Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...576577578579580581582583584585586...LastNext
Current Page: 581 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2023
Posted by: campxray ()
Date: November 18, 2022 05:09

VoodooLounge13
campxray
Any chance that the Stones are in LA working on the album? In the past couple of days, according to Instagram stories and posts by both Melanie and Sally, Melanie, Dev, Sally & the twins, were at a Harry Styles concert. Harry Styles has been doing concerts in LA. I don't think Melanie and Sally and the little ones would be in LA without Mick and Ronnie.

Ya just gotta read back a coupla pages for that answer. Not all 580……

Thanks. I didn't go back far enough.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 18, 2022 05:18

UrbanSteel
GasLightStreet
VoodooLounge13
When was the last time they produced themselves? If ever?

1974, 1976, 1978, 1980, 1981

1981 Tattoo You: associate producer and recording engineer Chris Kimsey.
Chris was the man who made the first outtakes album, most of the songs are years old.

Dating back to the 1972 GOATS HEAD SOUP sessions through 1979's EMOTIONAL RESCUE sessions, yes. Courtesy of Chris Kimsey.

Produced by The Glimmer Twins. Associate producer is, apparently, not "the" producer.

Date: November 18, 2022 05:22

VoodooLounge13
GasLightStreet
VoodooLounge13

Ah, well, they had a couple of good albums in that time period now didn't they?!?! Some notsomuch......actually most notsomuch, but a pair of good ones!!!! (B&B, TY)

One has to come to terms beyond being a fan and take the critical aspects for real. Hence, IT'S ONLY ROCK'N'ROLL, SOME GIRLS and EMOTIONAL RESCUE are fantastic albums as well.

Look beyond what you think. Look at the time(s) of each LP.

EXILE got slagged, for example.

Date: November 18, 2022 05:27

campxray
VoodooLounge13
campxray
Any chance that the Stones are in LA working on the album? In the past couple of days, according to Instagram stories and posts by both Melanie and Sally, Melanie, Dev, Sally & the twins, were at a Harry Styles concert. Harry Styles has been doing concerts in LA. I don't think Melanie and Sally and the little ones would be in LA without Mick and Ronnie.

Actually, the be fair in regard to your question, regardless of not reading a page or few prior, it seems that they are but Mick has been elsewhere. And it's quite obvious no one actually knows if they are currently, or will be soon, as Ronnie hinted.

Where's Keith? Who's producing? Is it now or in a couple weeks? "Going to LA in a few weeks to carry on"... how long is a piece of string? What is "a few weeks" to Ronnie Wood etc than someone living paycheck to paycheck?

So figure... sometime before or after Thanksgiving through sometime before or after Christmas in regard to "carry on".

And even then... no way to know if it will actually be "done". Winter (December 1 - February 28) could lead to who knows what - more overdubs, new recording of old songs and new songs...

Ronnie will let us know!

Posted by: campxray ()
Date: November 18, 2022 09:01

GasLightStreet
campxray
VoodooLounge13
campxray

Actually, the be fair in regard to your question, regardless of not reading a page or few prior, it seems that they are but Mick has been elsewhere. And it's quite obvious no one actually knows if they are currently, or will be soon, as Ronnie hinted.

Where's Keith? Who's producing? Is it now or in a couple weeks? "Going to LA in a few weeks to carry on"... how long is a piece of string? What is "a few weeks" to Ronnie Wood etc than someone living paycheck to paycheck?

So figure... sometime before or after Thanksgiving through sometime before or after Christmas in regard to "carry on".

And even then... no way to know if it will actually be "done". Winter (December 1 - February 28) could lead to who knows what - more overdubs, new recording of old songs and new songs...

Ronnie will let us know!

If Mick wasn't there when other band members were first spotted, I'm sure he must be there now. His girlfriend, Melanie, and their son Dev were in LA at a Harry Styles concert, within the last few days. So was Ronnie's wife and twins. They wouldn't have been there without Mick and Ronnie. Keith, I don't know, so I believe that they are carrying on as Ronnie said they would. Ronnie, I believe, had said they would finish it up in LA. Whether they manage to finish it up, who knows. But I believe I heard, in here. that there's a lot more that needs to be done before it can be released, and that will happen, from what I understand, along with the tour. But I think Ronnie meant that the Stones part of the album would be finished.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-11-18 09:08 by campxray.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: November 18, 2022 11:18

NashvilleBlues
VoodooLounge13
GasLightStreet
VoodooLounge13

Ah, well, they had a couple of good albums in that time period now didn't they?!?! Some notsomuch......actually most notsomuch, but a pair of good ones!!!! (B&B, TY)

I really like 4 of the 5. ER isn't terrible either.

