Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...577578579580581582583584585586587...LastNext
Current Page: 582 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2023
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 19, 2022 22:00

Doxa
SomeGuy
A few minor details here. Jagger indeed didn't actually leave the band. On the other hand, he might have done so, had Primitive Cool been a success (Mick hinted at that in '87, himself, in the interview he gave to one Boudewijn Buch on Dutch tv). Because he was not bound by the then current contract with Columbia/CBS. They had a contract to deliver four albums, but were to be paid per album and if they only did one album they would simply get one fourth of the money (source: Bill Wyman, when Dirty Work came out). The way I understood it, they -as a band, but not Jagger as a solo artist- simply could have quitted then.
In the end (lucky for us!) they chose to continue and delivered another studio album, one live record and one compilation cd, which arguably makes four albums, before quickly getting rid of the label and moving to Virgin/EMI.

That's interesting! I didn't know that the four-album deal had that album-by-album option. Yeah, that deal sounded like made to serve the interest of Jagger's solo career - for him easily to get rid of his Stones commitments if needed. The end was at least theoretically really near (and yeah, I recall also one interview in which Mick stated pretty clearly that the Stones are done)... PRIMITIVE COOL flopped big time, but it would be interesting to know how well it should have sold in order for him really to quit the Stones.

- Doxa

87 was JUST before the slacker generation hit. Had Mick had more of a finger on the pulse, he would have released "Let's Not Work" instead of his choice for lead single, in which case we wouldn't be speculating on the new album and tour for 2023.

Missed it...by that much!

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: November 19, 2022 23:20

My guess is that, had Primitive Cool been a top ten chart hit worldwide, he might have pursued a solo career further than he did. But then I'm also pretty sure that, at some point, he would have worked with the other Stones again. I mean, that happens to other bands as well.

In the end, we have a couple of solo records and a couple of Stones records (and tours!), since.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: November 20, 2022 00:27

It seems that commercial success is only important when it's convenient .... mah!
Personally I believe that the temporary stop of the Stones in those years was necessary, I never thought that Mick wanted to set up on his own, if he wanted to do it he would have done it a long time ago, like Rod Stewart did, don't wait until you are 45 to to do it. Mick however I needed to do something of his own, in the same way as Keith, it is no coincidence that each of them then continued to have a personal career outside the Stones, not for money and glory, but for the simple pleasure to do what they want to do.
This is my take on it...

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: November 20, 2022 04:28

1985 solo LP
1986 Stones LP / solo 2 new tracks
1987 solo LP
1988 solo tour

1989 Stones LP & tour
1990 Stones tour
1991 Stones 2 new tracks
1993 solo LP
1994 Stones LP & tour
1995 Stones tour
1997 Stones LP & tour
1998 Stones tour
1999 Stones tour
2001 solo LP
2002 Stones 3 new tracks & tour
2003 Stones tour
2004 solo 4 new tracks
2005 Stones LP & tour
2006 Stones tour
2007 Stones tour / solo single
2010 6 new Stones vocals
2011 side project/ 6 new Stones vocals
2012 2 new Stones tracks & mini-tour
2013 Stones tour
2014 Stones tour
2015 Stones tour
2016 Stones tour & LP
2017 solo 2 new tracks / Stones tour
2018 Stones tour
2019 Stones
2020 Stones 1 new track & 1 new vocal
2021 solo 1 new track / 6 new Stones vocals
2022 solo 1 new track

Take a look at the bold. Doesn't seem like he abandoned his solo career at all. Seems like he maintains a healthy balance for what he desires.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 20, 2022 04:57

ROCKMAN

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: November 20, 2022 11:48

New musical inspiration, a fresh nose away from his long time "brothers", that's all.
Mick would not have had any chance to make it BIG as a solo artist. His charisma was and still is totally linked to the Rolling Stones.
The majority of the buyers of his solo albums (just like in the case of Keith) were Rolling Stones fans anyway.
Mick in Japan and Australia was nothing more than showing up in places that were (not at all=Japan, or modestly) treated by the Rolling Stones in the past. "Together" with Ronnie he managed to get in touch with the right people in 1988 to have the Stones playing BIG TIME in Japan in 1990 (10 massive concerts within some two weeks on one spot was totally unheard of in the land of the rising sun!)
When I lived in Japan in the mid 70s, the Rolling Stones were BIG over there, but just like a conservative British part of society in the mid 60s, traditional (there is a nastier word there) Japanese didn't want those foreign "junkies" (even Paul McCartney from the "godly late Beatles" was blocked at some point) around. Times had to change first.

