Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...535536537538539540541542543544545...LastNext
Current Page: 540 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2022?
Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: August 8, 2022 01:09

I think that when you have experienced one or more "club shows" of the 2002/2003 Licks Tour, you're a damn lucky Stones fan. All those "odd" songs on the set lists is what a diehard (but not only) Rolling Stones fan is dreaming about all the time.
I think the Stones could easily take some more risks, because Out of Time proved that it can work to add "odd" songs to the set list. Thanks to the enthousiasm of the Madrid fans that song settled itself as a "classic" on the set list of this SIXTY tour.
If it would not have worked out, they could have skipped that song for the remaining 13 shows and they could easily have tried another odd one. Maybe a song like Yesterday's Papers would have worked as a sing along song? Or The Last Time or Tell Me?
I remember Saint of Me was very popular during concerts in the Netherlands.
If you don't try, you'll never know, right?

Anyway, Keith sort of promissed (?) a new album in 2023, dedicated to Charlie Watts off course.

smileys with beer

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 8, 2022 07:27

Saint Of Me is not an old song in the context of Out Of Time.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 8, 2022 08:37

GasLightStreet

I wonder why Saint of Me hasn’t been performed since 2003? It was an absolute show-stopper during the Bridges to Babylon Tour. Out of Control is still a highlight.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: August 8, 2022 08:45

Like georgie48, I think Tell Me would work great as a singalong. It would be a love song between a performer and his audience, with Mick explaining he needs the audience’s love - and the audience telling him they’re coming back.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 8, 2022 14:53

bam
Like georgie48, I think Tell Me would work great as a singalong. It would be a love song between a performer and his audience, with Mick explaining he needs the audience’s love - and the audience telling him they’re coming back.

Make that three of us! I’m in agreement, too. Tell Me (You’re Coming Back) has the potential for a terrific audience sing-a-long. Considering how unexpected – and unknown to many, I’m sure – Out of Time was, one has to ponder: why not? I think it’d work wonderfully. As this tour is a celebration of 60-years as a group, why not perform the first-ever released Jagger-Richards original? It gets my vote, anyway!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 8, 2022 21:57

Due to the writers block and/or Mick and Keiths inability to write together anymore, maybe they could record some new and updated versions of some of their early originals.
Contemporary cover versions of their own tunes! Might be farfetched, but consider the writings already done...just give the tunes a facelift, and they could almost sound brand new.
Probably not the best idea, but could possibly be better than nothing. A new version of Satisfaction in 2022 from the current Stones? Or Get Off of My Cloud? Or an updated version of Tell Me? Why not...

Posted by: LorenzAgain ()
Date: August 8, 2022 22:13

Hairball
Due to the writers block and/or Mick and Keiths inability to write together anymore, maybe they could record some new and updated versions of some of their early originals.
Contemporary cover versions of their own tunes! Might be farfetched, but consider the writings already done...just give the tunes a facelift, and they could almost sound brand new.
Probably not the best idea, but could possibly be better than nothing. A new version of Satisfaction in 2022 from the current Stones? Or Get Off of My Cloud? Or an updated version of Tell Me? Why not...

No please, that would be horrible, I’d be so disappointed.
I wish they could just do another album like Bridges. Get good musicians on board, get Jack White who seems to be endlessly creative. I want them to do something relevant.

Posted by: Mabru ()
Date: August 8, 2022 22:13

When Ghost Town came out I really thought we could expect more maybe not a full album but an EP with 4 or 5 songs. Hopefully we still get some new songs although I’m not really counting on it

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 8, 2022 22:52

Mabru
When Ghost Town came out I really thought we could expect more maybe not a full album but an EP with 4 or 5 songs. Hopefully we still get some new songs although I’m not really counting on it

Maybe that's what will happen. Which would be great. If it is to be whittled down to the absolute best of what they've recorded and it is as good or better than Ghost Town than why not.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: August 9, 2022 02:55

Hairball

why update perfection?confused smiley

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: August 9, 2022 02:55

Nikkei
Do you think Stones PR is even still checking in on this thread? What if Mick got the Memo that Ian Billen has given up, then we're basically screwed

I'm pretty sure Ian is monitoring this thread and will be back precisely when the time is right! smiling smiley

Date: August 9, 2022 03:08

LorenzAgain
Hairball

No please, that would be horrible, I’d be so disappointed.

Once a seasoned group starts to put out albums of new versions of their older material you know they're finished.

Date: August 9, 2022 03:28

Mabru

I thought so also, at least another single...especially prior to this recent run of shows, but no dice.
Speaking of Ghost Town, now that Mick caught Covid himself very recently (and thankfully recovered quickly), perhaps a Ghost Town pt. II is in order...
Instead of the hint of reggae as in the great original version, maybe a hint of country for the new version....slow and sad country...sort of like an old hymn out on the prairie...

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: August 9, 2022 03:36

Hairball

So go full circle and return to being a cover band? Of their own material? Or covers of covers?

A truly horrible idea.

