Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...571572573574575576577578579580581...LastNext
Current Page: 576 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2023
Date: November 3, 2022 13:55

bitusa2012
Spud
It's still a bit over-compressed and "loud" in the mastering though.

With better judged mastering, the recording would have revealed much more light and shade with more natural dynamics. [i.e some softer bits between the loud bits grinning smiley]

A BIT over-compressed??? It’s terrible. One of the worst sounding albums of good music of all time. An absolute shame. I stand by my theory that to the band members ears, after years of playing live on stage every night, that their ears are shot, and THEY think this type of mastering sounds not only right, but great. Dreadful. I love the album but can barely play it.

You're talking about the cd or digital download, I presume?

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: November 3, 2022 13:59

DandelionPowderman
bitusa2012
Spud

With better judged mastering, the recording would have revealed much more light and shade with more natural dynamics. [i.e some softer bits between the loud bits grinning smiley]

A BIT over-compressed??? It’s terrible. One of the worst sounding albums of good music of all time. An absolute shame. I stand by my theory that to the band members ears, after years of playing live on stage every night, that their ears are shot, and THEY think this type of mastering sounds not only right, but great. Dreadful. I love the album but can barely play it.

Both the CD and Vinyl. The vinyl sounds “clipped” and the CDs distorted. Which the vinyl is as well. Horrible sounding good music. Who’d a thunk The Stones could score that quinnela?

Rod

Date: November 3, 2022 14:02

bitusa2012
DandelionPowderman
bitusa2012
Spud

Both the CD and Vinyl. The vinyl sounds “clipped” and the CDs distorted. Which the vinyl is as well. Horrible sounding good music. Who’d a thunk The Stones could score that quinnela?

There is a big difference between the cd and the vinyl, imo. The latter is far more dynamic-sounding. Is it the best-sounding Stones-album ever? No. But put on ABB, and you'll find remarkable progress smiling smiley

Posted by: deeeskannnie ()
Date: November 3, 2022 17:37

DandelionPowderman
bitusa2012
DandelionPowderman
bitusa2012
Spud

There is a big difference between the cd and the vinyl, imo. The latter is far more dynamic-sounding. Is it the best-sounding Stones-album ever? No. But put on ABB, and you'll find remarkable progress smiling smiley

What album are you guys talking about here?
This ‘revitalised’ issue appears to be from many, many pages ago;
I don’t remember it, can’t find it….

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: November 3, 2022 17:40

deeeskannnie

Blue & Lonesome - [iorr.org] .

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: November 3, 2022 20:58

24FPS
WorriedAboutYou
I will lap up every single note, chord, riff and line of this new album. Beyond excited for it, it's been way too long. I LOVE latter-day Stones and consider albums like Babylon, Bang and Voodoo amongst their very best. If this is to be their final recorded output I expect it will be an album to treasure.

I wish I was like you, easily amused...........

Well said Worried About You. I too love the latter-day Stones. Almost as much, indeed, as I love The Stones of my youth. Of course, just as has happened right here on this thread, some will criticise or dismiss our views. Good luck to them. It has been the same for almost every single Stones album in the past forty years. Interestingly I remember Exile being totally shredded when it first appeared. And Sticky Fingers was torn apart for 'having too much brass on it'

Given the criticism heaped on so much of the Stones albums from 1980 onwards, it is hardly any wonder the band have not rushed back to the studio. And, sadly, it will be the same this time round, once the novelty of having a new album wears off. Yet again it will be compared endlessly, and unfavourably, against the recordings from their epic period. That being 1968-78 or thereabouts.

But I shall certainly love it

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 3, 2022 21:00

Irix
deeeskannnie

Blue and Lonesome is fine. It might be the last great Stones album we get. It's certainly the last great, all Charlie album. (Unless they decide not to go with any SJ cuts on the new one. Which I doubt. I think they're making the point now that they've moved on into Post-Jones/Taylor/Wyman/Watts territory.)

I was looking at when this first post was made, December 2016. And we still don't have an album. I would say they're rushing it out for Christmas, (Which is why we haven't heard of any new Vault releases) but who knows. It's already November and they're not exactly speedy.