Maybe they will do Japan again next year, supported by a new album, after an absence of by then, 9 years.

smileys with beer

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: November 20, 2022 11:55

Irix
Nikkei

Does anyone know on which page of this thread we discussed the twentysome-second snippet Mick threw us a few years back? Him playing harp in the living room.

4-Sep-2018 - [www.Facebook.com] , [iorr.org] .

thx Irix you're always the fastest in getting the link chaos sorted out. I see there's even been a news article about it

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: November 20, 2022 15:39

I have no insider information and this is a rumor at best but a friend of mine bumped into someone who said producer Andrew Watt “ maybe” working with The stones in LA. I have no other info and don’t even know who this guy is. Haven’t googled him yet and again my friend said that’s all he heard and told me because he knows I’m a fanatic. Take this with a pinch of salt.

Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: November 20, 2022 15:54

Bashlets
I have no insider information and this is a rumor at best but a friend of mine bumped into someone who said producer Andrew Watt “ maybe” working with The stones in LA. I have no other info and don’t even know who this guy is. Haven’t googled him yet and again my friend said that’s all he heard and told me because he knows I’m a fanatic. Take this with a pinch of salt.

Thank you Bashlets for the tidbit. I Googled the name 'Andrew Watt' and he does indeed exist, as a young American record producer, so the rumour may not be so far out there. Time will tell.....thanks for sharing!

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: November 20, 2022 16:57

Has anyone news about Ringo being around??
A single song with both Beatles involved cold be a historic fact

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: November 20, 2022 17:47

sf37
Bashlets

Thank you Bashlets for the tidbit. I Googled the name 'Andrew Watt' and he does indeed exist, as a young American record producer, so the rumour may not be so far out there. Time will tell.....thanks for sharing!

He's a guitar player that played on and produced the last 2 Ozzy Osborne albums.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-11-20 17:48 by kovach.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 20, 2022 18:44

Bashlets

Many thanks thumbs up

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: November 20, 2022 19:09

Rocky Dijon
1985 solo LP
1986 Stones LP / solo 2 new tracks
1987 solo LP
1988 solo tour

1989 Stones LP & tour
1990 Stones tour
1991 Stones 2 new tracks
1993 solo LP
1994 Stones LP & tour
1995 Stones tour
1997 Stones LP & tour
1998 Stones tour
1999 Stones tour
2001 solo LP
2002 Stones 3 new tracks & tour
2003 Stones tour
2004 solo 4 new tracks
2005 Stones LP & tour
2006 Stones tour
2007 Stones tour / solo single
2010 6 new Stones vocals
2011 side project/ 6 new Stones vocals
2012 2 new Stones tracks & mini-tour
2013 Stones tour
2014 Stones tour
2015 Stones tour
2016 Stones tour & LP
2017 solo 2 new tracks / Stones tour
2018 Stones tour
2019 Stones
2020 Stones 1 new track & 1 new vocal
2021 solo 1 new track / 6 new Stones vocals
2022 solo 1 new track

Take a look at the bold. Doesn't seem like he abandoned his solo career at all. Seems like he maintains a healthy balance for what he desires.

Do two handfuls of solo tracks since 2001 really constitute a solo "career"? Looks more like some private enjoyment fun in my book...

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: November 20, 2022 19:10

Irix

By Steve Jordan: "Rockin’ with Paul !"

Same studio ; Keith whishing Joe Walsh a Happy Birthday
[fb.watch]

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: November 20, 2022 19:18

Exciting

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 20, 2022 20:32

Lien
Irix

[fb.watch]

Great news. thumbs up

Date: November 20, 2022 21:21

Hairball
Lien
Irix

[fb.watch]

Great news. thumbs up

smileys with beer

Steve also shared a pic with Stevie Wonder a couple of weeks ago

[www.instagram.com]

Probably some musicians and producers had join them during the studio sessions in NYC and LA.

Looks like they are in Henson Recording Studios. Don Was was there on early November

[www.instagram.com]

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: November 20, 2022 22:02

DiegoGlimmerStones
Hairball
Lien
Irix

[fb.watch]

Great news. thumbs up

smileys with beer

Steve also shared a pic with Stevie Wonder a couple of weeks ago

[www.instagram.com]

Probably some musicians and producers had join them during the studio sessions in NYC and LA.

