Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...552553554555556557558559560561562...LastNext
Current Page: 557 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2022?
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 13, 2022 05:02

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-13 12:54 by Rockman.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 13, 2022 06:18

My problem with A BIGGER BANG was that it didn't feel complete until I added three more tracks. All my Stones albums incorporate B-sides. That said, I would have started the album off with Rain Fall Down and then swung right into Dangerous Beauty. I did think the running order was off considerably.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 13, 2022 06:22

Rocky Dijon
My problem with A BIGGER BANG was that it didn't feel complete until I added three more tracks. All my Stones albums incorporate B-sides. That said, I would have started the album off with Rain Fall Down and then swung right into Dangerous Beauty. I did think the running order was off considerably.

Great one two punch. Dangerous Beauty I think is my favourite track on the album.

Delete a few more, Sweet Neocon (I liked the sentiment but the song not so much), Infamy, a couple more near the end which were sort of unlistenable and I can't even remember their names, and add Under The Radar.

This had the potential to be much better with just a bit of tweaking.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: October 13, 2022 06:24

They do have some great B-Sides, and I think a lot of it is because they're just loose, playing without the tension, Oh, this has gotta be great, because to them it's just a throw-away track. All those Blues B-Sides from Steel Wheels, I love em all!! Man, they would have made the foundation for a great organic blues album!!! I think they try too hard sometimes and get in their own heads at times. It can be simple and magnificent.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 13, 2022 07:02

Big Al
Putting the, somewhat, concise Blue & Lonesome to one side, the last few Stones albums were released during the height of the CD-age, whereby, seemingly, every act was hellbent on filling the format to the brim with music. During the 90’s, it was far from uncommon to get albums with running-times of 50+ minutes. Many now, in retrospect, view this as a little excessive. After all, these would have the have been double-LP’s during the vinyl-age. Voodoo Lounge, Bridges to Babylon and A Bigger Bang are all lengthy releases. What I’m getting at is this: do you think they’ll feel an urge to douse us with a lengthy, 90’s reminiscent record, or will we get a trimmed-down, more of a classic-length album. Say, 10-12 tracks, with a 40–45-minute running-time. What would you prefer?

The Cult just released an 8 track 35 minute LP that was focused on quality.

It's amazing.

So... more SOME GIRLS than VOODOO LOUNGE.

A BIGGER BANG could've been so much better just by eliminating Streets Of Love, Oh No Not You Again, Sweet Neo Con and Infamy.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 13, 2022 12:53

GasLightStreet
Big Al
Putting the, somewhat, concise Blue & Lonesome to one side, the last few Stones albums were released during the height of the CD-age, whereby, seemingly, every act was hellbent on filling the format to the brim with music. During the 90’s, it was far from uncommon to get albums with running-times of 50+ minutes. Many now, in retrospect, view this as a little excessive. After all, these would have the have been double-LP’s during the vinyl-age. Voodoo Lounge, Bridges to Babylon and A Bigger Bang are all lengthy releases. What I’m getting at is this: do you think they’ll feel an urge to douse us with a lengthy, 90’s reminiscent record, or will we get a trimmed-down, more of a classic-length album. Say, 10-12 tracks, with a 40–45-minute running-time. What would you prefer?

It's amazing.

A BIGGER BANG could've been so much better just by eliminating Streets Of Love, Oh No Not You Again, Sweet Neo Con and Infamy.

...and This place is empty, Let me down slow, Driving Too Fast, Dangerous Beauty, Look What the cat dragged in...
What a poor album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-13 12:53 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 13, 2022 14:10

VoodooLounge13
They do have some great B-Sides, and I think a lot of it is because they're just loose, playing without the tension, Oh, this has gotta be great, because to them it's just a throw-away track. All those Blues B-Sides from Steel Wheels, I love em all!! Man, they would have made the foundation for a great organic blues album!!! I think they try too hard sometimes and get in their own heads at times. It can be simple and magnificent.

thumbs up There's certainly some truth in that .

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: October 13, 2022 15:04

KRiffhard
GasLightStreet
Big Al

It's amazing.

...and This place is empty, Let me down slow, Driving Too Fast, Dangerous Beauty, Look What the cat dragged in...
What a poor album.
Oh no not you again is my favorite track of the album. When they played it at juillard it blew me away. Great track.

