Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...562563564565566567568569570571572...LastNext
Current Page: 567 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2023
Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: October 25, 2022 20:17

snoopy2
Rockman
....and release the single on 78 rpm ......

That'd really spin the crowd ........

My Moby Grape WOW album the last track on side A has to be played at 78.. No longer can play it cuz new turntable won’t, but it got me thinking: how difficult was it to press all those copies? Did they have to change something in the machinery after the first 4 songs and repress?

Not difficult at all because everything's already in the mastertape for the album. That means that the particular song is slowed down on the mastertape so when you play the song at 78 RPM, it can be heard at the right speed.

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: October 25, 2022 21:05

retired_dog
snoopy2
Rockman
....and release the single on 78 rpm ......

That'd really spin the crowd ........

My Moby Grape WOW album the last track on side A has to be played at 78.. No longer can play it cuz new turntable won’t, but it got me thinking: how difficult was it to press all those copies? Did they have to change something in the machinery after the first 4 songs and repress?

Not difficult at all because everything's already in the mastertape for the album. That means that the particular song is slowed down on the mastertape so when you play the song at 78 RPM, it can be heard at the right speed.

Thanks !

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: October 25, 2022 22:34

Spud
ProfessorWolf

no i agree with you modern vinyl release are basically cd's on vinyl

minus the brickwalling

that's why i pointed out that i enjoy collecting pre-digital mastering original vinyl releases instead of modern reissues except when it comes to things like tattoo you deluxe or goats head soup deluxe and likely the new stones album to get around the brickwalling (and because they look cool)

and my current setup uses a adc point 4 cartridge from 1964 (alternating with empire 880p 1961-62?, 888ve 1968? audio tecnica at-6 1963?) not a hi end cart but it makes tattoo you sound very nice to my ears compared to the cd thru headphones at high volume

but compared to the cd tons of detail are clearly missing (but who cares if it hurts to listen at length to the music at reasonable volume)

bur if i had something like this (with equal quality table, arm, receiver and speakers) i'd probably hear the missing detail plus some but likely not more then the cd since they are basically the same thing

but i wouldn't know maybe someone on here who has owned absurdly expensive hi end audio equipment can answer if it sounds better then cd (that is not modern vinyl but good condition vintage records) or if modern release that are digitally mastered sound as good or better

I think I might be able throw a little light on that for you Prof .

I do use high end vinyl playback equipment [not because I'm rich but because I used to work in the Hi Fi trade and because it means a lot to me grinning smiley]

You can't really generalise about the quality of new vinyl releases but it's not fair to describe most as just a CD on vinyl".

Equally, it's not correct to say that vinyl releases aren't "brick walled" .

Many effectively are ... either because the digital master they're cut from is already compressed to hell or because the vinyl mastering engineer is just as misguided and aims only to cut the record as loud as he can to sound impressive on shoddy turntables !

But not all is doom and gloom [not the song] .

Modern flat Digital master recordings are very good and if mastered to vinyl with skill and care can make for good sounding LPs ...far better sounding than the equivalent CD .

The Abbey Road 1971 to 2016 boxed set is testament to that.

No, they're not as good as the original analogue pressings but they sound, far the most part, far better than most modern releases.

This because they're cut from the best available flat digital files, with minimal dynamic compression and by someone who knows what he's doing.

thank you that was very informative

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: October 26, 2022 02:25

KRiffhard
Bashlets
Any sightings in LA yet?

I was thinking the same thing! smiling bouncing smiley

Isn't this too early? Not in a few weeks only?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 26, 2022 05:17

Any sightings in LA yet?

....undercover of the night

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: October 26, 2022 06:23

No Keith in sight, no Mick in sight, that says more than anything else. winking smiley

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: October 26, 2022 12:07

Don't hold your breath ... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: October 26, 2022 14:42

too much hype...they are having 2nd thoughts?....fired Ronnie for revealing their plans?...Keith decided he really hates Mick's tunes. Asking for a friend....oh and happy hump day everyone.....

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 26, 2022 15:37

VoodooLounge13
So I guess my question is, do half-speed masters sound better than regular modern versions of the same record, ie are they closer to sounding like the originals?

All other things being the same, and certainly from a digital source...they should.

But of much more importance is the quality of the source tapes/files, together with the skills and decision making of the mastering engineer.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: October 26, 2022 15:59

Spud
VoodooLounge13
So I guess my question is, do half-speed masters sound better than regular modern versions of the same record, ie are they closer to sounding like the originals?

All other things being the same, and certainly from a digital source...they should.

But of much more importance is the quality of the source tapes/files, together with the skills and decision making of the mastering engineer.

