Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...538539540541542543544545546547548...LastNext
Current Page: 543 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2022?
Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: August 16, 2022 13:08

we are either way too sappy then the other day just raving mad typewriter monkeys again

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: August 16, 2022 18:40

DandelionPowderman
z
treaclefingers
Rocky Dijon
Somewhere there are children growing up reading this message board who aspire to one day earn an "or something" from you. Though your old user name is missed.

You're clearly conflating me for someone who may be dead or as they say in German, Tod.

Is Tod dead..?

I think he was on the Euro-tour, so no. He is not "tot" smiling smiley

Either way, I miss him here.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: August 16, 2022 20:58

The guy is presumed dead too often. He told me he isn't here anymore because we bore him to shreds but he can't seem to stay away from the shows.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 16, 2022 21:02

If we're referring to StonesTod, I remember him way back when he used to go by Stonesbreath, but that might have been the name he used on shidoobee.
He was always funny, opinionated, and highly critical of various aspects of the Stones. Not sure what happened to him, but hope he's still alive!
But maybe this about another Tod.............a German Tod (?)......hope he's still alive also.....

Posted by: rolling1us ()
Date: August 16, 2022 21:08

Tod is German for dead, guys.

Posted by: z ()
Date: August 16, 2022 21:16

Is Tod German..?!

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: August 16, 2022 22:51

I heard he's Kosher, but I've never checked.

Date: August 16, 2022 22:57

rolling1us

My German teacher said 'tot', but languages may evolve smiling smiley

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: August 16, 2022 23:02

DandelionPowderman
rolling1us

My German teacher said 'tot', but languages may evolve smiling smiley

tot = dead
Tod = death

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 16, 2022 23:20

Some Australian guy .... Stones Doug...... GAZZA .... Adrian ..... StonesTod

Cabbage Patch Hotel -- Twickenham 2006

ROCKMAN

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 17, 2022 04:35

DandelionPowderman
<heard the Stones doing Worried About You in concert a couple years or so back. It's not the same with Mick Taylor's fluid, soaring lead>

I assume you meant it's not the same without Taylor's lead?

However, Mick Taylor has never played on that track.

Holy crap that hurt my head just reading that!

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: August 17, 2022 04:43

I watched the "Worried About You" music video. It's not the same with Woody miming Wayne Perkins' recycled solo from "Hand of Fate." Keith putting a consoling hand on Mick's shoulder at the end after they dance uncomfortably close together is even funnier than "Dancing in the Street" with Bowie.

Date: August 17, 2022 05:07

Rocky Dijon
I watched the "Worried About You" music video. It's not the same with Woody miming Wayne Perkins' recycled solo from "Hand of Fate." Keith putting a consoling hand on Mick's shoulder at the end after they dance uncomfortably close together is even funnier than "Dancing in the Street" with Bowie.

But Mick's excellent lip syncing and Keith strumming phantom guitar licks! It's like they didn't really know the song!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 17, 2022 06:54

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
<heard the Stones doing Worried About You in concert a couple years or so back. It's not the same with Mick Taylor's fluid, soaring lead>

I assume you meant it's not the same without Taylor's lead?

However, Mick Taylor has never played on that track.

Holy crap that hurt my head just reading that!

Crap. I did mean without. My bad. Yes, Wayne Perkins. Still, it does soar. Maybe they should have brought in highly talented guests over the years to add a little punch on guitar, like they did with those two cuts with Eric on Blue and Lonesome.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 18, 2022 16:15

Wayne Perkins would have been a good fit if the brief was simply to find somebody to do what MT did .

The overall sound of the band would have changed much less than it did with Ronnie.

Maybe some folks would have preferred that ? ...but I'm happy with what we got .

Posted by: BN78 ()
Date: August 18, 2022 16:25

Rockman

Talk about your iconic photos... I saw the same one hanging up in a dive bar off Bourbon Street last year smileys with beer

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 18, 2022 16:54

Hairball
If we're referring to StonesTod, I remember him way back when he used to go by Stonesbreath, but that might have been the name he used on shidoobee.
He was always funny, opinionated, and highly critical of various aspects of the Stones. Not sure what happened to him, but hope he's still alive!
But maybe this about another Tod.............a German Tod (?)......hope he's still alive also.....

StonesTod?! Are you kidding?!!

He's the Bania of the StonesWorld. Why indeed do they call it 'ovaltine'. The jar's round, the mug's round, why not call it 'roundtine'?

This is the guy you slavishly salivate over? The guy that is the faux follower of the GRNRBITW?

He's a hack! OH, and by the way, soup is NOT a meal!

Date: August 19, 2022 05:21

Spud
Wayne Perkins would have been a good fit if the brief was simply to find somebody to do what MT did .

The overall sound of the band would have changed much less than it did with Ronnie.

Maybe some folks would have preferred that ? ...but I'm happy with what we got .

