Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...580581582583584585586587588589590...LastNext
Current Page: 585 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2023
Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: November 25, 2022 16:30

I'm sorry, master. I don't mean to disappoint you.

Date: November 25, 2022 17:07

I hindsight, perhaps my verbiage was a bit harsh in calling those albums utter crap. For me, they're just weaker albums in the canon is all. And Some Girls I used to like, even with 2 of my 3 least favorite songs on it (Shattered and Beast of Burden), but those two combined with the Miss You, which has really crept up my list of unenjoyable songs, thanks in large part to the combination of the mundane live versions and it's beyond predictable slot after Keef's set in the setlist, and the album has fallen tremendously in my rankings.

I love the hard edginess of DW. The tension in the band is quite apparent in all of the songs, and I still maintain One Hit would make one helluva show opener!!!! Imagine a stadium full of people and those opening heavy notes being strum to start the show as the band walks out. Most of the crowd wouldn't know what the hell is going on and man it'd be a blistering way to start the show!!!

Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: November 25, 2022 17:56

VoodooLounge13
I hindsight, perhaps my verbiage was a bit harsh in calling those albums utter crap. For me, they're just weaker albums in the canon is all. And Some Girls I used to like, even with 2 of my 3 least favorite songs on it (Shattered and Beast of Burden), but those two combined with the Miss You, which has really crept up my list of unenjoyable songs, thanks in large part to the combination of the mundane live versions and it's beyond predictable slot after Keef's set in the setlist, and the album has fallen tremendously in my rankings.

I love the hard edginess of DW. The tension in the band is quite apparent in all of the songs, and I still maintain One Hit would make one helluva show opener!!!! Imagine a stadium full of people and those opening heavy notes being strum to start the show as the band walks out. Most of the crowd wouldn't know what the hell is going on and man it'd be a blistering way to start the show!!!

While I myself still generally enjoy SG (with Miss You and Shattered being among my all-time favourite songs), I totally concur with you regarding the edginess of DW, and with One Hit in particular. One Hit is also an all-time favourite track of mine, with an ominous intro not unlike that of 2000LYFH (yet another favourite)! In my view, One Hit is perhaps the most underrated single in their catalogue, given it hasn't been featured on many (or in fact, any) compilation albums. I guess that's due to its low chart performance (which I've never fully understood, but again, music tastes are subjective).

Anyway, getting back on topic, if the new album is to offer a track or two with a similar dangerous and threatening atmosphere of One Hit, or of DW in general, I definitely won't be disappointed.

Posted by: erad ()
Date: November 25, 2022 21:35

I always found the video for 'One Hit...' pretty funny when it comes to Jimmy Page's solo and its made out that Keith is playing it.

Page's distinctive 80s tele sound is all over it which makes the song imo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-11-25 21:36 by erad.

Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: November 26, 2022 00:40

erad
I always found the video for 'One Hit...' pretty funny when it comes to Jimmy Page's solo and its made out that Keith is playing it.

thumbs up

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: November 26, 2022 10:08

erad

What makes the song is Keith’s awesome riff….

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: November 26, 2022 11:39

Thanksgiving in LA

[www.instagram.com]

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: November 26, 2022 13:56

I am not good at recognizing celebs du jour. Who is the girl?

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: November 26, 2022 14:17

doitywoik
I am not good at recognizing celebs du jour. Who is the girl?

The Mavis's were an Australian rock band formed in Ballarat, Victoria, in 1987. Founding mainstays are Becky Thomas (a.k.a. Beki Thomas, Beki Colada) on vocals and keyboards, her brother Matt Thomas on guitar and vocals (a.k.a. Matt Doll), and Andrea Vendy on drums. They were joined by Nick Gill (a.k.a. Nik Daniel) on guitar in 1990, and Josh Alexander on bass guitar in 1994. They released three studio albums: Venus Returning (July 1996), Pink Pills (April 1998) – which reached No. 12 on the ARIA Albums Chart – and Rapture (March 2003). Their synth-driven single, "Cry" (January 1998), peaked at No. 13 on the ARIA Singles Charts and was listed on the Triple J Hottest 100 for 1998. The band also performed the song on Hey Hey It's Saturday. They disbanded in December 2001 after a farewell tour of Australia.

Date: November 26, 2022 14:51

@Lien,

thanks for filling me in!

Posted by: wolundamo ()
Date: November 26, 2022 15:53

Poor Ronnie...

Date: November 26, 2022 18:16

From the other thread:

claudine
[www.instagram.com]

winking smiley

Poor Mick! (or rather, poor Dua Lipa?) winking smiley

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 26, 2022 18:41

doitywoik
From the other thread:

claudine
[www.instagram.com]

winking smiley

Poor album

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: November 26, 2022 18:49

KRiffhard
doitywoik
From the other thread:

claudine
[www.instagram.com]

winking smiley

Poor album
Why? A bit of fresh air could do them good!

Date: November 26, 2022 19:38

StonedRambler
KRiffhard
doitywoik
From the other thread:

claudine
[www.instagram.com]

winking smiley

Poor album
Why? A bit of fresh air could do them good!