Date: October 13, 2022 15:56

It's a better album than most give it credit for...but it's let down by the clumsy "brick wall" mastering .

Date: October 13, 2022 16:00

Spud
It's a better album than most give it credit for...but it's let down by the clumsy "brick wall" mastering .

Agreed!!!

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: October 13, 2022 16:26

Spud

It's the one and only Stones album that I literally never put on. Not helped by the mastering for sure but (imo of course) the songs are just not up to par. I liked Rough Justice when it was released but I can happily live without it now.

Really hope that they can deliver something at least half decent for what I'm guessing would be their last studio album (of originals anyway - would love to hear a follow up to Blue and Lonesome)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-13 16:28 by Roll73.

Date: October 13, 2022 16:29

The re-issue in the Abbey Road half speed mastered box is much less "in yer face" and is a far more enjoyable listen as a result.

Date: October 13, 2022 16:37

Roll73
Spud

It's the one and only Stones album that I literally never put on. Not helped by the mastering for sure but (imo of course) the songs are just not up to par. I liked Rough Justice when it was released but I can happily live without it now.

Really hope that they can deliver something at least half decent for what I'm guessing would be their last studio album (of originals anyway - would love to hear a follow up to Blue and Lonesome)

We'll have to disagree over ABB then...but I certainly agree that a Blue & Lonsome follow up would be welcome ..

I would also love to hear an album of covers across the various genres they've trawled down the years. They typically do Soul and Country just as well as they do the Blues .

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: October 13, 2022 19:57

Regarding ABB I could do without She Saw Me Coming, Dangerous Beauty, Look What The Cat Dragged In, Driving Too Fast and Infamy. Thus, the album that would remain is about 47 minutes long, but there's Under The Radar and Don't Wanna Go Home too.

Blue & Lonesome Pt II would be nice, but still, a covers album wouldn't be a proper, new album, although the same could be argued to a certain extent about the first three albums, which are among my favourites anyway.

Regardless, I would gladly have a new Stones record, even if it would only have about twenty five minutes worth of enjoyable songs (although personally I sincerely hope that the Bridges To Babylon experience won't be repeated).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-13 20:00 by SomeGuy.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 13, 2022 20:35

It is a good sign that the optimism starts to prevail here, and we have some kind of wishes how the new album should ideally be like.

Here is mine.

Dear Santa Claus, please let the upcoming Stones album to act to its three previous albums like UK AFTERMATH does to its three previous UK albums, and like BEGGARS BANQUET does to its three previous albums, and SOME GIRLS does to its three previous albums.

I know it is much asked, but it's been 17 years since the last studio album of originals, so they can't be the same band any longer as they were from 1989 to 2005, right?

We have a deal, old man? I'll be a good boy.

And don't say I already got that album in BLUE & LONESOME.. (I love it, but it doesn't count here).

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-13 20:39 by Doxa.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: October 13, 2022 21:18

Haha, I'm with Doxa here. Fingers crossed!!!

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 13, 2022 23:28

SomeGuy
Regarding ABB I could do without She Saw Me Coming, Dangerous Beauty, Look What The Cat Dragged In, Driving Too Fast and Infamy. Thus, the album that would remain is about 47 minutes long, but there's Under The Radar and Don't Wanna Go Home too.

Blue & Lonesome Pt II would be nice, but still, a covers album wouldn't be a proper, new album, although the same could be argued to a certain extent about the first three albums, which are among my favourites anyway.

Regardless, I would gladly have a new record, even if it would only have about twenty five minutes worth of enjoyable songs (although personally I sincerely hope that the Bridges To Babylon experience won't be repeated).

The difference between Blue & Lonesome and those early albums, is that their 2016 release has a concept: blues-covers. Those first few releases are products of the their time, in the sense that artists didn’t, generally, compose their own music. That’s just the way it was pre Lennon-McCartney and Brian Wilson. None of those early-to-mid 60’s release were marketed as homages or ‘covers’ albums.

Date: October 14, 2022 02:12

So there’s been no news all week of the band in NYC this week. I can’t believe that an album’s worth of tracks - even just touch-ups or added bits - could be done in a single week’s time. Could it??