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: November 3, 2022 23:10

24FPS
Irix
deeeskannnie

Blue and Lonesome is fine. It might be the last great Stones album we get. It's certainly the last great, all Charlie album. (Unless they decide not to go with any SJ cuts on the new one. Which I doubt. I think they're making the point now that they've moved on into Post-Jones/Taylor/Wyman/Watts territory.)

I was looking at when this first post was made, December 2016. And we still don't have an album. I would say they're rushing it out for Christmas, (Which is why we haven't heard of any new Vault releases) but who knows. It's already November and they're not exactly speedy.

Very difficult to know if they will release the new album for Christmas. There is always a danger the deluge of bilge that gets released this time of year may drown it at birth. Of course dyed-in-the-wool Stones fans will buy it. But that, on its own, will not guarantee any kind of extended chart life. Chances are it will sell enough copies (or downloads or streams) in its first week to get a high chart placing. Though whether it will reach No.1 is doubtful. I think it will make the top five but not reach the top. And it will sink out of sight on week two.

I was really disappointed by the weak showing made by Tattoo You. All of one week on the chart at No.7 and then nothing. Meanwhile Hot Rocks is still knocking about on the fringes of the UK Chart and is in and out of the US Top 200 at regular intervals, where it is now closing in on a 400 week overall chart score.

Shows that the big market out there is still for the warhorses...

Date: November 3, 2022 23:30

GerardHennessy

Very difficult to know if they will release the new album for Christmas.

There's no new album for Xmas - the timeframe for that is too short. Ronnie recently said: “We are recording the new album now and we are going to LA in a few weeks to carry it on and finish it off." - [iorr.org] , [iorr.org] , [www.NME.com] . Spring or Summer 2023 is more realistic for the new album.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 3, 2022 23:43

GerardHennessy
24FPS
Irix
deeeskannnie

Very difficult to know if they will release the new album for Christmas. There is always a danger the deluge of bilge that gets released this time of year may drown it at birth. Of course dyed-in-the-wool Stones fans will buy it. But that, on its own, will not guarantee any kind of extended chart life. Chances are it will sell enough copies (or downloads or streams) in its first week to get a high chart placing. Though whether it will reach No.1 is doubtful. I think it will make the top five but not reach the top. And it will sink out of sight on week two.

I was really disappointed by the weak showing made by Tattoo You. All of one week on the chart at No.7 and then nothing. Meanwhile Hot Rocks is still knocking about on the fringes of the UK Chart and is in and out of the US Top 200 at regular intervals, where it is now closing in on a 400 week overall chart score.

Shows that the big market out there is still for the warhorses...[/quote

They didn't market it the way they did Exile...I think that's a huge part of the difference. Same with Some Girls.

At least they had some great new songs and videos with the GHS extras, not sure how that sold in comparison. It matters to have the marketing in place when flogging repackaged catalogue albums...a killer single off the 'extras' album wouldn'ta hurt either!

Date: November 4, 2022 02:59

DandelionPowderman
bitusa2012
DandelionPowderman
bitusa2012
Spud

My ears tell me different. Sorry

Rod

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 4, 2022 06:11

Doxa
Skippy, I haven't followed The Cult for decades, and my ability to judge their ups and downs is pretty limited, but I trust your word here. They have done a great job in terms of quality vs. quantity.

But the Stones too with their previous album. It was funny how short BLUE & LONESOME felt like when it was released. It was 'ouch, did it end already? Okay, I start from the beginning again'. Which I did, again and again. Funnily, as I know checked, it actually lasts over 40 minutes, a pretty normal lenght in the old days, but now like a 'mini album' ..

Anyway, I realised that I haven't had listened a brandnew album like that for ages. Not even the previous Stones albums. I still recall the first times listening especially VOODOO LOUNGE and A BIGGER BANG and after the first burst of novelty had gone, those albums started sound endless, and listening the whole thing started to be like a helluva job ('do this ever end?'). And after the last cut I felt like relieved and didn't feel like going back again at all. Since that it was just checking out some individual tracks.