I think the contributions of Andy and Glyn Johns and Chris Kimsey are underappreciated on these recordings.

sc uk

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: November 18, 2022 17:13

straycatuk
NashvilleBlues
VoodooLounge13
GasLightStreet
VoodooLounge13

I really like 4 of the 5. ER isn't terrible either.

I think the contributions of Andy and Glyn Johns and Chris Kimsey are underappreciated on these recordings.

sc uk

agree!

Posted by: kkhoranstoned ()
Date: November 18, 2022 17:17

All are hopes and dreams
For these batch of songs to be shared
You can get lost listening to voodoo brew ect and all recent studio demos
Of unreleased music...Enjoy your Thanksgiving

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: November 18, 2022 17:31

I'm always wondering where they are in the process. Surely they've settled on a title and album cover art. Do they have some sort of ceremonial handoff where the record company marketing department officially gets to brainstorm some big ideas? Are they going to make music videos, and what is the schedule for that? When could we realistically get the first single or the announcement of the actual album release date?

I just have to believe that the marketing for the new album will be tied to the next tour. To me, that's so exciting. Finally a tour with no generic name, but themed behind an actual new album.

I hope they resist the urge to release a short album. Bartender, make it a double!

smileys with beer

Posted by: CJFP ()
Date: November 18, 2022 19:36

[www.instagram.com]

Might we see a Macca feature?

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: November 18, 2022 19:40

By Steve Jordan: "Rockin’ with Paul !"

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: November 18, 2022 19:42

A "The last waltz" record...lots of guests maybe...cool smiley

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: November 18, 2022 19:45

Irix

By Steve Jordan: "Rockin’ with Paul !"

Looks like Paul dipped into Keith's weed stash! smoking smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 18, 2022 20:15

The Stones could use a bit of help in the bass playing department, and maybe/hopefully the tune Keith and Paul wrote together back in 2010 will eventually see the light of day as a new Stones tune.

From RadioX.com, 2010:

Keith Richards and Sir Paul McCartney Write Song Together
The collaboration happened while they were on holiday...

The BeatleStones

Keith Richards has made the revelation in his new autobiography 'Life'. The Rolling Stones' guitarist writes: "He told me that because he was left-handed,
he and John could play the guitars like mirrors opposite each other, watching each other's hands. So we started playing like that. We even started composing a song together,
a McCartney/Richards number whose lyrics were pinned to the wall for many weeks." But the track has never been recorded or played live.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-11-18 20:16 by Hairball.

Posted by: ukcal ()
Date: November 18, 2022 20:57

Didn't the Ronnie Sun newspaper quote say working with world class musicans?

Then that rollingstones.com tweet or whatever it was asking about fav artists we wouild like to see perform with the stones, then Bono pops up in October in the studio followed by Macca. Some up and comming Jaz player also tweeted way back that he was hanging with Keith in the Studio?, as did Cheryl Crow

Are we being primed for a duets album or similar?, gota be a double cd then!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 18, 2022 21:47

ukcal
Didn't the Ronnie Sun newspaper quote say working with world class musicans?

I thought I read he said, "I'd give the world to record with working class muscians".

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: November 19, 2022 01:13

Paul guesting on a Stones album would be incredible!!!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 19, 2022 02:10

They're too proud to let Paul play bass on their new album. They protect Darryl. They gave Bill two songs in 2012 he had little (HTW) and IORR (he didn't play at all on) to do with. Maybe they'd let him do one song, if he'd allow it. At this point I'd love to have the Stones use some good guests. Eric was wonderful on Blue and Lonesome.

Posted by: ElectricBoogaloo ()
Date: November 19, 2022 07:26

I wonder if there will be any songs that Charlie recorded for this. Was Charlie part of any recording sessions before he passed? I wonder if they will include Living In A Ghost Town, but that might be left as a single if the rest of the album's drums are recorded by Steve. Either way I cannot wait!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 19, 2022 11:44

ElectricBoogaloo
I wonder if there will be any songs that Charlie recorded for this. Was Charlie part of any recording sessions before he passed? I wonder if they will include Living In A Ghost Town, but that might be left as a single if the rest of the album's drums are recorded by Steve. Either way I cannot wait!

