Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...534535536537538539540541542543544...LastNext
Current Page: 539 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2022?
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 5, 2022 02:13

floodonthepage

I'd say the only Stones cover that I wouldn't be proud of (if I were Mick or Keith) is "My Girl". Otherwise I like what they've done with the covers they've done over the years.

Yes, and I'd add their meaningless cover of Under the Boardwalk also - they add nothing to it, and certainly didn't make it their own.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 5, 2022 05:54

Hairball
floodonthepage

I'd say the only Stones cover that I wouldn't be proud of (if I were Mick or Keith) is "My Girl". Otherwise I like what they've done with the covers they've done over the years.

Yes, and I'd add their meaningless cover of Under the Boardwalk also - they add nothing to it, and certainly didn't make it their own.

two excellent examples indeed.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: August 5, 2022 06:19

Hairball
floodonthepage

i like under the boardwalk but asmit it's far from the best version

but yeah my girl.....

pretty embarrassing

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 5, 2022 06:37

retired_dog
Hairball
retired_dog
Hairball
Regarding the Stones notoriously hitting the wall resulting in Blue and Lonesome - from Don Was:

"Around day three we just hit a wall... and Keith suggested that, to cleanse the creative palette, we played Blue and Lonesome, the Little Walter song.
Fortunately we ran the tape and it was just awesome. The whole mood of the room changed dramatically in those three-and-a-half minutes.
So we said, 'let's do another one', and 'let's do another one'. They just called songs off that they knew and loved. It was very spontaneous. And by the end of the day we had six"

Sounds like a plausible explanation to me, and can't see any reason to doubt Don Was who was producing the sessions.

It just sounds too good to be true for me - "Hey, they hit a wall with their original stuff, but it's the Stones, you know, they can hammer out a full album of blues covers in a couple of hours/days without further warning, no problem!"

Typical promo bullshit imo, and let's not forget, Don as their producer was part of the machinery.

If anyone believes that the Stones enter a recording studio without any agreement beforehand on the material they're going to record must also believe in fairytales. If any "hitting the wall" ever happened, it's far more likely that it was well before they entered the studio, at a time when they were exchanging their ideas/home demos, couldn't find an agreement and decided to record a blues cover album instead.

Not sure why Don Was would invent the "hitting the wall" story which has a negative tone to it, when he could have just said "we took a detour with some old blues covers",
or "we took a break and loosened up by playing some blues covers". Or something similar to what Ronnie mentions below with " we got on a blues streak".

Speaking of which, while Ronnie, Charlie, Keith, and Mick do not mention hitting the wall (why would they?), they all seem to be on the same page regarding the spontaneity and natural evolution of Blue and Lonesome.
It doesn't sound like it was prearranged, preplanned, or predetermined beforehand if you believe the quotes from the band members themselves.

"We went in to cut some new songs, which we did. But we got on a blues streak. We cut 11 blues in two days.
They are extremely great cover versions of Howlin' Wolf and Little Walter, among other blues people" - Ron Wood, 2016

"Don Was said to me, Can you go home tonight and make a list of what we're going to do? If we're going to do more blues, you'd better make a list...
I just went into my computer and went into the blues songs I had in there... and I made a list of what I thought we'd do that day and wrote it down
and went into the studio and I just shouted out Let's do this". - Mick, 2016

"It’s bloody hard to write songs. Here, instead of grinding out just one song, you’d do three or four.
And the next day you do another three. Nobody bothered with retakes – it wasn’t conceived as an album" - Charlie Watts, 2016

"It was only at the end, when we’d got 12 tracks and Don Was and I were talking together,
and Mick was there and he was saying, This is an album. You can’t chop this up". - Keith, 2016

Because "we took a detour with some old blues covers" or "we took a break and loosened up by playing some blues covers" may be factual, but sounds, well, boring, unexciting, while "hitting a wall" adds some drama to the story, and some Stones fans simply love some drama, see the ever popular "clash" between Mick and Keith...

It probably was as simple as Ronnie stated:

"We went in to cut some new songs, which we did. But we got on a blues streak. We cut 11 blues in two days.