Rod

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 9, 2022 06:31

Big Al
GasLightStreet

I wonder why Saint of Me hasn’t been performed since 2003? It was an absolute show-stopper during the Bridges to Babylon Tour. Out of Control is still a highlight.

I always preferred Saint of Me until I saw OOC in concert. That really should be played more often. I think it could be considered a 'modern day classic'...only 25 years old!

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: August 9, 2022 09:46

bitusa2012
Hairball

So go full circle and return to being a cover band? Of their own material? Or covers of covers?

A truly horrible idea.

For a hypothetical Rolling Stones that had continued quite regularly to make and release studio albums, like they did up to UNDERCOVER (and I have to add DIRTY WORK), also for the following years, something in the vein you suggest, could have been an interesting variation. I think not, however, for a Stones with studio album releases as far between, like they had from STEEL WHEELS until A BIGGER BANG, in the continuation as well. In the actual case with no releases of studio albums at all from the Rolling Stones after A BIGGER BANG, apart from BLUE & LONESOME, I must apologize, but I have to say that I find that idea completely out of place.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: August 9, 2022 11:10

Witness
bitusa2012
Hairball

A truly horrible idea.

For a hypothetical Rolling Stones that had continued quite regularly to make and release studio albums, like they did up to UNDERCOVER (and I have to add DIRTY WORK), also for the following years, something in the vein you suggest, could have been an interesting variation. I think not, however, for a Stones with studio album releases as far between, like they had from STEEL WHEELS until A BIGGER BANG, in the continuation as well. In the actual case with no releases of studio albums at all from the Rolling Stones after A BIGGER BANG, apart from BLUE & LONESOME, I must apologize, but I have to say that I find that idea completely out of place.

I know from "inside Virgin Records" sources that the Stones had threatened to re-record ABKCO-era material for 40 Licks in case ABKCO weren't willing to cooperate for this career-spanning compilation. While commercially understandable considering their split copyrights situation, I personally found a move like that artistically desastrous already back then. If they would do it now, I even think it would just pollute their catalog. I mean, we have tons of official live recordings, what "new & updated" studio re-recordings could add to their legacy I just am totally unable to imagine, even under "better than nothing" aspects. I'm well aware that a lot of lesser acts have released re-recordings of their famous material over the years, usually when they switched record companies, but in the end, record buyers usually seek for the originals.

It's been hard enough to accept that the Stones have turned into a golden oldies live act over the years, but releasing re-recordings would turn them into a travesty imo.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: August 9, 2022 22:32

They have stuff in the can avec Charlie it will come out eventually

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 9, 2022 23:24

Updated versions of early originals ...

Stripped 1995 ........ Catch up ole boy

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 9, 2022 23:30

'The Spider and the Fly' on Stripped sounds better to me than the original from 1965.

Date: August 9, 2022 23:40

Never liked the Stripped version of Wild Horses...Mick's singing is way too exaggerated and over the top...
Even in the video, his mannerisms and overacting are hard to watch....

Date: August 10, 2022 02:44

Hhhhaaaaaa ... well what else woulda expect .....

Most people i know find it a beautiful version ...

ROCKMAN

Date: August 10, 2022 02:46

I think the recent SIXTY versions are WAY better.
It's one of my favorite Stones tunes, but not all versions are equal.

Date: August 10, 2022 02:49

I don't understand all the fuss, the album came out a few days ago and it's called Noise and Flowers ... oops, waitaminute, that's Neil Young ... (once again) spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: August 10, 2022 02:56

Well its nice ta know ya like something ...

ROCKMAN

Date: August 10, 2022 02:58

doitywoik
I don't understand all the fuss, the album came out a few days ago and it's called Noise and Flowers ... oops, waitaminute, that's Neil Young ... (once again) spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

I've lost track of all the new Neil releases in recent years....there's been new material, old material, never-before released material, live material, demos, Crazy Horse, Promise of the Real, etc., etc., etc.

A better question might be - what famous artist or band has NOT released any new original albums in the last couple of years.
There seems to be only one correct answer, and without naming any names (lol) it's right on front of us in this very thread.

Wrong answers:

Dylan
The Who
Springsteen
McCartney
Neil
And the list goes on...
Even ABBA released a new album for crying out loud!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-10 03:00 by Hairball.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: August 10, 2022 04:05

Rockman

Like me. Sublime

Rod

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: August 10, 2022 06:49

bitusa2012
Rockman

Like me. Sublime

Man, I even oftentimes like it better than the original!! I think the strain in Mick’s voice as he sings it is an absolute emotional shredder. I FEEL the heartache.

Date: August 10, 2022 08:00

..... guess years hittin the wall and fallin
from the jumpin' castle have taken a heavy toll....

but keep back for there may be a rubber-burnin' U-turn acomin' our way....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Shott ()
Date: August 10, 2022 23:25

This thread should be named "last place on earth to get actual facts relating to new Stones album."

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...535536537538539540541542543544545...LastNext
Current Page: 540 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1974
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home