As far as these recent Stones albums nowadays go, I don't listen them that often, but when I do, it is funny how many times I am surprised when I took a singular song out of its context: 'hmm, it wasn' t so indifferent at all. Actually it is pretty good'. But if I try to listen them more, even the whole album, I find myself being bored pretty quickly. But BLUE & LONESOME is different. When I listen it I almost always end up listening the whole album. It like asks listening the whole lot. The album flows so naturally, the songs are like supporting each other, and together they make a helluva musical statement. And it leaves you asking more...

- Doxa

That's the beauty of a shorter ie regular length LP - forget format - quality! VOODOO is insanely long. So is BRIDGES and so is BANG. Slimmed down they make pretty damn good albums. Thank you playlists. None of those are as interesting or diverse as EXILE or THE WALL or THE BEATLES or PHYSICAL GRAFFITI in my mind. But it's beyond that point because the original intent of those double albums was more is great and that's not the case where as in the 1960s and 70s more was interesting, they were statements, not format driven.

BLUE, though, wow, that was a nice punch in the face.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: November 4, 2022 07:16

GasLightStreet
Doxa
Skippy, I haven't followed The Cult for decades, and my ability to judge their ups and downs is pretty limited, but I trust your word here. They have done a great job in terms of quality vs. quantity.

But the Stones too with their previous album. It was funny how short BLUE & LONESOME felt like when it was released. It was 'ouch, did it end already? Okay, I start from the beginning again'. Which I did, again and again. Funnily, as I know checked, it actually lasts over 40 minutes, a pretty normal lenght in the old days, but now like a 'mini album' ..

Anyway, I realised that I haven't had listened a brandnew album like that for ages. Not even the previous Stones albums. I still recall the first times listening especially VOODOO LOUNGE and A BIGGER BANG and after the first burst of novelty had gone, those albums started sound endless, and listening the whole thing started to be like a helluva job ('do this ever end?'). And after the last cut I felt like relieved and didn't feel like going back again at all. Since that it was just checking out some individual tracks.

As far as these recent Stones albums nowadays go, I don't listen them that often, but when I do, it is funny how many times I am surprised when I took a singular song out of its context: 'hmm, it wasn' t so indifferent at all. Actually it is pretty good'. But if I try to listen them more, even the whole album, I find myself being bored pretty quickly. But BLUE & LONESOME is different. When I listen it I almost always end up listening the whole album. It like asks listening the whole lot. The album flows so naturally, the songs are like supporting each other, and together they make a helluva musical statement. And it leaves you asking more...

- Doxa

That's the beauty of a shorter ie regular length LP - forget format - quality! VOODOO is insanely long. So is BRIDGES and so is BANG. Slimmed down they make pretty damn good albums. Thank you playlists. None of those are as interesting or diverse as EXILE or THE WALL or THE BEATLES or PHYSICAL GRAFFITI in my mind. But it's beyond that point because the original intent of those double albums was more is great and that's not the case where as in the 1960s and 70s more was interesting, they were statements, not format driven.

However, we all know that there is no agreement about which songs could be left out in such a hypothetical case. And how much well-informed you are, GasLightStreet, I for one would not in any way have wanted you to make that choice. I am pretty certain that you would not have had me do that either, if you were made aware of my taste within Stones-related music.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 4, 2022 07:25

Witness
GasLightStreet
Doxa

- Doxa

However, we all know that there is no agreement about which songs could be left out in such a hypothetical case. And how much well-informed you are, GasLightStreet, I for one would not in any way have wanted you to make that choice. I am pretty certain that you would not have had me do that either, if you were made aware of my taste within Stones-related music.

And I don't trust either of you, (ok that's a bit harsh) but instead would put my trust in the band in coming up with a great outcome by putting more effort into editing. They did it in the past, and stopped doing so because they didn't need to because of CD's longer potential format.

Sure we can create our own playlists, but in that case, don't even release an album, just a mass of songs/singles. An album is an artistic statement so let THEM do it.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: November 4, 2022 13:52

bitusa2012
Spud

grinning smiley I was being polite ! But I think Rip This was referring mostly to the performance and mix .

There was nothing wrong with those . B&L was recorded and mixed [for the most part]like a "dirty, down home" Blues album....

... but much of the potential beauty of this was lost [as usual] in today's typical and hopelessly misguided mastering ethos.