Got it. Thanks Spud!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 26, 2022 16:15

Rockman
Any sightings in LA yet?

It's probably been 'too tough'.

Date: October 27, 2022 04:49

Y’know I really just have 4 wishes for this album….

1. No auto tune; just an old fashioned warm studio texture
2. No Mick over-enunciating
3. No cheesy Mick lyrics (sitting in the dirt, feeling kind of hurt; awful bright, awful truth, awful bad)
4. That no matter its quality we all just be happy that we have a new Stones album to listen to without bitching about this or that track! Because for a long time most of us didn’t think it was going to happen!!!!

And yes, I do realize #4 pretty much cancels out 1-3!! LOL What’s a poor boy to do!?!?!?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-27 04:54 by VoodooLounge13.

Date: October 27, 2022 04:50

treaclefingers
Rockman
Any sightings in LA yet?

It's probably been 'too tough'.

after the new york sessions they probably feel "pretty beat up"

man it "must be hell" making a new album

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 27, 2022 04:54

VoodooLounge13
Y’know I really just have 4 wishes for this album….

1. No auto tune

Mick has never used auto-tune.

Date: October 27, 2022 04:54

There’s no auto-tune on B&L???

Date: October 27, 2022 04:56

I always thought that echoing effect on his vocals was auto-tune!!!! It’s part of what keeps me from enjoying the album.

Date: October 27, 2022 04:59

VoodooLounge13
There’s no auto-tune on B&L???

Correct.

Date: October 27, 2022 05:00

VoodooLounge13
I always thought that echoing effect on his vocals was auto-tune!!!! It’s part of what keeps me from enjoying the album.

I'm not sure why you would think an echoing effect is auto-tune. They have zero to do with each other.

Date: October 27, 2022 05:01

No matter - Mick has never used auto-tune.

Date: October 27, 2022 05:09

Well because to me that’s what it sounds like.

Date: October 27, 2022 05:17

If indeed he hasn’t I stand corrected. Whatever the effect was I hope it doesn’t return for the new album.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 27, 2022 05:17

Hope Keith sings lead on a song (or two) on the new album.
One of the reasons the Blue and Lonesome covers album suffered was because there were no vocals from Keith - not even backup vocals.

Date: October 27, 2022 05:28

Hairball
One of the reasons the Blue and Lonesome covers album suffered was because there were no vocals from Keith - not even backup vocals.

oh wow i didn't even consider the possibility of keith not getting his two songs

that would be a real bummer for me if the new album lacks at least two keith numbers

Date: October 27, 2022 05:43

Well if it’s a shorter album, time-wise, I’d be ok with just one Keef song like in the old days.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: October 27, 2022 05:52

Hairball

You can add Blues In The Morning and Still A Fool (with Hubert Sumlin) to the playlist. And there once was his rehearsal take of Little Red Rooster on YouTube and maybe still is.

Date: October 27, 2022 06:06

retired_dog
Hairball

You can add Blues In The Morning and Still A Fool (with Hubert Sumlin) to the playlist. And there once was his rehearsal take of Little Red Rooster on YouTube and maybe still is.

still there

Date: October 27, 2022 06:33

ProfessorWolf
Hairball

oh wow i didn't even consider the possibility of keith not getting his two songs

that would be a real bummer for me if the new album lacks at least two keith numbers

Yes it would be a bummer for most Stones fans.
Hoping for at least one...

Date: October 27, 2022 06:43

Hairball
ProfessorWolf
Hairball

and more than that it would mean one less new song from the album in the set since i assume keith would do at least one of the two each night in his set

Date: October 27, 2022 06:50

ProfessorWolf
Hairball
ProfessorWolf
Hairball

and more than that it would mean one less new song from the album in the set since i assume keith would do at least one of the two each night in his set

Keith's set is part of the overall set in general, and a new Stones song with Keith on lead vocals is still a Stones song, so not sure how it would be one less song from the album...

Date: October 27, 2022 07:09

Hairball
ProfessorWolf
Hairball
ProfessorWolf
Hairball

Keith's set is part of the overall set in general, and a new Stones song with Keith on lead vocals is still a Stones song, so not sure how it would be one less song from the album...

because in a mostly warhorse laden 19 song set there's little room to squeeze in the new songs off the album

so maybe two new songs in the first half and then one of keith's new songs in his set (of which i would assume he gets to pick what he plays and not mick) and if there is no keith songs on the new album then he'll just play happy and btmr or something like that and we'll just have those two new songs off the album instead of three

because we know there not gonna drop any warhorses that's for sure

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...562563564565566567568569570571572...LastNext
Current Page: 567 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1742
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home