisphere of Feel On Baby and, more recently, Rain Fall Down) and it's not a head basher like Rough Justice - it's actually elegant.

If the new Stones album has that quality to it we're in for a pretty damn good album.

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: December 10, 2022 03:32

No guests please. Dave Matthews et al ruin every live track. Witness poor Memory Motel. If this is the last time, I only want the Stones and their traditional side men.

Date: December 10, 2022 04:43

I agree. I would like a Stones album and not Stones et al.

I am sure Mick will figure a way to add some outside musicians. Hopefully they will fit in.

And I agree the guest usually destroy the song.

donvis
No guests please. Dave Matthews et al ruin every live track. Witness poor Memory Motel. If this is the last time, I only want the Stones and their traditional side men.

Date: December 10, 2022 07:35

GasLightStreet
doitywoik
Bashlets

As it is? Or do you mean in a modern Stones way now? Either way you'd probably be completely floored and wonder why they haven't released more.

Good question! If "as it is" I'd certainly be delighted while others might complain they are just trying to recreate the days of yore. If in "modern stones way" (suppose, in GGAG style) I'd certainly complain about it being a bunch of not so bad songs ruined by the way of production. CYHMK as a techno dance track? No way! What a present teenager would say is yet a different question.

Let's take it the other way round. Suppose ABB had been released in 1972 or so with the songs done in Exile or SF style and sound. I really couldn't say what I would have thought about them as a teen in the mid-70s.

GasLightStreet
Living In A Ghost Town achieved a kind of similar mentality it seems - nothing on it is overcooked like with Doom And Gloom or Don't Stop, it has a lot of space within (the sounds of it are very much UNDERCOVER in some ways, in the swampy hemisphere of Feel On Baby and, more recently, Rain Fall Down) and it's not a head basher like Rough Justice - it's actually elegant.

To me, both Doom And Gloom and Ghost Town have kind of an unfinished feel, albeit D&G much more so than Ghost Town. As for me, D&G would definitely have needed some more (and proper) work, I see the two released versions rather as two quick approaches. It’s definitely missing a solo, and perhaps also some middle section for the extra kick (and it definitely doesn’t need any synthesizers). Also, it works better for me with the longer intro. I constructed my own version in WaveLab out of the two released versions ... Nevertheless I think it was the best single since SMU when it came out.
As for Ghost Town, I can’t really say what I’m missing. Of course I would have preferred a version without all the clippings (cut-off wave forms), really would have improved the overall sound. But beyond that I feel like that’s not yet 100% it although I can’t tell what exactly what or why.

Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: December 10, 2022 08:17

doitywoik
GasLightStreet
doitywoik
Bashlets

Good question! If "as it is" I'd certainly be delighted while others might complain they are just trying to recreate the days of yore. If in "modern stones way" (suppose, in GGAG style) I'd certainly complain about it being a bunch of not so bad songs ruined by the way of production. CYHMK as a techno dance track? No way! What a present teenager would say is yet a different question.

Let's take it the other way round. Suppose ABB had been released in 1972 or so with the songs done in Exile or SF style and sound. I really couldn't say what I would have thought about them as a teen in the mid-70s.

GasLightStreet

To me, both Doom And Gloom and Ghost Town have kind of an unfinished feel, albeit D&G much more so than Ghost Town. As for me, D&G would definitely have needed some more (and proper) work, I see the two released versions rather as two quick approaches. It’s definitely missing a solo, and perhaps also some middle section for the extra kick (and it definitely doesn’t need any synthesizers). Also, it works better for me with the longer intro. I constructed my own version in WaveLab out of the two released versions ... Nevertheless I think it was the best single since SMU when it came out.
As for Ghost Town, I can’t really say what I’m missing. Of course I would have preferred a version without all the clippings (cut-off wave forms), really would have improved the overall sound. But beyond that I feel like that’s not yet 100% it although I can’t tell what exactly what or why.

I would absolutely love to hear your hybrid mix of the two D&G versions - could I please trouble you to e-mail me a copy, if you don't mind? I'd be more than happy to e-mail you something in return if you like. Thank you!

Posted by: two4fun111 ()
Date: December 10, 2022 15:13

Bashlets
To be honest they could release a great album and we’d complain. Bottom line: we’re a lot older and responsibilities and priorities in life have changed like kids/ grand kids. I was 16 in 1978, partying and sex and probably literally wore 10 vinyl copies of Some Girls out. It was our youth and as much as we want to relive it we can’t. Was 10 when I saw the stones on Dick Cavett with my older brother and at the time my shocked mother and I was hooked. Went from the Partridge Family directly to the Stones and have had every studio/ live album the first day of release since GHS. Excited for new music absolutely. Will I have stories to reminisce like skipped school with some friends, got baked, and played the new stones album 10 times straight blaring out of large tower speakers and then we got caught for skipping school- most likely not. Stones album releases were like second comings in the Boston area. Radio stations like WBCN and WAAF which no longer exist would announce “ we just got the new Stones Album in and will be playing it in its entirety at midnight tonight” and you would spend the day cranking the radio dial back and forth with your cassette player ready to tape hoping to get some of the songs before midnight. It was truly like Santa had arrived. Want a great album but doubtful it would have the magic of our youth.

you basically just described my/our experience in Kenova, WV ...especially with the radio station,etc

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...582583584585586587588589590591592...LastNext
Current Page: 587 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1930
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home