Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...542543544545546547548549550551552...LastNext
Current Page: 547 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2022?
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 16, 2022 00:07

exhpart
I truly believe and hope there WILL be one final album. And Black and Blue only had 8 tracks. I think they are listening and listening, refining and refining and will give us one last big hurrah. I only hope they listen to their gut (and here I guess we are simply talking Mick and Keith) and when it's done - don't over-refine it! Put it out!

The recipe for a decent new album.

A classy tune ala Living in a Ghost Town, + a couple of Keith tunes ala Trouble and Robbed Blind from Crosseyed Heart, + a couple of blues covers ala Ride 'em on Down and Just Your Fool from Blue and Lonesome,
+ a couple of old tunes resurrected/revived ala Criss Cross and Fiji Jim... If they need to add some filler, prolific Mick probably has plenty of tunes to fill the void.

Substitute the ingredients, and voila...a brand new album. It's not really brain surgery, but at the slow rate they're going it seems that way.
Probably shouldn't hope or expect an album anytime soon ("don't hold your breath"), but chances for another single or two might be a possibility over the next few years.
Meanwhile, practically every other established artist will continue to write, record, and release new music - from Dylan to The Who to Willie Nelson to Macca to Neil Young to Springsteen, etc., etc., etc...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-09-16 00:08 by Hairball.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: September 16, 2022 00:42

StonedRambler
Hairball
They're waiting for it to become "great" before they release it...lol...eye rolling smiley...we could be here for many more years wondering and waiting for that to happen - as Mick said last year "don't hold your breath".
Why waiting? They been in the studio just before this tour.
For me the strategy here is clear. Creating a whole bunch of material at each of those sessions and in the end then they will chose the best ones. I don't think they're as clueless as some of you pretend them to be.
An none of this material they have recorded will go away.

It may be the case.

But I wonder about the character of the already recorded stuff. Are those finished versions of songs or more or less half-finished? If the latter, when they are having new recording sessions, do they go back to work on those half-finished songs from earlier sessions, or are they each time entering on new song ideas to be able to keep up the good spirit and the harmony among them? I don't know the answers, but I wonder about this.

And the songs that Charlie was participating on, will they be able to use those songs, as they are, or do they need further work? If the songs need that, will they be able to finalize them, without Charlie taking part now?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 16, 2022 01:27

Meanwhile, practically every other established artist will continue to write, record, and release new music - from Dylan to The Who to Willie Nelson to Macca to Neil Young to Springsteen,

Yeah .... well whats ya fave track from each of those releases ???

ROCKMAN

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: September 16, 2022 01:56

"my own version of you" and "goodbye jimmy reed" are my favorites off rough and rowdy ways

the others i couldn't tell ya yet

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 16, 2022 05:00

Hairball
exhpart
I truly believe and hope there WILL be one final album. And Black and Blue only had 8 tracks. I think they are listening and listening, refining and refining and will give us one last big hurrah. I only hope they listen to their gut (and here I guess we are simply talking Mick and Keith) and when it's done - don't over-refine it! Put it out!

A classy tune ala Living in a Ghost Town, + a couple of Keith tunes ala Trouble and Robbed Blind from Crosseyed Heart, + a couple of blues covers ala Ride 'em on Down and Just Your Fool from Blue and Lonesome,
+ a couple of old tunes resurrected/revived ala Criss Cross and Fiji Jim... If they need to add some filler, prolific Mick probably has plenty of tunes to fill the void.

Substitute the ingredients, and voila...a brand new album. It's not really brain surgery, but at the slow rate they're going it seems that way.
Probably shouldn't hope or expect an album anytime soon ("don't hold your breath"), but chances for another single or two might be a possibility over the next few years.
Meanwhile, practically every other established artist will continue to write, record, and release new music - from Dylan to The Who to Willie Nelson to Macca to Neil Young to Springsteen, etc., etc., etc...

For one thing, as we've been told... Mick has X.

His X is way more busy than Keith's X.

Yet only one song has come out from the 2015 onward new LP sessions.

That's all we know.

They've focused on the past, heavily, as usual, for their tours. And! Played Living In A Ghost Town!

If the new material is going to be as Mick described, great, then the fact that they've played whatever from the previous 3 LPs on their tours says... what, exactly?