There'd been a couple of sessions along the years with Charlie with this new album in mind, so most likely there will be songs with Charlie on drums.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-11-19 11:45 by Doxa.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: November 19, 2022 12:06

Does anyone know on which page of this thread we discussed the twentysome-second snippet Mick threw us a few years back? Him playing harp in the living room. Can't we at least have this one track in full? For christmas? I am 100% sure that Charlie is on the track if that's an answer to anything

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: November 19, 2022 12:15

Nikkei

Does anyone know on which page of this thread we discussed the twentysome-second snippet Mick threw us a few years back? Him playing harp in the living room.

4-Sep-2018 - [www.Facebook.com] , [iorr.org] .

Date: November 19, 2022 12:16

24FPS
They're too proud to let Paul play bass on their new album. They protect Darryl. They gave Bill two songs in 2012 he had little (HTW) and IORR (he didn't play at all on) to do with. Maybe they'd let him do one song, if he'd allow it. At this point I'd love to have the Stones use some good guests. Eric was wonderful on Blue and Lonesome.

Proudness? That most likely Paul McCartney is not going to play bass on all the songs has as little do with proudness as that he is not going to do all the lead vocals or write all the songs on the new Rolling Stones album. An odd premise, and nothing to do with Bill Wyman.

But that said, I have always felt like a Jagger/McCartney duet would be nice to hear.

- Doxa

EDIT: I can imagine what a funny situation it would be if Macca had been invited as a guest to some Stones session, and they suddenly go 'Hi Paul, since you are here, could you just do all the bass parts for this album?' 'Wot?! You guys think that I am some bloody studio session musician? Or that my bloody artistic dream had been to play bass on a Rolling Stones recording. Fvck you. '.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2022-11-19 12:35 by Doxa.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 19, 2022 12:33

To me the strange thing is that Sir Michael is still at it at the age of 80. He quit the band in the early 80s and has since then spent more time doing celebrity socializing, mediocre solo efforts,
courting women and making bland movies than actually being in the recording studio with the band. Still he insists on touring with the Stones (or what is left of it) till he's no longer able to.
Mixed emotions?

Date: November 19, 2022 12:41

Stoneage
To me the strange thing is that Sir Michael is still at it at the age of 80. He quit the band in the early 80s and has since then spent more time doing celebrity socializing, mediocre solo efforts,
courting women and making bland movies than actually being in the recording studio with the band. Still he insists on touring with the Stones (or what is left of it) till he's no longer able to.
Mixed emotions?

Yep. I also think it is strange that people get old and change and not be like they were in their twenties and thirties. And the damn world do the same and is not like it was before, like in the 60's and 70's. How strange.

I guess it is difficult to find these days senior age rock artists that think their point of living is "being with the band in a recording studio". Probably all of them got enough of that in their past, and there is life outside the studio and out of a certain gang of people they have noticed.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-11-19 12:56 by Doxa.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 19, 2022 13:06

Doxa
Stoneage
Mixed emotions?

Yep. I also think it is strange that people get old and change and not be like they were in their twenties and thirties. And the damn world do the same and is not like it was before, like in the 60's and 70's. How strange.

I guess it is difficult to find these days senior age rock artists that think their point of living is "being with the band in a recording studio". Probably all of them got enough of that in their past, and there is life outside the studio and out of a certain gang of people they have noticed.

- Doxa

You're misinterpreting of course. The irony is that he was trying everything to repeat the success he had as a band member outside the Rolling Stones bubble but ended up on a never ending tour with the band.
They tour every year now. In the 80s and 90s, while they were still, relatively, young they toured every fourth year.

Date: November 19, 2022 15:05

Stoneage
Doxa
Stoneage
Mixed emotions?

- Doxa

You're misinterpreting of course. The irony is that he was trying everything to repeat the success he had as a band member outside the Rolling Stones bubble but ended up on a never ending tour with the band.
They tour every year now. In the 80s and 90s, while they were still, relatively, young they toured every fourth year.

Well, I guess one could interpret that as ironical, but that relies on pretty many assumptions of what actually has happened and as typical, totally ignores the change of the context along the years. Mick's pragmatism has been pretty much being able to read the change of times and being able adjust to it. I interpret that of going solo during the 80's being an example of that. He thought he could do better and adjust to the times solo than the band as a whole. The 80's were difficult times for the old 60's legends. Their music started to be really dated.