Date: November 5, 2022 07:07

Anyone know who “Some Guy” is on RocksOff? Has over 15000 posts, so no fly by nighter, and is saying the album is finished. The first single will be “It’s Over”, with scowling vocals and a fierce riff.

I want to believe, but it sounds a bit too soon for THAT sort of definitive info, no? Also “It’s Over” sounds a bit too obvious a play on words, given their ages.

Rod

Date: November 5, 2022 10:45

bitusa2012

Anyone know who “Some Guy” is on RocksOff? Has over 15000 posts, so no fly by nighter

But maybe a daydreamer: he predicted also a new Single for 14-Oct-2022 - [iorr.org] .

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: November 5, 2022 12:50

bitusa2012
Anyone know who “Some Guy” is on RocksOff?

Not to be taken seriously.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: November 5, 2022 13:12

Are they currently in L.A. mixing the new album tracks?!Any rumours about it?!

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: November 5, 2022 13:25

“ Some Guy” from Rocks Off is just a fan with no insider information. About a month ago he reported a single would be released and I think another lyric video appeared on YouTube

Date: November 5, 2022 13:43

Bugga. I remember that. I bit on that too! Sorry guys

Rod

Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: November 5, 2022 15:08

bitusa2012
Bugga. I remember that. I bit on that too! Sorry guys

No need to apologize, bitusa2012, you did nothing wrong by being curious and bringing to light a possible piece of news. It's just a shame that the rumour wasn't legit.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: November 5, 2022 17:32

We still don’t know anything. Recording or overdubbing or have they proceeded to mixing??? Wasn’t MJ in Mexico City with Jade this week?

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: November 5, 2022 17:57

Irix
bitusa2012

Anyone know who “Some Guy” is on RocksOff? Has over 15000 posts, so no fly by nighter

But maybe a daydreamer: he predicted also a new Single for 14-Oct-2022 - [iorr.org] .

Just for the record, it must be some other guy than me.

I never check RocksOff by the way. Is it any good?

Date: November 5, 2022 18:30

Bashlets

Recording or overdubbing or have they proceeded to mixing???

Ronnie said mid-October 2022: "We are going to LA in a few weeks to carry it on and finish it off" .... sounds rather like a recording-session in December.

Date: November 5, 2022 23:32

Irix
Bashlets

Recording or overdubbing or have they proceeded to mixing???

Ronnie said mid-October 2022: "We are going to LA in a few weeks to carry it on and finish it off" .... sounds rather like a recording-session in December.

I saw some instagram stories and pics from Sally. Ronnie spent Halloween with his family in LA. rogerriffin mentioned on Rocks off forum Español that Mick was planning to leave Mexico City yesterday [rocksoff.org], i guess that probably to LA. So i guess they'll keep working to finish the new album next week too. We'll see

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2022-11-08 22:01 by DiegoGlimmerStones.

Date: November 6, 2022 00:30

DiegoGlimmerStones

We'll see

Yep. I could imagine that "carry it on and finish it off" takes 4 weeks, for instance mid-November until mid-December.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 6, 2022 01:19

DiegoGlimmerStones
Don Was will play the last show of the wolf bros fall tour tonight in Denver so i guess he will later join them and they'll keep working to finish the new album next week too. We'll see

It appears Don Was will continue to tour as part of 'The Last Waltz Tour 2022', through December 4. > Don Was.

Date: November 6, 2022 01:42

Hairball
DiegoGlimmerStones
Don Was will play the last show of the wolf bros fall tour tonight in Denver so i guess he will later join them and they'll keep working to finish the new album next week too. We'll see

It appears Don Was will continue to tour as part of 'The Last Waltz Tour 2022', through December 4. > Don Was.

Thanks for the info. I really think that only our boys would be finishing it in LA then. Hopefully the new album will be finished soon thumbs up

Date: November 6, 2022 01:44

Irix
DiegoGlimmerStones

We'll see

Yep. I could imagine that "carry it on and finish it off" takes 4 weeks, for instance mid-November until mid-December.

Yeah, hopefully we'll hear more news about the album soon

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...571572573574575576577578579580581...LastNext
Current Page: 576 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1764
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home