No mention of "hitting the wall" by him (and not by any other member either, btw.), just: "We went in to cut some new songs, which we did. But we got on a blues streak. We cut 11 blues in two days."

Could very well be that the recording of a handful of blues covers was planned in advance for the album and/or possible b-sides and that this simply led to a "blues streak" that turned into a full blues covers album - without any dramatic "hitting the wall" turn of events.

Oh, and, of course, purely coincidentally Eric Clapton happened to be there to record some solos... As I've said, all to good to be true.

Although no Rolling Stone said they hit a wall, your idea of it "could very well be that the recording of a handful of blues covers was planned in advance..." is absurd - they've always recorded blues covers for album sessions.

So that eliminates that nonsense.

Eric Clapton, on the other hand... obviously he was around for whatever reason and words were exchanged that he wound up on the recordings.

Not dramatic at all. Or too good to be true. Because if the "it" of "too good to be true" came true, then the "it" is what it is.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 5, 2022 07:02

Wasnt Eric across the hall
recording in a different room at the same studio ......

ROCKMAN

Date: August 5, 2022 07:18

Blue & Lonesome Deluxe .....

ROCKMAN

Date: August 5, 2022 08:18

Rockman

Dang....I thought I had dirt on my screen!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 5, 2022 08:30

ProfessorWolf
Hairball
floodonthepage

i like under the boardwalk but asmit it's far from the best version

but yeah my girl.....
pretty embarrassing

They didn't exactly fire up Like A Rolling Stone. Their version just sits there. Nothing added. No new arrangement. Nothing. One of their few cover duds.

Date: August 5, 2022 08:35

treaclefingers
Rockman

yeah rockman your supposed to wash your hands after using the bathroomgrinning smiley

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 5, 2022 08:45

My Girl is pretty atrocious, as others have said. Recorded in ‘65, it was obviously considered a dud, until London decided to dig it out for Flowers, two whole years later. It should’ve been left on the cutting-room floor, as the Stones probably intended it to be!

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: August 5, 2022 10:37

GasLightStreet
retired_dog
Hairball
retired_dog
Hairball
Regarding the Stones notoriously hitting the wall resulting in Blue and Lonesome - from Don Was:

"Around day three we just hit a wall... and Keith suggested that, to cleanse the creative palette, we played Blue and Lonesome, the Little Walter song.
Fortunately we ran the tape and it was just awesome. The whole mood of the room changed dramatically in those three-and-a-half minutes.
So we said, 'let's do another one', and 'let's do another one'. They just called songs off that they knew and loved. It was very spontaneous. And by the end of the day we had six"

Sounds like a plausible explanation to me, and can't see any reason to doubt Don Was who was producing the sessions.

It just sounds too good to be true for me - "Hey, they hit a wall with their original stuff, but it's the Stones, you know, they can hammer out a full album of blues covers in a couple of hours/days without further warning, no problem!"

Typical promo bullshit imo, and let's not forget, Don as their producer was part of the machinery.

If anyone believes that the Stones enter a recording studio without any agreement beforehand on the material they're going to record must also believe in fairytales. If any "hitting the wall" ever happened, it's far more likely that it was well before they entered the studio, at a time when they were exchanging their ideas/home demos, couldn't find an agreement and decided to record a blues cover album instead.

Not sure why Don Was would invent the "hitting the wall" story which has a negative tone to it, when he could have just said "we took a detour with some old blues covers",
or "we took a break and loosened up by playing some blues covers". Or something similar to what Ronnie mentions below with " we got on a blues streak".

Speaking of which, while Ronnie, Charlie, Keith, and Mick do not mention hitting the wall (why would they?), they all seem to be on the same page regarding the spontaneity and natural evolution of Blue and Lonesome.
It doesn't sound like it was prearranged, preplanned, or predetermined beforehand if you believe the quotes from the band members themselves.