Looks like they are in Henson Recording Studios. Don Was was there on early November

[www.instagram.com]

Pretty sure the bloke on the right is Macca's touring drummer, Abe Laboriel jr. Does his backing vocals too, much needed to paper over the cracks in Macca's fading voice. The tall chap next to him looks like Pino Palladino, until a few years back the Who's touring bass player.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 20, 2022 22:34

Hey yeah Keef looking healthy and in a recording studio ....

ROCKMAN

Date: November 20, 2022 22:48

Rockman

Looks like he's in Studio Mix Control Room

[hensonrecording.com]

Here you can see all the pics of the studio where the boys are recording in the offical site: smileys with beer

[www.hensonrecording.com]

Date: November 21, 2022 00:12

Stevie Wonder, Macca, Bono, and a slew of side musicians including Abe Laboriel jr. and Pino Palladino, not to mention Steve Jordan, Chuck Leavell, Darryl Jones, et al....
Sounds like it's going to take an entire village to complete a new Stones album (!), but even without the Stones involved, could be an interesting "Supergroup"....maybe add someone like Joe Walsh...

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: November 21, 2022 00:22

Hairball
Stevie Wonder, Macca, Bono, and a slew of side musicians including Abe Laboriel jr. and Pino Palladino, not to mention Steve Jordan, Chuck Leavell, Darryl Jones, et al....
Sounds like it's going to take an entire village to complete a new Stones album (!), but even without the Stones involved, could be an interesting "Supergroup"....maybe add someone like Joe Walsh...

You're fairly local aren't you ? Surprised they haven't given you a shout grinning smiley

Date: November 21, 2022 00:28

grzegorz67
Hairball

You're fairly local aren't you ? Surprised they haven't given you a shout grinning smiley

About an hours drive north, but if they need someone to play the tambourine or bongos I hope they give me a call! smiling smiley

Date: November 21, 2022 01:15

Ronnie yesterday in Beverly Hills

[www.instagram.com]

Date: November 21, 2022 01:46

kovach
sf37
Bashlets

He's a guitar player that played on and produced the last 2 Ozzy Osborne albums.

Ozzy still lives in Beverly Hills I believe not far from Henson Recording Studios...maybe he'll be another guest on the new Stones album?

Street Fighting Iron Man....

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 21, 2022 03:49

Testify
It seems that commercial success is only important when it's convenient .... mah!
Personally I believe that the temporary stop of the Stones in those years was necessary, I never thought that Mick wanted to set up on his own, if he wanted to do it he would have done it a long time ago, like Rod Stewart did, don't wait until you are 45 to to do it. Mick however I needed to do something of his own, in the same way as Keith, it is no coincidence that each of them then continued to have a personal career outside the Stones, not for money and glory, but for the simple pleasure to do what they want to do.
This is my take on it...

It's changed since Mick did his 3, when it was possible and convenient, and then later, 1. It was possibly more artistic for Keith than Mick in totality.

It's (wayyyy more) lucrative to be in The Rolling Stones period.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: November 21, 2022 04:02

this is all great news and very exciting

but

am i alone in being concerned about the large number of guest musician that are potentially on what is likely the last stones album that we've waited nearly 2 decades for

don't get me wrong i'll appreciate whatever they give us and buy all 36 version of it and play it everyday all day everywhere for months

but what i really want is the remaining stones to featured prominently and not bono

i know i know b-tches keep b-tching

Date: November 21, 2022 04:06

Rockman

perhaps not mutually exclusive

like when a animal is returned to its natural habitat and flourisheswinking smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 21, 2022 04:11

ProfessorWolf

but

am i alone in being concerned about the large number of guest musician that are potentially on what is likely the last stones album that we've waited nearly 2 decades for

don't get me wrong i'll appreciate whatever they give us and buy all 36 version of it and play it everyday all day everywhere for months

but what i really want is the remaining stones to featured prominently and not bono

I haven't seen anything to give reason to such a ridiculous thing. It will very likely be the last Stones album in regard to their living and working ages.

Date: November 21, 2022 04:25

GasLightStreet
ProfessorWolf

but

I haven't seen anything to give reason to such a ridiculous thing. It will very likely be the last Stones album in regard to their living and working ages.

well i hope your right but when i see photos and read acounts accounts of people like bono, mccartney, and stevie wonder being in the proximity of them while there recording it makes me wonder

hopefully a ridiculous paranoid delusion on my part

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...577578579580581582583584585586587...LastNext
Current Page: 582 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1734
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home