For VOODOO and BRIDGES they increased the new songs as the tours went along.

For BANG they decreased, even to the point of nothing new or even recent, as I recall.

A new single for another hits comp prior to recording a new LP... that was fun.
That was also 10 years ago. They haven't played it since 2011.

A stand alone single? That was excellent. They've kept that one going.

No new Stones album for 2022. Probably not for 2023. After that... nothing as well.

BLUE AND LONSEOME will be the last Rolling Stones album it seems.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: September 16, 2022 13:32

I suspect that the issue now is that, whilst they probably have enough almost finished stuff in the can , they've kind of lost perspective on it , don't know whether its good or bad... and have [for the present at least] bottled it.

Date: September 16, 2022 15:19

Spud
I suspect that the issue now is that, whilst they probably have enough almost finished stuff in the can , they've kind of lost perspective on it , don't know whether its good or bad... and have [for the present at least] bottled it.

well then bring in someone they trust with a good ear and sort thru it already

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: September 16, 2022 15:45

Yep,

That, I suspect is, what's been needed for a while.

[Though Mick's idea of "someone with the right ears" might not be Keith's idea of the same grinning smiley ]

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 20, 2022 01:39

Hard to see who could be up to the task...Don W. clearly isn't, Glyn J. maybe? He's never been afraid to tell them how it is!

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: September 20, 2022 03:11

gotdablouse
Hard to see who could be up to the task...Don W. clearly isn't, Glyn J. maybe? He's never been afraid to tell them how it is!

The answer might be right under their noses...someone who has shared many hours, days, months, and years with at least one of them, and has now become an essential part of the entire "family" in the last year.
Someone who has dozens of live performances with the band while traveling to multiple cities and countries with them...someone with great credentials as a musician, and tremendous experience as a producer....

Drum roll please...............

Steve Jordan

Date: September 20, 2022 04:38

maybe steve or glyn

or perhaps mick and keith each bring in someone they trust and see if they can come to some kind of agreement on the material they have

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 20, 2022 05:13

Rockman
Meanwhile, practically every other established artist will continue to write, record, and release new music - from Dylan to The Who to Willie Nelson to Macca to Neil Young to Springsteen,

Yeah .... well whats ya fave track from each of those releases ???

Love most of the Dylan album. A great comeback, but he didn't go anywhere. Willie puts out so many albums I lose track of what's the newest. The Only Man Wilder Than Me with Merle Haggard is good. The Stones can still pull it together for the odd single.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: September 20, 2022 05:23

GasLightStreet
Hairball
exhpart

That's all we know.

They've focused on the past, heavily, as usual, for their tours. And! Played Living In A Ghost Town!

If the new material is going to be as Mick described, great, then the fact that they've played whatever from the previous 3 LPs on their tours says... what, exactly?

For BANG they decreased, even to the point of nothing new or even recent, as I recall.

No new Stones album for 2022. Probably not for 2023. After that... nothing as well. Oh

They played about 4 or 5 new songs during Bigger Bang . There was no point during that tour they didn’t play anything new as you said. They always did new tunes

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 20, 2022 07:33

More Hot Rocks
GasLightStreet
Hairball
exhpart

That's all we know.

No new Stones album for 2022. Probably not for 2023. After that... nothing as well. Oh

They played about 4 or 5 new songs during Bigger Bang . There was no point during that tour they didn’t play anything new as you said. They always did new tunes

Off the top of my head :-

Rough Justice
Streets of Love
Rain Fall Down
Back of My Hand
Oh No, Not You Again
It Won’t Take Long
Infamy
This Place Is Empty

Looks like the album got a good airing, though in reality, only Rough Justice and Street of Love were mainstays. Back of My Hand was dropped, and It Won’t Take Long was performed just twice, I believe. Rain Fall Down was a semi-regular, whilst Keith ditched Infamy for This Place Is Empty.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: September 20, 2022 12:10

ProfessorWolf
maybe steve or glyn

or perhaps mick and keith each bring in someone they trust and see if they can come to some kind of agreement on the material they have

I think you and a few others here discuss problems that the Stones themselves actually don't have - there is no writer's block, lack of material, lack of trust in whoever the producer is, no Mick vs. Keith fight over the musical direction or whatever.

