Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...536537538539540541542543544545546...LastNext
Current Page: 541 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2022?
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 11, 2022 00:24

doitywoik
LorenzAgain
Hairball
Due to the writers block and/or Mick and Keiths inability to write together anymore, maybe they could record some new and updated versions of some of their early originals.
Contemporary cover versions of their own tunes! Might be farfetched, but consider the writings already done...just give the tunes a facelift, and they could almost sound brand new.
Probably not the best idea, but could possibly be better than nothing. A new version of Satisfaction in 2022 from the current Stones? Or Get Off of My Cloud? Or an updated version of Tell Me? Why not...

No please, that would be horrible, I’d be so disappointed.

Once a seasoned group starts to put out albums of new versions of their older material you know they're finished.

Agreed. Plus, isn't that what a live album does anyway?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 11, 2022 07:23

retired_dog
Witness
bitusa2012
Hairball
Due to the writers block and/or Mick and Keiths inability to write together anymore, maybe they could record some new and updated versions of some of their early originals.
Contemporary cover versions of their own tunes! Might be farfetched, but consider the writings already done...just give the tunes a facelift, and they could almost sound brand new.
Probably not the best idea, but could possibly be better than nothing. A new version of Satisfaction in 2022 from the current Stones? Or Get Off of My Cloud? Or an updated version of Tell Me? Why not...

So go full circle and return to being a cover band? Of their own material? Or covers of covers?

A truly horrible idea.

For a hypothetical Rolling Stones that had continued quite regularly to make and release studio albums, like they did up to UNDERCOVER (and I have to add DIRTY WORK), also for the following years, something in the vein you suggest, could have been an interesting variation. I think not, however, for a Stones with studio album releases as far between, like they had from STEEL WHEELS until A BIGGER BANG, in the continuation as well. In the actual case with no releases of studio albums at all from the Rolling Stones after A BIGGER BANG, apart from BLUE & LONESOME, I must apologize, but I have to say that I find that idea completely out of place.

I know from "inside Virgin Records" sources that the Stones had threatened to re-record ABKCO-era material for 40 Licks in case ABKCO weren't willing to cooperate for this career-spanning compilation. While commercially understandable considering their split copyrights situation, I personally found a move like that artistically desastrous already back then. If they would do it now, I even think it would just pollute their catalog. I mean, we have tons of official live recordings, what "new & updated" studio re-recordings could add to their legacy I just am totally unable to imagine, even under "better than nothing" aspects. I'm well aware that a lot of lesser acts have released re-recordings of their famous material over the years, usually when they switched record companies, but in the end, record buyers usually seek for the originals.

It's been hard enough to accept that the Stones have turned into a golden oldies live act over the years, but releasing re-recordings would turn them into a travesty imo.

Historically it seems to be of a control issue. Publishing etc.

The Stones gave that up a long time ago and have seemingly figured things out since.

Def Leppard dipped into it for their own reasons (with a fantastic version, actually) because of what Universal was doing to them.

The same label that owns ALL the Rolling Stones releases.

Why would the Stones re-record ABKCO era songs?

Can you imagine being a band, artist, etc, having to cover yourself? "Hey let's do this song again and sound like we did in..."

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: August 11, 2022 08:48

"the Shadows" have done it...!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 11, 2022 08:54

Aerosmith and Run DMC - Walk This Way

Date: August 11, 2022 21:40

Hairball
Aerosmith and Run DMC - Walk This Way

So maybe the Stones and Eminem, or Kendrick Lamar, doing Jumping Jack Flash?

Date: August 11, 2022 22:08

Eric Clapton recorded his cover of After Midnight twice - first in 1970, then again in 1987.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: August 11, 2022 22:45

Just to remember...the Stones have done it on Stripped. Several new studio versions of own material and covers.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: August 11, 2022 23:04

treaclefingers
doitywoik
LorenzAgain
Hairball

No please, that would be horrible, I’d be so disappointed.

Once a seasoned group starts to put out albums of new versions of their older material you know they're finished.

Agreed. Plus, isn't that what a live album does anyway?