They are extremely great cover versions of Howlin' Wolf and Little Walter, among other blues people" - Ron Wood, 2016

"Don Was said to me, Can you go home tonight and make a list of what we're going to do? If we're going to do more blues, you'd better make a list...
I just went into my computer and went into the blues songs I had in there... and I made a list of what I thought we'd do that day and wrote it down
and went into the studio and I just shouted out Let's do this". - Mick, 2016

"It’s bloody hard to write songs. Here, instead of grinding out just one song, you’d do three or four.
And the next day you do another three. Nobody bothered with retakes – it wasn’t conceived as an album" - Charlie Watts, 2016

"It was only at the end, when we’d got 12 tracks and Don Was and I were talking together,
and Mick was there and he was saying, This is an album. You can’t chop this up". - Keith, 2016

Because "we took a detour with some old blues covers" or "we took a break and loosened up by playing some blues covers" may be factual, but sounds, well, boring, unexciting, while "hitting a wall" adds some drama to the story, and some Stones fans simply love some drama, see the ever popular "clash" between Mick and Keith...

It probably was as simple as Ronnie stated:

No mention of "hitting the wall" by him (and not by any other member either, btw.), just: "We went in to cut some new songs, which we did. But we got on a blues streak. We cut 11 blues in two days."

Could very well be that the recording of a handful of blues covers was planned in advance for the album and/or possible b-sides and that this simply led to a "blues streak" that turned into a full blues covers album - without any dramatic "hitting the wall" turn of events.

Oh, and, of course, purely coincidentally Eric Clapton happened to be there to record some solos... As I've said, all to good to be true.

Although no Rolling Stone said they hit a wall, your idea of it "could very well be that the recording of a handful of blues covers was planned in advance..." is absurd - they've always recorded blues covers for album sessions.

So that eliminates that nonsense.

Eric Clapton, on the other hand... obviously he was around for whatever reason and words were exchanged that he wound up on the recordings.

Not dramatic at all. Or too good to be true. Because if the "it" of "too good to be true" came true, then the "it" is what it is.

Thanks for trying to teach me with your semantics, but it looks like you have a problem reading properly and understanding my posts in their context, otherwise you must have noticed that I was trying to take the drama our own Hairball is adding to Don Was' "Hitting The Wall"-quote by constantly repeating and referring to it back to normal with some imo more reasonable interpretations - so in fact I'm doing quite the opposite of what you're accusing me for.

To counter my argumentation by saying that I'm talking "nonsense" and stating that "they've always recorded blues covers for album sessions" simply begs for the question how many blues covers they have actually recorded for Voodoo Lounge, Bridges and A Bigger Bang, as I can't remember that many, if any at all. And I mean "recorded", not loose warmup-jams. Oh, and "The Storm" and "Back Of My Hand" are originals, no covers. Just sayin'.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-05 11:50 by retired_dog.

Date: August 5, 2022 10:39

Stones stuff is dirty .... if ya want clean treacle
you'd be suckin on a jelly baby and spinnin' Lavatory Lil ... ...

ROCKMAN

Date: August 5, 2022 12:15

Sleepy City
Big Al
My Girl is pretty atrocious, as others have said. Recorded in ‘65, it was obviously considered a dud, until London decided to dig it out for Flowers, two whole years later. It should’ve been left on the cutting-room floor, as the Stones probably intended it to be!

It's one of my very favourite covers by the band. Seriously. But then, Between The Buttons is my all-time favourite album, so what do I know?!

apparently not what's on between the buttons

since my girls isn't on the us or uk versions

do you perhaps mean flowers?

Date: August 5, 2022 12:27

ProfessorWolf
Sleepy City
Big Al

It's one of my very favourite covers by the band. Seriously. But then, Between The Buttons is my all-time favourite album, so what do I know?!

I think he means that very few of us has Buttons as our favourite record smiling smiley

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: August 5, 2022 12:37

ProfessorWolf
Sleepy City
Big Al

His name is Sleepy City so that means he is a Between The Buttons fan but with an open mind

Date: August 5, 2022 12:42

Sleepy City
DandelionPowderman
ProfessorWolf
Sleepy City
Big Al

I think he means that very few of us has Buttons as our favourite record smiling smiley

Exactly that. I just love that whole period from late '65 to early '67.