It's just that the new album is not the top priority for them, that is touring and the income it generates (see the thread about "Stones Sixty" being their most successful European Tour to date!). And they care a shit what other artists do - like "well, if they want to spend time and effort to release album after album that are usually forgotten within weeks after their release dates, let 'em!"

For them, there's no problem whatsoever.

However, actually they did record new material here and there since a couple of years. I think it's fair to say that with Charlie still on board, they would have finished the album in time for their 60th Anniversary. Charlie's demise - and nothing else!- is the only problem they had to complete the album, unfortunately a problem they could nothing do about.

It remains to be seen if there's any value in Chuck's recent guess that finally 2023 will be the year of release. Until then, we can continue this thread with the same old, same old blah that's been discussed a thousand times, if not more, already.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-09-20 12:14 by retired_dog.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 20, 2022 13:47

Big Al
More Hot Rocks
GasLightStreet
Hairball
exhpart

That's all we know.

Rough Justice
Streets of Love
Rain Fall Down
Back of My Hand
Oh No, Not You Again
It Won’t Take Long
Infamy
This Place Is Empty

Looks like the album got a good airing, though in reality, only Rough Justice and Street of Love were mainstays. Back of My Hand was dropped, and It Won’t Take Long was performed just twice, I believe. Rain Fall Down was a semi-regular, whilst Keith ditched Infamy for This Place Is Empty.

In two A BIGGER BANG shows I saw in Europe (2006 & 2007), they played "Rough Justice" in one, and "Rain Fall Down" on the other. Basically the same as seeing them playing "Don't Stop" in 2003 or "Doom & Gloom" in 2013 (or, if you like, "Ghost Town" in 2022): one 'recent' song per show. Don't recall any of them getting that excited reaction from the audience.

Mick has said that he was disappointed by the reception of A BIGGER BANG material. But be honest, if we forget the casual fans and theoretically nice idea that 'great that they play new material', how many of us diehards actually was (a) waiting the show to hear some of these new songs, and (b) was that thrilled actually hearing them?

My picture is, some of it based on introspection, that we diehards like them having more setlist variance, and not that many war horses. But lets make a thought experiment. Think if Mick in 2006 had come to us diehards and says: 'we decided to do tomorrow a non-played track. Would you guys like to hear us doing "Laugh I Nearly Died" or "Time Waits For No One"? "She Saw Me Coming" or "Miss Amanda Jones"?' I am pretty sure where the preference had been. Surely there might be first some serious thinking:'yeah, "Laugh" is a great new song, and it would be great to hear it live. But damn, I have waited 30 years to hear that IORR gem live, and if there really is a chance to hear it now, I won't miss it..' Yeah, it 'looks good' that they play a new song - giving a glimpse of a 'living and breathing band' - but I would claim that in practise a bigger pleasure comes from hearing something non-usual from the past. The nostalgia comes in many colors. The Stones cannot really win with their new material. In the end, I don't think there is much difference between the casual and diehard fans. The casuals want to hear "Start Me Up", while the diehards "Slave".

I think this is something Mick and the lads have figured out a long time ago. They know their conservative audiences. I don'think that it happened not until A BIGGER BANG tour. I think this has been the tendency at least since STEEL WHEELS tour. For years the new songs belonged to the picture (you need to have a new album to 'justify' a tour), the band played them, and the audience, out of loyalty, 'accepted' them being played, but not being too thrilled (probably some "Out of Control" being an expection to a rule). Nowadays the result is that the relationship between a great Stones show and new music is minimal (aesthetic at most). No matter how great "Living in A Ghost Town" is (according at least to my taste), I am pretty sure they charmed the audiences better with "Out of Time" in recent European tour.

- Doxa

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 2022-09-20 14:52 by Doxa.

Date: September 20, 2022 14:17

retired_dog
ProfessorWolf
maybe steve or glyn

I think you and a few others here discuss problems that the Stones themselves actually don't have - there is no writer's block, lack of material, lack of trust in whoever the producer is, no Mick vs. Keith fight over the musical direction or whatever.