Not necessarily. Think of Deep Purple's Made In Japan. One of the greatest live albums of all time. And came out even before Machine Head came out with the original versions of the songs.

But in a sense, yeah, in terms of live albums they never reached that peak again.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 12, 2022 01:07

Hairball
Mabru
When Ghost Town came out I really thought we could expect more maybe not a full album but an EP with 4 or 5 songs. Hopefully we still get some new songs although I’m not really counting on it

I thought so also, at least another single...especially prior to this recent run of shows, but no dice.
Speaking of Ghost Town, now that Mick caught Covid himself very recently (and thankfully recovered quickly), perhaps a Ghost Town pt. II is in order...
Instead of the hint of reggae as in the great original version, maybe a hint of country for the new version....slow and sad country...sort of like an old hymn out on the prairie...

Mini people have mini ideas.

- Doxa

Date: August 12, 2022 01:09

Hairball

- Doxa

Date: August 12, 2022 01:18

Let's see how many awful ideas to mock the Stones this mini fan/troll called Hairball is able to come with. A pretty good start.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-12 01:47 by Doxa.

Date: August 12, 2022 01:35

Another drunken insult from little old man Doxa...

Date: August 12, 2022 01:48

Hairball
Another drunken insult from little old man Doxa...

- Doxa

Date: August 12, 2022 02:24

hockenheim95
Just to remember...the Stones have done it on Stripped. Several new studio versions of own material and covers.

They did, and it was a good idea at the time, though some of the tunes would have probably been better left alone.
But many fans still enjoy some of it (or all of it), and not sure why anyone would be against it happening again.

It would be an even better idea now considering it's been 17 years and counting since A Bigger Bang, and they still can't seem to finish an album.
Maybe they could focus on the latter era....a contemporary remake of some of their lesser know tunes in an attempt to give them a second chance at life.
But as the old saying goes, you can't polish a turd and expect any improvement, so they would have to choose wisely - avoid Streets of love at all costs!
Whatever the case, it would be a good way to shake off the cobwebs and finally break through the wall... Saint of Me 2023...bring it on....

Date: August 12, 2022 02:32

Hairball
hockenheim95

They did, and it was a good idea at the time, though some of the tunes would have probably been better left alone.
But many fans still enjoy some of it (or all of it), and not sure why anyone would be against it happening again.

It would be an even better idea now considering it's been 17 years and counting since A Bigger Bang, and they still can't seem to finish an album.
Maybe they could focus on the latter era....a contemporary remake of some of their lesser know tunes in an attempt to give them a second chance at life.
But as the old saying goes, you can't polish a turd and expect any improvement, so they would have to choose wisely - avoid Streets of love at all costs!
Whatever the case, it would be a good way to shake off the cobwebs and finally break through the wall... Saint of Me 2023...bring it on....

Do you rag on your family that way with the same 'observations' multiple times a day. Lemme tell ya...it's gettin' a bit old!

Date: August 12, 2022 02:45

I look forward to the day when there's a brand new Stones album, or at least another new single, and yes it's admittedly frustrating...
I guess the truth can be painful, but this is the "New Stones album for 2022?" thread, and the fact is it's been been 17 years since ABB, and still no new album of originals.
No doubt the thread title will be changed again to "New Stones album for 2023?", and hopefully by then we won't have to think about 18 years and counting...

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: August 12, 2022 03:10

Keep posting the same thing over and over again, day after day (17 years and counting, no album of originals...) won't bring the new album any time sooner.

Date: August 12, 2022 03:14

Hairball
No doubt the thread title will be changed again to "New Stones album for 2023?", and hopefully by then we won't have to think about 18 years and counting...

This is August already. Just give it a few more months and we're right there ... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: August 12, 2022 03:26

doitywoik
Hairball

This is August already. Just give it a few more months and we're right there ... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

And considering they just finished a tour, no doubt they're currently on a lengthy break of rest, relaxation, family time, hibernation, etc., etc., etc. that will go on for at least the next few months.
Maybe georgelicks can give us some updates from his insider sources like he used to - if and when there's anything worthy to report that is. But in the meantime, 17 years and counting...still no new album of originals....