Let's wait what role the really play on the album (if any). Maybe they just join(ed) the background singers. Couldn't do so much harm there. Or provided hand claps, like Tom Waits on Dirty Work.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 26, 2022 20:11

I saw Dua Lipa perform on Saturday Night Live a couple of years ago, and she was quite good I thought as far as all around performance goes.
She could add a bit of exuberance to a new Stones tune, and might help something like "Tell the Truth" become an actual listenable tune vs. the unfinished turd of a snippet that it currently is.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: November 26, 2022 20:22

A week ago or so someone here said they were working with producer Andrew Watts. Andrew Watt also produced some things for Dua Lipa like her hit single "Break My Heart" or her collaboration with Miley Cyrus "Prisoner".

There you got another connection...

Posted by: Bluesstone ()
Date: November 26, 2022 20:42

Whatever is really going on apart from a lot of guesswork we are left with right now, I'm glad that after years of waiting, this ominous new album for sure has some momentum at last

Date: November 26, 2022 20:57

Maybe they're are doing something similar like James Cameron in Avatar inviting friends

"Cameron gave fellow directors Steven Spielberg and Peter Jackson a chance to test the new technology. Spielberg said, "I like to think of it as digital makeup, not augmented animation ... Motion capture brings the director back to a kind of intimacy that actors and directors only know when they're working in live theater." Spielberg and George Lucas were also able to visit the set to watch Cameron direct with the equipment."
[en.wikipedia.org]

Date: November 26, 2022 20:58

Bluesstone
Whatever is really going on apart from a lot of guesswork we are left with right now, I'm glad that after years of waiting, this ominous new album for sure has some momentum at last

smileys with beer

Date: November 26, 2022 21:05

Based on recent history, seems they enjoy the camaraderie and contributions of guests whether on Stones albums, solo material, or other projects.

Eric Clapton contributed to Blue and Lonesome.
Mick recently collaborated with Dave Grohl on Easy Sleazy.
Quite a few collaborated with Mick on the Getta Grip/England Lost remixs.
And then there's Micks's involvement in the collaborative "supergroup" Superheavy.
Norah Jones was a guest vocalist on Keith's Illusion, not to mention all the other additional musicians on Crosseyed Heart. > (Keith)

There's probably more that I don't recall at the moment, but the fact is they've enjoyed the support/camaraderie of outsiders/others in recent times.
And seems only natural they will include some guests for what could be their final album - maybe one guest, maybe two guests, or maybe a dozen guests.
Maybe a massive celebration with 100 guests!!! Time will tell...if they ever get the album done that is...keep hoping...gotta keep the faith...

Date: November 26, 2022 21:14

If they want a hit dua lipa is a sure bet

Not sure i like the idea of all these guest artist though

Date: November 26, 2022 22:31

Aren't there any pics of Keith with a younger woman?

Date: November 27, 2022 00:07

Keef’s satisfied with his wife. LOL

Date: November 27, 2022 00:08

Must say I do worry about all these musicians dropping by. I hope it’s not an album where every song has a different guest on it. Interesting group of folks so far though. Still optimistic for the album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-11-27 05:14 by VoodooLounge13.

Date: November 27, 2022 00:30

Santana had huge success with his 1999 album Supernatural which featured many guests including Eric Clapton, Rob Thomas, Lauryn Hill, and Cee Lo Green to name a few.

From wiki:

Supernatural was a huge commercial success worldwide, generating renewed interest in Santana's music. It reached No. 1 in eleven countries, including the US for 12 non-consecutive weeks, where it is certified 15× platinum. The first of six singles from the album, "Smooth" featuring Matchbox Twenty singer Rob Thomas, and co-written by Thomas and Itaal Shur, was a number one success worldwide and topped the Billboard Hot 100 chart for 12 weeks. The next, "Maria Maria", featuring the Product G&B, was number one in the US for 10 weeks. Supernatural is Santana’s best-selling album to date, the best-selling album by a Hispanic artist in music history, and one of the best-selling albums of all time, selling an estimated 30 million copies worldwide. At the 2000 Grammy Awards, Supernatural won nine Grammy Awards, breaking the record held by Michael Jackson's Thriller for the most honored album.

SANTANA

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Not one of my favorite Santana albums by any stretch, but it was indeed an unquestionably huge success, and I can imagine the Stones/Mick wanting to follow the same path.
Probably their last album, and no doubt they want to go out with a big hoorah with lots of fanfare and critical acclaim.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-11-27 00:33 by Hairball.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: November 27, 2022 01:22

Mick tried that, more or less, on Goddess in the Doorway: collabs with Bono, Lenny Kravitz, Wyclef Jean, and Rob Thomas himself.

Needless to say, it did not work out as planned.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 27, 2022 03:59

Y'all are reaching.

Posted by: mpj200 ()
Date: November 27, 2022 04:19

The boys say the album is really coming together. Still in LA working on it.

Date: November 27, 2022 04:45

With all the friends and guests they've been hosting at the studio, hopefully they're maintaining somewhat of a "bubble" to some extent as corona cases seems to be on the rise once again in L.A.

From ABC7 Eyewitness News:

"The county has been seeing steadily rising case and hospitalization numbers since the beginning of November,
prompting health officials last week to again strongly recommend that people wear masks at indoor public settings".

> Living in a Ghost Town (Revisited)

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...580581582583584585586587588589590...LastNext
Current Page: 585 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1756
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home