It's just that the new album is not the top priority for them, that is touring and the income it generates (see the thread about "Stones Sixty" being their most successful European Tour to date!). And they care a shit what other artists do - like "well, if they want to spend time and effort to release album after album that are usually forgotten within weeks after their release dates, let 'em!"

However, actually they did record new material here and there since a couple of years. I think it's fair to say that with Charlie still on board, they would have finished the album in time for their 60th Anniversary. Charlie's demise - and nothing else!- is the only problem they had to complete the album, unfortunately a problem they could nothing do about.

It remains to be seen if there's any value in Chuck's recent guess that finally 2023 will be the year of release. Until then, we can continue this thread with the same old, same old blah that's been discussed a thousand times, if not more, already.

your probably right

but at this point one guess is as good as another

mick says don't hold your breath

chuck says next year

who can tellsmiling smiley

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: September 21, 2022 14:52

Curious question and probably nobody knows the answer. If and when a new stones album comes out will Don Was still be involved. Kind of hoping he’s not

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: September 21, 2022 16:58

Bashlets
Curious question and probably nobody knows the answer. If and when a new stones album comes out will Don Was still be involved. Kind of hoping he’s not

I honestly think that at this point in time, it does not really matter as no producer in Don Was' league could either destroy a good song or polish a turd so the difference between producers would be pretty minimal unless the Stones would accept someone who's not starstruck and tell 'em whatever truth about any given material. Someone who would not let stuff like, for example, "Infamy" or "Sweet NeoCon" anywhere near a finished album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-09-21 16:59 by retired_dog.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 21, 2022 17:26

Doxa
Big Al
More Hot Rocks
GasLightStreet
Hairball
exhpart

That's all we know.

Rough Justice
Streets of Love
Rain Fall Down
Back of My Hand
Oh No, Not You Again
It Won’t Take Long
Infamy
This Place Is Empty

In two A BIGGER BANG shows I saw in Europe (2006 & 2007), they played "Rough Justice" in one, and "Rain Fall Down" on the other. Basically the same as seeing them playing "Don't Stop" in 2003 or "Doom & Gloom" in 2013 (or, if you like, "Ghost Town" in 2022): one 'recent' song per show. Don't recall any of them getting that excited reaction from the audience.

Mick has said that he was disappointed by the reception of A BIGGER BANG material. But be honest, if we forget the casual fans and theoretically nice idea that 'great that they play new material', how many of us diehards actually was (a) waiting the show to hear some of these new songs, and (b) was that thrilled actually hearing them?

My picture is, some of it based on introspection, that we diehards like them having more setlist variance, and not that many war horses. But lets make a thought experiment. Think if Mick in 2006 had come to us diehards and says: 'we decided to do tomorrow a non-played track. Would you guys like to hear us doing "Laugh I Nearly Died" or "Time Waits For No One"? "She Saw Me Coming" or "Miss Amanda Jones"?' I am pretty sure where the preference had been. Surely there might be first some serious thinking:'yeah, "Laugh" is a great new song, and it would be great to hear it live. But damn, I have waited 30 years to hear that IORR gem live, and if there really is a chance to hear it now, I won't miss it..' Yeah, it 'looks good' that they play a new song - giving a glimpse of a 'living and breathing band' - but I would claim that in practise a bigger pleasure comes from hearing something non-usual from the past. The nostalgia comes in many colors. The Stones cannot really win with their new material. In the end, I don't think there is much difference between the casual and diehard fans. The casuals want to hear "Start Me Up", while the diehards "Slave".

I think this is something Mick and the lads have figured out a long time ago. They know their conservative audiences. I don'think that it happened not until A BIGGER BANG tour. I think this has been the tendency at least since STEEL WHEELS tour. For years the new songs belonged to the picture (you need to have a new album to 'justify' a tour), the band played them, and the audience, out of loyalty, 'accepted' them being played, but not being too thrilled (probably some "Out of Control" being an expection to a rule). Nowadays the result is that the relationship between a great Stones show and new music is minimal (aesthetic at most). No matter how great "Living in A Ghost Town" is (according at least to my taste), I am pretty sure they charmed the audiences better with "Out of Time" in recent European tour.

- Doxa

Doxa, you have an ability to cut through the sh*t with a razor blade. Perfect analysis.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: September 21, 2022 19:50

They're run like a business instead of a band. Putting out new music or playing obscure material live doesn't make sense for Rolling Stones, Inc.