Date: August 12, 2022 05:14

hockenheim95

Didn't change the publishing.

Date: August 12, 2022 05:17

Hairball
I look forward to the day when there's a brand new Stones album, or at least another new single, and yes it's admittedly frustrating...
I guess the truth can be painful, but this is the "New Stones album for 2022?" thread, and the fact is it's been been 17 years since ABB, and still no new album of originals.

At least get the date right, you can't just go by a changing of the year, it needs to be specific: 9-6-2005.

It won't be 18 years until September 6, 2023.

Basically one generation.

Date: August 12, 2022 05:22

GasLightStreet
Hairball

At least get the date right, you can't just go by a changing of the year, it needs to be specific: 9-6-2005.

OF COURSE!

They're timing it for a whole new generation of Stones fans!

Date: August 13, 2022 01:26

treaclefingers

That is, one-chord songs (should be fine with Keith), auto-tune (Mick always the experimenter, should be fine too), some computer-generated drum beats (they'll find someone this is fine with), ... sounds like no big problem grinning smiley

Date: August 13, 2022 08:30

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
Hairball

OF COURSE!

Hopefully they won't have such an embarrassment of a stage again.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: August 13, 2022 08:47

GasLightStreet
retired_dog
Witness
bitusa2012
Hairball

So go full circle and return to being a cover band? Of their own material? Or covers of covers?

A truly horrible idea.

For a hypothetical Rolling Stones that had continued quite regularly to make and release studio albums, like they did up to UNDERCOVER (and I have to add DIRTY WORK), also for the following years, something in the vein you suggest, could have been an interesting variation. I think not, however, for a Stones with studio album releases as far between, like they had from STEEL WHEELS until A BIGGER BANG, in the continuation as well. In the actual case with no releases of studio albums at all from the Rolling Stones after A BIGGER BANG, apart from BLUE & LONESOME, I must apologize, but I have to say that I find that idea completely out of place.

I know from "inside Virgin Records" sources that the Stones had threatened to re-record ABKCO-era material for 40 Licks in case ABKCO weren't willing to cooperate for this career-spanning compilation. While commercially understandable considering their split copyrights situation, I personally found a move like that artistically desastrous already back then. If they would do it now, I even think it would just pollute their catalog. I mean, we have tons of official live recordings, what "new & updated" studio re-recordings could add to their legacy I just am totally unable to imagine, even under "better than nothing" aspects. I'm well aware that a lot of lesser acts have released re-recordings of their famous material over the years, usually when they switched record companies, but in the end, record buyers usually seek for the originals.

It's been hard enough to accept that the Stones have turned into a golden oldies live act over the years, but releasing re-recordings would turn them into a travesty imo.

Historically it seems to be of a control issue. Publishing etc.

The Stones gave that up a long time ago and have seemingly figured things out since.

Def Leppard dipped into it for their own reasons (with a fantastic version, actually) because of what Universal was doing to them.

The same label that owns ALL the Rolling Stones releases.

Can you imagine being a band, artist, etc, having to cover yourself? "Hey let's do this song again and sound like we did in..."

Your reply has little to nothing to do with what I posted. Not the first time! Is my English really THAT bad? Please read again. PROPERLY!

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 13, 2022 09:00

GasLightStreet
Hairball

Perhaps they could title the new album ‘Eighteen Years in the Can’, or, ‘Eighteen Years in the Making’? It can feature eighteen tracks!

Posted by: KeVvV2011 ()
Date: August 13, 2022 12:41

1 year of work, 18 hanging around

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: August 13, 2022 14:52

2022 is more or less over

Date: August 13, 2022 17:03

retired_dog

For the same reasons Taylor Swift redid her albums Fearless and Red.

(Yet I don't think it would be a good idea if the Stones really did it.)

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 13, 2022 18:28

Ah, 541 pages about nothing. Seinfeld would be so proud.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...536537538539540541542543544545546...LastNext
Current Page: 541 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1738
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home