The poor sound of SOME GIRLS aside, what Ronnie added to that and ER remains an incredible sound of the band. His last hurrah, so to speak, was what he did on UNDERCOVER because since then he's been extremely silenced.

A shame.

Date: August 19, 2022 06:49

GasLightStreet
Spud

The poor sound of SOME GIRLS aside, what Ronnie added to that and ER remains an incredible sound of the band. His last hurrah, so to speak, was what he did on UNDERCOVER because since then he's been extremely silenced.

A shame.

Interesting that more of a songwriting partnership hadn't developed between Mick and Ronnie or Keith and Ronnie.

The three of them have been credited on a few, I think most notably Dance, but I wonder why it didn't happen. Would Keith have been jealous?

Just seems strange that if it's so hard for M and K to write together they wouldn't at least involve Ronnie in the process.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 19, 2022 09:29

BN78
Rockman

Talk about your iconic photos... I saw the same one hanging up in a dive bar off Bourbon Street last year smileys with beer

And if you zoom in on Gazza’s t-shirt, you’ll notice a head in the bottom right-hand corner. That’s me!

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: August 19, 2022 09:55

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
Spud

A shame.

Interesting that more of a songwriting partnership hadn't developed between Mick and Ronnie or Keith and Ronnie.

The three of them have been credited on a few, I think most notably Dance, but I wonder why it didn't happen. Would Keith have been jealous?

Just seems strange that if it's so hard for M and K to write together they wouldn't at least involve Ronnie in the process.

That's a very interesting question, indeed. I always had the impression that since the Stones "orchestrated" their live sound since 1989, relying more on replicating the studio originals instead of creating unique live versions, Ronnie's input more and more diminished and a certain "laziness" crept in as in taking his role in the Stones for granted. Add to that the fact that at that time, his services as a songwriter were not exactly needed because Jagger and Richards were still able to come up with great material, either written alone or as a team. By the time of recording A Bigger Bang, his creative role was minimized to the addition of a few solos on otherwise finished tracks - and, if anything, this was the album that could have greatly benefitted from some input outside of the Jagger/Richards team. Is he lacking the ideas or don't Jagger/Richards just let him contribute? However, I never heard any claims that he brought something to the table that was neglected by them.

Date: August 19, 2022 10:00

<Would Keith have been jealous?>

On the contrary, I think Keith made this happen. Perhaps to annoy Mick a wee bit, but most likely because Ronnie and Keith did play a lot together, just the two of them, during this time.

Posted by: ukcal ()
Date: August 19, 2022 11:03

Did Keef and Ron not spend 3 months or so working on Ideas for Dirty work while Sir Mick went solo?

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: August 19, 2022 13:56

ukcal
Did Keef and Ron not spend 3 months or so working on Ideas for Dirty work while Sir Mick went solo?

i've always though of dirty work as a keith and ronnie album with mick providing lyrics

Date: August 19, 2022 17:05

DandelionPowderman

On the contrary, I think Keith made this happen. Perhaps to annoy Mick a wee bit, but most likely because Ronnie and Keith did play a lot together, just the two of them, during this time.

OK, so you think Mick wasn't comfortable evolving Ronnie into songwriting status? I mean in the last 20 years surely the 'rules' around songwriting could have been thrown out the window.

Date: August 19, 2022 17:07

ProfessorWolf
ukcal

i've always though of dirty work as a keith and ronnie album with mick providing lyrics

Ha ha...so is what is being unsaid here that they gave Ronnie a try and he failed? Chuck was also given a credit on Back to Zero, arguably the worst song in the stones canon...and we all know how many songwriting credits he's had since.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: August 19, 2022 18:52

Keith championed Ronnie’s credits on DW, in part, because he thought Mick was being uppity for claiming sole authorship on some of those She’s the Boss songs. Ronnie has come to songwriting sessions with tapes of ideas as recently as 2002. My hunch is that Mick is the one who keeps Ronnie frozen out - judging from the apparent difficulty that Keith has in getting Mick to entertain his ideas!

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: August 19, 2022 19:00

how do we know mick and keith haven't used many of ronnie's ideas over the years and just not given him credit

he would be far from the first person they've done that to

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: August 19, 2022 19:12

ProfessorWolf
how do we know mick and keith haven't used many of ronnie's ideas over the years and just not given him credit

he would be far from the first person they've done that to

We can’t say for sure, obviously. But MJ and KR wrote in Barbados and brought songs to Ireland for VL. Ronnie was a mess during B2B; Waddy is all over that record as a result. And Keith barely had anything to do with composing ABB, outside of maybe three or four songs.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 19, 2022 20:28

Can you gamble on a new Stones album in 2022 at the bookmaker's? What will the odds be? 1/10?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...538539540541542543544545546547548...LastNext
Current Page: 543 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1322
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home