What about art?

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: September 21, 2022 21:51

Send It To me
They're run like a business instead of a band. Putting out new music or playing obscure material live doesn't make sense for Rolling Stones, Inc.

What about art?

As live band the Rolling Stones seem much in need of feedback from their audiences. That supposed fact makes the band dependent on the audiences' familiarity with the songs in the setlists. That also contributes to reduce the incentives for the Stones to create new music.

As much as I would have wanted it otherwise, and I really do, I am afraid that this is how it is.

Date: September 21, 2022 22:12

I have a feeling there will be another Mick solo tune ala Easy Sleazy before a new Stones album ever happens.
And if so, hopefully Keith will also release something on his own...it's already been over seven years since Crosseyed Heart.
There's the unreleased Keith solo version of One More Shot that preceeded the Stones version, and according to Steve Jordan Keith's is the better version.
Would love to hear it someday, along with other unreleased Keith material that's been buried in the vaults. New Stones album? Not holding my breath....

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 22, 2022 07:24

Doxa
Big Al
More Hot Rocks
GasLightStreet
Hairball
exhpart

That's all we know.

Rough Justice
Streets of Love
Rain Fall Down
Back of My Hand
Oh No, Not You Again
It Won’t Take Long
Infamy
This Place Is Empty

- Doxa

Look at the albums since 1986. They performed about half of STEEL WHEELS between 1989 and 1990 - and have kept some in here and there since.

Evolving band.

1994 they played, what, maybe 5 songs?

Evolving band.

1997-1999 about the same.

Evolving band.

LICKS onward... they are The Beach Boys.

BANG was really good at first... but it turned sour and they basically stopped playing songs from it

With exception to BLUE AND LONESOME, they've been nothing but The Beach Boys ever since.

So if they do finish the supposed new album, and it does come out, I hope they see the relevance of releasing a new LP just as before in the past - play roughly half of it live.

Otherwise, release it and ignore it on the next hits tour.

Artists or imitators?

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: September 22, 2022 13:09

retired_dog
ProfessorWolf
maybe steve or glyn

A cigar in a gold cigar case for you my friend. In my opinion you have petty much nailed it. 'It' being the reason why no new material has emerged for such a long time. And is unlikely to now.

My only SLIGHT reservation regards your contention that they would have completed a new album in time for the 60th had Charlie lived. I am unconvinced about that. But, hey, I might be wrong.

Right now the big bucks are in touring, and reliving past glories, music wise. Perhaps we will see more re-polished treasures from the back catalogue - like Out Of Time - appearing on future tours? That is if there are any further tours. Because that depends on so many factors even The Stones have little or no control over. The health of the band members, Covid, World safety in the era of Putin to name just three. We keep our fingers crossed on each of those.

Having just seen that The Beatles have all manner of refreshed & expanded versions of Revolver up and ready to hit the shops at the end of October, makes me hope that we might see the same happening to It's Only Rock 'n' Roll in the not too distant future.

We shall see!

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: September 23, 2022 12:15

GerardHennessy

Right now the big bucks are in touring…

How I quoted the right poster here…oh not, apologies. Trying to do this on a small iPhone!

How many MORE BIG BUCKS do they need to relieve us of? At their age, they really should already be WAY more than comfortably set up for both themselves and their kids..

Rod

Posted by: MAYO ()
Date: September 23, 2022 14:35

I Suggest stop writting concernig this matter up to real news comes out.

it is increasing boring to be speculating about and have a deppresing effect

Talk realities

Date: September 23, 2022 14:41

MAYO
I Suggest stop writting concernig this matter up to real news comes out.

it is increasing boring to be speculating about and have a deppresing effect

Talk realities

This thread is for speculating.

This link is for real news.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 23, 2022 14:53

I don't get this, in my view opportunistic, idea that the band always make the right choices, that playing the same songs all over again keeping out almost all new material after 1972 is a wise decision by Jagger et al and that it is stupid and impudent by fans to ask for anything else.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-09-23 14:56 by Stoneage.

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: September 23, 2022 15:23

One More Shot is terrible all the way

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...542543544545546547548549550551552...LastNext
Current Page: 547 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1482
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home