But it didn't turn out like that. Mick's solo stuff didn't charm new, young audiences nor the old Stones audiences were that impressed, as we know. But he still had another option he earlier had not thought that promising one any longer (but it was there all the time, since he never quit the band. He even couldn't, since he was still bounded by the Stones recording contract, no matter how well Jagger solo albums had done). But, it is important to remember that it was the odd context of the turbulent 80's: what Jagger of early 80's didn't know, nor anyone did, that by the end of the decade there will be a huge nostalgic turn into 'classic rock' and how huge would the touring concept to develop. The 'baby boomers' with their big wallets lifted up the whole rock culture of the past into one big Las Vegas arena show, now served in huge stadiums. It was not any longer trying to adjust the band into times, but just being 'old' themselves, as a remininscant of the times they ruled the musical world. That turned out to be a winning receipt - The Stones were the biggest and greatest living link to the mythical old times. Mick didn't need to try to change himself, but only take care of himself to do the role he had created in the past. That will do.

It looks like some people assume that Mick is not enjoying for doing what he does, or if it wasn't just for money, he would do something else. You know, isn't it boring to go and perform "Jumpin' Jack Flash" again and again? I think the reality is the opposite. As a natural born performer he loves what he is doing and people love him doing it. And c'mon, fronting the Rolling Stones and 'moving like Jagger', singing self-made, some of the greatest rock songs ever done, and to get a helluva salary of that, can't really be that bad?

- Doxa

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 2022-11-19 15:51 by Doxa.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: November 19, 2022 16:45

I guess it was a compromise, though. It was not Mick's primary wish. (Much of the following is the old thoughts you are familiar with, Doxa, but not everybody else.) Instead it was brought on him and them by the reception to the band's music. Once more I have UNDERCOVER in mind. The solo career as alternative did not function. For what audiences were there available at the time for Mick's solo career with all the separate undergrown scenes emerging during that period? And with the commercialised "overground" with MTV! It is not reflected on by many posters, you are answering one of them yourself; Mick's first solo album is so superficially mocked by many posters, not reflecting on the context, which for some time was a deep problem for the band as well, making a solo career a possible, but difficult option.

As a consequence of their later found solution for the band, the creative impetus was denied him in a large degree. But with this the performing motive was rewarded by the adulation of the crowds. Incomes as success parameter somehow substituted the wish to create. Minor trials to introduce new songs from time to time after less work than in the past led only to minor successes each time, making them, and him especially, even more dependent of stagnant setlists during concerts. People at large got what they wanted. The band had more new music in them, especially from the '80s onwards. But the band got drawn into a vicious circle from the '90 as to creation of new music

Paradoxically, in my opinion, BRIDGES TO BABYLON and A BIGGER BANG were better albums than the two preceding ones after they reformed and, before that, than the last album before their breakdown as band.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: November 19, 2022 20:10

A few minor details here. Jagger indeed didn't actually leave the band. On the other hand, he might have done so, had Primitive Cool been a success (Mick hinted at that in '87, himself, in the interview he gave to one Boudewijn Buch on Dutch tv). Because he was not bound by the then current contract with Columbia/CBS. They had a contract to deliver four albums, but were to be paid per album and if they only did one album they would simply get one fourth of the money (source: Bill Wyman, when Dirty Work came out). The way I understood it, they -as a band, but not Jagger as a solo artist- simply could have quitted then.
In the end (lucky for us!) they chose to continue and delivered another studio album, one live record and one compilation cd, which arguably makes four albums, before quickly getting rid of the label and moving to Virgin/EMI.

Date: November 19, 2022 21:24

SomeGuy
A few minor details here. Jagger indeed didn't actually leave the band. On the other hand, he might have done so, had Primitive Cool been a success (Mick hinted at that in '87, himself, in the interview he gave to one Boudewijn Buch on Dutch tv). Because he was not bound by the then current contract with Columbia/CBS. They had a contract to deliver four albums, but were to be paid per album and if they only did one album they would simply get one fourth of the money (source: Bill Wyman, when Dirty Work came out). The way I understood it, they -as a band, but not Jagger as a solo artist- simply could have quitted then.
In the end (lucky for us!) they chose to continue and delivered another studio album, one live record and one compilation cd, which arguably makes four albums, before quickly getting rid of the label and moving to Virgin/EMI.

That's interesting! I didn't know that the four-album deal had that album-by-album option. Yeah, that deal sounded like made to serve the interest of Jagger's solo career - for him easily to get rid of his Stones commitments if needed. The end was at least theoretically really near (and yeah, I recall also one interview in which Mick stated pretty clearly that the Stones are done)... PRIMITIVE COOL flopped big time, but it would be interesting to know how well it should have sold in order for him really to quit the Stones.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-11-19 21:25 by Doxa.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...576577578579580581582583584585586...LastNext
Current Page: 581 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1945
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home