'Flowers' is a great compilation. 'Ride On Baby' and 'Sittin' On A Fence' could've improved 'Aftermath' even further (perhaps replacing 'Take It Or Leave It' and 'What To Do').

ok i get what you mean then

and agree about between the buttons and flowers great album (british version) and compilation

in fact my first two stones albums where my mom's childhood mono vinyl copies of the us version of buttons and flowers

very worn copies but still great!

Date: August 6, 2022 05:38

Rockman

Stones stuff is dirty .... if ya want clean treacle
you'd be suckin on a jelly baby and spinnin' Lavatory Lil ... ...

Rockman!

Your 'lavatory lil' bitch slap of the Beatles is simply NOT catching on!

Good effort though!

Date: August 6, 2022 08:48

Ever so sorry treacle
should have known better than
to make fun of the things you love ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: August 6, 2022 17:52

Rockman
Ever so sorry treacle
should have known better than
to make fun of the things you love ....

Careful, Rockman... there more you mention this little ditty the more you make people curious... in the end it will become a super hit one day - all because of you!

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: August 6, 2022 17:56

Do you think Stones PR is even still checking in on this thread? What if Mick got the Memo that Ian Billen has given up, then we're basically screwed

Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: August 6, 2022 19:27

treaclefingers
Hairball
floodonthepage

Excellent examples you say, you are plain wrong, Under the Boardwalk is a classic and Mick's voice sounds great on it.

Date: August 7, 2022 03:38

Under the Boardwalk big hit down here .....
It floated from every radio and juke box across the land ....

Torquay ... The Arab in Lorne even sleepy Port Fairy
where retired farmers sunbake in overalls .... it ruled the air waves

Calmed rockers and turned their tuff guy strut to a groove stroll ....

Shaped the way we walked like Miss You did again many years later ....

Whats that saying ???? ..... Guess ya had ta be there

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 7, 2022 05:14

Rockman
Under the Boardwalk big hit down here .....
It floated from every radio and juke box across the land ....

Torquay ... The Arab in Lorne even sleepy Port Fairy
where retired farmers sunbake in overalls .... it ruled the air waves

Calmed rockers and turned their tuff guy strut to a groove stroll ....

Shaped the way we walked like Miss You did again many years later ....

Whats that saying ???? ..... Guess ya had ta be there

Huh. Was the original a hit? I know some places didn't get the originals to American songs. Mickie Most made a career out of by recording tunes that weren't getting to South Africa.

Date: August 7, 2022 06:02

ROCKMAN

Date: August 7, 2022 06:42

THE DRIFTERS - The Rise and Fall of the Black Vocal Band ---- Bill Miller

ROCKMAN

Date: August 7, 2022 07:21

skytrench
treaclefingers
Hairball
floodonthepage

Excellent examples you say, you are plain wrong, Under the Boardwalk is a classic and Mick's voice sounds great on it.

Oh yes...how mistaken I've been. Under the Boardwalk, pure stones classic! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: August 7, 2022 07:25

it's a great song by the drifters

and it's a good rolling stones cover

Date: August 8, 2022 00:39

Interesting that the Stones have only played Under the Boardwalk live twice.

According to setlist.fm:

Brisbane City Hall, Brisbane January 25, 1965
And nearly 50 years later w/special guest Aaron Neville at Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia, PA, June 21, 2013

They have so many other better cover tunes in their catalogue, and no doubt they realize that.

------------------------------------------------

*edit: Aaron had just released his own solo cover version in early 2013, which would explain the choice to do a live version w/the Stones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-08 00:50 by Hairball.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: August 8, 2022 00:53

I was at the Philadelphia/Aaron Neville show. Almost any song is improved by having Aaron Neville sing it -- and this one was fun, because of Neville. [www.youtube.com]

Agree that the Stones have many better cover tunes in their catalogue, and they no doubt realize that.

Date: August 8, 2022 00:59

Yes bam - Aaron definitely adds something special to that Philadelphia performance. He's a legend. thumbs up

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...534535536537538539540541542543544...LastNext
Current Page: 539 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1183
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home