Date: October 14, 2022 02:15

Maybe they were just cutting a new Rice Krispies commercial

ROCKMAN

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: October 14, 2022 02:32

Rockman

SPOILER ALERT!!!

Date: October 14, 2022 02:54

Rockman

Rockie, damn you... grinning smiley

But you there down under, isn't hard to eat them, those damn krispies, your heads upside down, or something...?

- Doxa

Date: October 14, 2022 02:58

Yeah we's up-side down .....

Great coming from say Darwin to Melbourne ....
All down hill just chuck ya rig inta neutral and let her roll ....

ROCKMAN

Date: October 14, 2022 03:18

VoodooLounge13
So there’s been no news all week of the band in NYC this week. I can’t believe that an album’s worth of tracks - even just touch-ups or added bits - could be done in a single week’s time. Could it??

Just saw a post of Ronnie at the JFK this sunday [www.instagram.com] apparently Ronnie is back in England, he's promoting his new paintings and he will be a guest at BBC The One Show tomorrow night [iorr.org]. Hopefully he will give us an update about the album soon

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: October 14, 2022 03:24

VoodooLounge13

Ronnie's back home in England. He was interviewed by the BBC's Matthew Allwright today at Kenwood House in London. (Thanks, Lien)

[www.instagram.com]

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 14, 2022 07:12

It's interesting, as a fan, that there are different ideas etc of how A BIGGER BANG could've been better regarding the LP itself... and then the two extra tracks, which aren't great but are better than other tracks on the albu.

They've done so many blues songs, covers and originals, over the years at sessions - there are probably 5 albums' worth of blues that they've done that could be released as is.

BLUE AND LONESOME provided a hint that they're still here, as pointless and important as that LP is to people.

Date: October 14, 2022 07:29

I liked it enough when it came out. Listened to it for 6 months straight!!! No breaks nothing else. 8 years between albums was an eternity. I was starving for new songs!!! I was only following along with the chop the recent releases down to 45-ish minutes. That’s the only one I can trim down. Voodoo I’d just drop Mean Disposition and go back to Thru & Thru as the closer. And Bridges swap AYLAI for Juiced and there ya have it.

Date: October 14, 2022 07:48

VoodooLounge13
I liked it enough when it came out. Listened to it for 6 months straight!!! No breaks nothing else. 8 years between albums was an eternity. I was starving for new songs!!! I was only following along with the chop the recent releases down to 45-ish minutes. That’s the only one I can trim down. Voodoo I’d just drop Mean Disposition and go back to Thru & Thru as the closer. And Bridges swap AYLAI for Juiced and there ya have it.

Good for you!

But me.. Oh shit. I listened it probably a couple of times, and that was it. I gave up. Get totally tired of it. As an album it was too much to swallow.. too long, no flow, nothing to stand out. After that I did like the most people of that and this era, picked up a song from here and there and wondered if it is good or not. Some were, some not.

But what the hell is that craziness for those two extra songs here? Those Japanese bonuses or what the hell they were? Like the bloody album wasn't long enough. Total throwaways. If that's the standard, the Stones have no worry to please their diehard fans.

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-14 08:13 by Doxa.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: October 14, 2022 09:05

VoodooLounge13

you know they left mean disposition off the original vinyl and cassette

i have both and i guess i agree with you but not because i dislike the song but because i think thru and thru is a much better closer for the album

it's seems to me that was supposed to be the closing song but they decided to add mean disposition for some reason

to help sell the cd?

does anyone know the story as to why it was included?

spinning smiley sticking its tongue outRe: New Stones album for 2022?
Date: October 14, 2022 18:04

My prediction is that this thread will hit 666 pages and THEN we'll get a new album, the album to end all Stones albums .... so the faster we get there the better... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Re: spinning smiley sticking its tongue outRe: New Stones album for 2022?
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 14, 2022 18:24

MadMetaphoricalMax
My prediction is that this thread will hit 666 pages and THEN we'll get a new album, the album to end all Stones albums .... so the faster we get there the better... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Sounds like the end of days.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...552553554555556557558559560561562...LastNext
Current Page: 557 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1573
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home